Only one thing will prevent Jets from playing Christian Hackenberg -- fear

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets fans are one of a kind. Really.

Does someone actually believe that Hackenberg can't complete a warm-up pass, and that is a regular occurrence? 

Take it from me, and I saw this in person. I watched Hackenberg before a Bowl Game (Pinstripe Bowl) warm up on the sidelines and complete a warm-up pass. It happened. I actually remarked to my son, look how different his passes look that any other qb that is warming up (in a good way). So, maybe that helps dispel that myth. Hackenberg can indeed throw a warm-up pass and not have the ball implode.

In that same game, I actually watched him engineer a tremendous comeback. He made reads, he made progressions, dropped the ball in the barrel, when it was required, threw bullets on the mark, and looked like a field general. Watch the Pinstripe Bowl from 2 years ago, if you want to see what he is capable of.

It was a game without Allen Robinson (I read that he made Hackenberg).  It was a game without Bill O'Brien (I read that he made Hackenberg).

The kid is 21 years old. 21. He made a foolish decision leaving the college ranks early. And the jets decided that they were going to "redshirt" him this year. And they have stuck to their guns to that decision. 

All of this does not mean that Hackenberg will amount to anything in the NFL. I know there are many geniuses on this board who love to make pronouncements based on that inane ability of theirs to predict talent. I also know many are hurt by years of frustration at the position. I get it.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Does someone actually believe that Hackenberg can't complete a warm-up pass, and that is a regular occurrence? 

Take it from me, and I saw this in person. I watched Hackenberg before a Bowl Game (Pinstripe Bowl) warm up on the sidelines and complete a warm-up pass. It happened. I actually remarked to my son, look how different his passes look that any other qb that is warming up (in a good way). So, maybe that helps dispel that myth. Hackenberg can indeed throw a warm-up pass and not have the ball implode.

In that same game, I actually watched him engineer a tremendous comeback. He made reads, he made progressions, dropped the ball in the barrel, when it was required, threw bullets on the mark, and looked like a field general. Watch the Pinstripe Bowl from 2 years ago, if you want to see what he is capable of.

It was a game without Allen Robinson (I read that he made Hackenberg).  It was a game without Bill O'Brien (I read that he made Hackenberg).

The kid is 21 years old. 21. He made a foolish decision leaving the college ranks early. And the jets decided that they were going to "redshirt" him this year. And they have stuck to their guns to that decision. 

All of this does not mean that Hackenberg will amount to anything in the NFL. I know there are many geniuses on this board who love to make pronouncements based on that inane ability of theirs to predict talent. I also know many are hurt by years of frustration at the position. I get it.

NFL warm ups are a different game than the NCAA warm ups, Scott. 

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or you can remember the preseason, when he completed 11 of 31 passes for 54 yards and a pick 6 against guys who are pumping gas now.

or the reports from last week that having a catch has become difficult for him.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I suppose you could categorize me into the "geniuses with inane ability."

But this is the most encouraging thing I have read about Hack anywhere. And I really mean that. 

I don't know if the OP has the ability to evaluate talent, as good as I do anyway :), but I trust the OP's own eyes at a game in person more than these so called experts that wouldn't know a good football player if they were tackled by one.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Or you can remember the preseason, when he completed 11 of 31 passes for 54 yards and a pick 6 against guys who are pumping gas now.

All I am telling you is what I saw. He completed a warm-up pass. Many of them in fact. I also saw him compete at the highest level in the NCAA. 

Maybe he in fact has developed the yips, and can't tell the front of the football from the back. In that case, the jets brass is doing us a favor and their jobs will be based on this appropriately. But they did tell us from the very beginning (presumably before playing catch became impossible), that he was not going to see the field this year. They have stuck to their guns. Which is more than any other action I have seen from this year.

None of this means anything as none of us know what he will be. Despite all the rumors and tremendous knowledge of this board.

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but there are at least 25 JetNation posters who have forgotten more about NFL scouting then most NFL GM's will ever know.

9 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I suppose you could categorize me into the "geniuses with inane ability."

But this is the most encouraging thing I have read about Hack anywhere. And I really mean that. 

I don't know if the OP has the ability to evaluate talent, as good as I do anyway :), but I trust the OP's own eyes at a game in person more than these so called experts that wouldn't know a good football player if they were tackled by one.

There some very good passes, and some fair passes in this game. But watch the confidence ooze from Hack in this game. look how he is confident on his feet and making the throws in correct form and to the right spot. Donovan had aggressive playacting in this game, to work to Hackenberg's skills. Why he moved away from that his junior year is beyond me. They tried to turn Hack into some type of read option QB style. It was a perverted system, and Hack did not fit it.

I don't know the kid personally, but he does seem to be the type that needs to build on confidence. That is not a positive check mark, I get it.

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

We have no OL. You can't evaluate a QB with the current state of this OL. 

It's a pointless endeavor to play him. 

The Jets have a lot to do on this unit, and it would be my plan, if I had a vote, to totally build this area of the team first, regardless of who will be qb. And get an every down RB that can exploit that up-front process,

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

The Jets have a lot to do on this unit, and it would be my plan, if I had a vote, to totally build this area of the team first, regardless of who will be qb. And get an every down RB that can exploit that up-front process,

You're a poster after my own heart then! I've been on a tangent in about half the threads around here trying to shout about the OL from the roof tops. It is so, so, bad right now.

I think most people do get it, but it's just not flashy so it's easy to discount. It's easy to think that it's all about the skill players, or that having a good OL or DL is fine, but doesn't equate to a true winning football team.

It's more fun to discuss RBs, QBs, CBs... Because those are guys you see the closeups of and the one on one plays and the flashy moments... 

But football is still won in the trenches. It's an old saying but it's still true.

