Jet QBs in the Last 10 Years

The_Butt_Fumble

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The fans LOATHED Sanchez back then.  He would've had to overcome some serious fan hatred.  I think he would've struggled mightily. 

The fans that loathed Sanchez in 2012 were insane.  You'd think after waiting 40 years for a quarterback to remotely look like a potential franchise guy they'd have shown the proper perspective and a bit of patience.

SAR I

14 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Than you must not have watched the games mark Sanchez played his best football down a few points and with two minutes left on the clock. A good hand full of the games those years we were down by 3 or 6 and he led us down for a last minute touchdown.

Bingo.

I encourage anyone subscribing to the "defense carried Sanchez" myth to watch the 2010 games against Houston, @Denver, @Cleveland, @Detroit, and @Pittsburgh.  You know, games where our defense put us in a position to lose late in the 4th quarter and only Mark Sanchez' heroics turned a 6-10 disaster into a memorable 11-5 season.

Fourth quarter comebacks, check.
Played well on the road, check.
Rose to the level of his opponent, check.
Not afraid of the bright lights in the big city, check.
Success in the playoffs, check.

Boy, sure glad we ran that bum out of town at age 26.

SAR I

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I was very happy at the time that the Jets traded up for Sanchez.  And I defended him through those 1st 2 seasons as well (several friends - including a Jet fan friend - said he was a bum).  One thing I remember liking about him was the way he would slide around in the pocket to avoid the rush.  And while he didn't put up great stats in his rookie season, in the playoffs he made some key plays (the TD pass in SD and he played his overall best game as a Jet in Indy the next week). 

I also agree with you that he was neglected.  The WRs he was given were a joke and Tony Sparano was awful.  But year 3 when the Jets took the training wheels off (albeit w/ terrible weapons) he didn't step up.  It's possible that killed his confidence and he was never the same.  However, if he were really a good QB I would think he would've showed SOMETHING in the years after.  How did he not win the Denver job this year for example?

Mark's confidence was wrecked by the flirtation with Peyton Manning, the signing of Tim Tebow, the addition of John Idzik.

Mark's throwing shoulder was wrecked by Rex Ryan.

If you draw a line from his rookie year in 2009, to the sophomore comebacks in 2010, to sitting at 8-5 against the Eagles in 2011, the trajectory was solid, he was flashing very nicely for such a young kid in a high-pressure city with a moron for a head coach, a floundering rushing attack, and a bunch of fly-by-night receivers.

SAR I

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

SAR I's Logic About the Failure Sanchez Applied Equally to the Failure Geno Smith

Nice try, but the body of work of Mark Sanchez entering Year 4 vs. Geno Smith entering Year 4 are night and day, I mean, I really don't need to type up one resume vs. the other, do I?

What Mark showed as a starter dwarfed anything Geno showed as a starter, it's embarrassing having to even type that sentence.

SAR I

8 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Why is it so difficult for some Jets fans to admit Sanchez played well in both playoff runs? I dont get it.

And the answer is:  Rex Ryan Love.

Those who fell for Rex Ryan's Jedi Mind Tricks subscribed to the theory that our defense was perfect and it was the offense that caused all of our ills.  And if one looks very closely, they were almost right in 2009, they were 75% wrong in 2010, and they were 100% wrong by 2011 and beyond. 

Just like in real life, Mark Sanchez became discussion forum scapegoat for the real problem-  the inability to deliver a "you take one of mine I'll take two of yours" defense and a "ground and pound all-weather rushing attack".  The two doctrines of Rex Ryan fell to pieces by December 2011 and so it became "blame the quarterback!" until all the pundits and all the posters believed their own rhetoric.

Did Mark Sanchez become an interception machine?  You bet.  Why?  Because the defense couldn't stop a cold, the RB's couldn't hit a hole, we were down by 2 scores every first quarter, we had to throw the ball all over the place playing catchup.  Chaz Schillenz, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates?  Right.  Air Coryell meets The Three Stooges.  The question isn't whether or not Mark Sanchez regressed; the question was why did he regress and the answer is quite obvious.

SAR I

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

He did do well in the playoffs.  He just sucked horribly in the regular season.

He was literally carried bodily TO those playoff games by the rest of his team.  

In 2009 as a snot-nosed 22 year college senior thrust into Brett Favre's shoes in the biggest metropolis on Earth, maybe.

In 2010 as a 2-game playoff winner and a seasoned veteran, no way.

And either way, it does not diminish the fact that he was the best draft prospect we'd put on the field since Joe Namath nor does it excuse the team for failing to help develop him into the franchise quarterback we've been yearning for. 

SAR I

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

As big a fantasy as the "if Geno only had a fair chance, with weapons, he'd have been an All-Pro".

Jets Fans, living in fantasy worlds since 1969.

Geno showed nothing in his first 2 seasons, Sanchez showed tremendously in his first 2 seasons, therefore there is no correlation between the two.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"Can't Wait!"

Turns out, they could.  They thought beating New England was the Super Bowl.  Didn't even get off the bus.

SAR I

Sanchez turning the ball over and Schotty calling WR reverse plays with slow Jerricho Cotchery helped

Rex was the best HC we had since Parcells, statistically he might be better... Sorry 

8 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Sanchez was an All-Pro for Philly, Denver, and Dallas. Oh wait.

We are not talking about Sanchez post-Sporano, post-Tebow, post-Injury.

