2017 Mets thread!

adb280z

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  I was ready to give up on the guy in the offseason.  Not sold on him yet, but he has at least bought himself a week or two without me complaining that Rivera needs more starts.

Definitely. We don't even need him to keep hitting like he has the past 3-4 games. He can be a mediocre hitter so long as he keeps his defense up. That's all the team needs him to do. Anything else is a bonus.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d'A looked lost out there for a long time. He was out there competing to win last night for sixteen innings, and had a fabulous game across the board . That run he scored from 1st on the double was impressive.

Knock on wood

Smith and Rosario are excelling for Triple-A Las Vegas

By Danny Abriano | 11:45AM

Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario and 1B Dominic Smith (Photo Credit: USA Today Sports)
Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario and 1B Dominic Smith (Photo Credit: USA Today Sports)

Mets 1B prospect Dominic Smith and SS prospect Amed Rosario are excelling this season for Triple-A Las Vegas.

Entering Friday's game, Smith was hitting .406 with a .441 OBP and .594 SLG with one home run, three doubles, and four RBI in 32 at-bats.

Rosario entered Friday hitting .344 with a .353 OBP and .344 SLG in 32 at-bats. He has yet to hit an extra-base hit but has stolen two bases.

rosario_okk92d8v.jpg

The 21-year-old Rosario was named the top prospect in baseball earlier this week by ESPN's Keith Law.

"Rosario is big for shortstop but in his own league athletically," Law said in January. "He's almost a lock to stay at the position, and he's gifted with quick actions, a plus arm and the ability to throw accurately while in motion. He has MVP potential as a true shortstop who will be above average defensively and projects to hit .300 with some walks and power." 

Smith, 21, hit .302 with a .367 OBP and .457 SLG with 14 HR and 91 RBI last season for Double-A Binghamton, where he displayed legitimate in-game power for the first time.

"It really took me until this past year to get my swing in tune with my body and learn how to be a solid run-producer," Smith told MiLB.com during spring training. "It's like a game of chess: you pick your spots to do damage with the long ball. I wanted to develop and drive balls all over the field but also play the cat-and-mouse game of picking spots to do maximum damage; in the past, I didn't do that. I'm looking to drive the ball with authority in certain situations as opposed to just getting a hit."

Smith and Rosario are getting their first taste of Triple-A.

Marlins are such a tough team. I'm happy this is the last game we have against them for a few weeks. I honestly think I'd rather play the Nats or Cubs than Miami, they are better teams but the Marlins are the biggest pests in baseball. Gordon, Ozuna, Realmuto...etc. Every single out of every inning is such a grind.

Shame about Fernandez. Really the only thing they are missing is an ace. Very complete ballclub otherwise.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Marlins are such a tough team. I'm happy this is the last game we have against them for a few weeks. I honestly think I'd rather play the Nats or Cubs than Miami, they are better teams but the Marlins are the biggest pests in baseball. Gordon, Ozuna, Realmuto...etc. Every single out of every inning is such a grind.

Shame about Fernandez. Really the only thing they are missing is an ace. Very complete ballclub otherwise.

Mets played like dog sh*t, their bullpen is going to be a problem all year, and their offense is way too feast or famine.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

That sucked.  Marlins own the Mets.  It disgusts me.  They're a good ball club though.  Not sure outside of the starting rotation that Mets are any better to be honest.

Relief pitching is terrible right now. 

Not sure sucked is a strong enough word.  Coming off of a 9-8 16 inning win on Thursday and riding a 5 game winning streak, with Thor, Degrom and Harvey ready to go.  All 3 guys pitch well and we still lose all 3.  Bullpen was horribad and the bats went silent so there was no margin for error.  Very frustrating weekend of baseball.  

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure sucked is a strong enough word.  Coming off of a 9-8 16 inning win on Thursday and riding a 5 game winning streak, with Thor, Degrom and Harvey ready to go.  All 3 guys pitch well and we still lose all 3.  Bullpen was horribad and the bats went silent so there was no margin for error.  Very frustrating weekend of baseball.  

I honestly think that 16 inning game just murdered the BP. Getting Fams back will be helpful but that unit didn't fall off until after that game.

I still think we'll move Bruce eventually for some help in that area. Especially if Conforto keeps this up.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

When DeGrom struck out the side in the 7th only to watch Salas literally look like he was pitching with arm barely attached to his shoulder, I wanted to go hug DeGrom.   You could see it the second he took the mound, he was giving up that lead.  DeGrom gave up those 2 back to back and then went in straight domination mode.  Kind of wish he could have had the 8th.  I know its early and you're trying to preserve your starters but doesnt the same go for the bull pen?  

Thor, Harvey - another couple of great outings, completely wasted. 

I really ******* hate the Marlins. 

55 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I honestly think that 16 inning game just murdered the BP. Getting Fams back will be helpful but that unit didn't fall off until after that game.

I still think we'll move Bruce eventually for some help in that area. Especially if Conforto keeps this up.

This is what pissed me off the most. It should have impacted the Marlins even more than us. Our starters kept the pen out as much as possible after that game, and we were in their bullpen much sooner than they were every game. Yet their pen shut us down completely, and ours sucked. Very disappointed with the offense and pen in this series.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

This is what pissed me off the most. It should have impacted the Marlins even more than us. Our starters kept the pen out as much as possible after that game, and we were in their bullpen much sooner than they were every game. Yet their pen shut us down completely, and ours sucked. Very disappointed with the offense and pen in this series.

