Jump to content

2017 Mets thread!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know what isn't this team's strength? The training and medical staff.

Was at St Lucie Sunday and Monday. This is a very loose and comfortable team together. The specimen that is Syndergaard is amazing to see up close and personal. Rosario just oozes ability as you

Back by popular demand, your 2017 New York Mets thread. 3rd time's a charm!

Posted Images

14 hours ago, section314 said:

Rosario has to come up now.

I disagree, no need to bring this kid up and put all the pressure of the expectations of this season on his shoulders. It's a disappointing season no need to compound that by bringing up a kid during this with all the negativity surrounding the team this year. 

Play out the next month and a half see where you are and either make a go for it with the players we have and some guys coming back from the DL or sell off pending free agents for minor improvemanets to the farm and hope we retool well in the offseason and catch some health breaks next year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I disagree, no need to bring this kid up and put all the pressure of the expectations of this season on his shoulders. It's a disappointing season no need to compound that by bringing up a kid during this with all the negativity surrounding the team this year. 

Play out the next month and a half see where you are and either make a go for it with the players we have and some guys coming back from the DL or sell off pending free agents for minor improvemanets to the farm and hope we retool well in the offseason and catch some health breaks next year 

The shame of it is, and I hate being optimistic at this point but if they could have just split or taken the series from the Nats and won at least break even games on the upcoming West Coast trip, they could have made a push for .500 at the all star break and you never know from there.

But with the injuries still piling up every single week, it just seems impossible. So I agree with you on this take.  Call the kids up but dont do it now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say this sums it up pretty well, 14 of 25, holy ****:

Quote

In addition to the eight players on the current DL, the Mets have also played long stretches this season without Yoenis Cespedes, Travis d'Arnaud, Lucas Duda, Wilmer Flores, Steven Matz, and Seth Lugo, all of whom have spent significant time on the DL.

In other words, in the span of just 65 games this season, they've put 14 of the 25 players from the Opening Day roster on the DL. And if you count Michael Conforto, who has only pinch hit the last four days due to a stiff back, it could be 15.

To date, Jose Reyes, Curtis Granderson, and Jay Bruce are the only players from the Opening Day starting lineup to have not been on the DL this season. Unfortunately, Reyes and Granderson are hitting a combined .191, so their presence hasn't exactly helped the situation.

Meanwhile, the Nationals -- who are 40-26 and leading the NL East -- have put only six players on the DL, with Adam Eaton and Jayson Werth the only two men lost from the Opening Day lineup.

I think we're hitting a point to where it might be better to announce who didn't get injured every day.

It's hard to attribute this to bad luck anymore. The Mets don't have communication between departments. Crasnick reported last month that the medical, coaching, and strength & conditioning departments don't coordinate at all, which is preposterous. In 2017 that is just ******* stupid with everything we know. I love the job that Alderson did in rebuilding the talent for this franchise and Collins the past few years, but IMO this is a product of a pair of old guys having absolutely zero understanding of the advances made over the past ten years in modern science and athletic performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2017 at 10:23 PM, JiF said:

That was fun!  

Good momentum going into this Nats series who have terrible momentum and might have a worse bull pen than us right now.

 

My fault, guys.  I got excited. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty interesting little case study coming up for the Mets. 19 games left until the break and 16 are on the road. The theory always goes that during hard times a long road trip should be a good thing for the team. Will be interesting to see if that holds up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pretty interesting little case study coming up for the Mets. 19 games left until the break and 16 are on the road. The theory always goes that during hard times a long road trip should be a good thing for the team. Will be interesting to see if that holds up.

It appears to just not be their year.Hope I am wrong, but they seem to be drained and it is not even the halfway point.

You would think that some infusion of youth would be a lift, but they seem reluctant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

It appears to just not be their year.Hope I am wrong, but they seem to be drained and it is not even the halfway point.

You would think that some infusion of youth would be a lift, but they seem reluctant.

I don't know what to make of anything at this point. 4 teams in the NL are on track to win 100 games, and there is no way that's possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Or if we continue to lose sell every piece off that's not signed past this year and focus on 2018

This.  The season is over and this roster is a mismatch of poopoo.  Dump them all and lets get the kids ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faba said:

Ok who would you trade to get something back at this point? opinions

Bruce, Duda , reed,granderson, Rene Rivera, Reyes (doubt he has any value),Blevins, basically anyone who's contract is up. If you have intentions on bringing either Blevins or reed go back after them during the offseason. Besides those two the only other guy that, MAYBE, should be on this team come 2018 is Rene Rivera. Also if im sandy I'm trading for chips to use to acquire major league help in the offseason not for long term development 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, faba said:

Ok who would you trade to get something back at this point? opinions

I think anyone but Thor, deGrom, and Mikey.