Any talk of who should play QB, which RB they should draft, what offensive strategy they should use, etc. should all come with the added line of ".. assuming the fix the OL".

"Getting  _____ or ______ at QB will be huge for the Jets next season... assuming they fix the OL"

"I think the Jets will really compete next year if they grab a CB in the draft... assuming they fix the OL"

"I really think ______ has a chance to help the team... assuming they fix the OL"

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

You're a poster after my own heart then! I've been on a tangent in about half the threads around here trying to shout about the OL from the roof tops. It is so, so, bad right now.

I think most people do get it, but it's just not flashy so it's easy to discount. It's easy to think that it's all about the skill players, or that having a good OL or DL is fine, but doesn't equate to a true winning football team.

It's more fun to discuss RBs, QBs, CBs... Because those are guys you see the closeups of and the one on one plays and the flashy moments... 

But football is still won in the trenches. It's an old saying but it's still true.

Any talk of who should play QB, which RB they should draft, what offensive strategy they should use, etc. should all come with the added line of ".. assuming the fix the OL".

"Getting  _____ or ______ at QB will be huge for the Jets next season... assuming they fix the OL"

"I think the Jets will really compete next year if they grab a CB in the draft... assuming they fix the OL"

"I really think ______ has a chance to help the team... assuming they fix the OL"

Look at Dallas and how they built their team. It was in this model. If anyone does not believe that Elliot and that O-line have given Prescott the ultimate security blanket, they are deluding themselves. It has been a model for Denver for years as well. D'brick and Mangold spoiled this franchise for a decade, and we don't have that any more.

I would give him a quarter or the second half. Unless we are winning the game. I wouldn't give up a W esp against Buff just to give him practice time. It's still an official NFL game not an exhibition game. But if he does get in the game just make it as simple as possible for him. An easy playbook and I'm sure that Gailey will only call the plays he is comfortable with. A lot of running, much Bilal Powell, short passes with a few longer throws. He did look good in his first exhibition game but not in his second one. Look, if he's going to be a Jets Qb whether a starter or a backup in the future there comes a time you have to put him on the field in a real game to play. 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Yes

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Everyone has a opinion, and is entitled to that. Does not make it real or true though. your pain of this season is almost over

Your dealing with the poster boy of Agenda posting. Around here, that is an importan role. Oh, and his bible is PFF, so, yeahhhhh.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And the fact that he is having trouble completing passes in warmups against air.

Jets QBs had completed 4 passes and 3 ints in the first 3 quarters against the Pats for a grand total of 0 points. I don't really care how bad Hack can be. I just wanna 'know' how bad he is. Gives one more reason to take a dump on Mac. 

49 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

WTF is the point of playing Hackenberg in Week 17? Nothing good can come of it, whether he performs like sh*t or like Peyton Manning.

Exactly. Even if he plays well and they win, he'll still be a mystery going into next season. 

Let Fitz get his ass kicked and lose the game. Secure a top 5 pick, and start 2017 the right way. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I was at that game and he was scary bad.  Pretty much what he did throughout camp.

I've never seen an NFL QB who seemingly throws wobblers 80% of the time.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

One game isn't going to tell you anything about this guy, but it can get him killed behind this offensive line.

Let Fitz bury himself and this God-awful season. 

I agree completely.  The Jets don't need to give their QBs extensive playing time to get hurt.  They get hurt within minutes of taking the field.  If Hack is going to be anything in 2017 and beyond, he needs the offseason to prepare.

55 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

WTF is the point of playing Hackenberg in Week 17? Nothing good can come of it, whether he performs like sh*t or like Peyton Manning.

I am not buying the Hack needs 2-3 years of development.  If that was the case that is not a 2nd round offense.  I think at this point Draft Picks should be graded in terms of how fast they can play.  2-3 years development is 7th round or undrafted.    On January 15th Hack needs to be working 8 hours a day for 2017.  He can have the weekends off.  That is the only way Macc validates himself and this pick.  

Rex and his band of thugs, playing against this line, will have Hack killed or injured.  That will kill him for 2017.  I would play Powell at QB rather than Hack.  Fitz can justify his $12mm if he basically can stay upright for 4 quarters and not get the Jets' potential future squandered.

This is funny as hell, thanks Scott!

I think the problem most have (at least me for sure) is the perception that the front office is playing it like Hack is the answer. Hack is far from a sure bet. Signing another stopgap veteran as a "bridge to Hack" is a disaster in my opinion. We really need to draft our future QB, and I feel now is the time to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, August said:

You seen how quickly people turned on Petty? They know Hackenberg sucks right now so let him sit out the entire season and give him an entire offseason program to develop and let him compete next year. 

Same plan they had for Petty, which is why we continue to suck at developing QBs.  Only Hack is considerably worse as a potential NFL QB.  Neither player should have been drafted by us, especially Hack who was a disaster at PSU and in no way should have been picked in the second round as a "project/red shirt".

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think he threw a td pass against the Giants?

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Same plan they had for Petty, which is why we continue to suck at developing QBs.  Only Hack is considerably worse as a potential NFL QB.  Neither player should have been drafted by us, especially Hack who was a disaster at PSU and in no way should have been picked in the second round as a "project/red shirt".

The more I read stuff like this, the more convinced I am that Hack is going to be the real deal. But what do I know, I'm just some dope that posts on a website, not an NFL scout like so many others here.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

The more I read stuff like this, the more convinced I am that Hack is going to be the real deal. But what do I know, I'm just some dope that posts on a website, not an NFL scout like so many others here.

I was very encouraged by the Brett Kollman review of Hack.  That plus everyone is convinced he's a bust before he's had a chance.  I'm still holding out hope that Hack is the guy.

Archived