Would YOU fire Bowles?

Sarge4Tide

You're the owner.....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fire Jets Coach Todd Bowles after the Buffalo game?

• YES
    • Don't Know / Undecided
    • NO

I'm usually a more patient fan but I had to choose yes. I realize that this team severely lacks talent in key units but that has nothing to do with:

1) Knowing when to punt or go for it on 4th down. 

2) Knowing when to kick a FG vs going for a TD. 

3) Knowing when to kick a PAT vs going for 2. 

4) Knowing when to kick an onside kick vs. kicking deep. 

These are all times where good HC's show their stripes and I honestly can't think of one time this year where Todd impressed me with his decision. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The  near worst case scenario if we fired Todd Bowles is ending up with a season similar to the 2016 Jets, this current team coached by Todd Bowles.  There is not a lot of downside to firing him.  

We have no talent but not having heart/effort is inexcusable.

its also not easy for me to vote this way. I was looking for reasons to keep him as I hate the coaching carousel we have here.  I def want to keep MAC for another 3 years minimum.

I voted undecided. I think you keep Bowles and get blown out every f*cking game next season so both macc and bowles go then you hire one of the consulting agencies that advises on hiring a GM and let the new GM HIRE THE MOTHERF*CKING SNAKES ON A GOD DAMN PLANE COACH like every other non-sh*t team out there.

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

You are the owner of the Jets.  Would YOU fire Todd Bowles after the Buffalo game.  Not what you THINK will happen or what Woody SHOULD do, but if you were the owner what would you do?

I wanted to vote no, cuz I wanna fire him right now. In fact, I would've gone to the hospital and asked to use his health as an excuse to walk away from the franchise and save some face. 

I hate to say it since I'm all for stability, etc.  And I want adults running this thing, etc.  But this year has been a serious tire fire.  And the team, on several occasions, has appeared to quit.  I'd fire him, especially if we thought we could get someone with head coaching experience in here.

7 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

I'd hate to do it on the principle that he's only been here 2 years, but I believe I would.

And it ain't the losses in particular that I'd base my decision on, it's a myriad of other things most notably poor game management and lack of player progression especially on defense.  Going 2-14 next year might be great for getting a high draft pick but I fear the team culture would be even worse than this year (although arguably if you cut/trade the malcontents that might help) further hindering any hope of some players taking the next step in their NFL lives in a toxic environment.

It really bothers me that here in week 16 of a 17 week NFL season our secondary looks absolutely lost, constantly out of position and/or blown coverages.  It really bothers me that this team often comes out and is flat for the first half, and it seems not many half time adjustments are made or if they are, they're certainly not effective.  While the OL was relatively weak to start and is now absolute trash, this team is not so devoid of talent that they should be getting blown out week after week.

Another thing that bothers me concerns our team structure; i.e., not sure I would want Woody making this call...it should be made by a 'football man' who ideally would be much more involved in the day to day football operations and have a better feel for the team, what ails it, and how much of the blame gets assigned to Bowles.

But when you know something is not working, or 'wrong', sticking with it is never in the best long term of your team...even if you brought Bowles back, the players would know he's on very thin ice and would probably mutiny at the first sign of despair.

So to end this...yes I would fire him; but at the same time I'd restructure the front office with a Team President (or whatever title you want to call it) who would answer to Woody; the GM and HC would answer to the new guy in charge.

The number of years do not matter when the failure is this great and the flaws are this obvious, though.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Does Bowles deserve to be fired?

Of course.

Is it in the Jets' short term best interest to fire him?

Hard to imagine otherwise with the way things are looking right now.

Is it in the Jets' long term best interest to fire him now instead of next year?

No, because it likely buys the GM a minimum of 3 more years, and so far he's only slightly less incompetent than the HC. 

Bowles has to go because we can see the bad decisions the terrible game management and the complete misuse of players right in front of our eyes theres no denying that. Macc went out and got some players to fill holes and I do not think they were bad calls at all.

Matt Forte - 31 years old RB getting run into the ground with 30 touches a game while Powell was getting about 7. Dumb use of players. The lack of touches for Powell was disgusting and even if this team was winning and had a chance for the playoffs due to Forte he would never have been able to sustain the amount of carries he was getting and would have probably been worn out during playoff time.

Brandon Marshall - had a top five season last year and I think this year he was pretty beat up, can't blame Macc for that. Nor can you blame Macc for Decker going down. Macc has also brought in some promising young WR's via the draft when was the last time that happened ? 1997 ?

Mo Wilkerson- You and I both wanted to keep Snacks and get some picks for Wilk but it seems that Wilk did not hold the same trade value some here thought he did maybe we should not have been looking for more picks but in this case Macc did what a lot of Gm's would have done, he signed a guy who had 12 sacks and seemed to be the leader of the DL. Can't really argue that much and hindsight ...

Fitz regressed but everyone and their mother thought the Jets should sign him as our young QB's matured he played well last year but once again I feel he was grossly misused slinging the ball all over the field. Bad coaching ...Fitz should have been using a short passing game not throwing 20 yard sideline passes. At one point early in the season Fitz had the most throws in the NFL over 20 yards and that is ridiculous

It seemed Obvious Woody wanted Revis re- signed and Macc made it happen BUT I'm not buying the washed up Revis and the reason I'm not buying it is because at 31 you don't continue to put a guy on an Island with zero help going against younger faster WR's If Bowles was not so caught up in keeping safeties in the box and gave Revis some help up top maybe things look a lot different like maybe we double cover AJ Green one of the best WR's in the game and actually get off to a good start and beat the Bengals.

This team has some talent and is horribly coached in just about every single aspect of the game. This team, just like any other, needs a real coaching staff for once and I would bet the house if a guy like Jim Harbaugh walked in here next year this team with a few tweaks would contend for a Playoff spot. If Woody wants a winner hes going to have to sign a HC that's a winner and IMHO the only one out there that's a no brainer is Jim Harbaugh offer him 10 mil per and a say in personnel decisions and this team gains instant respectability. Any other route with a HC and its a pure crap shoot.

Hey WOODY you want to win ?? Put up the cash or STFU.

I hate this team. I'm in my mid-40s and THIS team is the saddest version of a Jets team I have ever seen. I have ZERO respect for 90% of the players that trot out there with the starters. 

This is a bunch of individuals collecting paychecks they don't deserve. Football is not a priority for them. Perhaps the saddest indicator of this team is that football does not seem like a priority for the most talented players on the team. 

The most talented players in this team have disrespected Bowles and they have disrespected the long-suffering fans. 

A small part of me is undecided because, as the owner, I would have burst into that locker room or put myself in front of the cameras and told the world that Sheldon Richardson, mo wilk, and quite a few others are the beiugest pieces of sh*t I've ever laid eyes on and they can be in the next train outta town... and the rest of the roster is on notice until I find players that give a sh*t. 

Maybe I'm not undecided. Maybe Bowles has to go because this culture of unaccountability continues. But, I believe Bowles gives a sh*t-I believe he truly truly cares. It would be with  great disappointment that I might HAVE to fire him, because the inmates ran the asylum. 

This sh*t might have rolled downhill and MUST stop at the HC, and sadly end with him being fired.

But i will NEVER hate this team, nor remember this team, by thinking of Todd Bowles. I will remember this team, and hate this team, by the pieces of sh*t wearing the uniform on Sundays. It's THEIR effort, it's THEIR lack unaccountability that will forever disgust me about 2016, not Todd Bowles.

6 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'm usually a more patient fan but I had to choose yes. I realize that this team severely lacks talent in key units but that has nothing to do with:

1) Knowing when to punt or go for it on 4th down. 

2) Knowing when to kick a FG vs going for a TD. 

3) Knowing when to kick a PAT vs going for 2. 

4) Knowing when to kick an onside kick vs. kicking deep. 

These are all times where good HC's show their stripes and I honestly can't think of one time this year where Todd impressed me with his decision. 

Knowing when or when not to use a red flag

I want to fire him, but I just don't see this as an attractive job quite yet.  I'm leaning towards letting him field an ultra gutted team then canning him over the bye next season.  CAP space plus a top 3 pick may allow us to land a more elite HCing candidate.  If he is fired after Sunday, I'm not going to complain.  

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Does Bowles deserve to be fired?

Of course.

Is it in the Jets' short term best interest to fire him?

Hard to imagine otherwise with the way things are looking right now.

Is it in the Jets' long term best interest to fire him now instead of next year?

No, because it likely buys the GM a minimum of 3 more years, and so far he's only slightly less incompetent than the HC. 

Here's the qualifier, though: we know that Richardson and Wilkerson are talented enough to be near-elite players in this league and they've looked like street free agents under Bowles, so the evidence would seem to suggest that Bowles and his staff aren't exactly getting the best out of the available talent. Hell, even Revis has looked like Don Boyd Odegard under Bowles. Maccagnan may well be a sh*tbag, but it's hard to tell right now.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles is Kotite-level awful. If I'm Woody, I go hire Parcells to run the organization, and then I'd become the Nitwit Ambassador to England for four years and help humiliate the country.

Kotite was lazy. I'm not getting that vibe from Bowels. Although it seems probable he's not very demanding of his assistants either.

i don't think anyone yet has enough information regarding bowles.  i'm a fan like everyone and listen to the talking heads and watch the games.  but that is only the public view.  there's certain to be a whole lot going on that we just aren't seeing.  i don't like the team's performance at all.  in particular the defense seems to always be out of position and just no making plays.  but i don't sense that the team stopped playing.  they just don't have the right tools.  and that's up to the coaches.  and even sheldon, who does have a big mouth and probably causes a lot of trouble in the locker room had 7 tackles agaist the patsies.  that's pretty good production.

I voted Yes. I was a huge supporter of Bowles and dont think you should fire a coach after two years but this team is lost. I hate to say it but I  look at the difference in the Dolphins and they always folded and gave up on Philbin. Gase has this team playing hard, fighting to the end and getting the most out of his players and keep winning in close games. 

This team needs a disciplinarian offensive minded coach who demands respect. I know options are probably limited but I don't see Harbaugh or a Gruden coming here and leaving the jobs they have know. I would look at Kyle Shanahan, not saying he is the guy and I don't want another first year head coach but are options might be limited. Todd Hailey comes to mind but Kyle has done well with his QB's and is rumored to be the preferred candidate for the LA Rams. 

Lol this board is a joke.  It's embarrassing to even come back here.  I can't wait for when Bowels is fired and then 2 years later he is bringing the Bears or whoever to the playoffs and all of you are crying about how keeping Bowels would have been better.  I love how people are licking Tanny's balls now.  It's same thing over and over again.  

Jets fans whine about losing out on Belichick but what I'm just now realizing is they would have been crying for him to be fired after the first season anyway.  We didn't deserve him.  So yea let's fire Bowels, bring in the next savior.  

Time to hand Bowles and his cadre of inept position coaches a box lunch and bus ticket out of town.  Bowles has made a ton of bad decisions over the the last two years.  But Saturday's decision to call timeout as NE was just running out the clock into halftime just drove me insane.  I think it showed he really has no understanding of what is happening on the field or a grasp as to the abilities and effort of his players.

Also, going for a field goal sown by 41 just to get the zero off the board is inexcusable.  Hate to say it, but we hired the wrong guy in Bowles.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Here's the qualifier, though: we know that Richardson and Wilkerson are talented enough to be near-elite players in this league and they've looked like street free agents under Bowles, so the evidence would seem to suggest that Bowles and his staff aren't exactly getting the best out of the available talent. Hell, even Revis has looked like Don Boyd Odegard under Bowles. Maccagnan may well be a sh*tbag, but it's hard to tell right now.

And @Smashmouth this is a reply to you as well. 

Keeping Mo and Richardson and Williams instead of parlaying at least one of them into a pick that plugs an actual hole - for 2 yrs and counting - is firable on its face. As was drafting a near-undraftable QB in round 2. As was pissing away 3-4 comp draft picks for non-elite 30-somethings for the "competitive rebuild" 2016 season. As was not locking up Snacks when he was only on a 1 yr $2m tag (with nothing yet saved up to date), and would have jumped at a raise to the $5m range on a multi-yr deal, which would have made him he highest paid 2-down NT in the NFL.

These and many other decisions were not just 20/20 hindsight critiques, nor are they bad moves merely because Bowles is an empty-headed doormat. Had he provided Bowles with decent & non has-been NFL starters at QB, LT, RT, CB, outside pass rusher, even the boob Bowles would look half competent.

