Jump to content

"He's not an NFL Quarterback. It's just that simple"


Paradis
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Guys,

You know, even good scouting and decision making doesn't make anyone know which QBs coming out of these drafts are going to be good these days. It's like anyone who thinks they can consistently predict the stock market, which no one has ever mastered. Goff is the number 1 pick and so far has looked bad, and everyone passed through 3 full rounds and into the top of the 4th round on Prescott and thus far he looks very very good. It is a crap shoot at best these days with so many QBs coming from these one read systems, which is a nice way of calling the offensive systems schoolyard football. The fact is right now nobody knows how good Hack will or won't be. In any event the Jets will probably go hard for a FA QB like Glennon or Taylor if he is released and let them start with Petty as the Backup and Hack as the 3rd QB letting him continue to learn. Yes, 2nd round QBs ca end up sitting sometimes for years till they get a chance to start. Rogers sat for 4 years behind Favre prior to starting. I guess that meant he was a bust for all those years they were waiting. 

The problem with this is if you paid attention to how Goff played, and not his stats, you would never have traded all those picks to move up for him .  The other thing is, Prescott fell into a perfect situation and is making the most of it. Goff has ability to be a franchise QB, but he wasn't any more ready to start in the NFL than Hackenberg was .

College football doesn't prepare anyone to be an NFL starting QB .

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Darron Lee is a solid player. Needs work,but a solid tackler, primed to replace David Harris

This I agree with.

 

Harris has to go.  Him and Pryor.  They are both total liabilities in coverage and the reason why every pass catching RB and TE owns our defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The problem with this is if you paid attention to how Goff played, and not his stats, you would never have traded all those picks to move up for him .  The other thing is, Prescott fell into a perfect situation and is making the most of it. Goff has ability to be a franchise QB, but he wasn't any more ready to start in the NFL than Hackenberg was .

College football doesn't prepare anyone to be an NFL starting QB .

Goff is horrible.  As bad as Petty is and I don't think Petty is good at all he is better than Goff and Lynch.  And I think Petty sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Different team different situations. Denver was a team that just won it all and was looking for a future QB as Manning had retired. They took Lynch because he fell to them and they had other options at QB and felt like they could wait. A second round pick for a team with a gaping hole at many positions and one of the oldest and worst rosters in football should be fighting for a starting job day one. Hack can't even wear pads on Sundays. You can't honestly compare the two. 

So you are suggesting that we shouldn't draft a QB unless he can start day 1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Joejet said:

So you are suggesting that we shouldn't draft a QB unless he can start day 1?

This isn't the 90's.  Rules favor passing so even most rookie qb's should be able to show something.  

 

Goff, Lynch, Hackenberg --  all have looked horrible in regular season games.  Hack is lucky the jets CS is hiding him he is HOT GARBAGE.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not sure where you got that from at all. I'm suggesting you don't take QBs in the second round who can't even be active day 1. 

A second round pick for a team with a gaping hole at many positions and one of the oldest and worst rosters in football should be fighting for a starting job day one.

 

I got it from this sentence.  We are a team with gaping holes at a number of positions.  I f I misinterpreted please explain.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

This isn't the 90's.  Rules favor passing so even most rookie qb's should be able to show something.  

 

Goff, Lynch, Hackenberg --  all have looked horrible in regular season games.  Hack is lucky the jets CS is hiding him he is HOT GARBAGE.

So how do you propose we get a QB?  Most college qb's play in a spread system and aren't prepared to read pro defenses.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Joejet said:

So how do you propose we get a QB?  Most college qb's play in a spread system and aren't prepared to read pro defenses.

Sign one of the veteran qb's available in the offseason whether it be Glennon or Taylor and draft a qb who played in a pro-style offense.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Sign one of the veteran qb's available in the offseason whether it be Glennon or Taylor and draft a qb who played in a pro-style offense.  

To my knowledge, there's only 2 and both need a lot of work .
 

C J Beathard  of the Iowa  Hawkeyes

Patrick Towles of the Boston College Eagles

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Sign one of the veteran qb's available in the offseason whether it be Glennon or Taylor and draft a qb who played in a pro-style offense.  

Actually I'm on record as saying I would like to sign Glennon and let him battle Hack and Petty for the starting job.  I'm not 100% convinced about Taylor as a long term fix but not necessarily against it.  My fear is if his legs go is he still an effective starting QB.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

seriously. as sh*tty as Hack has been he could have been a 7th round pick or undrafted. The Jets outbid themselves for a scrub no one else wanted. 

