Should Jets play Hackenberg in final game?

ejgiant

The OL is too far gone right now. Honestly would be worried he gets hurt on his first play for holding the ball too long like Petty was doing.

Other than QB as always, OL should be the #1, #2 and #3 thing on your list of things you hope the jets fix... An upgraded OL changes the total dynamic of this team... Then you can go give Petty or Hack a chance and see what they do with good to great protection.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Can't play a guy in the final game that hasn't taken a meaningful snap all season. This guy, along with Petty, Jace Amaro, McDougle etc are making Maccagnan look very bad. Then you have Hackenberg, a second round QB who has looked so bad that Petty actually looked good. Again, not good. I would say Mac needs to hit a home run in this offseason in the draft and free agency to save his job. Bowles, I think, is a goner.

Mac didn't draft them. Jeez.

I knew someone was going to say that.

You don't think there have some guys with all the skills to succeed but they weren't in the right place/situation. Derek Carr for example. Naturally Hack's fall from consensus #1 overall prospect would affect his psyche. Then you sit him all year- finally put him behind 5 soon to be pizza delivery guys on the O-line. Let him throw a couple picks and lose a spleen on a Petty hit and then let that be the feeling he's left with for the next 6 months of the off-season. Maybe it wouldn't go that way- but maybe it would and that simply isn't worth any big "evaluation" pearls we'll green from this one late season meaningless start.
finish the redshirt, give him an off season of study and mechanics work and see you next spring.

David Carr took a beating for 3 years straight. Even he was fine after one game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Okay, fine, what about Sheldon? You going to tell me that wasn't Mac's fault too? Don't forget wasting a first on Milliner. That guy isn't even on a team. Geez.. You guys always sticking up for Mac. :-)

You realize Mac wasn't the GM in 2013 right?

14 hours ago, ejgiant said:

No question there are a lot of holes.  No question that Bowles leaves a lot to be desired. No question that the OL is bad.  But, Hackenberg should start the final game to maybe give the fans a slight glimmer of hope for the future.   If he bombs, they are no worse off then they already are right now!    Playing Fitzpatrick in the final game is a waste.   

The OL has already gotten two QBs killed.  Imagine if Hack was seriously injured.  He wouldn't be able to work on his game during the offseason because he'd be rehabbing.  

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I truly hope that Hackenburg is not the type of player his biggest supporters say he is.  (One who's confidence will be destroyed if he is asked to play under bad conditions.)

People say they don;t want to start him too early  ala Sanchez, Sanchez failed because he was coddled from day one so when he actually had to do more with a poorer team he fell flat on his ass.

As for how to handle young qbs.  The playoff bound Oakland raiders carried 3 qbs on their roster all year long.  Connor cook was active for every game or so they said yesterday.  So even though he has not played. he has been part of the team, on the sidelines, learning what it is really like game day and actually thinking there is an outside chance he will play.

The jets strat is to keep this bubble wrap a guy who looks awful so far.

No, he failed because he sucks.  They couldn't trust him because he'd singlehandedly lose games.  The 2009 team was 9-7 only because of Sanchez.  They would have won more games with even mediocre QB play . . .

He probably discussed Hackenberg with Bill O'Brien when they were together in Houston.  He was the only GM to go to his workout so there must have been some talk. I don't mind taking him. It's where he took him that was the problem.

The conversation probably went like this:

Macc: So what do you think about Christian?

O'Brien: He's damaged goods. We're giving Brock Osweiler a giant bag of money instead.

Macc: Well I think he's secretly, good.

O'Brien: ..........

Macc: [sips coffee]

O'Brien: Good luck with that. [walks away]

On 12/25/2016 at 8:58 AM, Ex-Rex said:

Can't play a guy in the final game that hasn't taken a meaningful snap all season. This guy, along with Petty, Jace Amaro, McDougle etc are making Maccagnan look very bad. Then you have Hackenberg, a second round QB who has looked so bad that Petty actually looked good. Again, not good. I would say Mac needs to hit a home run in this offseason in the draft and free agency to save his job. Bowles, I think, is a goner.

huh? werent those guys drafted by Idzik?

i am kind of torn on the Hack thing...

on one hand watching Hack is literally the only reason to tune into the final game...

on the other hand, do you really want him to take a beating in week 17 playing with a team that's given up and go into the off-season on a low point?

for me its the curiosity factor...

is he as bad as he was in that preseason game where he went like a quarter without completing a pass to third stringers? or is he the guy who had that drive that ended with a TD to Robbie Anderson? either way i don't think we get the answer in one game with a bunch of checked out veterans. so i probably lean towards waiting...

that being said...this FO's reputation hinges on the Hack pick for me. if they draft a guy in round 2 and he doesn't get into a game prior to them moving on from him, its obvious they are clueless. Macc gets 1 more draft, but his picks will be telling.

I want him in there in the hopes of he has some success, even in a loss, that he can use as motivation this offseason.

But I get the point of view that says keep him off the field because bad things are happening to the boys in green all year long.

18 hours ago, DMan77 said:

The OL is too far gone right now. Honestly would be worried he gets hurt on his first play for holding the ball too long like Petty was doing.

Other than QB as always, OL should be the #1, #2 and #3 thing on your list of things you hope the jets fix... An upgraded OL changes the total dynamic of this team... Then you can go give Petty or Hack a chance and see what they do with good to great protection.

Pretty reasonable point. Same reason you don't douse a kid in pigs blood and throw him in the ocean for swim lessons.

12 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

No, he failed because he sucks.  They couldn't trust him because he'd singlehandedly lose games.  The 2009 team was 9-7 only because of Sanchez.  They would have won more games with even mediocre QB play . . .

sanchez just never grew into the position.  he stayed immature and still is.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The conversation probably went like this:

Macc: So what do you think about Christian?

O'Brien: He's damaged goods. We're giving Brock Osweiler a giant bag of money instead.

Macc: Well I think he's secretly, good.

O'Brien: ..........

Macc: [sips coffee]

O'Brien: Good luck with that. [walks away]

For the record, it was O'Brien who actually gave Macc a glowing review and said that he could potentially be "the guy".  I'm at work, but there is an article out there that discusses it.  Rumors in Houston at the time were that O'Brien wanted to actually draft him or one of the upper guys, but Rick Smith was dead set on getting Osweiler.

6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I want to see Hack out there because it will show just how clueless our FO is when it comes to the draft.

There was a posted article that said Hack couldn't make warm-up passes recently; no way should Hack see the field if that is even remotely true!!

And I was for drafting him as a steal say in the fourth round!!

21 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Okay, fine, what about Sheldon? You going to tell me that wasn't Mac's fault too? Don't forget wasting a first on Milliner. That guy isn't even on a team. Geez.. You guys always sticking up for Mac. :-)

Mac didn't draft them either. I am annoyed at Mac too. But your facts are wrong.

Archived