Bowles comments on Hacky

FTL Jet Fan

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There's nothing to see here....

All he was saying was if they get to a 3rd string QB the game would already be well out of reach.  Nothing at all to do with Hack's skill-set or ability.

Or the fact that even in week 16, he wouldn't even consider putting Hack in as #2. Plenty to b*tch about there. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Or the fact that even in week 16, he wouldn't even consider putting Hack in as #2. Plenty to b*tch about there. 

Different story.  That feels more like a GM decision than TB's...

I'm not making Bowles excuses just that this specific statement wasn't a bad one.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Different story.  That feels more like a GM decision than TB's...

I'm not making Bowles excuses just that this specific statement wasn't a bad one.

True on the statement part. Disagree on Hack being 3rd as being a GM decision. 

1 hour ago, SMC said:

I'd love to see the Jets' scouting report on Hackenberg that led to them drafting him in the 2nd.  

What did they see which others didn't and led other teams (according to reports) say Hackenberg was a late rounder or undraftable.

It probably went a little like this:

Phone rings in Houston : Hello Bill this is Mikey M ,I need to ask you about a QB you had at Penn State

O'Brien: Best QB I ever had , a surefire hall of famer - wish I could draft him but - we signed our own better version of a can't miss QB. You know the hot comodity from Denver - that Osweiler kid.  Mike you can't pass up on Hack - trust me I know Qb's

WTF are they doing in Florham Park during the week? Are they saying the kid can't be tutored, throwing everyday. I have this image of everybody practicing & Hackenberg sits around with his hands in his pockets. 

I mean it's ridiculous. I'm expecting the 1st time we see him take the field he's completely wrapped in bubble wrap. I get they don't want to rush him but are they serious? There's absolutely not one bit of pressure if he slings it around vs the Bills. Not one Jet fan cares about the outcome, just get the kid some snaps. It's like they're moving a kid from 8th grade to the varsity or something? This has complete wasted 2nd round pick all over it the way their babying this kid. 

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

WTF are they doing in Florham Park during the week? Are they saying the kid can't be tutored, throwing everyday. I have this image of everybody practicing & Hackenberg sits around with his hands in his pockets. 

I mean it's ridiculous. I'm expecting the 1st time we see him take the field he's completely wrapped in bubble wrap. I get they don't want to rush him but are they serious? There's absolutely not one bit of pressure if he slings it around vs the Bills. Not one Jet fan cares about the outcome, just get the kid some snaps. It's like they're moving a kid from 8th grade to the varsity or something? This has complete wasted 2nd round pick all over it the way their babying this kid. 

I have such little trust in what they say they're doing with a guy. All season long we've heard them say one thing about a guy one week, then come out the next week and say "well we only said that while we trying to think about what else to say".

The Jets and TB in general have done an awful job with the media and the fans this year... It's one to thing to want to keep a situation under wraps, but it's another to say one thing one day then change your mind the next then claim that was the plan all along the next day.

The whole Petty this was clearly the biggest example of this, but it's happened around the team in other spots too. 

The only brightspot from all of it is that I don't trust them when they give some backhanded critique of Hack now... If they say he needs to be throwing every day, I almost believe it's the opposite. When they say he's no where near ready, I almost think he might be... Everytime these guys say something, I expect the opposite comment the next day. 

8 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I have such little trust in what they say they're doing with a guy. All season long we've heard them say one thing about a guy one week, then come out the next week and say "well we only said that while we trying to think about what else to say".

The Jets and TB in general have done an awful job with the media and the fans this year... It's one to thing to want to keep a situation under wraps, but it's another to say one thing one day then change your mind the next then claim that was the plan all along the next day.

The whole Petty this was clearly the biggest example of this, but it's happened around the team in other spots too. 

The only brightspot from all of it is that I don't trust them when they give some backhanded critique of Hack now... If they say he needs to be throwing every day, I almost believe it's the opposite. When they say he's no where near ready, I almost think he might be... Everytime these guys say something, I expect the opposite comment the next day. 

