It's confirmed - Mehta is as clueless as we thought...

Freemanm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/rex-ryan-bills-scapegoat-long-playoff-drought-article-1.2925876?utm_content=bufferdc831&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

there's a valid reason(s) why we fired him, and it's the same reason why Buffalo fired him. I hope Rex has success elsewhere as he's a good guy, but just not a good HC

By all appearances, Rex was fired because he could not operate in the Bills structure. It appears, based on what we have seen immediately after he was fired (EJ Manuel being named starter), that Manuel was the qb that the Bills wanted to see at the qb position, because they are on the hook for a huge bonus in March with Taylor.

This is conjecture on my part, but seems to make a lot of sense. It was whispered in media circles several weeks ago when the Rex rumors initially surfaced.

The Bills also appear to be high on Lynn. Whether he is a real HC candidate, I cannot say. But, again by appearances, the Bills had to force Roman out.

By these appearances, Rex wanted it his way, and only his way. And the Bills allowed him to operate in that manner, at least to some degree. Rex had 27 (TWENTY SEVEN!) assistants. More than any other head coach has.he was allowed to hire his brother. Rex had leeway.

But, as it is in his genes, Rex takes things too far and has to be the rebel. He has to "show them". And it always leads to his downfall.

29 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/rex-ryan-bills-scapegoat-long-playoff-drought-article-1.2925876?utm_content=bufferdc831&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

there's a valid reason(s) why we fired him, and it's the same reason why Buffalo fired him. I hope Rex has success elsewhere as he's a good guy, but just not a good HC

No, he's not a good guy. Like, not at all.

Just because he panders to the folksy, blue-collar, guy's guy types in the audience doesn't mean he's a good guy. He's a divisive, double-crossing, manipulative piece of sh*t. His behind the scenes scheming rots teams to their core, while he uses his dopey antics and stooges (like Mehta) in the media to win the court of public opinion.

He's as far from being a "good guy" as they get.

Rex is 100% for Rex. Nobody else.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

No, he's not a good guy. Like, not at all.

Just because he panders to the folksy, blue-collar, guy's guy types in the audience doesn't mean he's a good guy. He's a divisive, double-crossing, manipulative piece of sh*t. His behind the scenes scheming rots teams to their core, while he uses his dopey antics and stooges (like Mehta) in the media to win the court of public opinion.

He's as far from being a "good guy" as they get.

Rex is 100% for Rex. Nobody else.

So weird how the guy will say "It's on me" and "We'll fix this" every postgame press conference, trying to come off as humble and remorseful, then behind the scenes you'll see articles making every excuse in the book for him, as well as other mysterious reports after the fact about which failed draft picks Rex didn't want. 

He's the architect of his own PR, but does it in subversive fashion, and has for years.  Maybe he really is a guy you'd like to grab a beer with, but from a professional standpoint, he's the worst kind of person:  Someone who takes no accountability for himself and uses the media to throw everyone else under the bus.  Yeah, that's what a swell, fun guy does. 

I agree w/ mehta.  The bills are a 6-9 win talent.  Rex got them to the higher end of that.

lets say the bills hired dan quinn 2 years ago.  The bills would win 11 games and be a playoff team???  Not a chance.

Todd Bowles is a guy who took a 7-10 win team and coached them to 4 wins, not rex.

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree w/ mehta.  The bills are a 6-9 win talent.  Rex got them to the higher end of that.

They were 9-7 and had the # 4 ranked defense in the league the year before he arrived.  He went 8-8 and then 7-8, and the defense's ranking plummeted from the moment he showed up.  That's called regression, not "getting the most" out of the talent he was given. 

If Rex had a personality that allowed others to get any credit, the Bills would have kept Jim Schwartz as the DC.  Instead, Schwartz left to have some nice success with a pretty terrible Eagles team as DC, and Rex hired his brother to be the DC in Year 2.  Winning strategy right there.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So weird how the guy will say "It's on me" and "We'll fix this" every postgame press conference, trying to come off as humble and remorseful, then behind the scenes you'll see articles making every excuse in the book for him, as well as other mysterious reports after the fact about which failed draft picks Rex didn't want. 

He's the architect of his own PR, but does it in subversive fashion, and has for years.  Maybe he really is a guy you'd like to grab a beer with, but from a professional standpoint, he's the worst kind of person:  Someone who takes no accountability for himself and uses the media to throw everyone else under the bus.  Yeah, that's what a swell, fun guy does. 

He uses the media to play victim, and pander to low-brow supporters. While he manipulates and pushes his agenda behind the scenes. He says, "Hey, look over there" while he steals the last cookie off your plate. 

There are direct comparisons to be made with other highly public figures suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. Just sayin' these aren't good people.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They were 9-7 and had the # 4 ranked defense in the league the year before he arrived.  He went 8-8 and then 7-8.  That's called regression, not "getting the most" out of the talent he was given. 

