2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's better to go after hitting prospects because they tend to be "safer".  If you were a great hitter at a top prep program or a good college program, your skillset has a better chance of translating than it does for pitchers. 

Pitchers get hurt, mismanaged, flame out quickly or just plain don't translate sometimes.  They're not nearly stable enough assets to invest the kind of resources that the Mets do.  Plus, you're about as likely to find pitchers in the mid-later rounds of the draft as you are at the top.  Even more importantly, the bust probability is much higher for pitchers taken in the early rounds than it is for hitters.  The 2013 draft had tons of pitching busts, but Kris Bryant and Aaron Judge were among the first 32 picks.  The 2012 draft saw Michael Wacha go in the 1st as the best pitcher of that class, but it also saw Carlos Correa, Corey Seager and Addison Russell. 

So yeah, there's a lot of credence to the philosophy of allocating your draft picks primarily to hitting prospects.  You might not be able to trade them as easily down the road, but you're more likely to get more "bang for your buck". 

Don't remind me!!

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, JiF said:

On a positive note, Rosario has a hit in every game so far.  Including a triple and he scored a run last night.  So we've got that going for us. 

He just looks athletic, with a body that is only going to develop more. The infield defense is better already. Will be more so when Smith comes up.

Just not sure what to expect with Smith as a hitter. Can the Mets exist with a 15 HR guy at first base? Might have to play Conforto in CF then to make up for the shortage of power at 1b. 

This teams needs a legit 3b. Nibble on Frazier this winter?

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He just looks athletic, with a body that is only going to develop more. The infield defense is better already. Will be more so when Smith comes up.

Just not sure what to expect with Smith as a hitter. Can the Mets exist with a 15 HR guy at first base? Might have to play Conforto in CF then to make up for the shortage of power at 1b. 

That fact that you're losing pop at 1st with Smith, makes me want to hold on to Bruce all the more.  The guy is a consistent 30 HR's a year.  

There are couple of interesting 3b FA's...Frazier, Moustakas, Reynolds.  I know they've got a couple of options in the farm too...but they seem a few seasons away.

20 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Dom Smith is a "gap" hitter similar to Olerud. His swing allows him to be a superior contact hitter. I'd rather have him than a Duda or Bruce who hit .250 with 30 hr's but strike out 150x/yr. Smith is striking out at a 15% clip with an OBP over .400. I can settle for 15 - 20 HR when the guy is also crushing 30 - 40 doubles with exceptional defense and OBP.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2017/08/dominic-smith-named-pcl-player-of-the-month.html/

The accolades keep coming for the Mets first base prospect Dominic Smith as he’s been named the Pacific Coast League Player of the Month for July.

His .385 average led the PCL for the month, his eight homers ranked fourth and his 28 runs scored led the league as well.

Smith was also named Player of the Month in June of 2015 by the Florida State League.

Original Post – 8/4, 1 PM

Las Vegas 51s first baseman Dominic Smith was named to Baseball America‘s All Prospect Team for the Month of July. This is just the latest accolade Smith has received this month with him twice being named an MLB Pipeline Player of the Week, and his being named MMNs Position Player of the Month.

In July, Smith hit .385/.437/.725 with 13 doubles, eight homers, and 26 RBI. The eight homers in a month is a career best for him. The slugging percentage was also a career high, which was due in large part to Smith collecting an extra base hit in 16 of the 26 games he played.

The power surge was not accompanied by an all or nothing approach at the plate. Smith would reach base in 24 of the 26 games he played that month. He also struck out in only 15.6% of his plate appearances over the month. In total, Smith was not only hitting everything he saw, he was driving it somewhere. The results were astounding.

This surge is similar to the power surge Smith had last season. At that time, he sent career highs in homers, RBI, and slugging percentage.

On the season, Smith is hitting .337/.394/.533 with 33 doubles, two triples, 16 homers, and 73 RBI. He has tied his career bests in doubles and triples, and he has set new personal records for homers and extra-base hits.

