Rex Ryan fired

Matt39

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Makes sense, actually.

If he came to MetLife for a certain easy and dominant win, the narrative of Rex as a leader and having control of the locker room would begin, players would stand up and sing his praises, it would put the Puglia's in a bad spot with the media.

Much better to do it right now after a brutal loss filled with bad coaching decisions that put Miami in the playoffs.

SAR I

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

His NFL career is over.

He's the next John Madden.  Look for EA sports to move the license over to Ryan Football in 2018.

SAR I

I could absolutely see it happening.  Rex is John Madden without the Super Bowl titles.  Then again, Madden never won the Snoopy Bowl.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Also...Rex wanted to continue to play Taylor

Bills are planning to bench QB Tyrod Taylor vs Jets on Sunday to start EJ Manuel, per league sources. This is a business decision so the Bills are not at risk for the $30.75 million left on his contract that would become guaranteed if Taylor suffered a significant injury. A week after the Titans lost Marcus Mariota and the Raiders lost Derek Carr, the Bills are not planning to take any chances with Taylor; thus EJ Manuel is now expected to start the regular-season finale against the Jets.

Does this mean they want to cut TT?  Or does it mean he'd be a FA and they'd have to sign him.  If the latter, I can't imagine him wanting to come back to that organization.

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

They made a bad hire and moved on quickly.

The Jets should do the same.

If they're going to fire Bowles in a week anyway, yes they should not only fire him now, but they should give the interim job to Sheldon Richardson to prevent any do-gooders from winning the game lol.

Just now, Skeet Ulrich said:

We know Bowles is a bumbling idiot. Giving him another year isn't going to change that.

At least my fall Sundays will be free if they bring Bowles back.

I understand that. But following the examples of the BIlls and Browns is not a good idea. No matter how incompetent Bowles is.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Does this mean they want to cut TT?  Or does it mean he'd be a FA and they'd have to sign him.  If the latter, I can't imagine him wanting to come back to that organization.

2017: $12 million (+ $15.5 million option bonus due in March), 2018: $13 million, 2019: $13.6 million, 2020: $13.85 million 2021: $14.55 million, 2022: Free Agent

Yeah, probably it means they want to cut him. Most likely they'll try to trade him first, just in case someone is willing to take over that contract, but even that chance would first depend when his March option bonus is due.

If some GM really believed in him enough to gamble his GM career on him, it's "only" $16.5M/yr x 5 yrs should he live out the deal, but it's particularly expensive ($20M/yr) over the first 2 seasons so it would be a massive blunder if it didn't pan out.

Rex Ryan: Fired from 2 jobs in 3 years.
Rob Ryan: Fired from 3 jobs in 4 years.
Build a bully. I've got my brother with me. We won the offseason. Blah blah blah blah blah...

Makes sense, actually.
If he came to MetLife for a certain easy and dominant win, the narrative of Rex as a leader and having control of the locker room would begin, players would stand up and sing his praises, it would put the Puglia's in a bad spot with the media.
Much better to do it right now after a brutal loss filled with bad coaching decisions that put Miami in the playoffs.
SAR I

And all that stuff

1 hour ago, faba said:

not for nothing why not wait for the final game- Buffalo really wanted to sticjk it to him they would know he would love to beat the Jets one last time

ha ha... if you know you are going to fire him.  why let him coach against the jets and get a meaningless win and screw the draft.  

Buffalo needs to get a new GM as well. It is a pretty screwed up organization.

Quite frankly, if we knew Mac was either going to stay long term or get fired short term I could see Bowles being fired as well. But, as many have pointed out, if you are not sure about Mac, you may not want to give him another 3 years (to manage the HC he would bring in). I wouldn't replace Bowles unless we knew we could get much better. There are going to be about 5 vacancies we would have to compete with.

I don't think you could fire Mac this year and get a top candidate; if we go 4 or less wins next year, you would probably have enough ammunition to attract a good GM considering the QB class.

55 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

They are also apparently very high on the guy that took over here, their OC Anthony Lynn... So it makes sense from the standpoint of giving him a 1 game audition too before the interviews for the coaching position starts...

I mean one game isn't going to give them a clear picture but it'll be helpful for them to say they gave him a shot first if the sign him long term.  

Also takes care of the mandatory minority interview well in advance of the full on search.

Archived