Only one thing will prevent Jets from playing Christian Hackenberg -- fear

TuscanyTile2

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

You can blame the NFLPA for that . They've all but eliminated the ability to practice based on them protecting that wallets.

I would think this should factor in when deciding to draft the guy then.  The bizarre thing to me is that they kept 2 projects - Hack and Petty.  I have a feeling the Jets are going to cut Petty (along w/ not bringing back Fitz/Geno) before next season.  If so, then the QB they focused on the least this year will be the only QB left on the roster next year.

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

That is a strange comment and I hope somewhat deflective of the truth

Probably because that is not what Gailey said. Gailey said "It can take thousands of reps to change a habit" Not at all saying that this was what Hack needed. Big difference.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jets fans are one of a kind. Really.

Does someone actually believe that Hackenberg can't complete a warm-up pass, and that is a regular occurrence? 

Take it from me, and I saw this in person. I watched Hackenberg before a Bowl Game (Pinstripe Bowl) warm up on the sidelines and complete a warm-up pass. It happened. I actually remarked to my son, look how different his passes look that any other qb that is warming up (in a good way). So, maybe that helps dispel that myth. Hackenberg can indeed throw a warm-up pass and not have the ball implode.

In that same game, I actually watched him engineer a tremendous comeback. He made reads, he made progressions, dropped the ball in the barrel, when it was required, threw bullets on the mark, and looked like a field general. Watch the Pinstripe Bowl from 2 years ago, if you want to see what he is capable of.

It was a game without Allen Robinson (I read that he made Hackenberg).  It was a game without Bill O'Brien (I read that he made Hackenberg).

The kid is 21 years old. 21. He made a foolish decision leaving the college ranks early. And the jets decided that they were going to "redshirt" him this year. And they have stuck to their guns to that decision. 

All of this does not mean that Hackenberg will amount to anything in the NFL. I know there are many geniuses on this board who love to make pronouncements based on that inane ability of theirs to predict talent. I also know many are hurt by years of frustration at the position. I get it.

Thanks for the post!

The Pinstripe Bowl was a great game as you point out!!

And yes Jets fans ( I included) are very reactionary.  But we have had recent reports that Hackenberg has had trouble in warm-ups.

And as someone who wanted Hack drafted by the Jets I was concerned by those reports and certainly made to feel better by your rational post.

Thanks Again.....

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That's the thing. Carrying 4 QB's to begin with was crazy. There's no time to develop QB's anymore with the new CBA...drafting someone who was that far behind was puzzling to say the least. IF Hackenberg doesnt improve on his own he's screwed.

It's fine to draft a QB who's that far behind. It's not fine to draft a QB that far behind in round 2, when the team needs a QB right now, has a wealth of WRs to get onto the field with right now, and do so just 1 year after using 2 draft picks on a different project QB. 

If one is going to draft a project QB this far behind, then draft 1 of them, not 2. And certainly don't draft 2 major project QBs with mid/high picks in back to back drafts. Not even if there's a good+reliable starting QB in place, which the Jets incidentally didn't have.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

There some very good passes, and some fair passes in this game. But watch the confidence ooze from Hack in this game. look how he is confident on his feet and making the throws in correct form and to the right spot. Donovan had aggressive playacting in this game, to work to Hackenberg's skills. Why he moved away from that his junior year is beyond me. They tried to turn Hack into some type of read option QB style. It was a perverted system, and Hack did not fit it.

I don't know the kid personally, but he does seem to be the type that needs to build on confidence. That is not a positive check mark, I get it.

This is also against one of the best DC's in college football, Don Brown, who is now the DC at Michigan. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's fine to draft a QB who's that far behind. It's not fine to draft a QB that far behind in round 2, when the team needs a QB right now, has a wealth of WRs to get onto the field with right now, and do so just 1 year after using 2 draft picks on a different project QB. 

If one is going to draft a project QB this far behind, then draft 1 of them, not 2. And certainly don't draft 2 major project QBs with mid/high picks in back to back drafts. Not even if there's a good+reliable starting QB in place, which the Jets incidentally didn't have.

On the other hand, if Hackenberg is a real thing, the they will have made a good gamble. No guarantee Hack would be there in rd 3. no one knows.

The FO and coaching staff are going to live or die with this pick. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

On the other hand, if Hackenberg is a real thing, the they will have made a good gamble. No guarantee Hack would be there in rd 3. no one knows.

