Would YOU fire Bowles?

Sarge4Tide

You're the owner.....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fire Jets Coach Todd Bowles after the Buffalo game?

• YES
    • Don't Know / Undecided
    • NO

Just now, Smashmouth said:

I see your points but at this stage I think the demise of this team has been much more on the coach than the GM . I think it would be much easier to fire the HC at this stage than the GM I mean at least the GM addressed some needs not everything worked out but once again that could be due to terrible coaching. When I look at a coach who gets beat the same way over and over with no adjustment I can't excuse that. GM's can have a bad year here and there because you never know what your going to get when it comes to players.... coaches need to show something and Bowles showed absolutely nothing I mean how does Kacy Rogers still have a job ? Who is Bowles more loyal too a friend who obviously is in over his head or the NY Jets ?

Batting about .300 is a good in baseball. It stinks as an NFL GM.You don't need to convince me of the problems with Todd Bowles. I agree with you he's a trainwreck. The additional problem is Maccagnan isn't good himself. 

On the one hand, each is so bad he makes it hard for the other to look good. On the other hand, each can be rationalized as better than he looks because the other is so bad (that he's being held back by his counterpart).

They're both lousy, and they're both in way over their heads. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That and signing Jarvis Jenkins are his two blunders.

Everything else is hindsight, not questioned at the time by a majority of fans or media (Wilkerson, Fitzpatrick), or injury based

Also, other GMs have made mistakes, so in a way Maccagnan has never made any

36 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Everything else is hindsight, not questioned at the time by a majority of fans or media (Wilkerson,

Fitzpatrick

), or injury based

Not from lack of trying by some of us.

A GM has gotta know the mob can't run the team.  Especially here in NY, if the GM is swayed by media and fans, he's worthless.

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

In most cases I'd agree.  However you have to have some common sense here and allow for extremes.  Which is what we have here.

Bowles sucks.  On an extreme level.  This team, the one he leads, is an embarrassment to not only themselves and us fans, but the NFL, football as a whole, sports in general, and anyone who gets paid for working.

This team doesn't try.  He has lost them and has proven not to have any leadership qualities.  Without leadership, a coach has nothing.

Some say a QB HAS to be a leader.  Not true.  You'd like him to be, but it's not required.  Other teammates can lead.  A coach though has to be the unquestioned leader.  And obviously Bowles cannot lead.

Again, he seems like a nice guy, but he sucks as a coach.  No good comes from keeping him around now.

i think you're exaggerating a bit.  they have won 4 games and the play of a lot players has really fallen off from last year.  

people in the locker room, which includes woody and the GM know what kind of leader he is.  maybe he's terrible, but they seem to want to give him another shot.

6 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

On Sheldon's comments about Marshall he claimed that it shows he cares...

I actually agree with this.  Of course it could have been expressed better, but considering the problems this team has, I won't be overly critical.  Sheldon is young and immature but one hell of a player and gives more effort than just about anyone.  

I know it's not popular, but I hope he somehow stays and Wilk goes.  

3 minutes ago, loluchka80 said:

i think you're exaggerating a bit.  

Have ya watched the last few weeks?  Anyone who has paid any sort of money for tickets or merchandise should be allowed to walk up and just slap Bowles, Macc and Woody with no questions asked.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I actually agree with this.  Of course it could have been expressed better, but considering the problems this team has, I won't be overly critical.  Sheldon is young and immature but one hell of a player and gives more effort than just about anyone.  

That isn't happening. Sheldon is gone in the offseason.

54 minutes ago, loluchka80 said:

i don't like that analogy.  when you hire a new coach you expect some bumps early on you're not expecting returns in the first year or two.  obviously you look for things and improvements, and i know it looks really bad right now, but if the jets had gone 4-12 bowles' first year, then 10-6 this year and missed the playoffs no one would want him fired.  i just don't see how you can completely judge a coach and GM after only 2 seasons.  

Wrong, you expect progress and that is not what we have.  Last year everything - I mean everything - went right for the Jets until the bills game and you saw what the winning covered up, i.e., poor coaching, team not being prepared to play the most important game of the season, not playing the RB that was killing the other team, etc.  

THis HC, the CS and the players all regressed and that responsibility sits with the HC.  

