All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

Relax everyone, it's the QB situation more than anything. Anyone remember '02, when we were 1-3 and had a slow, aging defense and an offense that was going nowhere? In stepped our last franchise QB, Chad Pennington, and everything seemed to improve. Even our d suddenly got better. Chad's career was a tragedy, because he was an incredibly talented QB, I don't care what anyone says. Just look at our records during seasons when he was healthy.

i know it's easier said than done, but when we find our next franchise QB, we're going to be doing well again.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, Jetster said:

I can't stand Todd Bowles & this coaching staff but we have to keep him as cannon fodder in 2017. The Jets are such a mess right now that no coach (no good proven coach) will want this job. It's amazing to me that we went from having 12 draft picks in 2014 to this. 

The only way I wouldn't keep Bowles is if the Redskins screw up the Cousins signing & we stole him. Obviously a dream scenario but if it happened I'd fire Bowles & go with Kyle Shanahan in a NY minute. Then my alarm clock would wake me up to the realization that our QBs are Petty & Hack.

To me this is loser thinking....

If they can Bowles without any other changes, you're correct...gonna be a hard sell to get someone of significance.  But that's not the only way to do things...

If Coughlin is 'interviewing' in Buffalo, why not 'interview' him here...not necessarily for HC (though I wouldn't mind it at all), but see what he wants.  Does he only want to be a HC on the sidelines?  How about President of Football operations here? 

What this team needs is credibility...Parcells gave it some when he was here (not assessing his performance, just his 'effect' on the franchise is all)....Coughlin in a senior position would lend some credibility as a stabilizing force to attract talent on the coaching side.

Thoughts?

On 12/26/2016 at 11:06 AM, Jetster said:

24 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

If they can Bowles without any other changes, you're correct...gonna be a hard sell to get someone of significance.  But that's not the only way to do things...

If Coughlin is 'interviewing' in Buffalo, why not 'interview' him here...not necessarily for HC (though I wouldn't mind it at all), but see what he wants.  Does he only want to be a HC on the sidelines?  How about President of Football operations here? 

What this team needs is credibility...Parcells gave it some when he was here (not assessing his performance, just his 'effect' on the franchise is all)....Coughlin in a senior position would lend some credibility as a stabilizing force to attract talent on the coaching side.

Thoughts?

Brilliant.  Pay him like a HC, but he can be Director of Football Opertions and still live in Jax half the time.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

It's only a pipe dream but I'd love to bring Payton Manning in and  give his the keys to the franchise; total control.  We missed out on him as a QB and wouldn't it be great to have a second shot at him as the GM/HC.  

It would be intriguing but how about as OC first?

On 12/26/2016 at 11:14 AM, joewilly12 said:

The fact that Woody Johnson has basically gone into hiding tells me he's getting ready for Black Monday and there will be major changes here. 

We could be looking for a GM and a head coach. 

He's not in hiding. He's getting ready to become an ambassador and doesn't want a scandal with the all the waste his team dumps in jersey every Sunday.

6 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's not in hiding. He's getting ready to become an ambassador and doesn't want a scandal with the all the waste his team dumps in jersey every Sunday.

Making a comment about the HC or the general play of the team is NOT a scandal. However, this teams performance this year IS a scandal or at the very least, theft.

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Thoughts?

Fully agreed about bringing in Coughlin in some capacity.  I'd love for him to be President of Football Operations.  Heck, even if he wanted to coach for a couple of years and then move to that role I'd be more than fine with it.  Coughlin is a winner/legend/HOFer.

On 12/26/2016 at 0:31 PM, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Mr rumors and no facts back again with the same boring opinions we have all heard from him hundreds of times every week

Why are you always attacking joewilly12? Put him on ignore 

Joewilly dont takw the bait

23 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Bills looking to get the jump on Coughlin

Bills likely to hire Lynn permanently, because big name coach prospects don't want to work with Doug Whaley.

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci reports "every indication from within One Bills Drive" is that Buffalo has settled on promoting OC Anthony Lynn to head coach in 2017.

According to Carucci, the Bills aren't going to get serious outside interest in the head-coaching post because prospective "big-name" candidates don't want to work with GM Doug Whaley. As the leader of the "search," Whaley's job appears secure, and he will maintain control of the 53-man roster. That won't fly with guys like Josh McDaniels, Jon Gruden, Tom Coughlin, and any other "name" candidate. McDaniels allegedly has interest, but he wants control of the roster. Lynn would be getting his first coaching opportunity, so he'd be in no position to make those demands. He's the heavy favorite in the clubhouse for the full-time gig.

On 2016-12-26 at 0:14 PM, joewilly12 said:

The fact that Woody Johnson has basically gone into hiding tells me he's getting ready for Black Monday and there will be major changes here. 

We could be looking for a GM and a head coach. 

I don't think Mac goes anywhere....A because he shouldn't, but B I think the PR nightmare would be terrible for Woody.  Firing his 2nd GM after two years, and also after this was a GM hand-picked by the consulting team Woody hired?

Bowles....touch and go.  But I think he gets one more year. 

