Fitz to Start; Hack # 2

JetNation

Fitz_Hack.jpg

Todd Bowles ended the speculation today, after the recent injury to Bryce Petty, Ryan Fitzpatrick will start again on Sunday. Christian Hackenberg will be active for the first time, but it doesn’t sound like Hackenberg will play unless the game is lopsided either way. Bowles doesn’t normally offer very detailed explanations for his decisions and that was the case this time. Here is the reasoning behind starting Fitzpatrick.

Because he was the backup and now he’s the starter.

He did give additional thoughts on why it isn’t important for Hackenberg to play this week.

Bryce (Petty) had four games to get ready for. We’re not going to gain or lose nothing by looking at Christian or not in this game.

Anybody that hasn’t played. They won’t be ready until they play, but you don’t leap frog people to start playing. If Fitz gets hurt and he gets to play, you’ll see him play, but if not it doesn’t mean anything plus or minus that we’re not playing him this year. We had a plan for him going in when we drafted him. He’s taken a lot of reps in practice. If Fitz gets hurt, he’ll go in there and play. If Fitz doesn’t, he won’t play, but he’s ready to play. He’ll be ready to play. Obviously with experience comes better play and you’ll see a bunch of things, but putting him in right now isn’t going to hurt or help him.

All of them had mechanical problems coming out (of the NFL Draft). We didn’t need him to play right away because going off of last year, Fitz had a great year and Geno (Smith) was coming back. The idea was to put him on the shelf regardless and let him get better going in. He wasn’t going to come in and then beat out the two guys that were ahead of him, or three guys that were ahead of him. He can use some mechanical work and he got better as the year went on. That will only show in the game, but (putting) him out there in the last game and say his mechanics aren’t great or his mechanics aren’t bad doesn’t make any sense either.

The game won’t mean much for either team, except for draft position. The Bills fired Rex Ryan, along with his brother Rob on Tuesday. So the revenge matchup angle isn’t there any longer.

It would have been nice to get more game film on the young QBs, especially since Ryan Fitzpatrick won’t be on the team next season. Bowles said the team will talk about Petty’s future in the offseason. He did say he hasn’t had surgery yet and there is no timetable yet for his return to the field.

Here is the assessment of Petty from his head coach.

On how Petty played this season…

We won one, so that was a good game. We lost the other two, so not so great by anybody.

On what Petty needs to work on…

Mostly his reads. Getting his reads down. Controlling the game, a little bit more.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
8NgIV4jUwwg

Click here to read the full story...

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

You have a 12 year old neighbor that's 6'5" and weighs 235? Does Rutgers know about this kid?:D

8 minutes ago, TJ said:

12 year old kid is 6'4"  Hope he plays hoops as well. ? 

Hack looks lanky and lean if you know what I mean Doogie Howser type physic only thing missing is the braces. 

8 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Hope Hack gets to play this last game. I don't really care it comes. Maybe the Bills will be blowing the Jets 50-3 by halftime. As long as Hack plays a meaningful game...or half. 

If the Bills are blowing the Jets out at halftime 50-3 Woody Johnson better come out of the locker room after halftime as the head coach for the remainder of the game. 

Just being #2 and getting that prep work will help. He will need to prep like the starter cause he's 1 hit away from being in there now. So that will help anyway.

Would like to see him in for a series or 3 but it's so fleeting at this point that there's nothing he can do either way to hang your hat on.

I will say, the coaches and GM have truly stuck to their guns with Fitz being their #1 and Hack getting a red-shirt season.

They have kept Hack out at seemingly all costs and given Fitz endless opportunities despite some awful play.

So now that they are down to 2 QBs from 4 due to injury, its no surprise that Fitz is starting and Hack is #2.

Hack has a ton of talent, good work ethic and good football IQ. He's young and he will get his shot. I think he is considerably more prepared to play in the NFL than the coaches are leading on or that any fan may think. This kid is a film rat and I would imagine worked his butt off this season learning the playbook, working on his footwork, accuracy, as well as spending hours and hours watching film.