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

That is one of the major problems with this team. Bowles allows his inmates to control the asylum. Do you see players calling each other out on the Pats, Packers, or other model franchises? NO. Bowles has no control (no pun intended). He should be fired. He wont be, but he should.

1 minute ago, SOJ said:

Wrong, you expect progress and that is not what we have.  Last year everything - I mean everything - went right for the Jets until the bills game and you saw what the winning covered up, i.e., poor coaching, team not being prepared to play the most important game of the season, not playing the RB that was killing the other team, etc.  

THis HC, the CS and the players all regressed and that responsibility sits with the HC.  

i don't disagree.  everything went right last year, and everything has gone wrong this year.  but i still think he should get 1 more year.

Just now, SOJ said:

Strength of schedule from the jump told me we would do worse but it's the fashion we lost in. We were blown out left and right. We got into the red zone far too many times and came away with NOTHING. These players quit by the time you could blink and instead of Bowles being the  disciplinary figure we needed, he got on the podium each post game and mumbled the opposite of what his players were being accused of. He needs to go.

3 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

That is one of the major problems with this team. Bowles allows his inmates to control the asylum. Do see players calling each other out on the Pats, Packers, or other model franchises? NO. Bowles has no control (no pun intended). He should be fired. He wont be, but he should.

I'll knock Bowles for plenty of reasons, but this isn't one of 'em.  I mean of course you don't hear players calling each other out on winning teams... because they're winning.  Wait until Brady retires.  It'll start in NE.

I'm glad there's in-fighting amongst the players.  It shows some heart.

If things were all quiet and nice as they are performing this bad, then I'd really be worried.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I'll knock Bowles for plenty of reasons, but this isn't one of 'em.  I mean of course you don't hear players calling each other out on winning teams... because they're winning.  Wait until Brady retires.  It'll start in NE.

I'm glad there's in-fighting amongst the players.  It shows some heart.

If things were all quiet and nice as they are performing this bad, then I'd really be worried.

I'm sorry but I disagree

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don't understand why...the snapchats..the sh*tty atttude..he's had problems with players in the locker room all year and he only has 1.5 sacks to show for it.

Simple.

It think Sheldon and Williams at DE is better than Wilkerson and Williams moving forward.  Better production on the field and honestly I think eventually it'd lead to better leadership as well.  I'd rather gamble with an immature player who is always red lining his engine vs Wilk who lolligags through games.

Sheldon can lead by example and will eventually mature.  Wilk is just flat out lazy.  Don't get me wrong, even being lazy, Wilk is still darn good, but not worth his deal unless he changes his work ethic somehow.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Simple.

It think Sheldon and Williams at DE is better than Wilkerson and Williams moving forward.  Better production on the field and honestly I think eventually it'd lead to better leadership as well.  I'd rather gamble with an immature player who is always red lining his engine vs Wilk who lolligags through games.

Sheldon can lead by example and will eventually mature.  Wilk is just flat out lazy.  Don't get me wrong, even being lazy, Wilk is still darn good, but not worth his deal unless he changes his work ethic somehow.

Okay I see your point here, because the D line DID get more done without Wilk..but how could you justify keeping him and then he fails a drug test ending his entire year? That's a bad look and even worse situation. You are basically putting your faith in him to not smoke pot and go on police chases lol. It's harder for a professional organization to put faith in that than it is for a fan to.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem is that the man who pays his salary is.

Isn't that always gonna be the case?  The owner is trying to make the most money and doesn't have football knowledge.  Not just for the Jets, but any team.

It's the GM that is supposed to make the decisions and put a good product on the field.  Even if it means lower profits for a season or two.  Just so long as it results in a better product down the road.  Hopefully resulting in higher profits for the owner and the GM keeps his job.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Okay I see your point here, because the D line DID get more done without Wilk..but how could you justify keeping him and then he fails a drug test ending his entire year? That's a bad look and even worse situation. You are basically putting your faith in him to not smoke pot and go on police chases lol. It's harder for a professional organization to put faith in that than it is for a fan to.

40 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

On Sheldon's comments about Marshall he claimed that it shows he cares...

On Leo's comments that the Jets were not ready to play, he disagreed and said they were ready, they just did not execute

Thanks I havent watched his pressers in months and see nothing has changed. 

