Should Jets play Hackenberg in final game?

ejgiant

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone picture him playing well this week if he were to start? Doesn't it just fit that's he'd get crushed physically and perhaps then emotionally. At this late end I just don't see it benefiting the kid much and potentially hurting him

If one game crushes him emotionally then he's not the guy to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

No he doesn't. You go into the next season with the assumption he is not the answer. You know Fitz and Geno are gone, and you know Petty is not the answer either. The answer is in the first round of this draft, and Hack is the backup plan.

So you basically hold a roster spot for unknown talent?  We need to know if theres hope or not this season we carried 4 QB's and it didn't work out all that well. 

We may very well not have a decent QB on the roster he needs to play against the Bills playing Fitzpatrick is a waste of time. 

I truly hope that Hackenburg is not the type of player his biggest supporters say he is.  (One who's confidence will be destroyed if he is asked to play under bad conditions.)

People say they don;t want to start him too early  ala Sanchez, Sanchez failed because he was coddled from day one so when he actually had to do more with a poorer team he fell flat on his ass.

As for how to handle young qbs.  The playoff bound Oakland raiders carried 3 qbs on their roster all year long.  Connor cook was active for every game or so they said yesterday.  So even though he has not played. he has been part of the team, on the sidelines, learning what it is really like game day and actually thinking there is an outside chance he will play.

The jets strat is to keep this bubble wrap a guy who looks awful so far.

Did Mcc see all the Penn State games...like I did?  Didn't he see..that even with time in the pocket...without pressure...he was often awful?   

Mcc won't say it....but from what I've read and heard about Hack's first year as a Jet.....he has to be disappointed.  

4 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

Did Mcc see all the Penn State games...like I did?  Didn't he see..that even with time in the pocket...without pressure...he was often awful?   

Mcc won't say it....but from what I've read and heard about Hack's first year as a Jet.....he has to be disappointed.  

He probably discussed Hackenberg with Bill O'Brien when they were together in Houston.  He was the only GM to go to his workout so there must have been some talk. I don't mind taking him. It's where he took him that was the problem.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I guess what we're to assume is that the Jets think Hack is a legit NFL starter but he needs so much work that putting him in a game right now would either get him injured or so demoralized that he wouldn't be able to recover from it.

Give the guy snaps in practice this week (for once!) and let him start next week.  If he's getting overrun then put Fitz in there.  I mean if Hack is really that terrible that he can't get on the field then how can we expect him to be a QB for us down the road.

Considering that is exactly what happened to him at Penn State, not playing him may be the only smart thing the coaching staff has done. Much smarter than drafting him anyhow.

i don't think playing hack would destroy his confidence, he got the crap beat out of him at PSU and it doesn't seem to have rattled him.  He seems like a likable, confident kid.

the problem is that o-line.  i think one of the few things the jets did right this season was not throwing him to get killed like petty.  i think they're going to work with hack all offseason and i think the plan was always to have him compete for the starting job next year.  they really didn't want to play petty, he only played out of sheer desperation, and that line can't protect anyone.  

whether hack is good or not, they did the right thing by not playing him where half the guys aren't trying anyway.  the team needs a severe cleansing, let that occur, let new leaders emerge like jenkins, lee and williams on D, and who the heck knows on O, and then let hack play.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Absolutely. Let's see what he can do. We already know Fitz is below average and Petty is a giant ? so let's see what Hack can do. 

I guess it's happened occasionally that a terrible practice player...has risen to the occasion when thrust into the starter role.

Bowles and Mcc have already seen what Hack can do on the practice field...and that is why he is not allowed to wear a football uniform.   

You still want to roll the dice?   Whatever.  At this point....I don't care.  Thinking "Dumb and Dumber".   "So, you're telling me there's a chance?"

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I truly hope that Hackenburg is not the type of player his biggest supporters say he is.  (One who's confidence will be destroyed if he is asked to play under bad conditions.)

People say they don;t want to start him too early  ala Sanchez, Sanchez failed because he was coddled from day one so when he actually had to do more with a poorer team he fell flat on his ass.

As for how to handle young qbs.  The playoff bound Oakland raiders carried 3 qbs on their roster all year long.  Connor cook was active for every game or so they said yesterday.  So even though he has not played. he has been part of the team, on the sidelines, learning what it is really like game day and actually thinking there is an outside chance he will play.

The jets strat is to keep this bubble wrap a guy who looks awful so far.

Are you saying Hack was not with the team or on the sideline during games?

he was there every game with a earpiece in listing to all the play calls watching the defense and taking notes.  

