Petty definitely starting on Saturday

Maxman

32 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't believe he was comparing the two; I believe he was showing that the first 3 starts are NOT an indication of a QBs abilities. Heck, there are many here that say that 2 years of starts is not a fair sample.

Is Petty likely to be as good as Peyton, of course not. But, it isn't like 4th round QB (or a 6th for that matter) have never succeeded. 3 games (especially behind this OL) does not a fair look make. If they find someone who they think is better, should they try to get that QB? Of course. But, to classify Petty as a career backup based on 3 games and his draft position is, IMO, a bit quick to judgement.

Of course the first three starts aren't an indication of future success or abilities. Percentages and likelihoods are against Petty. I'm hoping for the best but so far he looks like a backup. Which is pretty good for a 4th round project. 

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I don't think petty has played particularly well but he gives equally or better chance of winning than Fitzgarbage and his 2 yard duckthrows

If a small-time defensive coordinator like Vance Joseph can cripple Petty, I shudder to think about what Bill Belichick is going to do to the kid.

I support Bryce starting, obviously, but he's going to get killed, it's going to be as embarrassing as the Colts game if not worse.

SAR I

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Peyton Manning was a top overall pick and was a no doubt franchise QB. Petty is a project QB whose ceiling is longtime backup and spot start drafted in the 4th round. Comparing the two is ridiculous. 

Calling a player's ceiling with 3 starts to his name is ridiculous in itself. 

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If a small-time defensive coordinator like Vance Joseph can cripple Petty, I shudder to think about what Bill Belichick is going to do to the kid.

I support Bryce starting, obviously, but he's going to get killed, it's going to be as embarrassing as the Colts game if not worse.

SAR I

I am more worried about getting him physically hurt. I am not a Winters fan, but Dozier is a big step down and doesn't have any real experience.

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

A big HELL NO to Hoyer, Romo, Cutler, or any other veteran QB who will be looking for a job.  If we're gonna blow up the team, blow it up all the way.  No more veteran placeholders, especially at QB.   If Glennon can be had, bring him in and let Petty and Hack compete with him for the starting spot and may the best QB win.

I agree.  Romo, Cutler are a waste of time.  Hoyer is hot garbage.  

Glennon is the only FA Qb the jets should be interested in

20 minutes ago, August said:

Petty has shown some flashes of potential and he's had his moments, but he's been bad so far. These games are good for development and evaluation of not just Petty, but the other young guys. 

I don't think petty has been bad he just hasn't been good either.  It's only 3 games we'll get a couple more looks

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Fitz is garbage.  He only kept the first game close because it was at MetLife he'd self destruct at Foxboro

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I don't think petty has been bad he just hasn't been good either.  It's only 3 games we'll get a couple more looks

So far he's been bad against the Rams and Colts, ok against the 49ers and bad against the Dolphins. He's been bad so far imo. 

Petty has a strong shot to earn a chance to compete for the starting job next season. If he can finish strong and carry his knowledge into next season, maybe he can make the leap and be the unquestioned starter. Only time will tell.

Let's see what he's got against a Belichick coached team.

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Fitz is garbage.  He only kept the first game close because it was at MetLife he'd self destruct at Foxboro

It's a silly discussion because we know we are in learning mode, but if the Jets wanted to try to win the game and put the most competitive team on the field they possibly could, then Ryan Fitzpatrick would be handling the quarterback role despite how awful he has looked this season 

A perfectly healthy Petty with a professional offensive line can't win football games against the league's scrubs, a beat-up Petty with a patchwork offensive line is going to get annihilated against the best team in the NFL.

Is there a mercy rule?

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's a silly discussion because we know we are in learning mode, but if the Jets wanted to try to win the game and put the most competitive team on the field they possibly could, then Ryan Fitzpatrick would be handling the quarterback role despite how awful he has looked this season 

A perfectly healthy Petty with a professional offensive line can't win football games against the league's scrubs, a beat-up Petty with a patchwork offensive line is going to get annihilated against the best team in the NFL.

Is there a mercy rule?

SAR I

I'm not a huge Petty guy but I have no idea how you can think there is a significant downgrade between the two.  Fitz has been arguably the worst Qb in the entire NFL to play in a game this season

Statistically he is

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Is there a mercy rule?

SAR I

SAR I BB and NEW England knows the former Jets QB inside and out the best chance at winning is to start Petty. 

On any given game day anything can happen, 

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Is there a mercy rule?

SAR I

forfeit

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

I'm not a huge Petty guy but I have no idea how you can think there is a significant downgrade between the two.  Fitz has been arguably the worst Qb in the entire NFL to play in a game this season

Statistically he is

One of our quarterbacks has faced a Bill Belichick defense many times over the last 12 years and defeated it a scant year ago.

The other has not.

SAR I

Archived