Worth noting that the sandwich pick rule for free agents is gone. So it's probably going to be a bit more of a sellers market than usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Shut up!

Why you so mad at me? I'm just trying to figure out when the games start mattering? I was told April doesn't even matter, so I'm trying to figure out what and when it matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Why you so mad at me? I'm just trying to figure out when the games start mattering? I was told April doesn't even matter, so I'm trying to figure out what and when it matters.

Save the bullsh*t for the main board. 

Its a sh*t season after a lot of hope and expectations your constant bringing up of April games is stupid, and FTR I wasn't the one to say that to you, but I do believe a bad April is not an indication of how your season will go and vice versa

 

Comments and bullsh*t like these are why I try to stay away from talking baseball on Mets boards and try to stay away from talking football on the jets board 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news these last two nights is that we didn't have to stay up late to watch them lose.  Both games were turned off before the 1st inning was over.

At least I have the Jets Dawgs to look forward to.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2017 at 7:57 PM, Anthony Jet said:

Save the bullsh*t for the main board. 

Its a sh*t season after a lot of hope and expectations your constant bringing up of April games is stupid, and FTR I wasn't the one to say that to you, but I do believe a bad April is not an indication of how your season will go and vice versa

 

Comments and bullsh*t like these are why I try to stay away from talking baseball on Mets boards and try to stay away from talking football on the jets board 

Yeah, but when I was voicing legitimate concerns about the team, it was cool to be told I was just having a hissy fit in every post, you liked that, just don't like my posts......

They do have an ignore feature....

And FTR, I don't give a crap about April either, my issues were with the way the team was built this year, and it just happened to be playing itself out in April, guess my "hissy fits" were not so wrong after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NoBowles said:

Yeah, but when I was voicing legitimate concerns about the team, it was cool to be told I was just having a hissy fit in every post, you liked that, just don't like my posts......

They do have an ignore feature....

And FTR, I don't give a crap about April either, my issues were with the way the team was built this year, and it just happened to be playing itself out in April, guess my "hissy fits" were not so wrong after all.

So if the season turned around would you be on here saying can't believe I had my period over losses in April?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Anthony Jet said:

So if the season turned around would you be on here saying can't believe I had my period over losses in April?

Yeah, I would have put a maxi pad on and said I was wrong..... Again, my issues were less with April losses, and more with the way Sandy built this roster. But nice one nonetheless.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Yeah, I would have put a maxi pad on and said I was wrong..... Again, my issues were less with April losses, and more with the way Sandy built this roster. But nice one nonetheless.

Issues are valid but that's not what kept getting brought up. April swoon is what you kept harping on. 

Anyway, I had no issues with the team except a small concern about the bullpen. I was wrong, apparently, but still feel if the pitching pitched anywhere near expectations we are in the thick of things. No one could've predicted our pitching to be so bad,NO ONE. I don't fault sandy. 

Sandys warts lie in the draft and the beaten dead horse of Murphy and even turner 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Issues are valid but that's not what kept getting brought up. April swoon is what you kept harping on. 

Anyway, I had no issues with the team except a small concern about the bullpen. I was wrong, apparently, but still feel if the pitching pitched anywhere near expectations we are in the thick of things. No one could've predicted our pitching to be so bad,NO ONE. I don't fault sandy. 

Sandys warts lie in the draft and the beaten dead horse of Murphy and even turner 

No, its not, like, not at all. The April swoon was proving what my concerns were going into the season.

I have generally been supportive of Sandy from day 1, and even when most Mets fans were bashing him for not signing big names, I thought he was doing the right thing.

But, he's been here a while, and outside of the trade for Thor, the pitching staff was largely handed to him. He has done a bad job with the pen, particularly when you consider the power starting pitching, and the HR or bust lineup he has built.

It was clear going into this season that the pen was going to be a mess this year.

I also personally would like to see more balance with the lineup, and not the entire lineup being HR or bust, but more and more teams seem to be going that approach. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is how bad it has gotten:-- our pitching stats are comparable to the 62 Mets:

  • ERA: 5.04 (62) vs 5.05 (17)
  • Hits per 9 innings: 9.9 (62) vs 9.7 
  • Walks per 9: 3.6 (62) vs 3.8
  • HR/9: 1.21 (62) vs 1.50
  • Opp bating average: .281 (62) vs .272

Good to know that Warthen is safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

It's come and gone. But at this point might as well wait till season is completely out of reach, lower expectations 

I guess. Wouldn't want to rush the kid but this seems like an ideal time. Long road trip with no competition from the vets, followed by the break where him and the staff can assess things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...