Hack reporter Rich Cimini advoctes keeping Bowles with inane reasoning.

Jetsbb

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65880/jets-coach-todd-bowles-is-reliving-the-old-pete-carroll-nightmare-sadly

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Carroll was an absolutely putrid coach in the 90s that deserved to get fired from both gigs. The man had to go coach college for a decade before he figured it out. If it's going to take 10 years for Bowles to learn the job, no thanks.

Yeah that comp is a bit shaky although it does suggest that the grass isn't always greener on the other side

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's right. Unless they get a guy like Harbaugh who can coach up young talent, there really is no impact by getting a new Head coach now, given the market right now.

And we will see if Woody has learned to avoid having the fans and media affect him

Kinda is the point though, no? We need a HC that can build a team and coach up young players. Bowles is simply not that guy

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The biggest problem with firing Bowles now, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out,  is that it probably buys Maccagnan at least 2-3 more years. Fire them both now or fire them both a year from now, but firing one now is dumb.

If Macc fails this coming draft, fire both of them next year. ALthough the development of Shell and Burris are promising.

Devils advocate here, keeping Bowltite here would send the wrong message to prospective candidates in that the owner only cares about $$ and does not give a crap about winning and / or putting a respectable product on the field.

This team is so far gone I do not see how Bowltite returns. Nobody here or anywhere can convince me otherwise. I have watched sports long enough to know when it is too far gone. This is past too far gone.

I have been saying this for the entire season, look deep inside your minds and ask yourselves what this guy does well as a HC. Name one thing his staff does or has done well enough to convince us that they will be able to turn this sinking ship around and turn it into a respectable winner. You might be searching for a very long time.

1 minute ago, ASH1962 said:

Devils advocate here, keeping Bowltite here would send the wrong message to prospective candidates in that the owner only cares about $$ and does not give a crap about winning and / or putting a respectable product on the field.

This team is so far gone I do not see how Bowltite returns. Nobody here or anywhere can convince me otherwise. I have watched sports long enough to know when it is too far gone. This is past too far gone.

I have been saying this for the entire season, look deep inside your minds and ask yourselves what this guy does well as a HC. Name one thing his staff does or has done well enough to convince us that they will be able to turn this sinking ship around and turn it into a respectable winner. You might be searching for a very long time.

I dont think HC's care about that. GMs might but not HC's. And I dont think this is about money. This is not becoming the Cleveland Browns revolving door of head coaches.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Ok then so it doesn't matter to you whether we win or lose as there will always be another season. 

This year the Cubs won the World Series and the city of Cleveland won a sports championship and Leicester City, who finished next to last the previous year, won the Premier League. The odds of sports suggest that the Jets will win eventually, unless of course, it's fixed.

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He's right. Unless they get a guy like Harbaugh who can coach up young talent, there really is no impact by getting a new Head coach now, given the market right now.

And we will see if Woody has learned to avoid having the fans and media affect him

No he's not. You've been licking Bowles garbage the entire year. I've called him out from the very first year as one of the most clueless coaches I've ever seen around even in a 10-6 season. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

No he's not. You've been licking Bowles garbage the entire year. I've called him out from the very first year as one of the most clueless coaches I've ever seen around even in a 10-6 season. 

Coach's job is to win games. Did well the first season (don't care how they came), sucked the second season. Third season will tell.

It has nothing to do with Bowles and the bad job he did this year. It has to do with being fair and, as Cimini said in a rare moment of logic for him, telling other candidates that they will get a fair chance here.

Mangini is a better comp. If Bowles loses to Buffalo, he will have the same record as Mangini after two years. Mangini stayed, so logically.....

The biggest problem with firing Bowles now, as @Sperm Edwards has pointed out,  is that it probably buys Maccagnan at least 2-3 more years. Fire them both now or fire them both a year from now, but firing one now is dumb.

Firing 3 GMs in 4 years Pretty much guarantees we will not have anyone competent at GM or coach for the next 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Carroll was an absolutely putrid coach in the 90s that deserved to get fired from both gigs. The man had to go coach college for a decade before he figured it out. If it's going to take 10 years for Bowles to learn the job, no thanks.

Yet he made the playoffs 2 of his 3 years with the Pats and yes he took over a Tuna team but BB took over and went 5-11 after Carroll left..

42 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This team needs addition by subtraction. Get rid of the underachievers like Revis, Pryor, Clady, Giacomini, Brandon Marshall, Fitz, Geno, Skrine, and hope to God Mac has a good draft and can get a decent veteran QB to come here. That would be a good start. It would also be nice if Christian Hackenberg is even halfway decent, but who knows. A second round choice should not be as far behind as this guy seems to be, so not optimistic.

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

And to fire a GM in less than 3 seasons is about as dumb as it gets.  

No matter how many fans think it's smart

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Firing 3 GMs in 4 years Pretty much guarantees we will not have anyone competent at GM or coach for the next 10 years.

I think this is an important point.  More important than doing well next season is for prospective coaches and GMs to think that this is a reasonable place for them to work.  If coaches and GMs are being fired every other year (especially new ones), good coaches and / or prospects won't want to come here.

And if he's as bad as he seems to be, we'll have a shot at the #1 pick in 2018...  :mellow:

Archived