Winters, Catapano to IR

CrazyCarl40

Welcome to the new NFL. It's called self preservation & protect your wallet & future earnings. Is it right? Of course not, but if your not in the playoff hunt & your a player with an iffy future with your present team, you protect yourself. I really believe that.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Welcome to the new NFL. It's called self preservation & protect your wallet & future earnings. Is it right? Of course not, but if your not in the playoff hunt & your a player with an iffy future with your present team, you protect yourself. I really believe that.

It's starting even earlier. Lots of guys dropping from bowl games to protect their futures. Can't blame them. It's a cruel and violent game and the careers are short lived. 

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Possible.

This organization is a complete mess.

I was kidding, and think it's supremely unlikely, but would you really be shocked if you found out otherwise a few years from now? Clearly you wouldn't. Neither would I. Not when I see the start to finish effort of most of the guys who haven't been IR'd.

3 hours ago, Persiussa said:

Looks like dozier will finally get a shot hopefully. 

He was in there on Saturday for a bit and, honestly, looked decent. The tackles were the biggest issue and the guard play on the right side, with and without Winters, didn't miss a beat.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They're all faking it so they don't have to risk sustaining a serious injury for real. 

In Winters' case, maybe. He's due to get a nice pay raise this offseason.  An injury ruins that for him.

Catapano is basically a JAG. This injury likely ends his time with the Jets, and may even spell the end of his career.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was kidding, and think it's supremely unlikely, but would you really be shocked if you found out otherwise a few years from now? Clearly you wouldn't. Neither would I. Not when I see the start to finish effort of most of the guys who haven't been IR'd.

While I don't think people are faking it is likely that many of these players, in a playoff run, would find a way to get themselves on the field.  But in a situation like this they're not going to push or play injured.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Winters is pulling a Fournette / McCaffery and tapping out due to impending free agency!

I hate to say it, and he has played hard (if not stupidly at times-I had visions of Matt O'Dwyer), but Winters is definitely taking himself out of the season.  I don't blame him.

Dozier is on the top of the list of players who could/should get cut.   Let him show what he can do after 3 years.  Sad.

It is absolutely pathetic to end the season with players with expiring contracts that you want to have on the team next year.  It never should have gotten to this.

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

I hate to say it, and he has played hard (if not stupidly at times-I had visions of Matt O'Dwyer), but Winters is definitely taking himself out of the season.  I don't blame him.

Dozier is on the top of the list of players who could/should get cut.   Let him show what he can do after 3 years.  Sad.

It is absolutely pathetic to end the season with players with expiring contracts that you want to have on the team next year.  It never should have gotten to this.

The problem is these guys don;t seem to really show up as being super valuable until their contract year.  A lot of people wanted us to give Mo wilk a long term sweet deal even before last year.  Winters was thought to be a very replaceable piece until later last year and thus year.  It's one of the toughest things for GMs to sort out imo

Farrior was the classic example.

Mediocre, misplayed.  Had good contract year.  Went to Steelers.  Was great for a long time.

Part of the problem we have is that the Jets coaching program is so awful.  I think we leave talent on the table  

Granted, they can do better picking players, but often times the coaching and development also plays a role.

But that being said, there is no way anyone who knows modern football would take Pryor over Clinton-Nix.

Archived