I am not saying this is the correct way to handle a qb but to say what you did is just not true.  

Only difference between what cook did all year compared to Hack was he wore a uniform instead of Jets gear.  No other difference. 

I guess it's happened occasionally that a terrible practice player...has risen to the occasion when thrust into the starter role.
Bowles and Mcc have already seen what Hack can do on the practice field...and that is why he is not allowed to wear a football uniform.   
You still want to roll the dice?   Whatever.  At this point....I don't care.  Thinking "Dumb and Dumber".   "So, you're telling me there's a chance?"

.1% chance is still worth a look the season is over.
What's the worst that can happen?

4 hours ago, OH THE PAIN said:

If he doesn't play next week , then the whole coaching staff , including Mikey mac , should be FIRED . You don't draft someone in the second round to WATCH for a whole season . This isn't Pop Warner .

I tend to agree, unless the coaching staff knows how dysfunctional this team is and that Hack would just get crushed and embarrassed. If they know they will lose 42-3, they might as well let Fitz get embarrassed. If they have any hope that the offense could rebound, then there is no question they should go with Hack. 

In the post game, Bowles said that they thought about dressing Hack for the game but opted for another special teams player. That tells me that they are close to letting Hack play this week. But again, if they have an awful week of practice you may not want to expose Hack to that.

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

As far as I'm concerned he's all we got left at the QB position we have seen the best of Fitz,Geno and Petty and it isn't good. 

Lets see what Hack can do so we know going into the off season how to address the QB situation. 

Image result for hackenberg jets pics

You've see the best of Petty, in three games, with horrible OL, on a team that hung it up.  Not to mention he was unable to practice for 8 weeks.

OK

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

You've see the best of Petty, in three games, with horrible OL, on a team that hung it up.  Not to mention he was unable to practice for 8 weeks.

OK

Wait so Bryce Petty held back showing us his good QB skills. The OL does suck but they don't throw the ball or hold onto the ball too long.

Bryce Petty holds onto the ball way too long same mistake Geno Smith made Bryce Petty has terrible foot work Bryce Petty throws errant passes short or long. 

Tell me what positives you saw from Bryce Petty. 

Ive seen this same skill set from Brett Ratliff 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait so Bryce Petty held back showing us his good QB skills. The OL does suck but they don't throw the ball or hold onto the ball too long.

Bryce Petty holds onto the ball way too long same mistake Geno Smith made Bryce Petty has terrible foot work Bryce Petty throws errant passes short or long. 

Tell me what positives you saw from Bryce Petty. 

Ive seen this same skill set from Brett Ratliff 

smith had 29 games to show he sucked.

Petty has had 3

Petty certainly didn't light it up, but the positives he showed were,  He has come a long way from the guy who fell from the 1st round to the 4th at the Senior bowl, when he looked like he had never played under center, never been in a huddle, and hadn't used a play book.  He hadn't done any of that at that point.

He showed he has a very strong arm, and makes positive plays with his feet  when his protection broke down, which it did often.

He showed that he is an extremely tough guy.  Actually ran toward the LOS, instead of panicking and making a bad play a disaster play. 

Yep he held the ball to long, and often made mistakes in reading complex NFL coverage's.   If he's sitll doing that in 29 games, yeah I'll agree he's a bust.  To say that you have seen the best of him in 3 games is extremely  silly.   But then again......Don't knw what else I should have expected from you   :)

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Petty certainly didn't light it up, but the positives he showed were,  He has come a long way from the guy who fell from the 1st round to the 4th at the Senior bowl, when he looked like he had never played under center, never been in a huddle, and hadn't used a play book.  He hadn't done any of that at that point.

He showed he has a very strong arm, and makes positive plays with his feet  when his protection broke down, which it did often.

He showed that he is an extremely tough guy.  Actually ran toward the LOS, instead of panicking and making a bad play a disaster play. 

Yep he held the ball to long, and often made mistakes in reading complex NFL coverage's.   If he's sitll doing that in 29 games, yeah I'll agree he's a bust.  To say that you have seen the best of him in 3 games is extremely  silly.   But then again......Don't knw what else I should have expected from you   :)

Ok fair enough and without a personal attack....I agree to disagree on some of the points you made.

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

If one game crushes him emotionally then he's not the guy to begin with.

I knew someone was going to say that.

