Savage > petty

kevinc855

Here's another 4th rounder in his first start with only one more season under his belt looking light years better then petty. Plus our second round pick isn't even good enough apparently to dress. Don't get me started on Sanchez. Yea we really know how to draft qbs 

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Once again, Savage is playing on a much better team; their D and their O-line is much better; but sure, compare the two... 

He also has an extra season of study and practice under his belt... I know guys like to underestimate practicing and growing, but that one year is a big deal in development, I think.

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Could it be that our CS does not have the ability to coach College players into NFL players?

Of course. There's a lot of different factors involved... Which I think why it's unfair to compare guys like this... Ya they were both 4th rounders but that's where their nfl experience and story stop being similar...

18 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Of course. There's a lot of different factors involved... Which I think why it's unfair to compare guys like this... Ya they were both 4th rounders but that's where their nfl experience and story stop being similar...

Nonsense if you can't play by season 2 you aren't worth drafting 

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

Once again, Savage is playing on a much better team; their D and their O-line is much better; but sure, compare the two... 

Sweet. Maybe the Jets should see if they could like trade their 1st to the Texans and Petty goes to play with them for a game so that he can be evaluated "fairly".

This rofl logic is idiotic. Petty is playing on the team he's playing for and he can't get it done. He's lucked into the Bradford plan of where he'll be injured so people keep thinking he'll be good "if he could just stay healthy" and if he gets an all-star offensive line...and a superstar RB that blocks, catches and runs well....and Gronk decides he likes the NYC night life and comes to the Jets...and TY Hilton, Antonio Brown and Julio Jones all decide they want to play under offensive mastermind Chan Gailey...

Jets aren't far away from assembling a team that will allow them to evaluate Petty when you think about it.

29 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

people keep thinking he'll be good "if he could just stay healthy" and if he gets an all-star offensive line...and a superstar RB that blocks, catches and runs well....and Gronk decides he likes the NYC night life and comes to the Jets...and TY Hilton, Antonio Brown and Julio Jones all decide they want to play under offensive mastermind Chan Gailey...

Good Lord, it's The Chad Pennington Story and The Mark Sanchez Story all rolled into one!

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Sweet. Maybe the Jets should see if they could like trade their 1st to the Texans and Petty goes to play with them for a game so that he can be evaluated "fairly".

This rofl logic is idiotic. Petty is playing on the team he's playing for and he can't get it done. He's lucked into the Bradford plan of where he'll be injured so people keep thinking he'll be good "if he could just stay healthy" and if he gets an all-star offensive line...and a superstar RB that blocks, catches and runs well....and Gronk decides he likes the NYC night life and comes to the Jets...and TY Hilton, Antonio Brown and Julio Jones all decide they want to play under offensive mastermind Chan Gailey...

Jets aren't far away from assembling a team that will allow them to evaluate Petty when you think about it.

The OL is a disaster; so is the secondary (although that shouldn't affect Petty). The WRs are young, but will hopefully get better. I hope Macc can fix this team enough so that an average QB can help make the team competitive. And then, hopefully either Petty, Hack, or QB? can be at least average.

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The Texans aren't very good, play in a terrible division and scrapped by a 5-9 team to win it 

Sadly, not being very good is still much better than the Jets. OL is a disaster. But, yes, if they played in the AFC East, they would be toast.

Just like to add, while I agree about the O-line and being a disaster, there are a few legitimate concerns as well.
We must keep in mind this is a QB who is just about to compete his second year. He now has gotten all the reps in practice.
Now the concerns, he appears to have a very difficult time recognizing defenses. This is leading to poor or no decision making.
He is holding onto the ball way too long which is certainly a product of the above issue. I am in no way declaring he can't improve, he has a strong arm and the kid has courage. My concern is, he is not further along at this point in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Petty knockers kill me... Just look at the difference in O-Line play yesterday in the first qtr, and after Petty left the game. Night and day the time Fitz had to throw the ball vs the non-existent time Petty had.

