Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Dark era? Remember the 1970s?

Way things are going, with Woody getting lost in his own world thanks to his politics, Bowles and the rest of this crappy Coaching Staff being allowed to have jobs, and a dumb one read qb like Petty being our starting qb next year I could see us not making the playoffs again until maybe 2030 after Woody dies of old age or sells the team

Just now, drdetroit said:

Way things are going, with Woody getting lost in his own world thanks to his politics, Bowles and the rest of this crappy Coaching Staff being allowed to have jobs, and a dumb one read qb like Petty being our starting qb next year I could see us not making the playoffs again until maybe 2030 after Woody dies of old age or sells the team

So that is what you meant. You are starting now

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They almost fired him a year or two ago...I have no idea why. He really is a terrible coach. Franchise QB and still can't win the division title in the worst division in the league.

The Colts are just as big a mess as the jets are the only difference is they tanked one year and got Luck.

Irsay is almost as dumb as Woody.  Grigson is a horrible GM and Pagano is a nice guy but a lousy HC.  I live and work in Indianapolis no one there thinks Pagano and Grigson deserve to keep their jobs - and they've made the playoffs and gotten to a AFCG together unlike Bowles.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

The Colts are just as big a mess as the jets are the only difference is they tanked one year and got Luck.

Irsay is almost as dumb as Woody.  Grigson is a horrible GM and Pagano is a nice guy but a lousy HC.  I live and work in Indianapolis no one there thinks Pagano and Grigson deserve to keep their jobs - and they've made the playoffs and gotten to a AFCG together unlike Bowles.

They never try to add to the defense. The defense has been vanilla for years. TY Hilton/ Moncrief is a good WR combo. Dwayne Allen is a solid TE..I don't know what the issue is besides defense.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

there is a bright side.  if mac truly has a plan that includes bringing in good players and changing the team's culture then maybe it will all work out.  the thing is he will need some time to yield the results.  bowles may or may not be the coach.

Mac's strategy is go 0-16 next year, blame Bowles, tell idiot Woody who will be busy being the ambassador to Monaco that Bowles should take the fall and if he gets to pick Lamar Jackson in the draft at 1 overall he can bring the jets back.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

irsay is a dope.  he used to prance around the locker room doing weight lifting with his boyz while taking steroids.  he's matured a little since those earlier days but the damage is done.  the dolts made no bones about sucking for luck a few years back.  it may be a nice strategy but not exactly what the nfl wants from its teams.  even there the dolts are luck and not much else.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They never try to add to the defense. The defense has been vanilla for years. TY Hilton/ Moncrief is a good WR combo. Dwayne Allen is a solid TE..I don't know what the issue is besides defense.

the issue is that they haven't been able to get another freeney on the field at the same time with another bob sanders.  those guys made the sb defense go way back when.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They have tried to add to their defense.  Their defense sucks, their OL sucks, really the only FA the Colts added over the years that worked out was Gore.  They're badly coach and their GM makes dumb moves like trading a first round pick for a running back.

All Colts fans wish they could fire Pagano and get Bruce Arians back.  Literally all of them.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

irsay is a dope.  he used to prance around the locker room doing weight lifting with his boyz while taking steroids.  he's matured a little since those earlier days but the damage is done.  the dolts made no bones about sucking for luck a few years back.  it may be a nice strategy but not exactly what the nfl wants from its teams.  even there the dolts are luck and not much else.

The Colts keeping Pagano and Grigson for another year is almost as perplexing as the Jets keeping Bowels another year.

In the end it's simply a matter of bad ownership and management at the top.  Irsay is a drunken idiot rich kid.  Woody is just an idiot rich kid.

49 minutes ago, SBBound said:

Rex took over a 9-7 team and went 9-7 and then 11-5...flash forward six years later and he never broke .500 again. To be fair, he had exciting runs in 2009 and 2010.

Bowles took over a horrific 4-12 team and went 10-6 with a journeyman, internship prone QB - that is a hard thing to do by accident. He did not have good year at all this year...there is not debating it. But his journeyman QB crapped the bed and all of the key vets began to show their age at the same time 

I am looking forward to seeing how you figures this out.

His QB may have crapped the bed but so did his defensive line, secondary, offensive line, special teams, wide receiving corps, and just about every facet of this team. And, by the way, his journeyman QB went 10-5 last season and won 5 out of 6 games down the stretch, making coach look pretty good. Unfortunately, his journeyman QB could not overcome all the team's flaws this season, and truthfully, even top QB's would have trouble winning games with this squad. It is beyond uninspiring to think of this clueless coach walking the sidelines again next season. This is a guy who is supposed to be a defensive guru and his defense was nothing short of atrocious against the pass and so incredibly undisciplined game after game. In fact, there is not a thing I can think of that Todd Bowles did well in 2016. 

