Todd Bowles: The effort isn’t the problem

Gen X Jet

I am at the point where I think I want this mentally impaired fellow back so we can guarantee 1-15 next year and get the #1 overall in 2018.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/27/todd-bowles-the-effort-isnt-the-problem/

The Jets season started poorly with losses in five of the first six games and it isn’t ending any better as the team has lost six of their last seven.

The last three losses have come by 31, 21 and 38 points, which has led some to question the team’s effort level. Rookie defensive end Leonard Williams said, via ESPN.com, after last Saturday’s 41-3 loss to the Cheaters that he thought the team lacked passion and that “some people are probably looking past the season.” Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson had similar comments after the game and coach Todd Bowles was asked about his team’s effort level being a problem on Tuesday.

“Not at all. We’ve talked about it. It’s not the effort, it’s the concern,” Bowles said at a press conference. “Those are blown things that we blow week in and week out. That’s consistent. So those things make it seem like the effort isn’t there, but the effort’s there. Blowing same things week in and week out makes it seem worse than it is.”

Bowles was also asked about defensive end Sheldon Richardson telling reporters that wide receiver Brandon Marshall should be “embarrassed” in the wake of the loss to the Cheaters. Bowles said he spoke to the players and the team and that he’d rather have players “frustrated and pissed off” during a losing season because it shows they care.

That level of care hasn’t been showing up on the field. Whether that’s effort or, as Bowles said Tuesday, “not playing smart,” it’s not a great look at the end of Bowles’ second season in the job.

Next, Bowles explains that losing is actually good for team morale because it shows that players care about the "nuts and bolts" of being pissed off and not playing up to their abilities and potential.  He then went on to crack an egg on his head and walk out of the room eating a buttermilk pancake.

15 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

I am at the point where I think I want this mentally impaired fellow back so we can guarantee 1-15 next year and get the #1 overall in 2018.

Ya know, I'm sure that some feel that way...but IMO it is an extremely short-sighted POV.

Wanting someone back to go 1-15 means you don't think he's much of a coach, and I agree...IMO, he's way over his head here.  Sure, you get a good DP next year but while that's great, subjecting the other DP's from the previous few years to a bad coach and a 1-15 season does little to their development..which we have seen this year already.  Poor coaching and toxic environments are not good attributes toward developing a sustainable football program.

If you think Bowles is a bad coach, then you ditch him ASAP...you don't want that stench hanging around as it's often hard to get rid of once present.  Good teams fix problems, not condone their continuation in order to get a good DP 'next year' IMO.

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Next, Bowles explains that losing is actually good for team morale because it shows that players care about the "nuts and bolts" of being pissed off and not playing up to their abilities and potential.  He then went on to crack an egg on his head and walk out of the room eating a buttermilk pancake.

Very funny... :) 

What did Casserly and Wolf sell this fool?  I think Bowles is a nice, hardworking guy who made some friends in the NFL.  The NFL is a Boys Club of sorts.   Bowles was on the list of someone "to be taken care of," as was likely Macc, another good soldier.

But I don't know how smart he is, and his staff ain't no better.  You watch Gase on the sidelines and you know you are dealing with someone smart.

It reminds of the line that Mac Davis said in the movie, North Dallas Forty. He played Don Meridith and he tells the character playing a Roger Staubach after he was out all night, "Lying can be real good for a relationship".

Maybe Bowles is hoping that being embarrassed week after week builds character for the long term. LOL

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sorry Todd its time you start throwing your guys under the bus. They've sh*t all over you for 16 games and the noble leader facade isn't fooling anyone. 

If Todd Bowles still have a Job as Jets HC following this season, he won't need to throw anyone under a Bus.  All he has to do is make the proper cuts, and release the right people and even the fans will get the picture. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Besides Revis, I would agree with Bowles here. The talent is horrific. Stop drafting and signing slow players.

I might add Richardson to that list (I think that's who Williams was referring to), but otherwise the roster is just bad. Fortunately, we paid a lot of money and traded a lot of draft picks for it, so BIG MACC BIG MACC BIG MACC

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Sorry Todd its time you start throwing your guys under the bus. They've sh*t all over you for 16 games and the noble leader facade isn't fooling anyone. 

This is so correct, he has covered so any asses this year and normally players like and respect coaches that will do this, but we have such low character mooks on this team they simply take advantage.

I remember in camp questioning why Richardson was excused form practice multiple times with no explanation.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

What has he done right this season? Serious question. I don't want to hear "you can't fire a coach after 2 seasons, its not fair... no one will want to come here". My question is, what has he done right this season? Anything?

Here is my case for both sides.

The case to fire Todd Bowles: Ladies and gentleman of the jury, I enter into evidence everything that has happened to this team, and around this team, starting in the week 17 win and you are in loss LAST season. We will call that Exhibit A.

