2017 Mets thread!

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know what isn't this team's strength? The training and medical staff.

Was at St Lucie Sunday and Monday. This is a very loose and comfortable team together. The specimen that is Syndergaard is amazing to see up close and personal. Rosario just oozes ability as you

Back by popular demand, your 2017 New York Mets thread. 3rd time's a charm!

Posted Images

If the Mets didnt win last night, I was going to play a loop of Cabrera missing that pop fly over and over again as the perfect gif to describe the season.  His face after, was priceless. 

23 hours ago, faba said:

Well this season so far has mirrowed the Jets nightmare. Rosario and Smith in 2018-hah

I'd start calling them all up after the break and the season is out of reach.  Why not? 

This team cant get out of their own way, or the others teams ball boys.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I'd start calling them all up after the break and the season is out of reach.  Why not? 

The kid was a Mets' employee wearing a Brewers' jersey .

6 hours ago, JiF said:

You know it all is about controlling them for another year before arbitration- money talks

6 man starting rotation will not help if they do not pitch up to their capabilities. Ces ongoing injury history is more than worrisome especially with Mets training staff

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

A little life from this team that just keeps hanging around, hanging around.

If they can go 7-6 over the next 13 in this current tough stretch, they may be able to make a late run.

.500 at the break, it's all we need. Hanging around all summer, it's what the Collins Mets do best.

Jacob deGrom felt like he got his teeth kicked in over his last two starts. He responded by laying his own haymakers Monday night.

And even when it was clear the fight was over, the Mets’ right-hander refused to allow anyone else to complete the job.

“I walked in [the dugout after the eighth inning] and I said I want to finish the game,” deGrom said. “That’s when I knew I was going back out.”

DeGrom went the distance for the second time in his career — it was also the first complete game for a Mets pitcher this season — stymieing the defending world-champion Cubs, 6-1, at Citi Field to extend the Mets’ winning streak to four games. He capped the 116-pitch performance by striking out Willson Contreras with a 97-mph fastball.

“He mixed his pitches tonight, and that’s the guy we know that’s in there,” manager Terry Collins said. “I’m not saying it happened, but he sat and watched the last two nights, watched [Seth Lugo and Steven Matz] use their off-speed stuff, throw strikes, move the ball around. He might’ve said, ‘I could do that too’, and he did it.”

After giving up an alarming 15 earned runs over eight innings in his previous two starts, deGrom relied less on his fastball and more on his off-speed stuff, particularly his changeup. He credited the work he put in between starts with pitching coach Dan Warthen for the pitch’s improvement. He made a concerted effort to keep his left shoulder closed, so the pitch wouldn’t sail and instead have more biting action.

“I think Dan said I was throwing it 4 percent [this year]. Years past, it was 20 percent,” deGrom said. “Big difference for me.”

He kept the powerful Cubs off balance, limiting them to five hits and 13 ground-ball outs. He struck out six and walked four, one of which was intentional. When he got in trouble, deGrom really went to work, inducing four double-play balls. As a result, he lowered his ERA nearly a half of a run, from 4.75 to 4.33.

“I was able to locate pretty much whenever I wanted,” he said.

DeGrom’s stellar outing continued a resurgent run by Mets starting pitchers. Over their last six games, every starter has allowed one run or less. And the Mets, not coincidentally, have won five of those games. DeGrom took it a step further than the others, however, by recording the final three outs himself.

“I want to finish every game,” he said. “I’ve said that before, and I had a chance to.”

washington weakness is their bullpen not that ours is great hah. So who put this cloud on the Mets that every single guy on the team goes on disabled list at some point

8 minutes ago, faba said:

washington weakness is their bullpen not that ours is great hah. So who put this cloud on the Mets that every single guy on the team goes on disabled list at some point

Rosario has to come up now.

• Upvote 1

Mets announced they're extending the nets almost to the outfield after the AS break. Good on them. Long overdue for MLB clubs to start doing this. Too many people getting maimed every year.

And honestly it's probably even more important for MILB. You're right on top of the players in a lot of those stadiums and sitting 30-40 feet away with no net is ******* terrifying. Anyone that's been to St. Lucie knows exactly what I'm talking about.