Best thing that could happen to the Jets was all the injuries because Bowles is a pussy & only wants to play veterans. Now he's sh*t out of luck & his coaching prowess is being questioned because the Jets have always sucked at developing young players. I have to say that the WRs seem to be developing now that Sanjay f*cking Lal is out of here, I do like what the Oline coach is doing, very difficult job losing & moving Olineman plus having only 1 healthy RB, and a crappy vet in Fitz & a young inexperienced kid in Petty. If Johnson & Shell pan out great job by him.

I love the fact the Burris, Middleton, Lee, Jenkins, Simon, Roberts, all have to play because Bowles can't blame them for anything because his defense BEFORE the injuries was HORRIBLE! He's got no built in excuses, "oh, woe is me, my secondary in injured". No Todd, they just SUCKED before the injuries and so does your defensive coaching.

Hes being forced to play these guys! I'm praying to see some Wally Pipping!

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Football is a rough game players get hurt are we going to coddle him forever. He was a 2nd round pick he should be ready to play football with the big boys. 

I would've agreed earlier in the season , but a two game tryout isn't worth it.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I'd love to see the Jets' scouting report on Hackenberg that led to them drafting him in the 2nd.  

What did they see which others didn't and led other teams (according to reports) say Hackenberg was a late rounder or undraftable.

I am pretty sure Gruden said that, although he had to improve his footwork and some other mechanics, he was a 1st round talent

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

here's the thing.  the jets have deep pockets.  unless there's a league rule what's to stop them from hiring coaches to expressily work on hack's mechanics? to say he hasn't worked on his mechanics yet seems pretty ludicrous.

There is a league rule against it.  The CBA

8 minutes ago, SBBound said:

I am pretty sure Gruden said that, although he had to improve his footwork and some other mechanics, he was a 1st round talent

I really feel like the Jets put a lot of stock into how bad Penn State's OL was... I think they really figured that with protection and some practice, he would be a great pick at that point. I think they thought his evaluations weren't fair because he had to change his approach too much to not get knocked on his backside every game... I think they saw a guy who they could get to play with his natural ability again and really be a good player.

I'm not sure what made them put a lot of stock into that instead of say, mechanics and natural ability, but that's my guess... 

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Carson Palmer was the top pick and didnt play a single snap his rookie year. The next year he threw for over 30 td's and less than 15 picks, ans led the Bengals to the playoffs. Then he got hurt unfortunately...but the point is sometimes people need to sit and learn. Play when they're ready. 

Just because Hack isn't ready yet doesn't mean he won't be at some point.

Plus, they both have blue eyes and wear single-digit uniform numbers. Same guy, essentially

2 hours ago, SMC said:

I'll guarantee it was similar to the intra-department emails at Coca Cola when they were debating New Coke.

That is unmitigated non-sense.  I've heard the Jets spew this Sh-- but I find incredible that they would invest a 2nd round draft pick in a "project" and then go on to say that they are not actually fixing said project.  But they're going to wait until the off-season when coaches are not actually allowed to work with the players?
Seriously, they can't hire a personal QB coach to work exclusively with Hack during the season?

Hack runs the practice Squad O. That means he spends every week learning and mimicking the opposing teams QB. He ain't working on mechanics. The sooner we move on to a real, viable QB prospect the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No he wasn't. He was a mid late round talent, and some even had him as undesirable. The problem is Macc seemed to think Fitz could hold the fort long enough that we could somehow sit this kid for 3 years and turn a pile of dogsh*t into filet mignon.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That is unmitigated non-sense.  I've heard the Jets spew this Sh-- but I find incredible that they would invest a 2nd round draft pick in a "project" and then go on to say that they are not actually fixing said project.  But they're going to wait until the off-season when coaches are not actually allowed to work with the players?

Seriously, they can't hire a personal QB coach to work exclusively with Hack during the season?

It's not nonsense ,but just a fact of life.    The head coach and the general manager  are concerned with winning games( keeping their jobs).  Not a fourth string Qb whose at least a couple years away from playing.