There was a moment in the 2011/2012 offseason where better decisions at RB, WR, and OC might have continued the 23 year old's trajectory upwards and instead caused it to crash and burn in chaos.  And from those mind-f*cks to the injury to being cut, Mark lost whatever he had and it didn't come back.  As we well know, a franchise quarterback is not just about ability, it's about confidence and it's about education and the Jets did everything they could to take that away from the kid.  It's no surprise he's no good now, what should haunt every Jets fan is what might have been back on January 11, 2012 before the Sporano hiring and the subsequent dominoes that caused.

SAR I

7 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Yup.....

Also remember him ripping Peyton Manning apart 41-0 the week before. Smacking Brett Favre and the Packers silly the week before that, and taking down Tom Brady in Foxboro the week before that.

I attended all those games, Penny sucked after his first taste of postseason road pressure and his first injury. 

Finding a playoff-ready quarterback who elevates his game on the biggest stages is what separates a good quarterback from a great quarterback.

Pop Quiz:  Who is the greatest post-season quarterback in New York Jets history?  Here, I'll give you a hint:

M _ _ K  S _ _ _ _ _ Z

SAR I

2 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Chad was not garbage.  He was a real QB before his injury. 

Problem is, he got injured in August 2003 and he lasted until January 2008. 

He wasted 5 years of the best offensive line in team history, with a Hall of Fame running back in his prime.  Criminal.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nice try, but the body of work of Mark Sanchez entering Year 4 vs. Geno Smith entering Year 4 are night and day, I mean, I really don't need to type up one resume vs. the other, do I?

What Mark showed as a starter dwarfed anything Geno showed as a starter, it's embarrassing having to even type that sentence.

SAR I

Here is all the resume for the two that matter:

1. Sanchez, carried by a talented team around him, sucked horribly in the regular season, only showed anything in the postseason.  Has done piss all after leaving us.

2. Geno, showed flashes on occasion (New Orleans game), but generally sucked sack.  Will do piss all after leaving us.

They're both rightfully gone because both rightfully were bad QB's.  Lamentations about woulda, coulda, shoulda's are misguided at best, flat out dishonest and revisuionist history at worst.  

we all get it wrong from time to time.  Let me remind you how deeply you loved a certain USC QB who was a total disaster as a NFL QB (and no, not Sanchez).  I believed Fitz could a solid short term answer and was dead wrong.  Other thought Geno would be a great QB.  We all get it wrong.

Being wrong isn't a problem.  Denying you were wrong long after the facts show you were unquestionably wrong, and inventing every excuse in the book to excuse "your guy" is a the problem.

On 12/26/2016 at 11:28 PM, BrickzNY said:

Would have rather kept Sanchez then all the other garbage on that list. At least we got to the playoffs with him

I would also argue that he could have been and should have been coached and manhandled better.

Rex's lack of any offense input, Tanny's letting marks WR's go, not drafting OLINE etc all helped mark fail.

We do not develop players the way Baltimore , KC, etc does.

He could be, perhaps,  at least as good as say Alex Smith but Rex and Tanny treated the QB position like its a punter.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Problem is, he got injured in August 2003 and he lasted until January 2008. 

He wasted 5 years of the best offensive line in team history, with a Hall of Fame running back in his prime.  Criminal.

SAR I

c'mon, chad wasted?  like herm or hackjob didn't have something to do with it?  fans tend to try and oversimplify what's going on with the jets.  hence the whole if you gave geno better wr's argument and so on.  the fact is there are tons of reasons why ne guy is good and another with seemingly good talent is bad.  imo there's some serious sanchez revisionism going around.  i admit he did play well in the playoffs but he also had a serious immaturity streak and really didn't dedicate his life to being qb of the jets.  who knows maybe he was too smart.  if we could have put chaddy's head on sanchez's shoulders we might have the qb we're all looking for.

as for chaddy, he played really well until he got injured.  yes he was intimidated by the raiders but so were just about every other team they played that season.  and it wasn't chad as much as that vaunted oline.  they couldn't pick up the blitz.  we'll never know how good chad could have been had he not been a china doll.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

There was a moment in the 2011/2012 offseason where better decisions at RB, WR, and OC might have continued the 23 year old's trajectory upwards and instead caused it to crash and burn in chaos.  And from those mind-f*cks to the injury to being cut, Mark lost whatever he had and it didn't come back.  As we well know, a franchise quarterback is not just about ability, it's about confidence and it's about education and the Jets did everything they could to take that away from the kid.  It's no surprise he's no good now, what should haunt every Jets fan is what might have been back on January 11, 2012 before the Sporano hiring and the subsequent dominoes that caused.

SAR I

So guys in sports who have played poorly on thier first team (due to whatever reasons) and turned out to have good careers elsewhere are... what? 

Sorry, Sanchez was never that good. He is a turnover machine who was overdrafted. He's a .500 QB with a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. He is what he is. Blaming his past coaches/situations for sucking now sounds like a loser mentality.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So guys in sports who have played poorly on thier first team (due to whatever reasons) and turned out to have good careers elsewhere are... what? 

Sorry, Sanchez was never that good. He is a turnover machine who was overdrafted. He's a .500 QB with a 1:1 TD to INT ratio. He is what he is. Blaming his past coaches/situations for sucking now sounds like a loser mentality.

Archived