2017 offseason mock

Paradis

As we get closer I deviate towards what I think the Jets will do, this time around however, I'm going with what I would do.  

Notable moves: 

Cuts/FA: Giaco (Cut) Revis (retires), Winters (wants too much $$), Gilchrist (injury settlement/cut), Harris (part ways), Clady gone.
Trade: Richardson to SF for a 3rd rnd pick (top of the 3rd). 
resign/restructure; Mangold

FA signings; OT Andrew Whitworth, OG Ron Leary, CB D. Kirkpatrick, FS C. Conte, ILB K. Minter

DRAFT:
Jets trade back 8 spots (IND moves up to take Fournette to pair with Luck. We get a 2nd this year and 1st next year)

1- RB D. Cook (Fl St)
2- OLB T. McKinley (UCLA)... the real deal! 
2- OT. F. Lamp (wku)
3- QB L. Falk (wazzu)
3- CB C. Sutton (ten)
4- TE J. Sprinkle (Ark)
5- WR J. Lane (arkron) 

Loose roster:

QB: Petty, Falk, Hackenberg
RB: Cook, Powell, Forte
WR: Marshall, Decker, Q Enunwa, R Anderson, D Smith, J Lane
TE: ASJ, Sprinkle, Bostick
OL: Whiteworth, Carpenter, Leary, Mangold, W. Johnson, B. Shell, F. Lamp

DL: Williams, Wilkerson, McLendon, Simon
LB: Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin, McKinley, Minter, Ochi 
DB: Kirkpatrick, Burris, Skrine, Pryor, Conte, Sutton, Williams

Thoughts? Would you be excited? 

Revis isn't going to retire. Nota chance. He won't be a Jet next season though. 

First round running backs even with a trade down is not a good pick. Trade down and take a LT or a CB or an edge rusher, one of the big time positions. Take a RB later on and still get a good one. 

Also, I'm pretty sure they don't have a 4th round pick because of the Shell trade.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

As we get closer I deviate towards what I think the Jets will do, this time around however, I'm going with what I would do.  

Notable moves: 

Cuts/FA: Giaco (Cut) Revis (retires), Winters (wants too much $$), Gilchrist (injury settlement/cut), Harris (part ways), Clady gone.
Trade: Richardson to SF for a 3rd rnd pick (top of the 3rd). 
resign/restructure; Mangold

FA signings; OT Andrew Whitworth, OG Ron Leary, CB D. Kirkpatrick, FS C. Conte, ILB K. Minter

DRAFT:
Jets trade back 8 spots (IND moves up to take Fournette to pair with Luck. We get a 2nd this year and 1st next year)

1- RB D. Cook (Fl St)
2- OLB T. McKinley (UCLA)... the real deal! 
2- OT. F. Lamp (wku)
3- QB L. Falk (wazzu)
3- CB C. Sutton (ten)
4- TE J. Sprinkle (Ark)
5- WR J. Lane (arkron) 

Loose roster:

QB: Petty, Falk, Hackenberg
RB: Cook, Powell, Forte
WR: Marshall, Decker, Q Enunwa, R Anderson, D Smith, J Lane
TE: ASJ, Sprinkle, Bostick
OL: Whiteworth, Carpenter, Leary, Mangold, W. Johnson, B. Shell, F. Lamp

DL: Williams, Wilkerson, McLendon, Simon
LB: Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin, McKinley, Minter, Ochi 
DB: Kirkpatrick, Burris, Skrine, Pryor, Conte, Sutton, Williams

Thoughts? Would you be excited? 

I like your ideas. You clearly put some thought into it, so kudos.

I absolutely like the idea of going after OL in free agency. In my mind it's priority #1, #2, #3... It's the single biggest thing outside of QB that a team can do to turn their team around. I really believe that.

I think in the draft the Jets should grap a secondary/CB piece with the first round pick. There are a couple guys who may be on the board there. Jamal Adams, is a solid safety, or maybe a guy like Jalen Tabor or Adoree Jackson is still on the board... They're mid 1st rounders on most mocks... Jackson would be interest because he's a Kick/punt returner too, and he can really be a dynamic guy. He would play a good CB and also be a skill guy on the other side of the ball... I think whoever does draft him will be very happy with what they get.

I also don't want them to grab another QB sooner than maybe the 5th round. There are some good depth pieces at other positions in the 3,4,5th rounds this year that may not be stars but could plug and play as backups. Guys for both lines, some decent CB and safety projects, etc... I'd much rather see the Jets raise their depth than take another project QB, but that's just me, and I have no idea if that's the right move or not... This is the reason I really didn't like the Hack pick last year... There were some OL pieces on the board that I thought would serve the Jets as a team wayyyy better than grabbing a project QB... Once they did that I pretty much resigned myself to the Jets having a terrible line...

If they do grab a RB at somepoint, I hope it's a big bruiser type guy who can rush in the redzone and pick up those 1-3 yard plays... That would compliment Powel so well in a year or two. It won't be a flashy headline grabbing type of guy, but those 3rd and 1 plays or 2nd and goal plays are so big throughout the season. I'd love to have a guy who can just lower his shoulder, wear out a DL, and pick up those short yardage plays.