You don't think there have some guys with all the skills to succeed but they weren't in the right place/situation. Derek Carr for example. Naturally Hack's fall from consensus #1 overall prospect would affect his psyche. Then you sit him all year- finally put him behind 5 soon to be pizza delivery guys on the O-line. Let him throw a couple picks and lose a spleen on a Petty hit and then let that be the feeling he's left with for the next 6 months of the off-season. Maybe it wouldn't go that way- but maybe it would and that simply isn't worth any big "evaluation" pearls we'll green from this one late season meaningless start.

finish the redshirt, give him an off season of study and mechanics work and see you next spring.

6 hours ago, ejgiant said:

No question there are a lot of holes.  No question that Bowles leaves a lot to be desired. No question that the OL is bad.  But, Hackenberg should start the final game to maybe give the fans a slight glimmer of hope for the future.   If he bombs, they are no worse off then they already are right now!    Playing Fitzpatrick in the final game is a waste.   

What ? Come on bro he was a early 2nd rounder.. he needs 2 yr prep work ?

6 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Can't play a guy in the final game that hasn't taken a meaningful snap all season. This guy, along with Petty, Jace Amaro, McDougle etc are making Maccagnan look very bad. Then you have Hackenberg, a second round QB who has looked so bad that Petty actually looked good. Again, not good. I would say Mac needs to hit a home run in this offseason in the draft and free agency to save his job. Bowles, I think, is a goner.

I understand the Petty pick but how does Idziks picks of Amaro and McDougle make Mac look bad??

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I guess what we're to assume is that the Jets think Hack is a legit NFL starter but he needs so much work that putting him in a game right now would either get him injured or so demoralized that he wouldn't be able to recover from it.

Give the guy snaps in practice this week (for once!) and let him start next week.  If he's getting overrun then put Fitz in there.  I mean if Hack is really that terrible that he can't get on the field then how can we expect him to be a QB for us down the road.

We can't.  Hack was probably a lousy selection.  The Jets seemingly know this already, and aren't ready to admit it publicly.

When has there ever been a bad college QB that became a good one in the NFL?

I can't think of one.  Even Brady as a Michigan backup kept going in and playing good football.

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

We can't.  Hack was probably a lousy selection.  The Jets seemingly know this already, and aren't ready to admit it publicly.

When has there ever been a bad college QB that became a good one in the NFL?

I can't think of one.  Even Brady as a Michigan backup kept going in and playing good football.

If that's the case, then who cares if we give him a start this week?  The only reason to not start him would be if the Jets organization believes in him but thinks playing Sunday would hurt his growth as a player.  You might say "well he stinks so we should play Fitz".  But if Hack were named the starter (or Bowles said Hack would play at least a quarter or something) it would generate Jet fan interest in the game. 

7 hours ago, Xtina said:

No. let Fitz get killed behind this porous O line. Fitting end 

If not for self-loathing Jets Fans, they'red be no Jets Fans.  Fitz may suck, but this level of ill-will wishing is part and parcel of why Jets Fans are amongst the worst in the NFL.

On the topic....

Yes, Hack should dress, yes Hack should play.  

If Hack is so god damn fragile, of body or of mind or both, that a one-game-started poor experience and presumably a few INT's breaks him permanently, they he doesn't belong in the NFL.  Not now, not ever.

He should play, and we (fans) should give no sh*ts about how he looks nor start demanding he be cut or we trade up to #1 overall et. al.  But lets be honest, we know what this places reaction would be......good or bad, half this site would be calling for his head and a demand he be replaced that very day.  SOJF.

I'm half convinced Bowles/Macc is protecting Hack more from our own Fans than from opposing Defenses.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Maybe Hackenberg is really that bad and if he starts then Woody Johnson would see how bad he is and then fire Macc so Bowles might be protecting Macc's job and vice versa. 

Its a conspiracy against Woody Johnson. 

This is a very viable theory.

So you basically hold a roster spot for unknown talent?  We need to know if theres hope or not this season we carried 4 QB's and it didn't work out all that well. 
We may very well not have a decent QB on the roster he needs to play against the Bills playing Fitzpatrick is a waste of time. 

You completely misread my post. We don't have to play him to gain any type of information. Even if he plays great it's meaningless. Plenty of sh*tty QB's have one good game. In fact many do so in their first game because the D doesn't know what to gameplan for. Hack playing this game tells us nothing. I'm not saying he shouldn't play it, I'm saying it doesn't matter. We need to draft a top QB in this draft that can potentially start day one, and let Hack compete with him in camp.

50 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I don't understand how a second round pick is this bad he can't dress

Because Mac panicked and reached for a 7th round pick QB in  round 2 because loudmouth idiots in the media and his own staff wanted us to draft the stiff Paxton Lynch

How much you wanna bet dumbass Woody wanted Lynch?

Archived