I'm hardly a football expert but maybe it's the protections that Fitz called as opposed to those Petty called?

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Petty knockers kill me... Just look at the difference in O-Line play yesterday in the first qtr, and after Petty left the game. Night and day the time Fitz had to throw the ball vs the non-existent time Petty had.

Petty couldn't even hold onto the wet ball . What the hell was that about ? Another bust . NEXT . 

10 minutes ago, OH THE PAIN said:

Petty couldn't even hold onto the wet ball . What the hell was that about ? Another bust . NEXT . 

Seriously.  I had never heard of anyone never playing in the rain.  But when he had to yesterday it really affected him.  WTF.  A guy with such a strong arm can't hold onto the ball in wet weather?!  An NFL QB (especially in NY) needs to be able to deal with the elements.  Petty looked amateurish out there.

10 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Here's another 4th rounder in his first start with only one more season under his belt looking light years better then petty. Plus our second round pick isn't even good enough apparently to dress. Don't get me started on Sanchez. Yea we really know how to draft qbs 

And how NOT to. Joe Flacco, and Russell Wilson are just two of the many franchise QB's the Jets PASSED ON. 

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I was rooting for petty but hes terrible.  Hes softer then chad pennington and has no clue how to scan the field to find an open reciever.  

Given that he usually had one tenth of a second to 'scan the field' he is a guy more interested in watching the d-line than looking for an open guy. Plus, he has two left feet when it comes to moving in the pocket.

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Just like to add, while I agree about the O-line and being a disaster, there are a few legitimate concerns as well.
We must keep in mind this is a QB who is just about to compete his second year. He now has gotten all the reps in practice.
Now the concerns, he appears to have a very difficult time recognizing defenses. This is leading to poor or no decision making.
He is holding onto the ball way too long which is certainly a product of the above issue. I am in no way declaring he can't improve, he has a strong arm and the kid has courage. My concern is, he is not further along at this point in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like a guy that smiles after a bad play. Not that he has to be a sloucher like Sanchez, but don't grin after a bad play.

Jets really know how to pick QBs lol. I mean seriously, Petty moves like a slug, has zero awareness & now we find out he can't throw in the rain,lol. That lame azz throw to Powells feet was such a sad story of where this franchise is regarding a QB.

We can't even find guys that can throw simple dump offs!

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Jets really know how to pick QBs lol. I mean seriously, Petty moves like a slug, has zero awareness & now we find out he can't throw in the rain,lol. That lame azz throw to Powells feet was such a sad story of where this franchise is regarding a QB.

We can't even find guys that can throw simple dump offs!

Fwiw, I am interested in seeing if Hack has the tools.  After his freshman year he was a top NFL prospect (I heard people say he would be a #1 overall pick).  I know he apparently had 2 terrible seasons after that but maybe he's "fixable".  I wonder if the Jets are pampering him too much.  Maybe he'll respond well when he finally gets out there.  The video below makes me intrigued by Hack.

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Petty is starting to look McElroy bad to my under-educated eyes.

Petty maybe crap - my point wasn't about him being great. My point is that people who watch and think Savage is playing soooo much better by virtue of the fact that he did okay and scored 12 points on a team with a superior OL and D is a bit silly.

8 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

So...one thing changed and you think it was the 5 things that didn't change that were the problem?

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm hardly a football expert but maybe it's the protections that Fitz called as opposed to those Petty called?

Yep

Petty has no ability to make pre snap reads and shuffle his protection.  The guy is not good I don't know if Petty is even good enough to be a backup

18 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Were u watching the same game I was? Savage was awful in the first half and borderline competent in the second. They only won because the defense shut down Dalton the entire first half. 

Plus if savage was so good why did they spend 70 million on a Jag like osweiller???

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Were u watching the same game I was? Savage was awful in the first half and borderline competent in the second. They only won because the defense shut down Dalton the entire first half. 

Plus if savage was so good why did they spend 70 million on a Jag like osweiller???

They benched him!!!

Archived