I like Fournette more than Cook, but I'd rather trade down and get Cook than stay put and take Fournette. So I'm with that.

If we're gonna take a QB in the mid rounds, I'd rather it be Kelly or Mahomes.

I like Lamp, technique wise he's the best tackle in the draft. But because of his size, he may be better suited as a Guard in the NFL

2 hours ago, King P said:

I like Fournette more than Cook, but I'd rather trade down and get Cook than stay put and take Fournette. So I'm with that.

If we're gonna take a QB in the mid rounds, I'd rather it be Kelly or Mahomes.

I like Lamp, technique wise he's the best tackle in the draft. But because of his size, he may be better suited as a Guard in the NFL

If you want Chad Kelly he'll probably be available as an undrafted rookie FA. I do not want to mess around with someone that's made as many poor decisions as him, period. For non QB's sure there have been some great redemption stories, but generally the QB of the team shouldn't be wired like a retard.

Need to address the offensive line in the first round. As of today but we have a long way to go especially at the combine but my pick would be Cam Robinson or Pat Elfein. This is not a deep draft in talent especially the offensive line. I go for Jourdan Lewis in the second round since we need a young quick cornerback. My third round pick would be a true tight end. We have a few TE out there that may not be picked in the first two rounds. We have 4 tight ends.  Jordan Leggett, Jake Butt, Jeremy Sprinkle or O.J. Howard would be nice. The 5TH round you could go get your RB like a James Connor who is a battler since he has recovered from cancer and runs with passion.     

On 12/26/2016 at 4:05 PM, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Good food for thought Paradis. Thanks. A couple of good responses but I had to stop and regurgitate at the one suggesting the Jets resign Geno

I am going to give it a bit more thought and then respond in full

We're not resigning Geno.  Fitz is a goner and tbh it wouldn't break my heart if we also cut Petty and Hack.

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

So your saying his upside is Fitz?

I don't think he can drive the football from the far hash mark to the sidelines without it being picked . He's a solid College player,  but  I would need to see that throw on a consistent basis to put him on my draft board .

All these QBs suck . The best guys are late round picks who you can stash and develop . The NFL really needs a developmental league for college players and young potential HCs . I think it worked for Jay Gruden and would work for some of these guys . Where would Curt Warner be without the Arena League  ?

REvis will not retire, not a big fan of the faulk pick but like a lot of the other stuff.  I'd be perfectly happy with Davin cook because this draft is short on olineman and i'm not sure about the CB's.  I'd take cook over forunette in any case.  Don;t think we can get an extra 1st though for moving down 8 spots.,  I have to do more research on the guys you drafted later in the draft.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:03 AM, thomascromartie said:

Y would indy give up a second and a first next yr to move up 8 spots to draft a rb....

Maybe a trade with Carolina to grab a RB and then another trade with the Saints, Colts or Eagles for a top CB

Just for comparison: In 2014 the 4th overall pick was traded for the 9th overall pick and the next years 1st (19th) and 4th (115th)

In 2013 the 8th pick and a 3rd round pick (71st) was traded for the 16th overall pick, a 2nd round (46th), 3rd round (78th), and a 7th (22nd)

Jets 1st round (5th) and 3rd (70th) for the 13 - 15th overall pick, a 2nd round (42/45/46), a 3rd (73/76/77) a 7th (233/244), a 1st and 4th in the 2018 draft. (via two trade backs)

Basically drop 8-10 spots and miss on a top talent, pick up an extra 2nd and 7th this year and a extra 1st and 4th next.

BTW, Falk is going back for his senior year.  Pac-12 is gonna be fun to watch with Jake Browning, Sam Darnold, Luke Falk, and Josh Rosen,

On December 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Maybe a trade with Carolina to grab a RB and then another trade with the Saints, Colts or Eagles for a top CB

Just for comparison: In 2014 the 4th overall pick was traded for the 9th overall pick and the next years 1st (19th) and 4th (115th)

In 2013 the 8th pick and a 3rd round pick (71st) was traded for the 16th overall pick, a 2nd round (46th), 3rd round (78th), and a 7th (22nd)

Jets 1st round (5th) and 3rd (70th) for the 13 - 15th overall pick, a 2nd round (42/45/46), a 3rd (73/76/77) a 7th (233/244), a 1st and 4th in the 2018 draft. (via two trade backs)

Basically drop 8-10 spots and miss on a top talent, pick up an extra 2nd and 7th this year and a extra 1st and 4th next.

BTW, Falk is going back for his senior year.  Pac-12 is gonna be fun to watch with Jake Browning, Sam Darnold, Luke Falk, and Josh Rosen,

The only trade that is as lopsided as the one presented is the Sammy Watkins trade in 2014 is an outlier...teams aren't willing to give up multiple firsts+additional early/mid-round picks to move up to grab anything but a franchise QB

Archived