The Jets in 2008 were 9-7, and in 2009 went 9-7 again. The difference is: the Colts benched their starters for Rex, while Mangini was a victim of Favre's selfishness. 

And I hated Manigni, but the facts are facts. He got fired because Brett hid his injury. No coach, not even Belichick was going to bench Favre and end that streak. Not over a sprain.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Jets in 2008 were 9-7, and in 2009 went 9-7 again. The difference is: the Colts benched their starters for Rex, while Mangini was a victim of Favre's selfishness.

And Mangini just set the world on fire HC with the Browns and DC in San Francisco

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

lets say the bills hired dan quinn 2 years ago.  The bills would win 11 games and be a playoff team???  Not a chance.

Todd Bowles is a guy who took a 7-10 win team and coached them to 4 wins, not rex.

totally agree, nothing wrong with what was said in the article. Right at this minute I would take Rex over Bowltite in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

totally agree, nothing wrong with what was said in the article. Right at this minute I would take Rex over Bowltite in a heartbeat.

Both are terrible, but Rex has been a HC for 8 years and has learned nothing.  Bowles, at least, still has time to improve.  Rex will never get another HC job again, unless a bunch of stupid Jets fans convince Woody to give him another shot. 

7 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Flaws and all Rex is a way more capable HC than Bowles.

Half the posters on this site could probably out coach Bowles

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Rex has literally never coached an NFL player, how do people keep ripping him when he has only had the chance to coach geriatric lesbians, so sad SMDH

13 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Well, you also think "Bowltite" is witty. 

Jet fans always want the last coach to fail, not the current one failing.

And they always want the backup, or next QB who hasn't failed yet, not the current one failing. 

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

What's the irrelevant point?  Mangini has sucked everywhere not just here

I wasn't making the case that Mangini is good.

I was illustrating that between 2008 and 2009, Rex didn't take the team any further. We got into the tournament, playoffs, because of the Colts. Not because Rex elevated the team. So, you making an argument that Mangini sucked everywhere, when nobody was saying otherwise, is in fact irrelevant. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

I wasn't making the case that Mangini is good.

I was illustrating that between 2008 and 2009, Rex didn't take the team any further. We got into the tournament, playoffs, because of the Colts. Not because Rex elevated the team. So, you making an argument that Mangini sucked everywhere, when nobody was saying otherwise, is in fact irrelevant. 

Well besides almost going to the super bowl with a rookie qb he did nothing your absolutely right

Actually Bowles coached them to 10 wins in his first season, a number WRECKS has reached once in his HOF 8 seasons as an NFL HC

Which puts Bowles 10 or better percentage at 50% vs WRECKS solid 12.5%

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

What's the irrelevant point?  Mangini has sucked everywhere not just here

you're using the fact that Mangini sucks to defend your pro Rex argument in this thread.  It's a completely irrelevant point in attempting to argue that the Jets should not have fired Rex.   IMO, Rex needed to be fired at least one, probably 2 years sooner.  He is an outright disaster.  Bowles is too, but there is no way we'd be better off if we let Rex linger another couple of years beyond his self-imposed expiration date.  Rex can only fool his team, fan base and ownership for a couple of years in most places.  The fact that he pulled the wool over our eyes for 4 years just shows how stupid Woody Johnson and some Jets fans can be.

2 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Actually Bowles coached them to 10 wins in his first season, a number WRECKS has reached once in his HOF 8 seasons as an NFL HC

Which puts Bowles 10 or better percentage at 50% vs WRECKS solid 12.5%

Y'know Rex has a better career winning percentage than Bowels?

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you're using the fact that Mangini sucks to defend your pro Rex argument in this thread.  It's a completely irrelevant point in attempting to argue that the Jets should not have fired Rex.   IMO, Rex needed to be fired at least one, probably 2 years sooner.  He is an outright disaster.  Bowles is too, but there is no way we'd be better off if we let Rex linger another couple of years beyond his self-imposed expiration date.  Rex can only fool his team, fan base and ownership for a couple of years in most places.  The fact that he pulled the wool over our eyes for 4 years just shows how stupid Woody Johnson and some Jets fans can be.

Not pro-Rex I just think he doesn't deserve the scorn and hate

He's responsible for 2 of the 3 best seasons I ever got to see as a jets fan.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles.....they all suck.  Stop quibbling over which suck less, and direct the anger towards the guy who played a direct hand in all 4 ending up Jets HC's:  Woody Johnson. 

They all sucked because none ever had a qb except for Mangina for half a season

Bowles is by far the worst but he's almost a victim because he's totally unqualified to be a head coach

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

SOOO lets review, in Rex's last 6 seasons as a coach he has never won more then 8 games and hasn't made the playoffs? Two of those seasons included a 12 an 10 loss season?

Yea sounds like a solid HC to me. Its everyone elses fault!

First 2 seasons 20-12

Last 6 seasons 41-54.

Jeff Fisher quality right there..

Archived