2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Super Bowl before I die said:

Rosario's idol must be Cespedes .

When Rosario can carry a team to the post season on one leg, after carrying a team to the WS, he gets a pass. He has some some lessons to be learned. Hopefully they're not hard lessons.

Wally LOL. Yeah, and hire Dykstra as bench coach.

Kudos to David Wright for what he said. I'm proud of him. I was never the biggest fan, but I am now. 

Hire Ventura, Wright as bench coach, and move Goody to 3rd base coach.

Kick Jeff Wilpon in the balls squarely. After all these years, now we have that schmuck exercising his ****wit ass into the team. 

On 9/30/2017 at 1:42 PM, JohnJ said:

Wally LOL. Yeah, and hire Dykstra as bench coach.

Kudos to David Wright for what he said. I'm proud of him. I was never the biggest fan, but I am now. 

Hire Ventura, Wright as bench coach, and move Goody to 3rd base coach.

Kick Jeff Wilpon in the balls squarely. After all these years, now we have that schmuck exercising his ****wit ass into the team. 

I'm really just hoping they go completely younger all over the organization. If they want to keep Wright in some capacity that's fine, but they need an entire staff turnover that understands modern day strength & conditioning, especially with pitchers. The Mets still have a good framework to compete in the NL and will have a lot of money to spend, but they need some people at the top that know what they're doing with players. It's really preposterous how talented the Mets were when they started the season and what they ended with; and that is 100% on the ******* organization, and especially on Terry.

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm really just hoping they go completely younger all over the organization. If they want to keep Wright in some capacity that's fine, but they need an entire staff turnover that understands modern day strength & conditioning, especially with pitchers. The Mets still have a good framework to compete in the NL and will have a lot of money to spend, but they need some people at the top that know what they're doing with players. It's really preposterous how talented the Mets were when they started the season and what they ended with; and that is 100% on the ******* organization, and especially on Terry.

I got the feeling Terry was on the way out in August, maybe even earlier, and felt that it was time. There was a vibe in the dugout that was visible. But in typical Mets organizational style, it goes to sh*t. Things go bad, a bunch rats scurry for cover, finger point, and kick the man when he's down. It was reminiscent of Willie. Of course when things go bad in Mets land there needs to be a scapegoat so Terry gets blamed when all he's doing is putting the players he has on the field to try and win. Just take the hit as an organization whether there's fault or not. Blaming the injuries on Terry is ridiculous when Sandy is overseer of everything including organizational approach. Sometimes sh*t happens, but let's make sure somebody takes a hit to the balls, even tho nobody knows what really happened, cough cough Sandy. There's gotta be a few real snickering pussies in that organization.

Outside of the injuries, with a new generation of players it's probably for the best, and time. 

7 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I got the feeling Terry was on the way out in August, maybe even earlier, and felt that it was time. There was a vibe in the dugout that was visible. But in typical Mets organizational style, it goes to sh*t. Things go bad, a bunch rats scurry for cover, finger point, and kick the man when he's down. It was reminiscent of Willie. Of course when things go bad in Mets land there needs to be a scapegoat so Terry gets blamed when all he's doing is putting the players he has on the field to try and win. Just take the hit as an organization whether there's fault or not. Blaming the injuries on Terry is ridiculous when Sandy is overseer of everything including organizational approach. Sometimes sh*t happens, but let's make sure somebody takes a hit to the balls, even tho nobody knows what really happened, cough cough Sandy. There's gotta be a few real snickering pussies in that organization.

Outside of the injuries, with a new generation of players it's probably for the best, and time. 

It's the manager's job to manage playing time. 

I thought of this in the Yankee thread, people had been taking about the Yanks going after Harper and Machado in the big 2019 FA year, but they have big prospects/players at those positions now, that it seems that the Mets would be the best to pursue those guys.

