Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

IMG_2042.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Like it or not Jets fans, it appears that head coach Todd Bowles, the man in charge of what has been a historically bad performance from a team that has been historically bad, will in fact return in 2017.

If this report from the New York Daily News is true, Woody Johnson hasn’t seen enough bad football out of the Jets this season to prompt him to make a move.

Bowles catches a break in what should be his fifth win of the season as the Jets prepare to take on first-round bust EJ Manual and the Buffalo Bills at MetLife this weekend.  Bowles, a defensive guru, has seen his team outscored by a total of 154 points this season despite a front-seven that’s loaded with first-round draft picks.

Only the Browns and 49ers have a worse points differential at -185 and -169 respectively.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
8O6YfFBL7s8

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fine with it. 

I think I want him gone for numerous reasons, but I think I'm fine with it. id like to see growth from him and I hope I do.

i want Sheldon gone. I want ruthless cuts and a youth movement. 

I think. 

Its hard to be rational right now with how much anger I feel over this year, so I preface everything with "I think"

This team is going to be historically bad next year regardless of the HC.  We have holes at bot OTs, C, and Guard if Winters isn't resigned.  Our secondary is a disaster.  Still no pass rush, and still no QB.  Yes there's the draft and free agency.  But we will either be old, slow, and injured, or we are going to be an incredibly young and inexperienced.  Too many holes to fill in one off-season.

9 minutes ago, Pcola said:

This team is going to be historically bad next year regardless of the HC.  We have holes at bot OTs, C, and Guard if Winters isn't resigned.  Our secondary is a disaster.  Still no pass rush, and still no QB.  Yes there's the draft and free agency.  But we will either be old, slow, and injured, or we are going to be an incredibly young and inexperienced.  Too many holes to fill in one off-season.

Far too early to say that.  We'll be playing a last place schedule and Macc set up the salary structure where he can cut a bunch of guys and bring new ones in.  There is a real chance for a rebound next year if we play our cards right.  It might be fool's gold though as we followed up 10-6 with this crappy season.

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, especially given that it's only two years in.  I wouldn't have been too upset if he were fired, but I'm ok with another year to see how it goes.  In terms of it being "historically bad", that is just further evidence of how much Jets fans having nothing more than short-term memories, which is the same reason that we often see laughable praise for former Jets' failures.  Don't get me wrong, Bowles and the Jets have certainly sucked this year, but anyone who thinks it's historically bad for this team, clearly hasn't been paying attention.  If anything, this season has lots and lots of (not so) good company in Jets' history.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, especially given that it's only two years in.  I wouldn't have been too upset if he were fired, but I'm ok with another year to see how it goes.  In terms of it being "historically bad", that is just further evidence of how much Jets fans having nothing more than short-term memories, which is the same reason that we often see laughable praise for former Jets' failures.  Don't get me wrong, Bowles and the Jets have certainly sucked this year, but anyone who thinks it's historically bad for this team, clearly hasn't been paying attention.  If anything, this season has lots and lots of (not so) good company in Jets' history.

Exactly! One thing I've learned in my 50+ years of being a Jets fan is that you can never use the phrase "hitting rock bottom" and the Jets in the same sentence.:D

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If this story is true, look for another joke of a season--replete with tons of idiotic decisions by Bowles and his inept coaching staff--next year.  Please, dear Odin, let this rumor be untrue.  Banish Coach Bowles and his minions to Niflheim.

Well one bad season followed by a good season. Who knows but that's the way it's been playing out. I'd prefer to be positive but I know it can be unpopular here. 

13 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't see in the NY Daily News where Woody has decided to bring Bowles back.  All Mehta is saying is that Woody should give a vote of confidence.

Could could the standards and expectations of an organization get much lower?

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Far too early to say that.  We'll be playing a last place schedule and Macc set up the salary structure where he can cut a bunch of guys and bring new ones in.  There is a real chance for a rebound next year if we play our cards right.  It might be fool's gold though as we followed up 10-6 with this crappy season.

You're right.  We could cut all our aging vets and replace them with also old, higher priced free agents.  Short term fix.  Gets us competitive (barely) and still won't have a legit QB.

This team needs a full rebuild.  If the ownership and fans won't tolerate that, then we can continue the the last 6 years in a loop.

Its Myers and "changes are not anticipated" means little. I think the silence from Woody says this decision is not made. I believe when the season is over, the powers that be will sit down and discuss the changes that need to be made, ie players and coaching staff and maybe the power structure. 

Woody to Bowles, " you need to make changes in your staff and from this point forward you answer to Mac". If Bowles balks, hes out. Just my hunch.

35 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If this story is true, look for another joke of a season--replete with tons of idiotic decisions by Bowles and his inept coaching staff--next year.  Please, dear Odin, let this rumor be untrue.  Banish Coach Bowles and his minions to Niflheim.

THen he will be gone after next year.

There is no coach that will have this team at better than .500 next year...It's time to start over - again.

What you look for from Bowles next year is a team better prepared - are they in the right position and are they playing hard.  If so he should stay - if not then he'll be gone next year in '18...

One condition that would make me ok with this is a clear commitment to a full unadulterated rebuild.

Cut all the overpaid vets - Revis, Mangold, Gilchrist  Sign zero Free Agents over 30 years old.  Priorty invest  in offensive line (most free agency as draft is weak) to not kill Hackenberg or our top 6 pick QB next season. 

The problem will be that Bowels and Mac's jobs and future careers will be in the balance and their goals naturally will be self-preservation meaning while nearing the end of their contracts they will be looking to scrape together any short term wins rather than thinking primarily for the long term.  As we all know, make no mistake, this is a long term rebuild due to horrible drafting the past decade.

Archived