The case to not fire Todd Bowles: Ladies and gentleman of the jury, Woody Johnson might actually hire somebody worse. Let's just stock pile good draft picks and see what Macc can do. Then if Woody takes a Gov't job we can let the new head of football operations hire the next coach.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I might add Richardson to that list (I think that's who Williams was referring to), but otherwise the roster is just bad. Fortunately, we paid a lot of money and traded a lot of draft picks for it, so BIG MACC BIG MACC BIG MACC

Nothing signifies the **** the internet movement more than Mauldin over Danielle Hunter.

He doesn't even know what the hell he's saying now. After the Monday Night disgrace against the Colts, Bowles said "We didn't give a lot of effort..."

http://nypost.com/2016/12/05/todd-bowles-has-to-go/

Now all of a sudden the problem isn't the effort. He's seriously got to go. The competence level, the lack of ability to motivate players, his insistence on starting players who obviously suck, etc. these things don't tend to get better with HCs, folks. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

The case to not fire Todd Bowles: Ladies and gentleman of the jury, Woody Johnson might actually hire somebody worse. Let's just stock pile good draft picks and see what Macc can do. Then if Woody takes a Gov't job we can let the new head of football operations hire the next coach.

How would he be worse? What has Bowles done right this season? Firing Bowles and stockpiling picks and letting Mac do his thing are not related. Let Mac pick his own HC and do his draft thing.

11 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/27/todd-bowles-the-effort-isnt-the-problem/

The Jets season started poorly with losses in five of the first six games and it isn’t ending any better as the team has lost six of their last seven.

The last three losses have come by 31, 21 and 38 points, which has led some to question the team’s effort level. Rookie defensive end Leonard Williams said, via ESPN.com, after last Saturday’s 41-3 loss to the Cheaters that he thought the team lacked passion and that “some people are probably looking past the season.” Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson had similar comments after the game and coach Todd Bowles was asked about his team’s effort level being a problem on Tuesday.

“Not at all. We’ve talked about it. It’s not the effort, it’s the concern,” Bowles said at a press conference. “Those are blown things that we blow week in and week out. That’s consistent. So those things make it seem like the effort isn’t there, but the effort’s there. Blowing same things week in and week out makes it seem worse than it is.”

Bowles was also asked about defensive end Sheldon Richardson telling reporters that wide receiver Brandon Marshall should be “embarrassed” in the wake of the loss to the Cheaters. Bowles said he spoke to the players and the team and that he’d rather have players “frustrated and pissed off” during a losing season because it shows they care.

That level of care hasn’t been showing up on the field. Whether that’s effort or, as Bowles said Tuesday, “not playing smart,” it’s not a great look at the end of Bowles’ second season in the job.

This sh*t is ******* hilarious. Bowles is basically saying his players make the same mistakes week in and week out ..... Hey Todd You ******* Moron who's fault do you think that is ??? This is the worst head Coach in the history of this team yes right up there with Charlie Winner and Lou Holtz (who should have never bothered coaching in the NFL)

10 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If Todd Bowles still have a Job as Jets HC following this season, he won't need to throw anyone under a Bus.  All he has to do is make the proper cuts, and release the right people and even the fans will get the picture. 

You give our fans too much credit, but I agree.

I saw guys on the field making tackles and not jaking it at least in the first half. And a lot of stops on opponents offensive drives. But then on defense everything is negated by a big play esp on a 3rd and long. On offense a lot of missed blocks.Or a lineman just being out smarted or out muscled. Receivers dropping balls on key plays. Bad decisions by the quarterbacks. And bad play calling esp in the red zone. 

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This sh*t is ******* hilarious. Bowles is basically saying his players make the same mistakes week in and week out ..... Hey Todd You ******* Moron who's fault do you think that is ??? This is the worst head Coach in the history of this team yes right up there with Charlie Winner and Lou Holtz (who should have never bothered coaching in the NFL)

I know a very well respected Former NFL HC who made this statement . "I don't coach penalties or mistakes " .  We have a bunch of selfish players who play the game for the money and not the love of the game .

imo it's not so much about the effort as the players understanding what's going on.  this defense has been a sieve.  too many times players are out of position or not taking the right angles to make a play.  it's not about physical talent and much as how the players mentally react to the plays.  i can almost excuse the offense because the oline has been pretty bad the whole season but the defense doesn't deserve a pass.  and most of this is coaching.

this reminds me of when herm said, of his team that didn't know how to tackle, that the team doesn't practice tackling.  well, why the heck not?

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is basically the same thing Rex said every loss that it was on him and not the players. This is just what coaches say.

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Last I checked all of that was Macc's job. 

Archived