Haters gonna hate, assumptions will be made, but with a season on the sidelines and a full offseason to prepare and develop chemistry, Hack will have an opportunity to start next year. And I expect him to seriously push Petty, a rookie, or frankly, any other competition he Jets bring in at QB.

Regardless of where he was selected (a late 2nd rounder is not THAT high actually), if this was happening 6-7 years ago, this would be a complete non-story and standard issue for a young QB- to sit out at least one season. But with rookie QBs coming in a nd making a major impact these days in the NFL, the days of grooming a QB the traditional way are long gone, at least in the eyes of the fans and media.  

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I will say, the coaches and GM have truly stuck to their guns with Fitz being their #1 and Hack getting a red-shirt season.

They have kept Hack out at seemingly all costs and given Fitz endless opportunities despite some awful play.

So now that they are down to 2 QBs from 4 due to injury, its no surprise that Fitz is starting and Hack is #2.

Hack has a ton of talent, good work ethic and good football IQ. He's young and he will get his shot. I think he is considerably more prepared to play in the NFL than the coaches are leading on or that any fan may think. This kid is a film rat and I would imagine worked his butt off this season learning the playbook, working on his footwork, accuracy, as well as spending hours and hours watching film.

Haters gonna hate, assumptions will be made, but with a season on the sidelines and a full offseason to prepare and develop chemistry, Hack will have an opportunity to start next year. And I expect him to seriously push Petty, a rookie, or frankly, any other competition he Jets bring in at QB.

Regardless of where he was selected (a late 2nd rounder is not THAT high actually), if this was happening 6-7 years ago, this would be a complete non-story and standard issue for a young QB- to sit out at least one season. But with rookie QBs coming in a nd making a major impact these days in the NFL, the days of grooming a QB the traditional way are long gone, at least in the eyes of the fans and media.  

I hope you're right.

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think your last paragraph is an interesting point. More fans and media expect QBs to be ready as soon as they come out and if they aren't, they are busts. Since more and more colleges use the spread offense, wouldn't it make more sense for QBs to be allowed a year or two on the bench to learn a NFL offense? 

Just now, TheMagicRat said:

I think your last paragraph is an interesting point. More fans and media expect QBs to be ready as soon as they come out and if they aren't, they are busts. Since more and more colleges use the spread offense, wouldn't it make more sense for QBs to be allowed a year or two on the bench to learn a NFL offense? 

Correct.

I think what teams do these days is try to form a gameplan that utilizes the rookie's talents in order to hide his weaknesses, lack of experience and lack of familiarity with the playbook. It may not be the best way to develop a QB but the pressure is just too big for most coaches and brass to see what they have in their talented young, high draft pick QB ASAP. Especially when they don't have a legit QB vet option. And those are typically the teams that take QBs early.

Wentz is a perfect example. Every play is ran through him and takes into account his strengths and weaknesses. It worked well for a while, but once teams get film on you and you don't have a dominant team surrounding you (like the Cowboys with Dak), as a rookie QB, you will almost always start to struggle.  

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Correct.

I think what teams do these days is try to form a gameplan that utilizes the rookie's talents in order to hide his weaknesses, lack of experience and lack of familiarity with the playbook. It may not be the best way to develop a QB but the pressure is just too big for most coaches and brass to see what they have in their talented young, high draft pick QB ASAP. Especially when they don't have a legit QB vet option. And those are typically the teams that take QBs early.

Wentz is a perfect example. Every play is ran through him and takes into account his strengths and weaknesses. It worked well for a while, but once teams get film on you and you don't have a dominant team surrounding you (like the Cowboys with Dak), as a rookie QB, you will almost always start to struggle.  

Very true. 

I remember when Carson Palmer sat his full first year. Imagine if that happened today? The coach wouldn't even last a season. lol

Archived