Leonard Williams

DMan77

Williams tonight:

"Guys just weren't ready to play," Williams, the team's most promising star, told ESPN.com. "We didn't really play with a lot of passion, a lot of enthusiasm. It seemed like we were out there, going through the motions.

"Me, personally, I play hard every game. I know a lot of other guys on this team do, but some people are probably looking past the season, thinking that it's over and stuff like that."

Just looking for silver linings... But this guy starting to speak up could mean something for next year. The Jets are completely void of leadership in that lockeroom right now. They need a guy who plays hard every game and makes an impact... They need guys who can push the team when the coaches words aren't enough... He can lead by words and by example... It'll be year 3. Time for him to take the reigns. I think he can do it... I think he could end up being a really strong and vocal leader in that clubhouse.

13 minutes ago, hawk said:

cut everyone that is looking past this season.  everyone.  

I say find the start of it and kick that guy... This started somewhere and with someone, and he spread the attitude like a cancer... Figure out who first whispered "well im done trying" and cut it off there... Some guys are leaders, some guys are followers... All it takes is one of those so-called leaders to send the followers in the wrong direction... But those followers aren't hopeless. Their minds can be changed with the right narrative being thrown at them... That's what Big Cat can do.

9 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Williams tonight:

"Guys just weren't ready to play," Williams, the team's most promising star, told ESPN.com. "We didn't really play with a lot of passion, a lot of enthusiasm. It seemed like we were out there, going through the motions.

"Me, personally, I play hard every game. I know a lot of other guys on this team do, but some people are probably looking past the season, thinking that it's over and stuff like that."

Just looking for silver linings... But this guy starting to speak up could mean something for next year. The Jets are completely void of leadership in that lockeroom right now. They need a guy who plays hard every game and makes an impact... They need guys who can push the team when the coaches words aren't enough... He can lead by words and by example... It'll be year 3. Time for him to take the reigns. I think he can do it... I think he could end up being a really strong and vocal leader in that clubhouse.

I also expect Big Cat to live up to his nickname!  Let him be the Lion in that locker room.  Clearly we see his hard play every game, Jenkins, and Lee (Just needs improvement), and I like what I see from Burris at CB.  I am completely fine with going young as long as guys are playing hard like Williams is

9 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Is that for players or coaches, or do we cut fans too? LOL - sorry, just kidding, this team is very hard to watch.

I'd say when the fans start making millions of dollars a year, and not donating billions, then yes, cut them as well.  

9 hours ago, DMan77 said:

Williams tonight:

You know what the Jets need ? They need someone like Reggie White who not only would demand respect but would probably grab you by the throat and choke you to within an inch of your life if you pulled some of the sh*t this team has been getting away with.

Just Imagine a Reggie White and a Mike Singletary in their playing days dealing with this locker room

26 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You know what the Jets need ? They need someone like Reggie White who not only would demand respect but would probably grab you by the throat and choke you to within an inch of your life if you pulled some of the sh*t this team has been getting away with.

Just Imagine a Reggie White and a Mike Singletary in their playing days dealing with this locker room

Great point, the problem is there are none of these types of guys around anymore due to the amount of (guaranteed) money these a$$clowns make. The best thing would be the players having to actually produce to get paid. That is the way sports should be, not like a TV or movie actor. You win, you get paid, you lose, you are a failure and must improve your work ethic and job performance, and should you fail to put forth any effort (as this bunch has for the last 12 weeks), you get fired.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

^This X 1000

...this team is devoid of leadership. Bowles led us to believe through season 1 that he would be understated, yet hold players accountable. He seemed to to be that accountability factor we were looking for after Rex. 

Season 2 has revealed that Bowles, and the locker room, lack accountability for themselves and, more importantly, their long-suffering fans.

i would trade Sheldon and my entire draft for a HC that could bring me a team I could be proud of, be optimistic about the future for, and, perhaps above all else, hold themselves to standards of hard work and excellence. 

**** this team.

**** em all. 

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Have you ever heard of any locker room in any sport being indulged like this?  For the life of me. I don't recall any Yankees, Rangers, or Jets team I've been closely following prior in 35+ years of fandom acting like this.  Backstabbers, complainers, underperformers, day-dreamers, half-assers, quitters.

Whether Bowles is a good coach or not doesn't matter, he has got to go.  The word is a terribly overused cliche, but this locker room is the textbook definition of dysfunctional.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

i would trade Sheldon and my entire draft for a HC that could bring me a team I could be proud of, be optimistic about the future for, and, perhaps above all else, hold themselves to standards of hard work and excellence. 

**** this team.

**** em all.

/end thread.

SAR I

Can we talk a little about Leonard Williams' production?  I know he's the local great hope, but if we are being honest it's far from perfect...  After starting the season on a tear, his production has nosedived considerably over the past 11 games, registering only two sacks in that time frame, and both were coverage sacks and largely not of his doing.

That's pretty disappointing considering he is rarely doubled.  He seems to show up in the run game by pushing his player back and closing holes, but he struggles in pass rush, rarely shedding his blocker and of course he's not a speed rusher.

When he is doubled, they are able to push him around and several big runs were generated that way.  Like Richardson and Mo, he frequently bites on counters and misdirections and of course he has a tendency to gas late in halves.

dont get me wrong, he will be a pro bowl player for years to come, but let's not anoint him the next JJ Watt to soon either.  He needs to work on his pass rush moves.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Have you ever heard of any locker room in any sport being indulged like this?  For the life of me. I don't recall any Yankees, Rangers, or Jets team I've been closely following prior in 35+ years of fandom acting like this.  Backstabbers, complainers, underperformers, day-dreamers, half-assers, quitters.

Whether Bowles is a good coach or not doesn't matter, he has got to go.  The word is a terribly overused cliche, but this locker room is the textbook definition of dysfunctional.

SAR I

thank you... he has to go!

46 minutes ago, SOJ said:

thank you... he has to go!

I recall the Mets had issues like this when they had Brett Saberhagen and Vince Coleman back in the 80's. They wanted no part of playing baseball, and got into trouble with the law I recall.

Archived