"He's not an NFL Quarterback. It's just that simple"

Paradis

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

seriously. as sh*tty as Hack has been he could have been a 7th round pick or undrafted. The Jets outbid themselves for a scrub no one else wanted. 

Again, know some kids who went to some PSU camps last year. Go to enough camps of any number of schools at all levels you hear things about players, coaches and programs. And a lot of times you can discount it, because college football is like any workplace crossed with 6th grade. Not everyone likes everyone else. And more often than not teams break down along all kinds of lines-race, offense/defense/units, underclassmen/older guys, people the new coach brought in, people the old coach left. But in the case of PSU, EVERYONE hated Hackenburg. This was common knowledge. Maccagnan overlooked that because he trusts Bill O'Brien from Houston. Mistake was taking him so early. Probably could've got him way later. 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Improvement even if it's the smallest amount . I would like the Jets to find a QB who can get them a winning season so this regime can continue to develop this kid if they return next season . A change will mean a completely new scheme and regression . The new York Jets need to learn how to win while losing . We have mastered how to lose while losing, so why not try a different approach .

If they get that QB then like fitz he will be back as the starter the next year.  That will be the usual polarizing thing when we choose a starter for next year.

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Again, know some kids who went to some PSU camps last year. Go to enough camps of any number of schools at all levels you hear things about players, coaches and programs. And a lot of times you can discount it, because college football is like any workplace crossed with 6th grade. Not everyone likes everyone else. And more often than not teams break down along all kinds of lines-race, offense/defense/units, underclassmen/older guys, people the new coach brought in, people the old coach left. But in the case of PSU, EVERYONE hated Hackenburg. This was common knowledge. Maccagnan overlooked that because he trusts Bill O'Brien from Houston. Mistake was taking him so early. Probably could've got him way later. 

If Mac listen to anything obrien said he is a total fool who gets what he deserves.  Obrien had brady, yeah he is suddenly a guru, then as  ahead coach and qb guru he goes after hoyer then mallet and then oswieler.  Yeah he's a good judge of qbs all right.  Other than hoyer big guys with big arms that totally suck at everything else.  On top of that mac totally ingored the last two years of college play.  Just a sh*tty pick that a good gm should know better,

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That is the point right?  A 2nd round pick we that has never suited up this year and could very well not suit up next year meanwhile we have needs at many positions, 

The problem is right now there is literally nothing to be positive about.  The ship needs to right itself.  We don't know if Woody is going to drop Bowles in the garbage and then have a long talk with Macc or just punt the two of them.  I'm for keeping Macc but Bowles has to go.  I just think it needs to happen because after this disaster of a season, there can't be a whiff of the malaise that occurred.  Cut out the diseased part of this team and try to save the young players already here.  We need to be able to find someplace to start.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If they get that QB then like fitz he will be back as the starter the next year.  That will be the usual polarizing thing when we choose a starter for next year.

Hackenberg is 21 years old, and signed a 4 year contract with a 5th year option . He has 2 more years to prove that the GM made a mistake . That will be the end of his 3rd year, and by then at 23, he should be ready to challenge for a starting NFL Job .  What exactly is the rush when we're trying to find something we haven't seen around here since Namath .

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Hackenberg is 21 years old, and signed a 4 year contract with a 5th year option . He has 2 more years to prove that the GM made a mistake . That will be the end of his 3rd year, and by then at 23, he should be ready to challenge for a starting NFL Job .  What exactly is the rush when we're trying to find something we haven't seen around here since Namath .

Every asset used on a long shot player is one not used on getting the other parts of the team better.  The rush?  Front office regimes not have a long time before they get replaced if they do not find a good or at least acceptable qb, then when the new regime comes in guys like hackenburg get dumped unless they have shown something.