Putting aside the Wilpon issues, what do you guys think about the Mets going that route?  The Mets pitching should be sorted out by then (assuming no long-term injuries) and having a Conforto, Harper, Machado heart of the lineup would be great.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

I thought of this in the Yankee thread, people had been taking about the Yanks going after Harper and Machado in the big 2019 FA year, but they have big prospects/players at those positions now, that it seems that the Mets would be the best to pursue those guys.

Putting aside the Wilpon issues, what do you guys think about the Mets going that route?  The Mets pitching should be sorted out by then (assuming no long-term injuries) and having a Conforto, Harper, Machado heart of the lineup would be great.

The problem is that the Mets handing out those sorts of FA contracts works out well approximately 0% of the time.  

3 hours ago, SMC said:

I would not give Harper the money that he wants.   He's had 1 monster year.   If you miss on a contract like that, it kills you forever.   That's not the guy I give it to.

14 hours ago, chirorob said:

I would not give Harper the money that he wants.   He's had 1 monster year.   If you miss on a contract like that, it kills you forever.   That's not the guy I give it to.

That's understandable.  Harper's money would scare me as well.

How about the big contract for Machado.  He'd make a great left side tandem with Rosario

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The problem is that the Mets handing out those sorts of FA contracts works out well approximately 0% of the time.  

This is true, but Harper and Machado are at least in their mid-20s.  They're not 30 something ballplayers looking for last big contract.

28 minutes ago, SMC said:

That's understandable.  Harper's money would scare me as well.

How about the big contract for Machado.  He'd make a great left side tandem with Rosario

Machado before Harper, but it depends on what he wants.   Does he want 30+ million a year?   How much of your payroll does that eat up?

On 10/4/2017 at 8:54 AM, JiF said:

Looking forward to the new skipper and next season.  It was hard to watch toward the end but it was great for Smith and Rosario and the other young bucks to get some quality time. 

Really hope Mets seriously consider John Farrell. Like it or not, the next manager is going to have to deal with Cespedes, and all his crap. Farrell had Big Pappi for years. Farrell was in the most high pressured managerial spot in baseball, so New York won't faze him. And as a pitching coach, may be just the guy to get these pampered, underachieving guys to reach their potential. Hope they go for a proven guy, and don't keep doing it the Jets way and hire a bench coach/coordinator for the top spot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 9:56 AM, section314 said:

Really hope Mets seriously consider John Farrell. Like it or not, the next manager is going to have to deal with Cespedes, and all his crap. Farrell had Big Pappi for years. Farrell was in the most high pressured managerial spot in baseball, so New York won't faze him. And as a pitching coach, may be just the guy to get these pampered, underachieving guys to reach their potential. Hope they go for a proven guy, and don't keep doing it the Jets way and hire a bench coach/coordinator for the top spot.

Farrell is a mess. He would have been terrible for the Mets.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Farrell is a mess. He would have been terrible for the Mets.

Not to mention too old. We shouldn't have been thinking about anyone over 50. I liked Cora as he always brings a good atmosphere where ever he goes and I thought he was a good fit for the Flushing vibe, not to mention he played for the Mets and had a ton of NL experience as a player. He better win in Boston within a year or two or they are going to run him out of town.

I'm happy with the Callaway hire. Francona seems to adore the guy and that's enough for me.

I wonder if after Smith’s showing the Mets finally go after Votto. If they do, and they won’t because they’re the Mets, probably should look into Iglesias the reliever too, and maybe that UT IF on their roster I forget who. 

With the right moves this team could help make 2018 probably the greatest and most competitive ML season ever. Next year Harper in a walk year, another Trout season, age 27 Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo’s last season in his 20s, Machado in a walk year, Syndergaard back and still at peak ages, the two loaded 2017 WS teams, Cleveland and the Yankees, Oakland’s on the cusp of putting out some high end talent, the Cardinals are looking to spend big this offseason, the Twins have some players and maybe more money to spend than we think kind of thing...Some sh*t is going down next year 

Archived