The Sheldon Richardson dilemma....

Beerfish

The Jets are in a very tough spot with this guy.  No one can deny he has talent and makes plays at times but overall he has been an underachiever like the rest of this team.

What do we do with him?  I can't stand his attitude and want him off the team unfortunately he continues to sewer his value with each passing week.  Our front office sees him as a an asset we need to get at least reasonable value for but we won't be getting that at this point in time.

Furthermore if we get rid of him for cheap we are going to look very bad doing so next year.  Next yer is play for a big contract so this guy, taking his Que from MoWilk will have a huge year on the field imo, he may be a dumb ass but I think he will behave for next year to get the big contract.  After that his character will show and he will become a dog.

If his value is as low as we think now the thinking would be hold on to him and at least get a comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.  The problem is that in the meantime the guy and his cancerous attitude is in the locker room for another full year, possibly influencing the younger players on the team.

It's a somewhat tough call, due to his talent... but in my opinion, the attitudes of Sheldon & Revis have played a huge role in our underachieving defense. I'd lump Calvin Pryor's attitude in as well.

I don't see any way he can stay a part of this organization if we want to succeed going forward. Poisonous personalities in the locker room ruin seasons and they'll ruin the young guys if you let it hang around long enough.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets are in a very tough spot with this guy.  No one can deny he has talent and makes plays at times but overall he has been an underachiever like the rest of this team.

What do we do with him?  I can't stand his attitude and want him off the team unfortunately he continues to sewer his value with each passing week.  Our front office sees him as a an asset we need to get at least reasonable value for but we won't be getting that at this point in time.

Furthermore if we get rid of him for cheap we are going to look very bad doing so next year.  Next yer is play for a big contract so this guy, taking his Que from MoWilk will have a huge year on the field imo, he may be a dumb ass but I think he will behave for next year to get the big contract.  After that his character will show and he will become a dog.

If his value is as low as we think now the thinking would be hold on to him and at least get a comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.  The problem is that in the meantime the guy and his cancerous attitude is in the locker room for another full year, possibly influencing the younger players on the team.

It's very tough... Outside of his play this year there's the issue of what he does to a club house... Guy seems like a legit cancer in there right now... But you know what, teams have played and won with cancers before. It's about having a good enough locker room to tell guys like that to shut the hell up and play.

So yes, it's a huge fear that they get rid of this guy and we cite his attitude and his play, then he ends up somewhere else with a team and a coaching staff that know how to discipline guys, and he thrives. I can absolutely see that happening... That's why they really need to think about if they want to move him or not... You get a 2nd round pick, fine, you can at least say it was worth the chance... But if they let this guy go for like a 4th rounder, I think that would be a mistake.

The guy does have talent. We just don't have anyone to light a fire under him or tell him to grow up. In a lot of ways I would rather keep him and hope he matures instead of kicking him out and watching him turn into a better man and player on another team.

I actually worry about this kind of thing with other guys too... I sort of picture Geno Smith walking next year, and either winning a spot out of training camp or taking over for an injured starter on another team, and playing better than whoever the Jets trot out there.

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It's a somewhat tough call, due to his talent... but in my opinion, the attitudes of Sheldon & Revis have played a huge role in our underachieving defense. I'd lump Calvin Pryor's attitude in as well.

I don't see any way he can stay a part of this organization if we want to succeed going forward. Poisonous personalities in the locker room ruin seasons and they'll ruin the young guys if you let it hang around long enough.

I agree with you but if we do ship him out cheap be ready for the 1001 posts on this site next year when he becomes a pro bowler for the team he goes to.  Simply because it is play for a contract year.  I am convinced he will be a dog after next year once he is paid but next year he will be really  good.

There wouldn't be a dilemma if the Jets offloaded him for a 3rd or a 4th before the deadline, like they should have.  Like I stated many times.

I believe there is better than a 50/50 chance that Sheldumb gets himself suspended for the entire 2017 season in the off-season.  Chasing hoes, smoking bowls, driving 150 mph, etc.

And the Jets will get nothing...

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

There wouldn't be a dilemma if the Jets offloaded him for a 3rd or a 4th before the deadline, like they should have.  Like I stated many times.

I believe there is better than a 50/50 chance that Sheldumb gets himself suspended for the entire 2017 season in the off-season.  And the Jets will get nothing...

That could happen but I don't think so, not next year.  He is a dumbass but not a total dumbass imo he will have a huge year next year imo and the jets will get killed for dumping him for pennies on the dollar.  the moment he gets paid however he will turn into a dog and get suspended as you suggest.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The right head coach and coaching staff could turn this all around Sheldon Richardson is a top DL in the NFL this season he's a product of the environment and thats what also sours his attitude. 

Winning fixes everything losing brings out the worst in players. 

Sheldon,Mo and Williams what DC wouldn't want those problems. 

Trading him for a "what if" draft pick isn't the answer this team has busted on way too many draft picks Sheldon is a sure thing proven NFL superstar player. 

I think a more of locker room diversion was the 3 amigos backing the QB in the off season. 