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Isn't that always gonna be the case?  The owner is trying to make the most money and doesn't have football knowledge.  Not just for the Jets, but any team.

It's the GM that is supposed to make the decisions and put a good product on the field.  Even if it means lower profits for a season or two.  Just so long as it results in a better product down the road.  Hopefully resulting in higher profits for the owner and the GM keeps his job.

Yes if the owner butts out and doesn't meddle.

Not the case with Woody. He has meddled.

Keeping Rex after 4 years, Trading for Tebow, Firing Idzik after 2 years, Not hiring Doug Marrone

Now Jerry Jones has meddled too. The difference is that Jerry Jones actually has football experience. He has a clue about what he's doing. Woody does not have this knowledge

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Keeping Rex after 4 years, Trading for Tebow, Firing Idzik after 2 years, Not hiring Doug Marrone

Hopefully re-signing (and continuing to start) Fitz was also Woody's call.  Otherwise Macc and Bowles are clueless.  Woody wanting Fitz back could be chalked up to keeping the most fans happy ($$$).  Dumb?  Sure, but at least there's hope Macc and/or Bowles can still be successful if Woody just backs off.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hopefully re-signing (and continuing to start) Fitz was also Woody's call.  Otherwise Macc and Bowles are clueless.  Woody wanting Fitz back could be chalked up to keeping the most fans happy ($$$).  Dumb?  Sure, but at least there's hope Macc and/or Bowles can still be successful if Woody just backs off.

I think signing Fitz back at that price was Woody's call. Macc wanted Fitz back but only at $8m per.

And that is why Macc went for the competitive rebuild over the full rebuild. Because he knew that the fanbase and media wouldn't be patient and he would be gone in 2 years like Idzik was.

I'm pissed. The coaching has been god awful this year. And Bowles has without question lost control of the team.

With that said I think Bowles built enough capital from his first season to justify keeping him for a third season.

Get rid of the cancerous players, especially those drafted by Idzik (such as Richardson and Geno), bring in high-character guys, and see what happens. It can not overstated how important it is to have selfless, hard working players on your roster. 

1 minute ago, Saul Goodman said:

I'm pissed. The coaching has been god awful this year. And Bowles has without question lost control of the team.

With that said I think Bowles built enough capital from his first season to justify keeping him for a third season.

Get rid of the cancerous players, especially those drafted by Idzik (such as Richardson and Geno), bring in high-character guys, and see what happens. It can not overstated how important it is to have selfless, hard working players on your roster. 

Name one coach who had his players quit on him during a season and then had success with the same team afterwards.....

The team is going to be a talent-starved, cellar-dweller next year no matter who is coaching, so I would leave him in there. Then, when the 2017 season comes to an end, I can make an educated decision about both Bowles and Macagnan. Barring a miraculous turn of events, I fire both their sorry asses and bring on a new regime in 2018.

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The team is going to be a talent-starved, cellar-dweller next year no matter who is coaching, so I would leave him in there. Then, when the 2017 season comes to an end, I can make an educated decision about both Bowles and Macagnan. Barring a miraculous turn of events, I fire both their sorry asses and bring on a new regime in 2018.

Your words to this fanbase's ears

34 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Now Jerry Jones has meddled too. The difference is that Jerry Jones actually has football experience. He has a clue about what he's doing. Woody does not have this knowledge

There's a saying in medicine and anesthesia:

Good judgement comes from experience...and experience comes from bad judgement.

Jerry Jones seems to have accrued the 'good judgement'  based on the experiences of his past bad judgement.  Hopefully Woody can do the same?

Once again this is all about having a nincompoop for an owner who after making a statement about what is most important to him on the last day of September 2012, while being the owner of an NFL team(s) made up of mostly African American players it's no big stretch to understand why this team has gone 30-46 with NO playoff appearances. Now I know that it's a no-no subject on the boards but it has to a factor into the conversation.

Once again this is all about having a nincompoop for an owner who after making a statement about what is most important to him on the last day of September 2012, while being the owner of an NFL team(s) made up of mostly African American players it's no big stretch to understand why this team has gone 30-46 with NO playoff appearances. Now I know that it's a no-no subject on the boards but it has to a factor into the conversation.

No politics

Thanks

Archived