All Coaching Rumors here please..

NYJ37/12

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Maybe because he said he wasn't interested or because nobody asked him . Why do we have to know before we know ?

I want answers!!!

I'm an impatient fan and proud of it!!! :) 

In truth I am really fascinated by the choice since I didn't think Chan did a bad a job.  Indeed the next OC will have real pressure on him, so I am interested in the pick!

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why haven't we heard more coaching rumors?  Because there is no one in the local NYC media
that has any connection to the league.  Therefore we won't hear anything on a regular basis.
We heard about Clint Hurtt (OLB coach) from Alex Marvez.  It's pathetic how these "beat
reporters" can cover the team for years and break no credible news, everything is second
or third hand

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I want answers!!!

I'm an impatient fan and proud of it!!! :) 

In truth I am really fascinated by the choice since I didn't think Chan did a bad a job.  Indeed the next OC will have real pressure on him, so I am interested in the pick!

JMO..The lack of use of a TE by Gailey played into his "retirement" and for all we know some other differences...Case in point see below. Here's a team that went to the playoffs and had "issues"...

Perhaps Jets were one of the teams interested in Downing..

Despite their offensive success, Del Rio took a few opportunities to take some veiled shots at Musgrave’s offense. He openly questioned how running back Latavius Murray could’ve had just five carries in the Week 17 loss to the Broncos and also criticized the lack of “big boy ball” in a Dec. 8 loss at Kansas City. He acknowledged wanting to take a time out in that game to overrule a third-and-1 pass play call but wanted to preserve the opportunities to stop the clock late in that game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/10/raiders-reportedly-moving-on-from-bill-musgrave-keeping-ken-norton-jr/

Per Rapoport, Musgrave was at the end of a two-year contract and the Raiders are allowing it to expire. Quarterbacks coach Todd Downing, who came to Oakland in 2015 after stints with the Lions and Bills, is believed to be a potential successor in house, Rapoport added. Several teams with vacancies expressed interest in him for offensive coordinator, per Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772568/article/raiders-oc-bill-musgrave-not-expected-to-return

Vic CarucciVerified account ‏@viccarucci 12 hours ago

#Bills are zeroed in on Sean McDermott as their next HC. Could have something finalized in the next day or so.

There could be some competition for Mike McCoy, as reports link the former Chargers coach to Buffalo coordinator job

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/report-sean-mcdermott-wants-to-bring-mike-mccoy-with-him-as-oc/

15 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Ok I just saw Payton signed a 5 year extension. F everybody 

Payton is starting to wander into the territory of a guy like Fisher became.  3 straight 7-9 seasons but as with a lot of other coaches, the thing that saves him?  He has a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Why haven't we heard more coaching rumors?  Because there is no one in the local NYC media
that has any connection to the league.  Therefore we won't hear anything on a regular basis.
We heard about Clint Hurtt (OLB coach) from Alex Marvez.  It's pathetic how these "beat
reporters" can cover the team for years and break no credible news, everything is second
or third hand

To be fair, it's probably like that in every market at this point. Schefter and Rapiport break 90% of the meaningful stuff while everyone else fights for the crumbs.

Well the other side of waiting till head coaches are hired and perhaps the end of the season is that all of a sudden we are going to have several more teams looking for staff and will have more competition for an oc.   In any case I'm not overly worried about the OC, we have no QB at all and he is going to get lambasted no matter what.

Callahan had his play calling duties stripped in Dallas.  Sure they put up some points, but that team is stacked and Linehan has been calling the plays.  The running game has not seemed to suffer without him.

Payton spends all day rolling.  The Post would have pictures of him asleep on a toilet with a member of the Flight Crew by week 3.

I think the Jets are in an interesting spot here with their OC search.

Unlike an HC search, an existing assistant needs his team's permission to interview for a coordinator job.  That being said, slavery has been outlawed, so I think team's tend to grant it for assistants who are getting real promotions if there is not opportunity for them on their current team.  In DeFellipo's case, either the Eagles thought Reich could end up an HC, and thus wanted DeF ( I gave up) to interview for OC, or DeF did not want the Jets job (suspected, and possible).

