2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2017 at 8:53 PM, SenorGato said:

Wrong thread 

The war is over ; no need for a helmet . Unless , you are a Cubs fan !!! HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's less that I truly enjoy this and more am awed by the cruelty of karma. I bet Tyler's not the only pill the Mets' FO wants to call upon, amirite folks!?!?!? It's cool THO, you beat the Cubs that one time on the way to losing the WS to the Royals at home. Plus I think the Mets swept the Cubs last year when the Cubs won the WS. There will always be those moments.

Looking forward to Rosario!

Edit: OH yeah - and the LH prospect folks were ready to be high on had TJ surgery. Szapucki...

On 7/24/2017 at 6:37 PM, SenorGato said:

It's less that I truly enjoy this and more am awed by the cruelty of karma. I bet Tyler's not the only pill the Mets' FO wants to call upon, amirite folks!?!?!? It's cool THO, you beat the Cubs that one time on the way to losing the WS to the Royals at home. Plus I think the Mets swept the Cubs last year when the Cubs won the WS. There will always be those moments.

Looking forward to Rosario!

Edit: OH yeah - and the LH prospect folks were ready to be high on had TJ surgery. Szapucki...

Quite the zinger, Mr. Cat.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Quite the zinger, Mr. Cat.  

POTY quality for sure. Sucks about the season, more good teams >>> fewer. OTOH wow this season is hilarious, the silence of this forum is particularly deafening this year.

At least Rosario's a'comin. That guy is going to be a somebody.

22 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

POTY quality for sure. Sucks about the season, more good teams >>> fewer. OTOH wow this season is hilarious, the silence of this forum is particularly deafening this year.

At least Rosario's a'comin. That guy is going to be a somebody.

Not a whole to to talk about, unfortunately.  Discussing the varying level of injuries to the entire line up gets a little old after 100 games of the same thing.   It's not like they're doing anything significant to the line up to discuss.  

Rosario is exciting but Tebow brings the real excitement. 

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

What's the likelihood a single ones of those prospects sees the majors?

I am definitely not qualified to answer that LOL.  But Reed is a FA after this season.  I suppose he's as likely to end up back here now as he was before the trade so really, we have given up next to nothing except maybe 2-3 meaningless wins this year.  If they get hot and climb back to within 3 games by Sep 1, then this will look bad.

I guess the thought is going with quantity rather than shooting for quality with how flooded this market is. Man what a sh*tty year to be a seller. If one of these guys from any of these trades work out I suppose that's a win. 

Can't say I'm too excited about the returns being more pitching though. We need to focus on building a long term lineup IMO. 

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I guess the thought is going with quantity rather than shooting for quality with how flooded this market is. Man what a sh*tty year to be a seller. If one of these guys from any of these trades work out I suppose that's a win. 

Can't say I'm too excited about the returns being more pitching though. We need to focus on building a long term lineup IMO. 

The Mets farm system has been exposed for not having reliever depth. The Duda trade and Reed trade make that better. Callahan is supposedly close to being ready. The rest is depth.

The Mets need to take care of Catcher (Lucroy?), Third Base and 2nd Base for next season.

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets farm system has been exposed for not having reliever depth. The Duda trade and Reed trade make that better. Callahan is supposedly close to being ready. The rest is depth.

The Mets need to take care of Catcher (Lucroy?), Third Base and 2nd Base for next season.

I guess. I know I shouldn't complain much because the Mets have had success in recent years and the farm system is still good; but it's hard to look at the Cubs and Yankees and not think that's the right way to do it. Build lineups and buy pitching. Way easier to go that route than building pitching and buying a lineup. 

Could be wrong, but the Mets have been so up and down leaning this hard on home bred arms, and teams who go the other way don't seem to have these sorts of problems. 

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I guess. I know I shouldn't complain much because the Mets have had success in recent years and the farm system is still good; but it's hard to look at the Cubs and Yankees and not think that's the right way to do it. Build lineups and buy pitching. Way easier to go that route than building pitching and buying a lineup. 

Could be wrong, but the Mets have been so up and down leaning this hard on home bred arms, and teams who go the other way don't seem to have these sorts of problems. 

Hard to say. Look at how much hitting was traded at the deadline. Hardly any buyers on hitting. Contending clubs wanted and needed pitching, and paid (in some cases) pretty hefty sums in order to acquire it.

Teams can be built in any number of ways. What I think can be the general statement here is that having a quality farm system is truly a must. 

As an aside, Alderson should be credited for trading for Ramos (who has a year left of control), and simultaneously tightening the market on available relievers to create a better haul on Reed. Or, at least from appearances.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hard to say. Look at how much hitting was traded at the deadline. Hardly any buyers on hitting. Contending clubs wanted and needed pitching, and paid (in some cases) pretty hefty sums in order to acquire it.

Teams can be built in any number of ways. What I think can be the general statement here is that having a quality farm system is truly a must. 

As an aside, Alderson should be credited for trading for Ramos (who has a year left of control), and simultaneously tightening the market on available relievers to create a better haul on Reed. Or, at least from appearances.

I get it. Crappy year to be a seller and our assets were good, but not great enough to warrant teams paying much. The Mets have a lot of money opening up and hopefully they can just buy what they couldn't trade for. Rest of the year is just for enjoying Jake and checking out Amed. 