On 12/26/2016 at 0:06 PM, Jetster said:

I can't stand Todd Bowles & this coaching staff but we have to keep him as cannon fodder in 2017. The Jets are such a mess right now that no coach (no good proven coach) will want this job. It's amazing to me that we went from having 12 draft picks in 2014 to this. 

The only way I wouldn't keep Bowles is if the Redskins screw up the Cousins signing & we stole him. Obviously a dream scenario but if it happened I'd fire Bowles & go with Kyle Shanahan in a NY minute. Then my alarm clock would wake me up to the realization that our QBs are Petty & Hack.

Petty actually showed signs of being a decent play action QB. This would align with Shannahan's offense quite well. Might not be as terrible as you think.

5 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I don't think Mac goes anywhere....A because he shouldn't, but B I think the PR nightmare would be terrible for Woody.  Firing his 2nd GM after two years, and also after this was a GM hand-picked by the consulting team Woody hired?

Bowles....touch and go.  But I think he gets one more year. 

Mac shouldn't be fired. Not every move has been perfect, but he's done more good than bad here. Bowles on the other hand, I don't care if he gets fired. Looking back on his hiring, I think Woody was in a staring contest with ATL over Dan Quinn, and Woody blinked first because the media was painting a picture that the Jets would miss out on Quinn, Bowles and had just sh*t all over the Jets for being connected to Doug Marrone. 

What I'm basically saying is that Woody hired Casserly/Wolf, but ultimately deferred to the perception created by the media as they trolled Jet fans with worst case scenarios.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Mac shouldn't be fired. Not every move has been perfect, but he's done more good than bad here. Bowles on the other hand, I don't care if he gets fired. Looking back on his hiring, I think Woody was in a staring contest with ATL over Dan Quinn, and Woody blinked first because the media was painting a picture that the Jets would miss out on Quinn, Bowles and had just sh*t all over the Jets for being connected to Doug Marrone. 

What I'm basically saying is that Woody hired Casserly/Wolf, but ultimately deferred to the perception created by the media as they trolled Jet fans with worst case scenarios.

I was looking back at this recently and originally Woody wanted Doug Marrone but then Manish Mehta wrote scathing unfounded bullsh*t articles about Marrone that seemed to turn him off from the prospect and scared Woody away.  Then it came down to Bowles and Quinn and we couldn't talk to Quinn due to the SB run and Bowles was heading to Atlanta for his 2nd interview.  We jumped ahead of the 2nd Atlanta interview like a day or 2 after signing Macc and got Bowles in for the 2nd interview where Macc met him.  I think Woody had no choice but to go for Bowles over Quinn b/c when you really think about it.  Was Quinn really ever going to come here when the options to weigh was 1. Go to NY where they have no QB, in a division with the Pats which makes it incredibly hard to win a division title and an aging presence on the roster.  or. 2. Go to Atlanta where they have a franchise QB, a dome and an easier division to win.  I think it was obvious that Bowles was the only choice at the time, we just didn't have anything to offer Quinn over Atlanta.

I would be open to bringing Marrone in for HC honestly.  I liked what he was doing in Buffalo before he opted out due to the ownership change, kind of like what happened with us and Belicheck. 

6 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I was looking back at this recently and originally Woody wanted Doug Marrone but then Manish Mehta wrote scathing unfounded bullsh*t articles about Marrone that seemed to turn him off from the prospect and scared Woody away.  Then it came down to Bowles and Quinn and we couldn't talk to Quinn due to the SB run and Bowles was heading to Atlanta for his 2nd interview.  We jumped ahead of the 2nd Atlanta interview like a day or 2 after signing Macc and got Bowles in for the 2nd interview where Macc met him.  I think Woody had no choice but to go for Bowles over Quinn b/c when you really think about it.  Was Quinn really ever going to come here when the options to weigh was 1. Go to NY where they have no QB, in a division with the Pats which makes it incredibly hard to win a division title and an aging presence on the roster.  or. 2. Go to Atlanta where they have a franchise QB, a dome and an easier division to win.  I think it was obvious that Bowles was the only choice at the time, we just didn't have anything to offer Quinn over Atlanta.

I would be open to bringing Marrone in for HC honestly.  I liked what he was doing in Buffalo before he opted out due to the ownership change, kind of like what happened with us and Belicheck. 

I'd be surprised if Jacksonville doesn't try, and lock up Marrone if Coughlin doesn't work out.

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Mike McCoy is a stud of an OC.   Jets should sign him up ASAFP.   

what has anthony lynn done to be the "it" name in coaching candidates?  

Odds are McCoy will be in high demand as an OC, if not a HC.  Odds are also very good that Bowles and his entire CS will be booted next year.  I'd go some where else if I was Mc Coy

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Odds are McCoy will be in high demand as an OC, if not a HC.  Odds are also very good that Bowles and his entire CS will be booted next year.  I'd go some where else if I was Mc Coy

2 things in the Jets favor: 

1 - cash is king and there is no salary cap on coaching or assistant coach salaries 

2 - if he can get Hackenburg onto the field and successful then he can write his ticket anywhere he wants as an NFL HC.   he has to land somewhere, why not here.  

Archived