In total, Smith has done all he needs to do to prove the Mets should call him up to the major leagues. With Lucas Duda wearing a Tampa Bay Rays uniform that time should come sooner rather than later.

Josh Smoker SMFH. Throw a pitch up and in to Bellinger and Bellinger swings like Jessica Mendoza. So then why not groove one low outer half, that'll fool him. Where ever Edgin went this guy need goes there too asap **** outta here

Mixed about this trade= Bruce good guy in clubhouse gave you power. at some point this team has to spend some money-hah

At least we have Rosario and Smith as youth infusions with Conforto to build on

Smith coming up for tomorrow night's game. Plug him in and let him play along with Rosario. Let them get the experience to grow with before next year.

They gotta get this staff right for next year. Easy on Jake the rest of the way, Harvey's almost ready, and get the rest of these guys healthy for one ******* season FFS.

Sandy has got to get a player, or two, to round out the lineup. A third baseman, an outfielder, whatever, he has to get a quality guy in here for next year.

At first I was all like "oh that's nice, the Mets promoted Smith." Then I was like lol Mets pitching...DeGrom, who has missed what amounts to multiple seasons to elbow issues and surgery, was supposed to be the reliable, healthy, durable one right? 

I just hope Rosario and Smith aren't Corey Patterson and Hee Seop Choi, because wow do these Mets remind me of the 2000s Cubs. 

On 8/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, SenorGato said:

At first I was all like "oh that's nice, the Mets promoted Smith." Then I was like lol Mets pitching...DeGrom, who has missed what amounts to multiple seasons to elbow issues and surgery, was supposed to be the reliable, healthy, durable one right? 

I just hope Rosario and Smith aren't Corey Patterson and Hee Seop Choi, because wow do these Mets remind me of the 2000s Cubs. 

Hey Gato , worry about those stinky Cubs ; HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So long Curtis. When the chips were down he came up big.

We need an outfielder, a catcher, and an infielder. Good ones. I'll take two out of three as long as there's a quality catcher. sh*t, I'll take one out of three as long as it's a quality catcher. La de da d'Arnaud's gotta ****in go.

Would not be surprised if we didn't get even that tho as long as that twit Jeffy Coupon has a say. Hopefully revenues sag for the rest of the year now and his ass gets sore.

Sayonara Rene Rivera. Plawecki up. 

Play Plawecki every day now and see what he is once and for all. If he's a back up sign a ******* good Catcher and jettison d'Arnaught. Enough of that fairy already.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Has Sandy gotten anything remotely of value for all the players we've dumped?

I can't think of any outstanding haul, maybe there's a middle reliever in the Red Sox trio. The Dodgers usually pay well in trades so maybe the PTBNL is interesting though far from the majors. 

The good thing is the Mets did just promote a legitimately elite SS prospect and a very good 1B prospect. Conforto's become a player finally. The catchers are still young and cheap. Syndergaard didn't have an arm surgery. Probably there's money to buy a Moustakasa for 3B. 

According to a source, Matz consented to multiple pain-killing injections, occasionally on game days, to quell the pain that came along with an elbow that at times swelled to the size of a grapefruit. The pain came and went, though the elbow bothered him mostly between starts.

[...]

One source described a belief by some in the organization that Matz was simply learning to get over the “mental hurdle” of pitching through pain. Indeed, injury has been a constant theme throughout his career.

http://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-did-the-mets-do-to-steven-matz-1798311827

So we sign this dude Aoki. I presume then that the real money's going towards a good infielder or catcher, or God forbid both? Ima be pissed if they don't sign a quality player.

Mets sign OF Norichika Aoki to major league contract

Terry's hot in the postgame. I think he benched Rosario for his look but he's saying Rosario has a hurt finger :blink:. Media can't get a smidgen of info out of either one about this 'hurt finger'. Rosario needs some maturing and seasoning yet.

Archived