Thus, if they are waiting for other teams to finish their playoff runs, I don't know what they are really waiting for.

Let's see how this goes.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

JMO..The lack of use of a TE by Gailey played into his "retirement" and for all we know some other differences...Case in point see below. Here's a team that went to the playoffs and had "issues"...

Perhaps Jets were one of the teams interested in Downing..

Despite their offensive success, Del Rio took a few opportunities to take some veiled shots at Musgrave’s offense. He openly questioned how running back Latavius Murray could’ve had just five carries in the Week 17 loss to the Broncos and also criticized the lack of “big boy ball” in a Dec. 8 loss at Kansas City. He acknowledged wanting to take a time out in that game to overrule a third-and-1 pass play call but wanted to preserve the opportunities to stop the clock late in that game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/10/raiders-reportedly-moving-on-from-bill-musgrave-keeping-ken-norton-jr/

Per Rapoport, Musgrave was at the end of a two-year contract and the Raiders are allowing it to expire. Quarterbacks coach Todd Downing, who came to Oakland in 2015 after stints with the Lions and Bills, is believed to be a potential successor in house, Rapoport added. Several teams with vacancies expressed interest in him for offensive coordinator, per Rapoport.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000772568/article/raiders-oc-bill-musgrave-not-expected-to-return

C Mart

i understand the article and it is true that Gailey underutilized the TE but.....and this is a big but......which TE currently on the Jets staff was held back by Gailey?

i would argue none.

I think that our unskilled TEs forced Gailey to be creative and use Q in positions and downs that would have called for focus on a TE. 

It is as if the Jets are punishing Gailey for the weakness of the Jets personnel that he would routinely and skillfully work around. As numerous film break out showed out here, Gailey consistently was scheming folks open often for would be scores and Fitz just blew it.  

Indeed Fitz poor play which was according to many outside observers historically bad made teams sit on BM and Q and since Fitz would rarely look to his third option the Jets were cooked.  Teams would then stack the box against a debilitated OL as the season wore on force the Jets to pass especially in the red zone.

Does anyone honestly think that if say Gronk were on the Jets Gailey wouldn't target and use him?

That is just silly talk.   

Do I think that Gailey was perfect? No I do not !!

For one I think that Gailey failed to figure out a way to get Powell and Forte on the field at the same time. I think that he neeed to spread the defense out. But then again I am not in Jets practices and he may have tried that and it wouldn't work there so why unveil it in a game? So I don't know.  Also as far as I am concerned Gailey was also to predictable in part on first and second downs but again that was a direct result as I stated above do in part to Fitz' play.  

And with the Jets i didn't understand how you could have young players in Hack and Petty and then now have to learn a new system when they are still developing.  Stability inbthe learning process is critical.  

And didn't the Jets realize that Gailey didn't use the TE in his first season when the Jets were setting all kinds of Jets records?

So I am very interested in who they bring in here.  Is that person going to make our OL effective and our TEs catch passes ?

Hmmmm we shall see  

Again I want to see who they are going to bring in, since they have IMO, despite Gailey's obvious flaws, let go of the best and most effective OC we have had in here in say twenty years!!

48 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets are in an interesting spot here with their OC search.

Unlike an HC search, an existing assistant needs his team's permission to interview for a coordinator job.  That being said, slavery has been outlawed, so I think team's tend to grant it for assistants who are getting real promotions if there is not opportunity for them on their current team.  In DeFellipo's case, either the Eagles thought Reich could end up an HC, and thus wanted DeF ( I gave up) to interview for OC, or DeF did not want the Jets job (suspected, and possible).

Thus, if they are waiting for other teams to finish their playoff runs, I don't know what they are really waiting for.

Let's see how this goes.

