Jet QBs in the Last 10 Years

The_Butt_Fumble

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

sanchez never matured.  from the hot dog incident to his tryst with eva longoria he just didn't understand the position he was placed in.  but he did have some talent and played well in the playoffs.  imagine if he didn't get hurt at the end of preseason in 2013.  geno took that team to 8-8. sanchez might've gotten two more wins.

I just think Sanchez wasn't particularly good.  I never understood why "the hot dog incident" was such a big deal.  And I don't care about him dating Eva Longoria either.  If you're saying he wasn't focused on what he needed to be focused on then that's one thing.  But I do think he was a hard worker and cared about doing well.  IMO, it wasn't lack of effort or focus.  I think he just wasn't good enough.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still don't get the Pennington love on this forum.  The guy made a career throwing 2 yard dump offs.  Touchdown drives were 13 play marathons.  I know he was a tad better pre-injuries but injuries are part of the game.  Plus even pre-injury he was still over-rated.  At his best he was an okay QB, but one who was very limited. 

He wasn't even that good a guy either btw.  What an honor it was for reporters to watch him throw 2 yard passes!  I bet half of the reporters had a stronger arm than Chad.

5C036AF3-1AF4-408D-8C82-ED0D4C6C7993_zps

Same here, I feel the exact same way, I threw a party when he became a Miami Dolphin. 

Chad, like Rex, figured out a way to extend his career in New York two or three years longer than it should've been.  Rex became a media darling, Chad never threw any interceptions.  He has one of the highest completion percentages in NFL history, which sounds great on paper, he must lead the NFL in taking sacks because it's exactly what he did. 

SAR I

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just think Sanchez wasn't particularly good.  I never understood why "the hot dog incident" was such a big deal.  And I don't care about him dating Eva Longoria either.  If you're saying he wasn't focused on what he needed to be focused on then that's one thing.  But I do think he was a hard worker and cared about doing well.  IMO, it wasn't lack of effort or focus.  I think he just wasn't good enough.

We will never know if Mark Sanchez had the potential to be better than he showed, that's the problem.

We know the types of wide receivers he had in 2009 and 2010, free agents with barely a little bit of meat left on the bones.   We know what happened to Shone Green and the running game after LaDainian Tomlinson retired.  We know we had a head coach that only cared about the defense. We know that Tony Sparano was amongst the worst offensive coordinators in NFL history.

No Jets quarterback never looked this good in his first two years on the field. No Jets quarterback was ever this neglected after showing such promise on the field. That's the tragedy. 

SAR I

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

The biggest part of Sanchez' downfall was the removal of his primary weapons after 2010. Jets released Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Thomas Jones, Alan Fanaca and brought in Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason and made Shonn Greene the primary ball carrier. That is a negative on all sides. Plus they had Wayne Hunter and Vlad Ducasse on the o-line and they were revolving doors. If Jets had kept the guys they let go things may have been different.

Exactly right.

And could there be a worse combination of coaches for a young quarterback in league history than Rex Ryan and Tony Sparano? 

Mark Sanchez did some remarkable things for a 22-year-old. His performance in the playoffs, his performance in come from behind games, his poise in December and January, these are all traits we would kill for in a quarterback prospect right now. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

We will never know if Mark Sanchez had the potential to be better than he showed, that's the problem.

We know the types of wide receivers he had in 2009 and 2010, free agents with barely a little bit of meat left on the bones.   We know what happened to Shone Green and the running game after LaDainian Tomlinson retired.  We know we had a head coach that only cared about the defense. We know that Tony Sparano was amongst the worst offensive coordinators in NFL history.

No Jets quarterback never looked this good in his first two years on the field. No Jets quarterback was ever this neglected after showing such promise on the field. That's the tragedy. 

SAR I

Fwiw, I was very happy at the time that the Jets traded up for Sanchez.  And I defended him through those 1st 2 seasons as well (several friends - including a Jet fan friend - said he was a bum).  One thing I remember liking about him was the way he would slide around in the pocket to avoid the rush.  And while he didn't put up great stats in his rookie season, in the playoffs he made some key plays (the TD pass in SD and he played his overall best game as a Jet in Indy the next week). 

I also agree with you that he was neglected.  The WRs he was given were a joke and Tony Sparano was awful.  But year 3 when the Jets took the training wheels off (albeit w/ terrible weapons) he didn't step up.  It's possible that killed his confidence and he was never the same.  However, if he were really a good QB I would think he would've showed SOMETHING in the years after.  How did he not win the Denver job this year for example?

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

We will never know if Geno Smith had the potential to be better than he showed, that's the problem.

We know the types of wide receivers he had in 2013 and 2014, nobodies without any little bit of meat left on the bones.   We all saw the decline in production from from Shone Green to Chris Ivory & lolChris Johnson.  We know we had a head coach that only cared about the defense and was imploding in front of us. We know that Marty Mornhinweg was amongst the worst offensive coordinators in NFL history when in New York.

No Jets quarterback ever had so little talent around him in his first two years on the field. No Jets quarterback was ever this neglected from the moment he arrived in New York. That's the tragedy. 

SAR I's Logic About the Failure Sanchez Applied Equally to the Failure Geno Smith

14 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Loved Pennington.  It was ashame he had the arm issues.  He had the most fire of any guy on the team.  I'll still never forget his first game playing and he was head butting guys.

Yeah well Sanchez got his share of Butt with his head too..;)

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Yeah, I remember him leading a comeback against the Pats. He was rushed out of the pocket scrambled in hit 2nd round bust Hill in the hands for a first down - only to have him drop it. I can't remember if that was the butt fumble game or not, but damn I thought we were going to pull out the upset in that game - heart breaking...

11 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Why is it so difficult for some Jets fans to admit Sanchez played well in both playoff runs? I dont get it.

