Bowles comments on Hacky

FTL Jet Fan

Bowles: Jets likely “getting killed” if Christian Hackenberg plays

PHILADELPHIA, PA - SEPTEMBER 1: Steven Means #51 of the Philadelphia Eagles sacks Christian Hackenberg #5 of the New York Jets in the second quarter at Lincoln Financial Field on September 1, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets have already said that Bryce Petty is sufficiently recovered from his chest bruise to play tomorrow, and that veteran Ryan Fitzpatrickwill continue to back him up.

But even as he admitted it was “possible” that rookie Christian Hackenberg might be active and get a uniform for the first time this season, Jets coach Todd Bowles also admitted the reality that would entail.

“If we get down to the third quarterback,” the normally stone-faced Bowles said, “we’re probably getting killed in the first place.”

Well, there’s no point ruling that out either, as the Jets have fallen to 4-10 after last year’s dream season, and are playing a Cheaters team that loves to stick it to them (and is simply better at playing football).

But the tea-leaf-reading about the future at the position has already started in earnest, and Hackenberg’s year of watching has been watched closely. He may not even be active, depending on injuries and the need for depth at other positions.

Pretty sh*tty thing to say, at least you know he is giving his honest opinion. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He says the Jets would have to be getting killed to be putting in a third string qb. Not that if they put in hack, it will result in them getting killed.

Still not my favorite thing for him to say, but when I read the subject and lead in, I interpreted it as the latter. Reading the article and quote, I think he meant the former.

Note that I will throw up in my mouth if Fitz gets back in there. Hope to see Petty and would be curious to see Hack. How do we draft a high second rounder who is barely capable of suiting up? He's now had nearly a year to work on mechanics and such.

9 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

Note that I will throw up in my mouth if Fitz gets back in there. Hope to see Petty and would be curious to see Hack. How do we draft a high second rounder who is barely capable of suiting up? He's now had nearly a year to work on mechanics and such.

What time do you think a franchise has to work on a third string Qb mechanics.  ( in season)   That is for the offseason , when they have the time to attempt something like that.  Hack mechanics are the same when he came into the NFL.

11 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

You should be throwing up in your mouth anyway. Jets look worse than ever now.

9 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

What time do you think a franchise has to work on a third string Qb mechanics.  ( in season)   That is for the offseason , when they have the time to attempt something like that.  Hack mechanics are the same when he came into the NFL.

That is unmitigated non-sense.  I've heard the Jets spew this Sh-- but I find incredible that they would invest a 2nd round draft pick in a "project" and then go on to say that they are not actually fixing said project.  But they're going to wait until the off-season when coaches are not actually allowed to work with the players?

Seriously, they can't hire a personal QB coach to work exclusively with Hack during the season?

His statement isn't wrong on face. If you've lost two QBs in a game then you're either physically getting killed or getting killed on the scoreboard.

However, WTF? At this point I can't see why Hackenburg would be third string. He might as well get a shot to throw a few passes in a game if Petty is injured or not ready. Another awful personnel decision by this coaching staff.

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That is unmitigated non-sense.  I've heard the Jets spew this Sh-- but I find incredible that they would invest a 2nd round draft pick in a "project" and then go on to say that they are not actually fixing said project.  But they're going to wait until the off-season when coaches are not actually allowed to work with the players?

Seriously, they can't hire a personal QB coach to work exclusively with Hack during the season?

This is something I never understood about the NFL.   Yes, they can hire several QB coaches.  Maybe even one for each QB.  As important as the QB has become in the NFL, and the small window they have to work with him,  I just don't understand why the don't cough up a few extra hundred thousand dollars and bring in personal tutors for the time they have these projects in 

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

How this team can still trot out Fitz week after week (even as a backup) when we have two young QBs on a rebuilding team during a lost season is beyond me.

There is a possibility, a strong one I might add, that Hack might make Ryan Lindley look good if he played.

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

How this team can still trot out Fitz week after week (even as a backup) when we have two young QBs on a rebuilding team during a lost season is beyond me.

They've said since day one that they'd rather not have Hack suit up at all this season. They are protecting him and his future, whatever it may hold, by having Fitz suit up every week. Hack isn't ready to be a part of the active roster. Plain and simple. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They've said since day one that they'd rather not have Hack suit up at all this season. They are protecting him and his future, whatever it may hold, by having Fitz suit up every week. Hack isn't ready to be a part of the active roster. Plain and simple. 

A 2nd round pick should be ready to at least see some NFL action even if its in garbage time. This pick is on the GM. 

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

here's the thing.  the jets have deep pockets.  unless there's a league rule what's to stop them from hiring coaches to expressily work on hack's mechanics? to say he hasn't worked on his mechanics yet seems pretty ludicrous.

40 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So the head coach basically says the QB our GM picked in the 2nd round stinks. 

Or he's saying that Hack isn't ready. You choose to take the more pessimistic reading. The fact is that the jets have said since the day they drafted him that he was a project and would likely not play this year. So when the coach comes out and says it, I am not quite sure why you are shocked. 

Don't get me wrong, I think they are handling Hack poorly but this is their approach. It was the same approach they used with Petty. 

Carson Palmer was the top pick and didnt play a single snap his rookie year. The next year he threw for over 30 td's and less than 15 picks, ans led the Bengals to the playoffs. Then he got hurt unfortunately...but the point is sometimes people need to sit and learn. Play when they're ready. 

Just because Hack isn't ready yet doesn't mean he won't be at some point.

I'd love to see the Jets' scouting report on Hackenberg that led to them drafting him in the 2nd.  

What did they see which others didn't and led other teams (according to reports) say Hackenberg was a late rounder or undraftable.

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

It this point with our offensive line the real concern might be in not getting the kid killed and that Fitzpatrick is expendable in that regard.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

My previous post was deleted but you are100% correct!!

The excuse the Jets and some fans are using wouldn't be acceptable for the training of holiday Xmass workers!!

What the heck is Hack working on all year more important than throwing a football properly when he is the QB!!

Utterr Nonsense!!!

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I've said this multiple times myself. It's baffling, if not infuriating.

$150M for an average roster, millions more for the current coaching staff, and these fools don't think it's worth a couple hundred thousand (if it'd even cost that) of non-cap spending to have someone work with Hackenberg daily all season long?

I can't make any sense of what it is Maccagnan and company are doing.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I can definitely agree with not getting him hurt. At the same time, maybe our project QB would be ready if the coaches didn't push fixing his mechanics until the off-season, when they can't even really work with him.

It's the coaches' jobs to not just gameplan for Sunday, but to COACH your players. Hack could be the face of this franchise with the right tutelage. But he won't be, because the Jets don't want to take the time to actually complete their project. Like that guy from Jimmy Neutron that could never complete anything.

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I can definitely agree with not getting him hurt. At the same time, maybe our project QB would be ready if the coaches didn't push fixing his mechanics until the off-season, when they can't even really work with him.

It's the coaches' jobs to not just gameplan for Sunday, but to COACH your players. Hack could be the face of this franchise with the right tutelage. But he won't be, because the Jets don't want to take the time to actually complete their project. Like that guy from Jimmy Neutron that could never complete anything.

Football is a rough game players get hurt are we going to coddle him forever. He was a 2nd round pick he should be ready to play football with the big boys. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Football is a rough game players get hurt are we going to coddle him forever. He was a 2nd round pick he should be ready to play football with the big boys. 

Just because you think he "should be" ready or want him to be ready doesn't make it so. The kid couldn't complete passes against AIR in training camp and you think he will do better playing against a real NFL defense? You are out of your mind. This isn't coddling, if anything it's admitting the GM made a mistake drafting him.

Archived