Sheldon Richardson shouldn't be traded or released. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

The right head coach and coaching staff could turn this all around Sheldon Richardson is a top DL in the NFL this season he's a product of the environment and thats what also sours his attitude. 

Trading him for a "what if" draft pick isn't the answer this team has busted on way too many draft picks Sheldon is a sure thing proven NFL superstar player. 

I think a more of locker room diversion was the 3 amigos backing the QB in the off season. 

**** off.

The Jets need to get whatever they can get and move on.   If it's a 6th rd pick it's a 6th.   Anything is better than cutting him but if they can't get anything in return then you simply release him.    Mo's contract nets him 1 more year.   if '17 mimics '16 then mo gets released next off-season as well.   

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

The Jets need to get whatever they can get and move on.   If it's a 6th rd pick it's a 6th.   Anything is better than cutting him but if they can't get anything in return then you simply release him.    Mo's contract nets him 1 more year.   if '17 mimics '16 then mo gets released next off-season as well.   

A 6th is probably about market price now.  Maybe a 5th.

Macc effed up... the 1st or 2nd he was asking was balked at by other teams, and justifiably so.  He could have gotten a 3rd or 4th and he blew it.

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That could happen but I don't think so, not next year.  He is a dumbass but not a total dumbass imo he will have a huge year next year imo and the jets will get killed for dumping him for pennies on the dollar.  the moment he gets paid however he will turn into a dog and get suspended as you suggest.

Still better than Wilkerson though.  Both would be making big money while not being worth it, but at least Sheldon would do us the favor of being suspended.  It'd give us the open roster spot.

Mo will just stick around chillin' and taking it easy on the dline.

23 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Hyper-talented players like Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson make me miss low-talent, lunch-pale guys like Rick Lyle and Ernie Logan.

The Jets must draft a guy like Richie Anderson.  Not a FB, but a man like him.

So JW

You think the head coach and coaching staff should be fired?

Shocking News Flash!!!

4 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

So JW

You think the head coach and coaching staff should be fired?

Shocking News Flash!!!

What do you think of the Sheldon Richardson situation NOPSL?  

Would like to hear some of your opinions instead of sitting and waiting like an attack dog for me to post to make mockery of my posts. 

Standing by awaiting your answer. 

Hurry because you are going on IGNORE.

Oh no...I've upset Mr Thinskin.

Like most here, Joey boy, I really don't give a crap what your opinions are and, based on posts, you have only ONE that you've repeated 4000 times.

As for your threat please go ahead and do it. As a Jet fan, I would be greatly honored to be on the ignore list of you, Maine Coon Cat, PatsfanTX and any other fans of the Cheaters as would a large number of other serious Jet fans here

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

IMO, Sheldon is not only overrated, he's become a major locker room headache. If you can get a 4th or better for him, take it and run.

He is also ONE PUFF AWAY from  a year suspension.  Get rid of him NOW before it is too late.

Yes he is talented.  That is why we should get a 3rd RD pick

Just End The Season.

18 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

He is also ONE PUFF AWAY from  a year suspension.  Get rid of him NOW before it is too late.

Yes he is talented.  That is why we should get a 3rd RD pick

Just End The Season.

With his off field stupidity, locker room antics and lack of production, I'm just afraid other teams don't even view him as worth a 4th rounder.

On 12/26/2016 at 2:44 PM, RoadFan said:

A 6th is probably about market price now.  Maybe a 5th.

Macc effed up... the 1st or 2nd he was asking was balked at by other teams, and justifiably so.  He could have gotten a 3rd or 4th and he blew it.

Link?

I love the idea of trading Sheldon to Dallas for Ron Leary. Dallas can't pay all of their Olineman. I have no idea if Jerry Jones even wants Richardson but I'd rather get a plug & play proven player then take a chance on a 3rd round draft pick. 

That move in combination with a trade back could really help us fill some holes.

Does Sheldon Richardson expect to be traded?

Though he wants to return to the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2013, Richardson fully expects to be dealt this offseason.

“Yeah,” he told Newsday as he left the locker room, possibly for the last time. “I mean, eventually it’s going to be happening, so why wait?”

The Jets unsuccessfully tried to trade him before the Nov. 1 deadline, but Richardson believes it’s only a matter of time before general manager Mike Maccagnan gets a deal done. “I think so,” said the 2013 defensive rookie of the year and 2014 Pro Bowler. “I caused a few problems for myself in here. They might just be tired of me, who knows?”

In addition to serving two separate suspensions during the past two years (stemming from a failed drug test and a 2015 offseason arrest), Richardson made headlines in 2016 for all the wrong reasons. He got into a verbal altercation with Brandon Marshall in Week 3, posted a public, profanity-filled video on Snapchat and last week said he doesn’t respect Marshall as a player. Richardson’s statistical production (1 1⁄2 sacks, 70 tackles) also is down from previous years. 

The 26-year-old said he wouldn’t have carried himself any differently this season, though, adding: “I don’t think I should handle anything different than the way I handled it. I don’t regret nothing, really. I’m just going to be me.”

HAPRK7WS_normal.jpg Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)
Richardson: “I caused a few problems for myself in here. They might just be tired of me, who knows?” #jets newsday.com/sports/footbal…

Archived