I thought this was interesting, so I went looking for QB coaches on playoff teams  with tenure and I came across an interesting name .

Pittsburg Steelers QBs coach Randy Fichtner ; The guy has an interesting bio, is from Cleveland  which is where a certain QB prospect in this draft is from and has ties to Bruce Arians . 

http://www.steelers.com/team/coaches/randy-fichtner/c64ecfa5-8eb5-479f-b7d7-d0564ba28dec

34 minutes ago, KRL said:

Here's one and as usual it's from a national reporter:

Jets getting a very good coach in Dennard Wilson. Former Rams assistant coach joining Todd Bowles staff

What exactly makes him "a very good coach?"

Not asking that to be a jerk. I just never heard of him. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

What exactly makes him "a very good coach?"

Not asking that to be a jerk. I just never heard of him. 

Well with the Rams from 2011-2015, he helped develop Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson at CB. 

That seems to be a common thread between Hurtt and Wilson. Ability to help develop young players

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Callahan had his play calling duties stripped in Dallas.  Sure they put up some points, but that team is stacked and Linehan has been calling the plays.  The running game has not seemed to suffer without him.

Payton spends all day rolling.  The Post would have pictures of him asleep on a toilet with a member of the Flight Crew by week 3.

If you recall Sean Payton also had his play calling duties stripped by Parcells at one time.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 6 minutes ago

Could be a big day in the coaching world today - Rams honing in on Sean McVay, Broncos on Vance Joseph, Bills on Sean McDermott

McVay is the OC of the Redskins and if hired would be the youngest HC in NFL history, beating Lane Kiffin.

Joseph is the DC of the Dolphins.

McDermott is the DC of the Panthers. He looks like a lock to go to Buffalo

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Well with the Rams from 2011-2015, he helped develop Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson at CB. 

That seems to be a common thread between Hurtt and Wilson. Ability to help develop young players

Basically, the first job requirement for all position coaches, and something we have been sorely missing.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you recall Sean Payton also had his play calling duties stripped by Parcells at one time.

If you read my post, I not too fond of the idea of Payton either.  What that fat underbellied **** did  is of little concern to me, but it certainly is not a positive on the guys resume. Callahan has coached some stacked teams.  He has not spent a ton of time calling plays.  He is an offensive line coach.  There is no shame in that, but I am not looking to give him playcalling duties with the Jets.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

If #Bills hire of Sean McDermott is done by today, as it should be, expect his biggest target for OC to be former #Chargers coach Mike McCoy

Charley Casserly ‏@CharleyCasserly

@RapSheet Mike McCoy will have to start making some decisions now that Head Coaches will start getting hired

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you read my post, I not too fond of the idea of Payton either.  What that fat underbellied **** did  is of little concern to me, but it certainly is not a positive on the guys resume. Callahan has coached some stacked teams.  He has not spent a ton of time calling plays.  He is an offensive line coach.  There is no shame in that, but I am not looking to give him playcalling duties with the Jets.

He was the oc for the Raiders whom had a lot of success under him.  We can do worse, in any case I doubt very much if he will be the guy.

Just now, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3h3 hours ago

If #Bills hire of Sean McDermott is done by today, as it should be, expect his biggest target for OC to be former #Chargers coach Mike McCoy

Charley Casserly ‏@CharleyCasserly 2m2 minutes ago

@RapSheet Mike McCoy will have to start making some decisions now that Head Coaches will start getting hired

If I were McCoy, I would go to Denver. Jets don't have a QB right now and the Bills may lose their QB

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

All I want to know about Callahan as an offensive play caller is this . When Jon Gruden took over as the HC of Tampa and played the Raiders in the SB, that joker didn't even bother to change the plays Gruden used as the Raiders HC and got blown out in the SB . The Bucs acted like they knew exactly what the Raiders were going to run and ran the routes for the receivers .

No thanks .

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Charley Casserly ‏@CharleyCasserly

Keep it coming guys, you're doing an awesome job .  

Archived