And if they didn't draft Hack someone would be bitching about that. Not saying you but you know someone would say "yeah and they could have drafted Hack with that pick". Same old song and dance, hindsight is 20/20, etc.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Actually I'm on record as saying I would like to sign Glennon and let him battle Hack and Petty for the starting job.  I'm not 100% convinced about Taylor as a long term fix but not necessarily against it.  My fear is if his legs go is he still an effective starting QB.

Taylor can actually go through progressions though, unlike any qb currently on our roster.  I get the issue with him being a running qb but Taylor can actually still sit back and make reads unlike RG3 who became hot garbage the second his running ability deteriorated at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DMan77 said:

 

MM is a good GM so far. Not amazing, not great, but good... Just look at the money the Jets can shed this off season. A lot of that is because he built these contracts this way so we weren't stuck with 5 years of most of these guys. 

Anyway this isn't meant to be harsh against anyone. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't understand how people already want this guy to walk the plank. He's been solid. He's taken a few risks. He's tried to balance young incoming talent with vets that should have played better (outside of Fitz. Hated that signing)

BOK BOK DING!!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER! 

That is WHY those with the equivalent # of brain cells that correspond to a slug (look it up . . . TWO! )  ARE BLIND TO SEE that Mac - and MORESO Jackie Davidson ala "Mrs. Tanny Cap Specialist" - have STRUCTURED all the FA contracts with 2-3 year "OUTS." The Jets are NO LONGER HANDCUFFED to aging veterans who underperform their salary compensation under this new regime and are replacing them with cheaper depth via Mac's specialty via the draft. 

 

You are correct Sir and it's OK to be a jerk to the multitude of ignorant morons w/their stubborn naive agenda of bashing the FO simply to continue their b!tching ways. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So many people trying to hold on to hope that hack can play so much so that they never want to see him play

I want to see him play, only I can wait until next preseason . Even then, the best he should be is the backup . Kid needs time and should be given time . 

We rushed Sanchez and the results were what they were .

We rushed Geno, and viola, same results .

Circumstances forced Petty into action, and he showed us he wasn't ready

 When will you people learn .

You have to develop a QB, and it takes time  and Patience .  It also needs continuity in the coaching staff .  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Taylor can actually go through progressions though, unlike any qb currently on our roster.  I get the issue with him being a running qb but Taylor can actually still sit back and make reads unlike RG3 who became hot garbage the second his running ability deteriorated at all.

Tyrod knows when to slide when to go down and when to step out of bounds he isn't a guy looking to take on hits. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Tyrod knows when to slide when to go down and when to step out of bounds he isn't a guy looking to take on hits. 

He is a smart player

 

Maybe not as smart as Harvardboy who thought it was a good idea to pick on Richard Sherman in the Seattle game but we all can't get a 1500 on the SAT.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there is actually an answer to the hackenburg question and it isnt debatable. if you dont agree you are wrong plain and simple.

the answer is...

no one knows jack sh*t. 50% of the people will end up being right whether he becomes a great starter in the NFL or the worst QB ever. The jets probably have the best idea...however they are not talking to you, rotoworld, profootball talk or anyone else about it.

time will tell. for our sake i hope he is the real deal.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

2 out of the entire Division I?

 

 

Yes, I study QBs, and those 2 are the only 2 who actually call plays and take a large # of snaps from under center  . I have seen both make checks at the LOS also, but like I said, both need plenty of work .

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

there is actually an answer to the hackenburg question and it isnt debatable. if you dont agree you are wrong plain and simple.

the answer is...

no one knows jack sh*t. 50% of the people will end up being right whether he becomes a great starter in the NFL or the worst QB ever. The jets probably have the best idea...however they are not talking to you, rotoworld, profootball talk or anyone else about it.

time will tell. for our sake i hope he is the real deal.

Where would they be honing his skills at the in the secret NY Jets NFL simulator 10 floors under MetLife just follow the signs that say NY Jets QB grooming school. 

  • Thumb Down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Sign one of the veteran qb's available in the offseason whether it be Glennon or Taylor and draft a qb who played in a pro-style offense.  

 

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

To my knowledge, there's only 2 and both need a lot of work .
 

C J Beathard  of the Iowa  Hawkeyes

Patrick Towles of the Boston College Eagles

THANK YOU TIN! IT's not as easy as it sounds and lots of posters here think it's a simple Madden Plug & Play. 

 

I don't know what's worse: Goodell ruining the NFL OR the neophyte, born AFTER 1989 & when FA was FINALLY allowed in the NFL ignorant "fans" that have been ruined by Madden Video games over the past 22 years. :rolleyes:

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Joejet said:

A second round pick for a team with a gaping hole at many positions and one of the oldest and worst rosters in football should be fighting for a starting job day one.

