Next Jimmy Graham: OJ Howard

drdetroit

I like this kid a lot. 

I think NFL teams will pretty much ignore his weaknesses as a blocker b/c of his size, athleticism and potential as an offensive weapon. Jimmy Graham is a good comparison.

Having said that, I doubt he falls to the second round. I would imagine a 'contender' team scoops him up late in the first. The Cowboys would be a prime candidate to do so.

Should the Jets take him in the first round if they trade down? I don't think so. He would be a luxury pick for them. And with Enunwa playing the role of 'split end', the Jets need a balanced TE who can block. I'm thinking a guy like Jordan Leggett out of Clemson. Maybe in the 3rd (especially if we have 2 third rounders via trade). In the first, I would look at OT, Pass Rusher or CB if the Jets were to trade down. Best case scenario is that one of the top 3 OTs (Robinson, McGlinchey, Ramczyk) is there. Ramczyk should certainly be there if he declares due to the recent news that he will have surgery and be out 4 months, missing the combine and Pro Day. You take a top OT early (weak position in the draft), add draft picks down the line, and focus on positions of need that happen to be deep in this draft (CB, Pass Rusher, TE, RB).     

7 hours ago, PepPep said:

I like this kid a lot. 

I think NFL teams will pretty much ignore his weaknesses as a blocker b/c of his size, athleticism and potential as an offensive weapon. Jimmy Graham is a good comparison.

Having said that, I doubt he falls to the second round. I would imagine a 'contender' team scoops him up late in the first. The Cowboys would be a prime candidate to do so.

Should the Jets take him in the first round if they trade down? I don't think so. He would be a luxury pick for them. And with Enunwa playing the role of 'split end', the Jets need a balanced TE who can block. I'm thinking a guy like Jordan Leggett out of Clemson. Maybe in the 3rd (especially if we have 2 third rounders via trade). In the first, I would look at OT, Pass Rusher or CB if the Jets were to trade down. Best case scenario is that one of the top 3 OTs (Robinson, McGlinchey, Ramczyk) is there. Ramczyk should certainly be there if he declares due to the recent news that he will have surgery and be out 4 months, missing the combine and Pro Day. You take a top OT early (weak position in the draft), add draft picks down the line, and focus on positions of need that happen to be deep in this draft (CB, Pass Rusher, TE, RB).     

Howard would be a luxury pick but damn is he going to be good in the NFL.  He'd instantaneously make Decker or Marshall expendable

Hunter Henry and OJ Howard are going to be the top 2 TE's in the NFL next 10 years.

On December 20, 2016 at 0:15 PM, Beerfish said:

The problem of how the current NY Jets use their players crops up unfortunately.

Is it Gailey's system or is it just that Fitz was a crappy QB who always threw to his first read which was Marshall?

Petty has thrown quite a bit to Sefarian Jenkins last couple games

Just now, drdetroit said:

Is it Gailey's system or is it just that Fitz was a crappy QB who always threw to his first read which was Marshall?

Petty has thrown quite a bit to Sefarian Jenkins last couple games

Gailey has never really had a TE to speak of.   Fitz locked onto Marshall.  You can tell Petty has worked a lot with the backups, that's why he likes Jenkins and Robby Anderson so much.

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Gailey has never really had a TE to speak of.   Fitz locked onto Marshall.  You can tell Petty has worked a lot with the backups, that's why he likes Jenkins and Robby Anderson so much.

Tony Gonzalez had one of his best ever seasons with Gailey as OC.  Howard would simply line up wide or in the slot

And your assuming we don't clean  house with the coaching staff which is still possible

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Tony Gonzalez had one of his best ever seasons with Gailey as OC.  Howard would simply line up wide or in the slot

And your assuming we don't clean  house with the coaching staff which is still possible

Forgot about Gonzalez, thank you.

More defending Gailey, you throw to what you have.  I like him, I don't blame him.  If you don't fire the HC, I keep him.  Special teams?   Worst in the NFL, that dude need to go.  It's not on Gailey that 4 O linemen are hurt, and I think he wanted to go to Petty earlier.  

For the draft, I'm all about trading down, getting picks, and drafting talent.  The team needs EVERYTHING.

Just now, chirorob said:

Forgot about Gonzalez, thank you.

More defending Gailey, you throw to what you have.  I like him, I don't blame him.  If you don't fire the HC, I keep him.  Special teams?   Worst in the NFL, that dude need to go.  It's not on Gailey that 4 O linemen are hurt, and I think he wanted to go to Petty earlier.  

For the draft, I'm all about trading down, getting picks, and drafting talent.  The team needs EVERYTHING.

I wouldn't mind firing Bowles and promoting Gailey to HC.  We really need to clean house in addition to Bowles the DC Rodgers is totally inept and has to go as does the special teams coach like you said

Just now, drdetroit said:

I wouldn't mind firing Bowles and promoting Gailey to HC.  We really need to clean house in addition to Bowles the DC Rodgers is totally inept and has to go as does the special teams coach like you said

I could see that.   Wouldn't have a problem with it.   I've said before, there isn't that stud top 3 QB this year, so changing the offense with 2 young QBs is not going to help. 

Praying this guy falls to us at 37 because only other way we get him is if we trade down

Jimmy Graham is not a blocking tightend we have enough recievers, also as much as the announcers knock us for not having a good tight end enunwa really fills the role and has filled it well. Aside from enunwa we have asj who is a very talented project who should be decent after building a little chemistry. Honestly to even think about a tight end in the draft with so many other needs is setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This guy actually blocks.

Drafting by need is the dumbest thing to do.  It's part of the reason we're in this mess.

I don't disagree that drafting for need is stupid but a tight end especially early for us would be a luxury pick. It would be the same as drafting a de when we already have two good ones even though that ended up working out pretty well for us.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't disagree that drafting for need is stupid but a tight end especially early for us would be a luxury pick.

How is a tight end a "luxury pick"?  We haven't had a good Tight End since the 80's

How is a tight end a "luxury pick"?  We haven't had a good Tight End since the 80's

Enunwa is our tight end in everything but label and is excelling in that role? Aside from that we have a pretty decent prospect in ASJ. Early in the draft we need oline, secondary, pass rush positions that are hard to find in free agency and disappear early in the draft. We should not reach for need but with where we are drafting we should have a few good prospects at key positions to choose from.

Archived