Fitz, Petty and Geno are getting the crap beaten out of them all season, Hackenberg is standing on the sideline holding a clipboard like he's the coach's son, with this smug look on his face, like he's thinking "And I get paid for this..."  What's worse is after the games when the camera follows the players off the field, here is this guy walking off, smiling after another brutal loss, all neat and clean in his warmup sweats....Isn't there something else he should be doing to speed up the learning curve?  Pisses me off...

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

2nd round picks don't get 5th year options. There is no real "rush" but the kid has to dramatically improve many facets of his game in order to even be an average QB. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Every asset used on a long shot player is one not used on getting the other parts of the team better.  The rush?  Front office regimes not have a long time before they get replaced if they do not find a good or at least acceptable qb, then when the new regime comes in guys like hackenburg get dumped unless they have shown something.

And there in lies the problem . The Merry-Go- Around has to stop sometime . The other thing that needs to stop is for the ownership of this franchise to quit allowing the Fans and the Media to  determine who run it . 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

2nd round picks don't get 5th year options. There is no real "rush" but the kid has to dramatically improve many facets of his game in order to even be an average QB. 

He's a QB, and they get different rules . But maybe you're right .

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"Know some kids..Everyone hated him. Mccagnan overlooked that. Mccagnan made his decision based on O'Brien. Probably could have got him way later."

Seem to know quite a bit. You work for Mccagnan? Ever talk to Mccagnan about CH? Or any other of the 31 NFL teams? 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You don't draft developmental QBs in the 2nd round when you haven't addressed the offensive line in years, you're relying on Matt Forte at running back, your corners are a has been and a bunch of never going to be players, and you have zero outside pass rush. Especially when you just took a developmental QB in the 4th round a year before. It's a poor allocation of resources. 

Elways roster afforded him the opportunity to draft Lynch where he did because he's got really good players in many key positions.

The Jets taking Hack where they did would be like the Browns taking a running back number one overall despite a lack talent everywhere else. 

Couldn't agree more.. In this day and age the athletic qb who can also throw is a big difference maker.. Taking a project qb with emense athletic ability who needs pocket polishing is risk worthy of taking.. This kid came out of penn state and does not possess any crazy factors such as height, rare athleticism, or rare throwing zip.. The major point is NO one was picking him in the 2nd round, probably not 3rd.. Let's go back to geno smith, the buzz was he may go top 10..( cazy). Then his stock fell right before draft . Izdik admitted he considered taking him instead of milliner.. ( sadly geno put out more production than dee).. But as aweful as Izdik was, he determined geno would still be there with our 2nd pick.. 

Lot of draft talk last yr was petty could go end of round 1.. Or probable in the 2nd.. You can't blame Mac for picking him as he fell to the 4th.. I just wish he had the same mentality with hackenberg, but he overreached big time..  

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So you were able to come up with NOT EVEN 20 QBs over a 17 YEAR SPAN that were simply AMAZING QBs from their initial rookie year? Got it.:rolleyes:

It's not as simple as some of you seem to state, but whatever. 

Brady SAT all of 2000.

Smith was TRASH until his 6th year when Harbugh arrived. 

Brees was NOT RESIGNED by his original team after 5 YEARS and finally lit it up when he arrived in NO. 

The rest you listed all had their respective struggles as rookie QBs with possibly the exception of Russell Wilson who "fell" to the 3rd round. IT MUST BE a PERFECT SCIENCE selecting these QBs SuperBowl Caliber QBs listed. :rolleyes:

roffles, did you really not get that I only did current starting QBs? LOLOLOL. Nice rant though. Shame it wasn't accurate.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I'm willing to do just that. Do you think this coach is given that his job is on the line? If a new coach is brought in do you think he'll look twice at a guy like Hack?

I'm sure the current coaching staff probably would give hack more of a chance given that they drafted him. unless  they replaced him with somebody like o'brien or john gruden

8 hours ago, Bugg said:

Sure you do, lmfao.

Saeed Blacknall is alumni of the high school that I played at. He had nothing but awesome things to say about Hack and so did many of his former teammates that I met.  He's loved there by pretty much everyone who played with him and is revered by students, fans, and many coaches for sticking with the University when the sanctions came down.  So either you're blowing smoke out of your ass or the "kids" you "know" are straight up LYING.  