MM simply hasn't made nearly enough good moves to offset his so many bad ones, independent of being saddled with Bowles. Because frankly, as horrible a HC as Bowles is, the uncomfortable truth is he's also been saddled with Maccagnan. The guy openly says he wants a speedy defense and his GM provides him a DL consisting of 5 DTs plus a sloth of an old ILB and no serious outside pass rusher. (Not to be outdone, Bowles drops one of the DTs to OLB-ILB, and continually drops his old sloth ILB into coverage no matter how many times it blows up in his face). 

Really, they're both terrible. They need to be fired together so a year or two from now Woody doesn't repeat history & tell MM-replacement interviewees they can't fire the Bowles-replacement HC for his first year (or two).

6 minutes ago, Jetlag said:

Lol this board is a joke.  It's embarrassing to even come back here.  I can't wait for when Bowels is fired and then 2 years later he is bringing the Bears or whoever to the playoffs and all of you are crying about how keeping Bowels would have been better.  I love how people are licking Tanny's balls now.  It's same thing over and over again.  

Jets fans whine about losing out on Belichick but what I'm just now realizing is they would have been crying for him to be fired after the first season anyway.  We didn't deserve him.  So yea let's fire Bowels, bring in the next savior.  

Well I suppose we don't really have to fire him.  

Perhaps just stop paying him.  Start using his office as storage.  And take back any office supplies.  Even his stapler.

Not sure he's really done anything to earn being officially fired.  Let him figure it out on his own 

Should do the same with $hitz too.  Start by taking away his helmet but let him continue to practice.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Well I suppose we don't really have to fire him.  

Perhaps just stop paying him.  Start using his office as storage.  And take back any office supplies.  Even his stapler.

Not sure he's really done anything to earn being officially fired.  Let him figure it out on his own 

Should do the same with $hitz too.  Start by taking away his helmet but let him continue to practice.

LOL!  "We just fixed the glitch..."

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Keeping Mo and Richardson and Williams instead of parlaying at least one of them into a pick that plugs an actual hole - for 2 yrs and counting - is firable on its face. As was drafting a near-undraftable QB in round 2. As was pissing away 3-4 comp draft picks for non-elite 30-somethings for the "competitive rebuild" 2016 season. As was not locking up Snacks when he was only on a 1 yr $2m tag (with nothing yet saved up to date), and would have jumped at a raise to the $5m range on a multi-yr deal, which would have made him he highest paid 2-down NT in the NFL.

These and many other decisions were not just 20/20 hindsight critiques, nor are they bad moves merely because Bowles is an empty-headed doormat. Had he provided Bowles with decent & non has-been NFL starters at QB, LT, RT, CB, outside pass rusher, even the boob Bowles would look half competent.

MM simply hasn't made nearly enough good moves to offset his so many bad ones, independent of being saddled with Bowles. Because frankly, as horrible a HC as Bowles is, the uncomfortable truth is he's also been saddled with Maccagnan. The guy openly says he wants a speedy defense and his GM provides him a DL consisting of 5 DTs plus a sloth of an old ILB and no serious outside pass rusher. (Not to be outdone, Bowles drops one of the DTs to OLB-ILB, and continually drops his old sloth ILB into coverage no matter how many times it blows up in his face). 

Really, they're both terrible. They need to be fired together so a year or two from now Woody doesn't repeat history & tell MM-replacement interviewees they can't fire the Bowles-replacement HC for his first year (or two).

Sold!

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I don't disagree with anything you say at all, we have no idea the conversation going on behind closed doors with Woodrow. If he is mandating win now, it would explain much of what is going on. 

Definitely all Woodys fault

We were much better off with Leon

And Holtz, Walton, Coslet and Kotite

Oh come on. Just because the Jets history sucks does not make Woody a good owner. It only makes him slightly better than Leon Hess, which is not hard to do.

When you have fans here fighting over why you do or don't fire a bad coach like Bowles simply because we didn't fire the likes of Mangini and Rex right away, it misses the point: our GMs and HCs have sucked since Parcells. All of them. And that's on Woody.

Hell, he didn't impress much last year either. The record looks good, but then you look at the fact that we got swept by the Bills, with poor decisions (like making Ridley "the game plan" Week 17) and not much stands out as being great moments for Bowles.

After going 10-6 the hope was that it was more than first year HC luck and that he'd become a good one. But at no time were people calling him a genius last year.

Archived