 

I got it from this sentence.  We are a team with gaping holes at a number of positions.  I f I misinterpreted please explain.

Are you being intentionally obtuse or are you really not getting it? Obviously the position selected in the second round and the current depth chart at the time play factors, but if you're taking a QB in the second round with guys like Petty, Fitz, and Geno on the team then he had best be ready to try and play right away. The Jets need their 2nd round picks to be immediate contributors. There is no reason a QB drafted in 2016 couldn't beat out Geno and Petty for a backup role. The fact that he was the 4th string QB on one of the worst rosters for QBs in the league speaks volumes. I'm very confused as to what you don't understand. It's pretty simple. If Hack was a 2nd round RT and he couldn't beat out Breno we'd be just as upset. If he was a 2nd round CB and they kept trotting Hot garbage like Busted Skrine out there, it'd be upsetting. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Different team different situations. Denver was a team that just won it all and was looking for a future QB as Manning had retired. They took Lynch because he fell to them and they had other options at QB and felt like they could wait. A second round pick for a team with a gaping hole at many positions and one of the oldest and worst rosters in football should be fighting for a starting job day one. Hack can't even wear pads on Sundays. You can't honestly compare the two. 

Sorry, but...

1. he didn't fall to them, they traded up to get him

2. the are more of a win now team with the quality of their D, so it would behove them to draft a guy to start.

But, whatever, the difference IMO is that Elway did one and Mac did the other. Also, the point was you don't draft someone in the 2nd if he can't play, but it is okay to do the same if you draft someone in the 1st? If only a team that just won a SB can roll the dice on a high pick hoping to get the QB of the future, than a team that doesn't draft continuously in the 1st or 2nd pick doesn't have a chance to get a franchise QB. So Elway can invest in the future, but Mac can't. I agree, you can't compare the two at all.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Are you being intentionally obtuse or are you really not getting it? Obviously the position selected in the second round and the current depth chart at the time play factors, but if you're taking a QB in the second round with guys like Petty, Fitz, and Geno on the team then he had best be ready to try and play right away. The Jets need their 2nd round picks to be immediate contributors. There is no reason a QB drafted in 2016 couldn't beat out Geno and Petty for a backup role. The fact that he was the 4th string QB on one of the worst rosters for QBs in the league speaks volumes. I'm very confused as to what you don't understand. It's pretty simple. If Hack was a 2nd round RT and he couldn't beat out Breno we'd be just as upset. If he was a 2nd round CB and they kept trotting Hot garbage like Busted Skrine out there, it'd be upsetting. 

I'm not sure why you are angry.  I just asked for a simple explanation which you provided after your little tantrum.  It wasn't obvious based on how you wrote it in your earlier posts which is why I asked for an explanation.  I won't bother you again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I want to see him play, only I can wait until next preseason . Even then, the best he should be is the backup . Kid needs time and should be given time . 

We rushed Sanchez and the results were what they were .

We rushed Geno, and viola, same results .

Circumstances forced Petty into action, and he showed us he wasn't ready

 When will you people learn .

You have to develop a QB, and it takes time  and Patience .  It also needs continuity in the coaching staff .  

Well,the following disagree with you:

1. Matt Ryan

2. Tom Brady

3. Andrew Luck

4. Marcus Mariota

5. Joe Flacco

6. Cam Newton

7. Andy Dalton

8. Dak Prescott

9. Matthew Stafford

10. Alex Smith

11. Ryan Tannehill

12. Drew Brees

13. Eli Manning

14. Derek Carr

15. Carson Wentz

16. Ben Roethlisberger

17. Russell Wilson

18. Jameis Winston

19. Teddy Bridgewater

 

I'll wait for you to compile that list of current starting QBs who were groomed in the NFL. Let's see if you can get to 5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sorry, but...

1. he didn't fall to them, they traded up to get him

2. the are more of a win now team with the quality of their D, so it would behove them to draft a guy to start.

But, whatever, the difference IMO is that Elway did one and Mac did the other. Also, the point was you don't draft someone in the 2nd if he can't play, but it is okay to do the same if you draft someone in the 1st? If only a team that just won a SB can roll the dice on a high pick hoping to get the QB of the future, than a team that doesn't draft continuously in the 1st or 2nd pick doesn't have a chance to get a franchise QB. So Elway can invest in the future, but Mac can't. I agree, you can't compare the two at all.

John Elway just won a super bowl. He can take a QB whenever he wants. He had other options to bring Lynch along slowly. Macc hasn't done anything and his options at the draft were Petty and Geno. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...