2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No more appropriate nickname in sports than Thor.  Mets traded 38 yr old RA Dickey (albeit the reigning Cy Young), for Thor and change.  Incredible.  One of the best trades in franchise history.

How many season away is Rosario?  2018 or 19?

3 hours ago, SMC said:

No more appropriate nickname in sports than Thor.  Mets traded 38 yr old RA Dickey (albeit the reigning Cy Young), for Thor and change.  Incredible.  One of the best trades in franchise history.

Barring disaster he's the starter in 2018. High chance he gets called up for a stint this summer, especially if Wright and Asdrubal hit the DL simultaneously, which is likely considering their histories.

4 hours ago, SMC said:

The DIckey trade was really for D'Arnaud.  Thor was a prospect but I think he was considered "untamed" at that point.  Don't forget we also got an OF in that trade as well (Wuilmer Becerra) who I've read has potential.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2016/03/featured-article-wuilmer-becerra-goes-from-throw-in-to-big-win.html/

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The DIckey trade was really for D'Arnaud.  Thor was a prospect but I think he was considered "untamed" at that point.  Don't forget we also got an OF in that trade as well (Wuilmer Becerra) who I've read has potential.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2016/03/featured-article-wuilmer-becerra-goes-from-throw-in-to-big-win.html/

Obviously we didn't know what Thor would become, but Sandy still got him.  Obviously we had to know SOMETHING about him to include him in the package we got.  Even if it was all luck it was a helluva deal.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously we didn't know what Thor would become, but Sandy still got him.  Obviously we had to know SOMETHING about him to include him in the package we got.  Even if it was all luck it was a helluva deal.

I'm 90% sure I remember reading a few analyses of the trade at the time that said Thor was the real steal of that trade. But then again who knows, those were probably the same schmoes that said Jorge Julio was the real steal of the Kris Benson deal.

You guys are all correct, LOL.  Memory is funny.  Here's from Newsday at the time of the trade:

In the seven-player deal, Dickey and catchers Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas were sent to the Blue Jays. The Mets received arguably the top catching prospect in the game in Travis d'Arnaud and promising righthanded pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard. They also acquired veteran catcher John Buck along with low-level outfield prospect Wuilmer Becerra.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/done-deal-mets-trade-r-a-dickey-to-blue-jays-1.4343239

Just saw that insufferable whining wannabe Andy Martino questioning how things are going for d'Arnaud. I am now extremely confident that Travis will rebound this year and contribute to the cause in a big way. Thanks Andy.

I'm psyched about the team this year.  

Knock on wood...........................................................................................................................................

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Looks like Cecchini wants to be on that Opening Day roster big time.

I'm loving watching the young guys....Rosario, Smith, Conforto, Nimmo, Cecchini, Lagares......

...and there's more to come

Also: How good does Jose look!? He's a full time player at the top of the lineup no doubt. Terry's gotta try and keep him healthy with breaks tho.

There's competition throughout the roster and that's great.

Not really an issue for the Mets as usual because they'll get his salary back through insurance, but I just feel bad for the dude at this point. IMO he sees this team has a window and is holding on so he can retire with a ring. Mets should promise to keep him on as a bench coach or something. I'd love to think that a person wouldn't want to make their entire life rehabbing injuries all the time like this, but then again I've never been a position where I'm getting $20 million a year to do that.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So Wright now has a shoulder impingement? Time to shoot that horse. It just doesn't appear he will ver be salvageable again. Ih ad zero expectations for him this year.

Glad we have Reyes, and I believe him to be more of a line-up cog than Wright at this point. 

That's getting back to that article I posted a few pages back, how long do you hold out for hope?  You have to move on.  

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

So Wright now has a shoulder impingement? Time to shoot that horse. It just doesn't appear he will ver be salvageable again. Ih ad zero expectations for him this year.

Glad we have Reyes, and I believe him to be more of a line-up cog than Wright at this point. 

No surprise really. Sandy & Co. handled the situation well and said all the right things going in. But under the best of circumstances he was a liability at this point imo, and there's guys on the roster, and young guys on the verge, that better equipped to chip in at this point, in the field and at the plate.

19 hours ago, JohnJ said:

No surprise really. Sandy & Co. handled the situation well and said all the right things going in. But under the best of circumstances he was a liability at this point imo, and there's guys on the roster, and young guys on the verge, that better equipped to chip in at this point, in the field and at the plate.

Let it draw out as long as possible IMO. Opens up an extra roster spot for TJ, who really does deserve to be on the roster.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Let it draw out as long as possible IMO. Opens up an extra roster spot for TJ, who really does deserve to be on the roster.

I agree, he did well last year. Hopefully he has a good spring. We have several guys that can play 3rd base too that Terry can mix and match with that I have more faith in than Wright at this point.

Btw, Rosario, Smith, and Cecchini are all knockin' on the door at this point

They're taking it very slow with Duda too, not sure why. But still having Bruce AND Grandy still sure may end up being a positive with Bruce able to play 1st.

AND it looks like Conforto is on a mission to prove something...... It's all good

On February 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Steroids have wrecked David Wright's body

Rosario is going to be such an excellent player, soon too.

So this is a decent team. There's a league ace in Syndergaard, a bunch of depth behind him both in the rotation and pen, some RH power with Cespedes, healthy d'Arnaud, maybe Flores, a bunch of competent or better LHHs, quality depth up the middle.

Syndergaard is one of those arm talents who really brings home how valuable a tippy top tier SP is. His mere existence and good health legitimizes the roster.

The Mets had a low OBP as a whole last year, which ruined the whole top 5 in HRs thing. The good thing is that this has less to do with not walking and more to do with striking out and maybe some overall bad luck on balls in play. I say it's a good thing because the younger, higher pedigree prospects or players on the 40 like Conforto, Nimmo, Rosario,  Cecchini, and the two Cs generally have histories where they aren't allergic to walks and made plenty of contact without being punchless. 

Still not outright on the Cubs' or Dodgers' level, but an interesting mix and way better depth than in previous years.

lotta words

Jake mowed 'em down today, and threw hard. Tomorrow's Harvey day on Pix.

If everybody on the staff stays healthy you can kinda see some keen competition developing between them all. A healthy competition.

The thing is when deGrom is right he's just as fierce a competitor, and has an inner calm, he's cool and level headed. He compete's and even when he's off he wins.

Now we gotta see Harvey get some of his mojo back....and everybody stay healthy.

Looking forward to seeing Lugo in the WBC......that's my darkhorse....

After his outing, Syndergaard was asked if he regrets passing on the opportunity to pitch for the United States in the upcoming World Baseball Classic. “Nope, not one bit,” the 24-year-old said. “I’m a Met. And ain’t nobody made it to the Hall of Fame or win a World Series playing in the WBC.”

Archived