He did do well in the playoffs.  He just sucked horribly in the regular season.

He was literally carried bodily TO those playoff games by the rest of his team.  

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He did do well in the playoffs.  He just sucked horribly in the regular season.

He was literally carried bodily TO those playoff games by the rest of his team.  

Maybe in 09' but not 10'. Like Sar has already pointed out, he won many games in the 4th qtr that year. Had Rex's vaunted D not s hit the bed in Pittsburgh we would have another Lombardi.

Just now, NYJ37/12 said:

Maybe in 09' but not 10'. Like Sar has already pointed out, he won many games in the 4th qtr that year. Had Rex's vaunted not s hit the bed in Pittsburgh we would have another Lombardi.

As big a fantasy as the "if Geno only had a fair chance, with weapons, he'd have been an All-Pro".

Jets Fans, living in fantasy worlds since 1969.

30 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Why is it so difficult for some Jets fans to admit Sanchez played well in both playoff runs? I dont get it.

Sanchez played very well in the playoffs.  His problem was inconsistency during regular season

And I thought Denver made a big mistake cutting him and going with Siemian/Lynch and turns out it probably cost their season

Sanchez was an All-Pro for Philly, Denver, and Dallas. Oh wait.

'How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.'

-Uncle Rico

What boggles my mind to this day is what Sanchez could have been if he was nutured by a coach like Norv Turner for example. This to me, was Rex's and Tanny's biggest mistake for after moving up to take him, you would have thought they would have made his progression more of a priority. Instead, they held their breath, and hoped for the best by replacing good players with a bunch of has-beens, scrubs, and god awful coaches.

Yes, he was so frustrating to watch when he'd throw that ill- timed interception, but it was baptism by fire for him. That was a front office thinking that he was ready to play from the get go. He truly wasn't. Like all other young QB's, they need time.

Here's a question to you all,would Sanchez had become a better QB if he was given the time like Petty an Hack? I'm sure he wonders that himself.

If only Chad hadn't got hurt, he'd be Montana!

If only Sanchez had Norv turner, he's be A super Star!

If only Geno had some WR's and a "fair chance", he's be HOF'er!

There comes a point where you have to live in the real world my friends.  

In the real world there are challenges.  Our QB's failed to overcome them.

Because not a one of them was a legitimate Franchise QB. 

9 hours ago, darook said:

Damn I miss Chad as well, but there is a very common theme with that list: either the QB's are backups or are starters with no arm strength. Chad, Sanchez, Fitz all noodle arms. Favre had a good arm until he had that injury and couldn't throw a 15 yard out.

In the northeast, you have to have a strong arm. Let's hope that our decision makers finally get this. 

Sanchez was far from a noodle arm. Inaccurate at times yes but far from a noodle arm.

9 hours ago, gEYno said:

Yeah, remember how he Joe Montana upped that 2002 Raiders playoff game!

Yup.....

Also remember him ripping Peyton Manning apart 41-0 the week before. Smacking Brett Favre and the Packers silly the week before that, and taking down Tom Brady in Foxboro the week before that.

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

Yup.....

Also remember him ripping Peyton Manning apart 41-0 the week before. Smacking Brett Favre and the Packers silly the week before that, and taking down Tom Brady in Foxboro the week before that.

I wonder how many other "Next Joe Montana's" there have been throughout history if making the playoffs and winning in round one decisively and then losing decisively in round two is the metric?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If only Chad hadn't got hurt, he'd be Montana!

If only Sanchez had Norv turner, he's be A super Star!

If only Geno had some WR's and a "fair chance", he's be HOF'er!

There comes a point where you have to live in the real world my friends.  

In the real world there are challenges.  Our QB's failed to overcome them.

Because not a one of them was a legitimate Franchise QB. 

But this reality makes me sad, so I choose an alternative one!

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I wonder how many other "Next Joe Montana's" there have been throughout history if making the playoffs and winning in round one decisively and then losing decisively in round two is the metric?

I know Geno Smith would never know that answer

20 hours ago, August said:

He was along for the ride in those years. I wouldn't say "he took us to back to back AFC Championship Games. 

He made some massive plays in those years. He had his bad moments as a rookie, but he played really well in the playoffs for the most part. 

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I still don't get the Pennington love on this forum.  The guy made a career throwing 2 yard dump offs.  Touchdown drives were 13 play marathons.  I know he was a tad better pre-injuries but injuries are part of the game.  Plus even pre-injury he was still over-rated.  At his best he was an okay QB, but one who was very limited. 

He wasn't even that good a guy either btw.  What an honor it was for reporters to watch him throw 2 yard passes!  I bet half of the reporters had a stronger arm than Chad.

So you think 13-play drives should be discouraged? I like the dink and dunk passing game, as do Manning, Brady, and just about every great QB of the last 50 years. Hell, Brady's favorite concept is snag. He often throws 3 yard completions.

Just now, PCP63 said:

So you think 13-play drives should be discouraged? I like the dink and dunk passing game, as do Manning, Brady, and just about every great QB of the last 50 years. Hell, Brady's favorite concept is snag. He often throws 3 yard completions.

I have zero issue with 13 play drives as long as my QB has the arm to be a threat for a quick score (which keeps the defense honest). 

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have zero issue with 13 play drives as long as my QB has the arm to be a threat for a quick score (which keeps the defense honest). 

Most teams try to lock down the checkdown and deep game. At all levels of football. The key is the in between game, where Manning particularly excelled with the levels concept.

1 minute ago, PCP63 said:

Most teams try to lock down the checkdown and deep game. At all levels of football. The key is the in between game, where Manning particularly excelled with the levels concept.

And where Chad's arm got exposed (especially sideline passes).

Archived