I still feel like this team has talent and can be decent next season, if they just half-fill a few holes and add a little leadership. 

I want to believe TB will grow as a coach just like a player would. He'll have to do some soul searching at the end of the season too and if he wants to do a better job next year work on himself and on his coaching... We'll see... I know a lot of people will push against him until he's fired so they can get the "I TOLD YOU SO!" in, but I think if you try to root for the guy you'll find that a little more satisfying.

Anyway we shall see. If they go 0-4, he's probably out... I hope that's not the case though. I really think this is a team that can be fun next year if they just figure a few things out... It's full of a little young and hungry talent and I just hope that outweighs the nonsense from some players we're seeing now. 

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_2042.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Like it or not Jets fans, it appears that head coach Todd Bowles, the man in charge of what has been a historically bad performance from a team that has been historically bad, will in fact return in 2017.

If this report from the New York Daily News is true, Woody Johnson hasn’t seen enough bad football out of the Jets this season to prompt him to make a move.

Bowles catches a break in what should be his fifth win of the season as the Jets prepare to take on first-round bust EJ Manual and the Buffalo Bills at MetLife this weekend.  Bowles, a defensive guru, has seen his team outscored by a total of 154 points this season despite a front-seven that’s loaded with first-round draft picks.

Only the Browns and 49ers have a worse points differential at -185 and -169 respectively.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

8O6YfFBL7s8

Click here to read the full story...

Woody is already making him Hire Rex as the D coordinator. He will look like a genius that the past two coaches he hired, together, can bring home the goodies.

Yep... that is what's in the works.

5 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

To be honest, this should have been what happened last year if Macc went the full rebuild route

What should have happened?  We should have not signed Ryan Fitzpatrick?  What would that have changed?  We sucked with him, we would have sucked without him.  Maccs past two drafts have not meaningfully improved the team.  That doesn't change despite the addition of a few veterans.  Nothing would be different.

I kind of expected this. Am I happy with it? Am I upset about it? I'm just kinda blah about it. If Bowles is retained I do think he will finish the season as head coach. I don't think He is head coach for 2018 though. Unless he drastically improves as a head coach in all ways Bowles does not finish out his contract.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

- Bowles got the QB he asked for, that's as much on him for asking for Fitz as it is on Mac for conceding and making it happen.

- Rex/Tanny/Idzik are still largely accountable for the lack of depth and overall talent on this team. This isn't an excuse for Mac. It's just a reality. You can't overhaul 45+ roster spots, which is truthfully what we were looking at when these guys were hired, in 2 off-seasons. No matter what the philosophy is behind your player acquisition.

- Injuries this year were beyond anything I've see for one team. This was a huge factor in exposing how much work still needs to be done to offset the damage of the Rex regimes.

- I think both men share responsibility for this mess, as do most of the schmucks they replaced.

- Bowles, not Mac, lost the team. That much is clear, these guys aren't playing for him, for pride, for anything. Again, that's partially the Rex culture coming back to haunt us, but it's also part of realizing the Bowles is a big-time players coach. In all the bad ways.

- You know I am not a Fitz fan.  But, Bowles was 100% correct, he gave us the best chance to win.  Seeing Bryce Petty out there kind of justified a lot of what Bowles did in my mind.  He said that he saw them in practice, and that was enough... Maybe it was.

- Yes, I completely agree.  I'm not down on Macc because we're not good.  I'm down on Macc because we're not better than we were two years ago.

- Agreed, except for the Mets this year, but that's a different sport.  But, most of the draft picks stayed healthy, and so again, it's not really about the results/record, but about the fact that the new talent is generally disappointing.

- I think that's fair, but switch Bowles out, and keep the same team, and I think you're generally in the same place.  Switch some of the players out (GM's job), and I think you could easily be in a better place.

- This is my main hang-up.  Though, I wonder how much of this is a combination of the media hyping this line and just having Wilk/Richardson, who apparently were dogs for some time.  But, yes, this and the over conservative strategies are my main concern.

With all of this said, I'm usually indifferent in firing of coaches.  The truth is, these guys all know a ton more about football than anyone reading this board, even those we've labels as "morons" or whatever.  Fire Bowles?  Fine, whatever, but I don't think it's the solution.  I mean, how many coaches/coordinators have we fired over the years and the results are generally the same?  Draft better, and we'll succeed.  Continue drafting poorly, and we'll continue to fail.

HECnLKVU_normal.jpg Andy Benoit (@Andy_Benoit)
#Jets  Film: Burris sensational 3-play solo coverage sequence in tight red zone coverage in 2ndqtr. Faced Mitchell, Hogan, Edelman
 #Jets Film: On failed 3rd-8 first series. Edelman uncovered on inside slot wheel route. Brady did not look to it. Rare mistake.
#Jets Film: LB Harris looked good as a between-the-tackles run defender.