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

"Know some kids..Everyone hated him. Mccagnan overlooked that. Mccagnan made his decision based on O'Brien. Probably could have got him way later."

Seem to know quite a bit. You work for Mccagnan? Ever talk to Mccagnan about CH? Or any other of the 31 NFL teams? 

He knows jack sh*t. 

I hate throwing my personal relationships with certain people around because of the ramifications but I know people who have played with Hackenberg and are still friendly with him today.  I asked them wayyyyyyyy back about what type of kid we were getting and they ALL had nothing but great things to say about him.  A great kid who is a quiet but strong leader that was loved and respected by teammates, brilliant football mind, gym and film rat, totally committed to getting better were some of the things talked about.  I've proven before, on this very forum, that my connections aren't bullsh*t and people I know close to the team have said some pretty encouraging things about him that keep me optimistic.  That's not saying that that it's all rainbows and sunshine but he has shown some signs of development since the summer ended.  Mechanically and mentally.  That's as far as im going with that though.  Anyone saying that Hackenberg was hated at PSU is an idiot and is just making sh*t up.  Plain and simple.  

If Hack fails, fine. He wasn't the first and probably won't be the last. Not gonna let that type of stupid sh*t fly though, especially when I can say for a fact that it's all made up.  This place has been f*cking insufferable lately and that garbage isn't going to help.

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Couldn't agree more.. In this day and age the athletic qb who can also throw is a big difference maker.. Taking a project qb with emense athletic ability who needs pocket polishing is risk worthy of taking.. This kid came out of penn state and does not possess any crazy factors such as height, rare athleticism, or rare throwing zip.. The major point is NO one was picking him in the 2nd round, probably not 3rd.. Let's go back to geno smith, the buzz was he may go top 10..( cazy). Then his stock fell right before draft . Izdik admitted he considered taking him instead of milliner.. ( sadly geno put out more production than dee).. But as aweful as Izdik was, he determined geno would still be there with our 2nd pick.. 

Lot of draft talk last yr was petty could go end of round 1.. Or probable in the 2nd.. You can't blame Mac for picking him as he fell to the 4th.. I just wish he had the same mentality with hackenberg, but he overreached big time..  

Hackenberg has an absolute rifle and not a soul had Petty as a first round or a second round QB.

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

GM's shouldn't be fired by year two unless they do a bang up job like Idzik did. GM's draft picks need time to develop. The grand scheme of things are more important in a GM's job while a HC needs success or improvement..in our fan bases case..results more than anything but I don't think MM needs to be fired. Hack will get the opportunity to start next year. That was the decision from the get go.

I agree. I would like to see Macc choose his own coach and have at least a 5 year period of untouchable to see if an actual long term plan can be realized. 

Can we get someone from the F*cking Steelers organization already? They have had 3 coaches since the Jets last won the Super Bowl. THREE!!! And have won 6 super bowls in that time. Or at least someone who has HC experience. Can we stop getting first time coaches from flash in the pan teams like the the Cardinals? 

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Hackenberg has an absolute rifle and not a soul had Petty as a first round or a second round QB.

And I'm sure Hack has played in the rain before (having played at PSU).  I definitely think people are judging Hack way too quickly.  He might end up being a bust (most QBs are!) but he's an intriguing prospect.  And sometimes when nobody believes in you, it makes it easier.  I think the Jets have sufficiently lowered the expectations for Hack.  Nobody expects anything of the guy at this point because of the way the Jets have handled him so far.

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree. I would like to see Macc choose his own coach and have at least a 5 year period of untouchable to see if an actual long term plan can be realized. 

Can we get someone from the F*cking Steelers organization already? They have had 3 coaches since the Jets last won the Super Bowl. THREE!!! And have won 6 super bowls in that time. Or at least someone who has HC experience. Can we stop getting first time coaches from flash in the pan teams like the the Cardinals? 

Some coaching trees are better than others though.  The Cheaters coaching tree from BB has so far been awful (Crennel, Weis, McDaniels and even a guy who I still believe in - Mangini to name a few).

Edit:

LMAO - this site auto-replaces "P a t r i o t s" with "Cheaters".

Sorry

I call bullshlt on this tale

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some coaching trees are better than others though.  The Cheaters coaching tree from BB has so far been awful (Crennel, Weis, McDaniels and even a guy who I still believe in - Mangini to name a few).

Edit:

LMAO - this site auto-replaces "P a t r i o t s" with "Cheaters".

LOL  That's hilarious.

It's all about BB in NE. It's not the organazation. It's him. When he goes they will suck again most likely. Remember they had Pete Carroll just before BB and they fired him.

The Steelers on the other hand are about the organization. Three coaches in 47 years, all with rings, is a big deal and no one touches them as far as how to run a football org.

Dallas could be mentioned I suppose but it's Not even close.

15 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It wasn't a bad game. It was a world-historically awful game. He had less than 2 YPA and a pick six against guys who were loading trucks a week later.

So that means the guys that are now loading trucks who played for the Jets that day had an incredible grasp of the offense and a QB who was getting very few Reps in training camp should have lit it up ?

Hack has the talent and the right QB coach/OC can probably get a lot out of him. Do you trust this current pack of Idiots who had Fitz slinging the ball all over the field to do the right thing with Hack ? It seemed obvious what type of offense we should have been running this year yet our OC felt it better to have Fitz try his impersonation of Brett Favre.

How do you think a guy like Jim Harbaugh would do with Hack ? He had a great impression on Alex Smith and then on Kaepernick

I know Harbaugh loves Michigan but 10 mil per out of Woodys god damn pocket could speak volumes or at least get Harbaugh listening. Right now after a 2 mil per year raise Harbaugh is making 7 mil per

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

So that means the guys that are now loading trucks who played for the Jets that day had an incredible grasp of the offense and a QB who was getting very few Reps in training camp should have lit it up ?

Hack has the talent and the right QB coach/OC can probably get a lot out of him. Do you trust this current pack of Idiots who had Fitz slinging the ball all over the field to do the right thing with Hack ? It seemed obvious what type of offense we should have been running this year yet our OC felt it better to have Fitz try his impersonation of Brett Favre.

How do you think a guy like Jim Harbaugh would do with Hack ? He had a great impression on Alex Smith and then on Kaepernick

I know Harbaugh loves Michigan but 10 mil per out of Woodys god damn pocket could speak volumes or at least get Harbaugh listening. Right now after a 2 mil per year raise Harbaugh is making 7 mil per

I can't believe you're going to do the "but coaching!" thing with yet another terrible QB. Think of your family, Smash!

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I can't believe you're going to do the "but coaching!" thing with yet another terrible QB. Think of your family, Smash!

I think your absolutely spot on with this one, coaching does not mean anything at all to QB's. You either pop out of your Momma's vag as a franchise QB or you don't, period! 

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I think your absolutely spot on with this one, coaching does not mean anything at all to QB's. You either pop out of your Momma's vag as a franchise QB or you don't, period! 

Utterly ridiculous.  Peyton was legendary for film study and, from what I've read, Brady is an incredibly hard worker and healthy eater.  These guys are 2 of the all-time greats (Brady probably is GOAT) and they absolutely work their tails off for their success. 

Add in Michael Jordan (also GOAT) who also worked his tail off.  Even in other fields (e.g. music), they work their tails off.  For example, some great guitar players practice 10, 12, 14 hours per day.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Utterly ridiculous.  Peyton was legendary for film study and from what I've read, Brady is an incredibly hard worker and healthy eater.  These guys are 2 of the all-time greats (Brady probablyis GOAT) and they absolutely work their tails off for their success. 

You know I am being sarcastic right?

Archived