Thank You Rex

drdetroit

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

For winning a couple meaningless games at the end of the 2014 season and costing us a shot at Jameis Winston.

Jameis is good. but, really, look at his surrounding cast. an OL that gives him a pocket. TEs that have pass catching ability.

Correction: We never had a shot at Winston after the Steelers game in November, which is when Rex should have been let go because we had the bye. The two wins in December cost us Mariota.

That season was so perfectly set up for a dump. We had the worst head coach in history waiting in the wings to be the interim and an excuse in Matt Simms to just say we want to evaluate him. it really is criminal how Woody handled that. Williams is fine, but those two games cost us a franchise quarterback and a shot at some real change. And then Idzik with that stupid ******* Harvin trade in the midst of it.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

games cost us a franchise quarterback and a shot at some real change.

A franchise QB with this OL and the WRs we had up until this year is just a recipe for injury or shell shock.

THIS YEAR, we have a shot at real change: a favorable draft position, a good number of picks, and not as many needs as we had two years ago.

6 minutes ago, phill1c said:

BTW, what was up with letting Cameron Wake get a free, unblocked shot at Petty?

Lets not forget Suh.

Petty said it was his fault, but I can't think of a scenario that it was on Petty.  Ball was snapped to early.

If that was the only time they had a free run at Petty it wouldn't be so bad, but they were breaking free on him all night.  OL did a very poor job.  

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Lets not forget Suh.

Petty said it was his fault, but I can't think of a scenario that it was on Petty.  Ball was snapped to early.

If that was the only time they had a free run at Petty it wouldn't be so bad, but they were breaking free on him all night.  OL did a very poor job.  

Maybe he called the wrong protections.

That said, I prefer this offense to one that never tests a defense deep. At least for a quarter or so...:-)

Anytime I watch good football, I'm struck at how much more athletic teams seem to be than my team. I mean, OL that are big and fast, YOUNG LBs and RBs with speed, edge rushers, WRs with size and speed, TEs, DBs.

The Jets still seem slow...and small in some positions. Hopefully this draft makes a big improvement in the athleticism of the team. That is what this team needs, not a 'franchise qb' and a bunch of stiffs.

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Correction: We never had a shot at Winston after the Steelers game in November, which is when Rex should have been let go because we had the bye. The two wins in December cost us Mariota.

That season was so perfectly set up for a dump. We had the worst head coach in history waiting in the wings to be the interim and an excuse in Matt Simms to just say we want to evaluate him. it really is criminal how Woody handled that. Williams is fine, but those two games cost us a franchise quarterback and a shot at some real change. And then Idzik with that stupid ******* Harvin trade in the midst of it.

Stated perfectly (though I didn't mind the Harvin trade, small detail)

Sometimes you just have to go all in and sh*t the bed.  We have uncanny timing to suck when there are not franchise QB's are coming out, so when they are and you already suck you need to go full '76ers.  There are no moral victories, nobody now feels good about winning those meangingless games 3 years ago but we'd feel good for 10 years had we lost those worthless games.  I was actively rooting for us to lose against the 49ers, pretty much every week since Fitz threw 6 INT's in 3 hours and I knew this season was over.  And I will continue to hope we lose every game until we find a QB like any decent fan should.

7 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Maybe he called the wrong protections.

That said, I prefer this offense to one that never tests a defense deep. At least for a quarter or so...:-)

Wasn't about protections, nobody on the line moved when the ball was snapped.  Didn't react until the the quick guys were behind them.  Very weird play.  Petty still made a really nice throw before being creamed  

3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

And I will continue to hope we lose every game until we find a QB like any decent fan should.

What is so different about Bryce Petty than Winston? Petty has an arm. Petty just doesn't have the experience or surrounding talent.

People get ideas in their heads and simply won't let it go, no matter how much reality intrudes. Winston looks good, as did Petty for a quarter or so. He needs experience.

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Stated perfectly (I didn't mind the Harvin trade, small detail)

Sometimes you just have to go all in and sh*t the be.  We have uncanny timing to suck when there are not franchise QB's are coming out, so when they are and you already suck you need to go full '76ers.  There are no moral victories, nobody now feels good about winning those meangingless games 3 years ago but we'd feel good for 10 years had we lost those worthless games.  I was actively rooting for us to lose against the 49ers, pretty much every week since Fitz threw 6 INT's in 3 hours and I knew this season was over.  And I will continue to hope we lose every game until we find a QB like any decent fan should.

Yup. Bad seasons are opportunities. One of the reasons the Jets shoot themselves in the foot so often is they refuse to just let themselves be bad. We could just as easily be looking at a future tandem of Beckham and Mariota on this team, but noooOOOOOOoooooo. Those pointless December wins in '13 and '14 are so much better than having that. And I can't wait to see what beating Rex in 2 weeks costs us in April.

1 minute ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The miss wasn't Winston. It was Carr. He could have been had easily and I wanted him to be a Jet badly.  He was pro ready day one but he had a shaky bowl fame and a bust brother and everybody overlooked his body of work and skills. Sad. The one that got away. 

the ONE? There's one every year...I mean they do have an NCAA season every year.