Hackenberg could hire a personal Qb coach ( like Tom Brady- tom Martinez whose dead now) in the offseason, or he can wait till Ota's.     

That's it, as the NFL doesn't have developmental league anymore for these young Qb's to fine tune their game.      

Yes it was a mistake to draft Hackenburg that early in the draft. for the simple reason the Jets GM might not be around when he might be ready.( new GM, and coach will bring in their own guy). 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Getting the first string Qb most of the reps , and the backup some.   Unfortunately due to time and the new Cba rules it's almost impossible to develop a third string Qb.( why it wasn't smart to carry four Qb's) 

What Hackenberg is doing is trying to learn his craft watching the starting Qb .( hopefully watching a lot of film of opposing defense and seeing if he understands what the defense is doing.    Unless Hackenberg hires a personal Qb coach( most of the top Qb's have their own guy) than he has to wait for Ota's to work on his mechanics.     

Their is no time in the regular season to work on anything with the fourth/ tHird string Qb).  This is why NFL Europe was so beneficial to young Qb's like Hack. ( they could get actually game time experience to work on their craft).2

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

There is a league rule against it.  The CBA

i'm no expert in the cba but doesn't that only limit the number of practices per day/week and how many can be done with pads on?  it seems to me you could work on hacks mechanics by giving him some private lessons without violating the cba.

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm no expert in the cba but doesn't that only limit the number of practices per day/week and how many can be done with pads on?  it seems to me you could work on hacks mechanics by giving him some private lessons without violating the cba.

My understanding of it is:

Can not meet with coaches and discuss football.  Yep, that's insane.  They can't hire a tutor for him.  

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

No he wasn't. He was a mid late round talent, and some even had him as undesirable. The problem is Macc seemed to think Fitz could hold the fort long enough that we could somehow sit this kid for 3 years and turn a pile of dogsh*t into filet mignon.

This is why it is hard to actually have a conversation with some Jets fans. I was not giving you my opinion. I was conveying what an offensive-minded, Super Bowl winning head coach thought about Hackenberg. But I know, you all know best.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/19/jon-gruden-will-be-shocked-if-hackenberg-isnt-a-first-round-pick/

This is why it is hard to actually have a conversation with some Jets fans. I was not giving you my opinion. I was conveying what an offensive-minded, Super Bowl winning head coach thought about Hackenberg. But I know, you all know best.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/19/jon-gruden-will-be-shocked-if-hackenberg-isnt-a-first-round-pick/

And Jaworski said Kellen Clemons was the best QB of his draft. Around the league many GM'a and draft experts said he was not worth a high round pick, and some said he was undraftable. What we know for certain is he isn't good enough to even dress behind Fitz and Petty on a 4 win team. That's not very encouraging. We also know he's not getting reps, other than leading the practice squad. So it's very unlikely he's even going to be worth much next season either.

16 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

Nice one, I'm sure that's going to do Hacks confidence the world of good, what a buffoon.

Why would what he said do anything to Hacks confidence? 

Or is it just you don't understand what he said?  People need to think before calling someone a buffoon.

11 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

It's not nonsense ,but just a fact of life.    The head coach and the general manager  are concerned with winning games( keeping their jobs).  Not a fourth string Qb whose at least a couple years away from playing.

Hackenberg could hire a personal Qb coach ( like Tom Brady- tom Martinez whose dead now) in the offseason, or he can wait till Ota's.     

That's it, as the NFL doesn't have developmental league anymore for these young Qb's to fine tune their game.      

Yes it was a mistake to draft Hackenburg that early in the draft. for the simple reason the Jets GM might not be around when he might be ready.( new GM, and coach will bring in their own guy). 

You're wasting your time.  There are some here who just refuse to believe this is how the league operates.  Brady, Tebow, Sanchez etc all worked on improving their mechanics in the offseason when time can be devoted to making the changes.  Their time is better spent on learning the game, how to break down film, read defenses etc.  Doesn't take away from practice time and is more important than footwork.  There have been more ridiculous accusations made over this than you can imagine.  

Archived