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Mets are putting something together with Rosario, Conforto, and even the two catchers if they ever get going. Dominic Smith seems like a promising first baseman prospect too.  

They also haven't blown up the past two first round pick pitchers and Syndergaard hasn't had any surgery yet so there's good news with pitchers. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it. Crappy year to be a seller and our assets were good, but not great enough to warrant teams paying much. The Mets have a lot of money opening up and hopefully they can just buy what they couldn't trade for. Rest of the year is just for enjoying Jake and checking out Amed. 

Even just one of the 4 relievers that they acquired in the past 2 weeks begins a regular middle innings guy, or even better a future closer, this trade period will have to be deemed a success. 

The Mets were not re-signing either Duda or Reed. Got something for them while they could. 

In the best world, several of these relievers turn into something, they have cheap, controllable assets in that area of the team and can spend in other areas.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:56 PM, Scott Dierking said:

With Cabrera sticking around, Flores and TJ.... I think 2nd base is well manned. 3rd base and catcher are the two positions of great need!

Get them in FA.

Rosario batting 7th and playing SS to nite. Smith is just a matter of time.

There's a core of players on this team to feel good about. Just gotta wait and see how Sandy tweaks it for next year. Conforto can ball and is driven. He proved it as far as I'm concerned.

The AJ Ramos trade was a slick move. Looking towards next year.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Cabrera sticking around, Flores and TJ.... I think 2nd base is well manned. 3rd base and catcher are the two positions of great need!

Get them in FA.

Gotta wonder if Walker is in the mix also. 

But like Dierking said: 2nd, 3rd, and C. With Coupon restraints I wonder if only two of those will be addressed. I don't like Wilmer or Rivera in the infield starting at 3rd, they're liabilities defensively. I suppose 2nd is possible, but if Rivera's arm doesn't heal that counts that out . We'll see, will be interesting to see what they do

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Even just one of the 4 relievers that they acquired in the past 2 weeks begins a regular middle innings guy, or even better a future closer, this trade period will have to be deemed a success. 

The Mets were not re-signing either Duda or Reed. Got something for them while they could. 

In the best world, several of these relievers turn into something, they have cheap, controllable assets in that area of the team and can spend in other areas.

Like I said, I get it, I just question it. We're spending more resources building the bullpen then they are outfielders and infield positions. Priorities just seem out of wack. All-Star pitching, both starters and relievers, can be bought more easily than offense. The Mets need cheap hitters more than they do cheap relievers. 

If this is what was available, that's fine. But it's still a let down. After Dom and Rosario there seems to be a real lag on offense on the farm, and we've been doing nothing but drafting pitching and trading for pitching. I look at things comparatively, and looking around the league this isn't what the other teams that look to be set up for long term success are doing. 

22 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Like I said, I get it, I just question it. We're spending more resources building the bullpen then they are outfielders and infield positions. Priorities just seem out of wack. All-Star pitching, both starters and relievers, can be bought more easily than offense. The Mets need cheap hitters more than they do cheap relievers. 

If this is what was available, that's fine. But it's still a let down. After Dom and Rosario there seems to be a real lag on offense on the farm, and we've been doing nothing but drafting pitching and trading for pitching. I look at things comparatively, and looking around the league this isn't what the other teams that look to be set up for long term success are doing. 

I dunno if your right or wrong about easier to buy pitching than hitting right now but I could swear that the rule of thumb used to be the opposite. 

But that could also be from the last run the Mets had was all lineup no pitching 06-08

36 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I dunno if your right or wrong about easier to buy pitching than hitting right now but I could swear that the rule of thumb used to be the opposite. 

But that could also be from the last run the Mets had was all lineup no pitching 06-08

It's possible. I don't think I ever really know what I'm talking about, I'm just going by what I see with other teams. The franchises that look best set up for long-term competitiveness don't seem to do things our way. We have focused so heavily on pitching for so long and here we are, back to a transitional period. It just strikes me as weird and something could have been done differently along the way to head that off. 

It's better to go after hitting prospects because they tend to be "safer".  If you were a great hitter at a top prep program or a good college program, your skillset has a better chance of translating than it does for pitchers. 

Pitchers get hurt, mismanaged, flame out quickly or just plain don't translate sometimes.  They're not nearly stable enough assets to invest the kind of resources that the Mets do.  Plus, you're about as likely to find pitchers in the mid-later rounds of the draft as you are at the top.  Even more importantly, the bust probability is much higher for pitchers taken in the early rounds than it is for hitters.  The 2013 draft had tons of pitching busts, but Kris Bryant and Aaron Judge were among the first 32 picks.  The 2012 draft saw Michael Wacha go in the 1st as the best pitcher of that class, but it also saw Carlos Correa, Corey Seager and Addison Russell. 

So yeah, there's a lot of credence to the philosophy of allocating your draft picks primarily to hitting prospects.  You might not be able to trade them as easily down the road, but you're more likely to get more "bang for your buck". 

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's possible. I don't think I ever really know what I'm talking about, I'm just going by what I see with other teams. The franchises that look best set up for long-term competitiveness don't seem to do things our way. We have focused so heavily on pitching for so long and here we are, back to a transitional period. It just strikes me as weird and something could have been done differently along the way to head that off. 

I think the Yanks spent 10 of their first 11 picks in the draft on pitchers.  You need some of both, if Severino doesn't step up, they are not nearly as close to 1st place.

Archived