The FO and coaching staff are going to live or die with this pick. 

If Hackenberg is the real deal I will mail a mushy love letter to Mike Maccagnan. And I'll mean it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:
  Reveal hidden contents

At this point, what will you be able to tell from one game. Look at the Rams. Goff is a disaster and he was the overall number 1. Knowing this fanbase and media, they would overreact to a good or bad performance. Saw it when Petty played against LA. 

Elway had a terrible 1st year.  I think Eli did too.  It's too early to say about Goff.

Here's an interesting question though - if the Rams offered you Goff for the Jets' #1 pick, would you do it?

47 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan seems to think he has all the time in the world, yet he's simultaneously spending like a drunken moron.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The more I read stuff like this, the more convinced I am that Hack is going to be the real deal. But what do I know, I'm just some dope that posts on a website, not an NFL scout like so many others here.

Why do you defend our scouts and front office?  Our track record is a fukkin' joke, especially with drafting QBs.  Or did you forget Bollinger, Clemens, Geno, Sanchez, Nagle and Richard Todd.  I have NO DOUBT that Hack and Petty will be added with this hall of shame list.

• Upvote 1

It has been totally proven that the average dumbass fan can pick as well as some pr scouts and gms in this league.

The Hack pick and strategy would be small news if the guy was drafted where he should have been drafted, in the 6th round.

That pick provided no help this past year at all, will provide no help probably next year and all we are talking about re this team is the need to add oleiman, cbs pass rushers....etc etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Zero of those players had a single thing to do with any of our current scouts and/ or front office

Not a whit

LOL!  The guys in our front office are even worse.  And our HC? He's cataclysmically bad to the point of being compared to Kotite. Let that ring a bit.  Richie Friggin' Kotite.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jets fans are one of a kind. Really.

Does someone actually believe that Hackenberg can't complete a warm-up pass, and that is a regular occurrence? 

Take it from me, and I saw this in person. I watched Hackenberg before a Bowl Game (Pinstripe Bowl) warm up on the sidelines and complete a warm-up pass. It happened. I actually remarked to my son, look how different his passes look that any other qb that is warming up (in a good way). So, maybe that helps dispel that myth. Hackenberg can indeed throw a warm-up pass and not have the ball implode.

In that same game, I actually watched him engineer a tremendous comeback. He made reads, he made progressions, dropped the ball in the barrel, when it was required, threw bullets on the mark, and looked like a field general. Watch the Pinstripe Bowl from 2 years ago, if you want to see what he is capable of.

It was a game without Allen Robinson (I read that he made Hackenberg).  It was a game without Bill O'Brien (I read that he made Hackenberg).

The kid is 21 years old. 21. He made a foolish decision leaving the college ranks early. And the jets decided that they were going to "redshirt" him this year. And they have stuck to their guns to that decision. 

All of this does not mean that Hackenberg will amount to anything in the NFL. I know there are many geniuses on this board who love to make pronouncements based on that inane ability of theirs to predict talent. I also know many are hurt by years of frustration at the position. I get it.

Hackenberg strength was his arm. He throws a nice ball but his faults is whats above. He was a turnover machine if he got pressured and he held the ball too long. Could he develop. Sure he could but that is for us too wait. He should of went back to school and his comments after he turned pro throwing his head coach was very immature. I wouldn't of picked him in the draft but that's me. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The great John Elway drafted a QB in the first with a team good enough to win the SB the year before and pretty much sat him (except for injuries) behind a late round pick (he made) 2 years back. He also tried to resign a guy (apparently offer was a day too late) to an 18 million a year contract that was benched in lieu of another late round pick. Had Lynch been good enough to start day 1, the Broncos would likely be in the playoffs. Maybe Denver should fire Elway for wasting a 1st round pick on a QB that couldn't beat out Siemian. I realize that Elway has the SB win as the GM so he gets more leeway, but still.

Clearly Mac thought Hack was worth a 2nd even though he had to sit for a year. I know a lot of people hated the pick when it happened, but really, let's wait the year and see what happens. I also don't think a 2nd round pick will be the death of Mac. If he does an admirable job next year drafting and in FA and hack doesn't work out, well, 2nd round QBs (as well as 1st round QBs) often don't work out.