If memory serves correctly we had already gone deep into that unit in a couple games prior to that too. Plus it's on the road in a quirky ballpark against a lineup that we have consistently struggled with. 

I'm not too worried just yet. April baseball is always weird, for better or worse.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Speaking of which, where are we ranking the Cespedes trade in Mets history? Gotta be 3rd or 4th at this point. Keith and Piazza are 1 and 2, then the Ces and Thor trades are probably battling it out for that 3 spot.

Gary Carter?

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Gary Carter?

Yeah, I think Carter gets 3 because he was the final piece to a championship team. But I will say this, if the Mets can win a ring with Ces, I think it goes down as the best move they have ever made. Love the Kid, love Keith, love Piazza, but Yo is the man. He's not the best hitter this club has ever had, but he is the most dangerous and the run he had in 2015 is the greatest 2 month stretch for any hitter in Mets history.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah, I think Carter gets 3 because he was the final piece to a championship team. But I will say this, if the Mets can win a ring with Ces, I think it goes down as the best move they have ever made. Love the Kid, love Keith, love Piazza, but Yo is the man. He's not the best hitter this club has ever had, but he is the most dangerous and the run he had in 2015 is the greatest 2 month stretch for any hitter in Mets history.

I'm not as good on Mets history (Yankee fan).  But Yo has to be the best trade in.... 15 years?  Def. the best since Piazza.   I can't think of that many other big trades they had that went real well, Frank Viola was good for a bit, but I don't know if he was a trade or a FA. 

If Thor stays healthy, they'll be talking about him like Houston talks about Bagwell from the Red Sox.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If memory serves correctly we had already gone deep into that unit in a couple games prior to that too. Plus it's on the road in a quirky ballpark against a lineup that we have consistently struggled with. 

I'm not too worried just yet. April baseball is always weird, for better or worse.

Hope your right, I was worried about the pen before the season started, even more worried now.

31 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not as good on Mets history (Yankee fan).  But Yo has to be the best trade in.... 15 years?  Def. the best since Piazza.   I can't think of that many other big trades they had that went real well, Frank Viola was good for a bit, but I don't know if he was a trade or a FA. 

If Thor stays healthy, they'll be talking about him like Houston talks about Bagwell from the Red Sox.

Definitely the best since Piazza. Majority of trades the Mets pulled off from the 90s until the Dickey deal wound up being so bad excepting the Benitez deal and one or two others, including ones that they didn't make (i.e. not trading Lastings Milledge). They traded away Nails and McDowell to Philly when they were disassembling the '86 team and everything kind of snowballed. Trading away Jeff Kent, Melvin Mora, Jason Isringhausen...etc. All that coin for Bonilla and the only thing they got in return was Ochoa who busted and a deferred salary. The Kazmir trade...etc. Took a really long time to recover from all that stuff and the Piazza deal was kind of the new beginning that the Mets needed sorely, much like the emergence of the pitching staff for this current generation.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

I'd put the Thor and d'Arnaud trade over the Yo trade.  They gave up Dickey who has never replicated his Cy Young year for a stud pitcher and a starting catcher.  With Cespedes they gave up the AL Rookie of the Year.

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Lugo to begin throwing tomorrow 

There's a positive. Familia's back soon too.

d'A is playing good baseball....woulda thunk? Not me, but I sure like it.

Reyes has his head up his ass. 

Relief pitching continues to be brutal and overworked. 

Last 4 games our bullpen is 0-4 with a 7.15 ERA; Starters have no decisions, but a 1.88 ERA during the losing streak.  And offensively, we have just 21 hits in 4 games so even when our starters leave with the lead, there is no margin for error.  And it snot as if we have been going up against a collection of Cy Young candidates,  

Hopefully they can get it turned around starting tonight.

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

Relief pitching continues to be brutal and overworked. 

Last 4 games our bullpen is 0-4 with a 7.15 ERA; Starters have no decisions, but a 1.88 ERA during the losing streak.  And offensively, we have just 21 hits in 4 games so even when our starters leave with the lead, there is no margin for error.  And it snot as if we have been going up against a collection of Cy Young candidates,  

Hopefully they can get it turned around starting tonight.

I think everything would be a workable problem if the top of the order was just getting on base. We are 2nd in home runs but 10th in RBIs and 12th in runs. That about sums it up right there.

This your Mets team hit home runs they score if they do not no scoring - that is what Sandy built . Bullpen overworked but very discouraging stretch-winnable games are going the other way right now- need to bounce back take these two before Wash this weekend

On 4/17/2017 at 8:45 PM, JohnJ said:

There's a positive. Familia's back soon too.

d'A is playing good baseball....woulda thunk? Not me, but I sure like it.

Reyes has his head up his ass. 

SMFH.

Shoulda said nuthin' about d'A....GTF out of the way you dick!! Wake up!! :angry:

Then he botches the tag..... Good grief

Right about Reyes tho...:(

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

4 hours ago, faba said:

Groundhog day we hit homers we win I can repeat this  over and over hah

Time to bench Grandy put Conforto coach every day

Grandy/Lagares off the bench.

I'm annoyed as all hell that we lost Lugo and Nimmo because of the WBC. Granted Lugo may have been a matter of time. Still, hopefully that's it with guys projected in the 40 man or on the verge of the 25. Never again :angry:

8 hours ago, faba said:

Groundhog day we hit homers we win I can repeat this  over and over hah

Time to bench Grandy put Conforto coach every day

Bruce at 1B today for Duda.  Grandy, Conforto & Ces in the OF.  Now, if we only had a 3rd baseman.

Archived