2 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

The miss wasn't Winston. It was Carr. He could have been had easily and I wanted him to be a Jet badly.  He was pro ready day one but he had a shaky bowl fame and a bust brother and everybody overlooked his body of work and skills. Sad. The one that got away. 

Carr was in the '14 draft, not 2015. We passed on both Bridgewater and him for Pryor.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Carr was in the '14 draft, not 2015. We passed on both Bridgewater and him for Pryor.

Yeah I'm aware of that. It was Idzik who threw his lot in with Geno and let Rex make his 1st round pick that year. Carr was the franchise QB we actually could have drafted. Winston and Marita weren't possibilities 

7 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Yeah I'm aware of that. It was Idzik who threw his lot in with Geno and let Rex make his 1st round pick that year. Carr was the franchise QB we actually could have drafted. Winston and Marita weren't possibilities 

Oakland has had a THIRTEEN YEAR playoff drought. If you think David Carr is the major reason they made the playoffs after all that time...well, it's hero worship.

Carr wasn't all that for his first few years either. Main difference, he didn't have Fitzpatrick come in and offer fools gold to the Head Coach or have a guy break his jaw with a punch.

Oakland has had a THIRTEEN YEAR playoff drought. If you think David Carr is the major reason they made the playoffs after all that time...well, it's hero worship.
Carr wasn't all that for his first few years either. Main difference, he didn't have Fitzpatrick come in and offer fools gold to the Head Coach or have a guy break his jaw with a punch.

Anyone who has been watching saw this year coming. If you were starting a team tomorrow and could take any two players from one team to start, Carr and Mack would be as good a choice as any - in addition to their play, they are strong leaders on either side of the ball.

28 minutes ago, isired said:

Anyone who has been watching saw this year coming. If you were starting a team tomorrow and could take any two players from one team to start, Carr and Mack would be as good a choice as any - in addition to their play, they are strong leaders on either side of the ball.

Yet this is the first time I've heard anything from you about it. So...sounds like so much "i got this right" when you really haven't said anything before now.

Yeah, "anyone" could see a 13-year drought ending...Ok.

This is more about THE RAIDERS than it is about David Carr, IMO. And, again, the Jets and the Raiders are not the same and if David Carr is here, he's not leading the Jets to the playoffs. "anyone" can see that.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I agree with this, in that this is Woody's fault.  You can't really blame Rex for trying to win - him (and the vets) are trying out for their next job.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Jameis is good. but, really, look at his surrounding cast. an OL that gives him a pocket. TEs that have pass catching ability.

Irvin was all over him all game. missed a couple of passes at the end of the game but I always liked Winston.  He is a leader for sure.  will be able to rally his team in the future as he continues his career.

5 hours ago, phill1c said:

Yet this is the first time I've heard anything from you about it. So...sounds like so much "i got this right" when you really haven't said anything before now.

Yeah, "anyone" could see a 13-year drought ending...Ok.

This is more about THE RAIDERS than it is about David Carr, IMO. And, again, the Jets and the Raiders are not the same and if David Carr is here, he's not leading the Jets to the playoffs. "anyone" can see that.

True David Carr isn't leading anyone in the broadcast booth.   His brother Derek Carr ( Raiders Qb) has a chance.       Can there big three ( Carr, Cooper, and Crabtree) get healthy for the playoffs.     Right now this group is clearly hurting , and isn't playing anywhere close to where they have for most of the year. That group has to get healthy fast if they want to make some serious noise in the playoffs. ( unit has carried the team all year).

The defense which has been bad all season actually has a chance to get a lot better for the playoffs.   ( Mario Edwards, and Aldon Smith could be game changers for this Raider defense). 

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

What is so different about Bryce Petty than Winston? Petty has an arm. Petty just doesn't have the experience or surrounding talent.

People get ideas in their heads and simply won't let it go, no matter how much reality intrudes. Winston looks good, as did Petty for a quarter or so. He needs experience.

Didn't Winston throw 5 picks in his 1st NFL game? 

when you talk about both the raiders and the bucs you see two teams that had lots of bad seasons and built up their teams through the drafts.  both teams got very good qb's through the drafts.  both teams also had some serious front office and ownership issues.  al davis was completely out of control until he passed and i believe tampa had issues with their owner.  and then take a look at their coaches. tampa went from gruden to morris to schiano before koetter.  oakland went from art shell, lane kiffin, tom cable, hue jackson, dennis allen, and now jack del rio.  the qb is certainly a big part of it but both these teams are loaded at a lot of key positions.

this jets team is a huge mess.  it's also not all on the qb.  it's the defense and special teams.  the secondary seems to always be out of position and the pass rush is near non existent.  it's all on guys who just don't know what they are supposed to do.  it's not about talent.  it's all about desire playing the position and executing.

10 hours ago, phill1c said:

This team would likely look quite different had you drafted a QB with the #1 or #2 overall pick.  You would like to think we would have spent many more of our draft and FA resources building a surrounding cast around the new QB.  So it's tough to look at the make up of the team now and make any definitive statement.

Archived