10 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Going into the season we all knew the first 6 games were brutal. They played like an average team. The opponents were better and most were road games

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Dude no...KC beat us down 24-3 when we were in the red zone three or four different times!! That's not an average team. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's both of them. A HC can deserve to get replaced even with the right roster in place, and I know you agree. Here -- 

Fox in Denver:

• 2011 = 8-8 record (and even won a playoff game) with Tebow. 
  • 2012 = 13-3
  • 2013 = 13-3 (and a SB appearance)
  • 2014 = 12-4. Fired. 

Plus Fox was a previous SB coach with Carolina before that. He had a lot more ground to stand on than does Bowles. Still, Elway fires Fox in favor of Kubiak, and then:

• Peyton Manning turns into trash & can barely reach his WRs anymore
  • they lose TEs Julius + Tamme to FA & replace them with gimpy Owen Daniels
  • they dump Welker with his zillion concussions
  • on the OL: they lost Franklin & Montgomery in FA, then traded Ramirez during the draft, then Clady tore his knee in OTAs a month after that.
  • they lose starting FS Rahim Moore to FA. 
  • Ward missed 1/4 of the season, as did Wolfe. Ware fully misses 5 games and parts of others.

Kubiak would have had no shortage of valid excuses for Denver dropping to 9-7 (or worse) last year instead of winning the SB. 

This roster Maccagnan has furnished him with is an embarrassment - particularly in light of the major investments into it - but Bowles truly sucks on his own.

Of course a HC can deserve to be fired, even with a great roster.  That's kind of my point, if they're under-performing, or stagnating, then of course, maybe you look to find a guy that can maximize the talent, or bring something fresh.  All I'm saying is I'm not certain Bowles is really under-performing, or better yet, I'm not sure replacing Bowles makes a meaningful difference.  My feeling is 'meh,' but I guess I don't see what the point of keeping him this year, if you're just going to fire him next year, when we all know this team will not be successful next season.

2 hours ago, SBBound said:

Rex took over a 9-7 team and went 9-7 and then 11-5...flash forward six years later and he never broke .500 again. To be fair, he had exciting runs in 2009 and 2010.

Bowles took over a horrific 4-12 team and went 10-6 with a journeyman, internship prone QB - that is a hard thing to do by accident. He did not have good year at all this year...there is not debating it. But his journeyman QB crapped the bed and all of the key vets began to show their age at the same time 

I am looking forward to seeing how you figures this out.

Also in Rex's first year the Colts laid down for them to win and if that doesn't happen the Jets don't even make he playoffs.  I actually think that making the playoffs hurt the Jets that year because it made them over estimate the talent that remained!!

Remember this classic rant from the "Fat Man" he was right!!

25 minutes ago, gEYno said:

- You know I am not a Fitz fan.  But, Bowles was 100% correct, he gave us the best chance to win.  Seeing Bryce Petty out there kind of justified a lot of what Bowles did in my mind.  He said that he saw them in practice, and that was enough... Maybe it was.

- Yes, I completely agree.  I'm not down on Macc because we're not good.  I'm down on Macc because we're not better than we were two years ago.

- Agreed, except for the Mets this year, but that's a different sport.  But, most of the draft picks stayed healthy, and so again, it's not really about the results/record, but about the fact that the new talent is generally disappointing.

- I think that's fair, but switch Bowles out, and keep the same team, and I think you're generally in the same place.  Switch some of the players out (GM's job), and I think you could easily be in a better place.

- This is my main hang-up.  Though, I wonder how much of this is a combination of the media hyping this line and just having Wilk/Richardson, who apparently were dogs for some time.  But, yes, this and the over conservative strategies are my main concern.

With all of this said, I'm usually indifferent in firing of coaches.  The truth is, these guys all know a ton more about football than anyone reading this board, even those we've labels as "morons" or whatever.  Fire Bowles?  Fine, whatever, but I don't think it's the solution.  I mean, how many coaches/coordinators have we fired over the years and the results are generally the same?  Draft better, and we'll succeed.  Continue drafting poorly, and we'll continue to fail.

I agree with your last few lines very much, and when considered in the context of the current situation feel we were never going to see MAC drafts make a sizable shift until year 3. So, by that estimation, I guess I'll worry more next year. I just don't see 10 rookies and 2nd year players, only 4 of which come from early rounds, combining to lead this franchise out of their own way that quickly.

The league is more unfair to player development than ever before. It takes longer, needs to happen faster, and doesn't align to business or marketing goals,

36 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We haven't really seen above average drafting for the Jets since Mangini was here!

Dude no...KC beat us down 24-3 when we were in the red zone three or four different times!! That's not an average team. 

KC just beat down Denver, who are a bit above average. One of the toughest places to play in the NFL. Again, the Jets were a better team earlier on. Not great at all. They did beat the Ravens . They had a brutal schedule

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived