Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What a crock. The schedule early was not a complete cake walk, but it wasn't brutal either.

You misread the word "brutal".  The schedule was "brutal" by New York Jets standards.  If we were one of those 6 teams we wouldn't have been complaining, if we were the P-atriots we'd view that schedule as a cakewalk.

It is no surprise we went 0-5 against teams with legitimate quarterbacks.
It is no surprise we went 1-3 on the road.
It is no surprise we went 1-1 with our first 2 games in a 4 day span.

And the 3 toughest stadiums to play in-  at KC, at Pittsburgh, at Arizona-  we not only lost, we got annihilated.

What most of us (all of us?) said back in July was that in order for this particular team of aging vets and really young guys to make anything of this season was to get off to a decent start, get out of the gate 3-3 or so.  If not, they would not be able to withstand the adversity and media pressure of a 1-5 type open.  And we were right.  Sequencing was one of the most important factors here, we didn't get a chance to catch our breath before the season was over.  No easy games early, no chance to get to 4-2 and build some confidence.  Only 2 home games in, the year was over, the meltdown was underway.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You misread the word "brutal".  The schedule was "brutal" by New York Jets standards.  If we were one of those 6 teams we wouldn't have been complaining, if we were the Cheaters we'd view that schedule as a cakewalk.

And the 3 toughest stadiums to play in-  at KC, at Pittsburgh, at Arizona-  we not only lost, we got annihilated.

What most of us (all of us?) said back in July was that in order for this particular team of aging vets and really young guys to make anything of this season was to get off to a decent start, get out of the gate 3-3 or so.  If not, they would not be able to withstand the adversity and media pressure of a 1-5 type open.  And we were right.  Sequencing was one of the most important factors here, we didn't get a chance to catch our breath before the season was over.  No easy games early, no chance to get to 4-2 and build some confidence.  Only 2 home games in, the year was over, the meltdown was underway.

SAR I

The man with the urine stained beemer tires is right.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You misread the word "brutal".  The schedule was "brutal" by New York Jets standards.  If we were one of those 6 teams we wouldn't have been complaining, if we were the Cheaters we'd view that schedule as a cakewalk.

SAR I

No, I misread nothing.

1. The insinuation was, first, that the schedule was brutal. As in the whole schedule, with no qualifiers. Over and over it was repeated without qualification.
  2. Then when it's pointed out that 2/3 of the schedule was anything but, which is hardly newsworthy, then the comment was changed to, oh no it was the early schedule that was brutal. Not only that, but that it set the tone for the rest of the season, which is preposterous given the Dolphins getting out to basically the same 1-win start themselves. They were 1-4, with a lone, lucky OT win against the freaking Browns. 
  3. Now it's still pointed out that even the opening schedule - while not a 6 game long cakewalk - was still not "brutal" and a decent team could/should have still finished 3-3 or 4-2, now the next additional qualification is it's brutal by "Jets standards" whatever that means. 3 of the early games were against opponents who will finish with losing records.

A schedule is either brutal or it is not brutal, and our schedule was not.  We got "annihilated" because our roster is bad and our coaching is bad. Hell, we even got annihilated by a couple of teams that missed the playoffs outright before the final game, despite the Jets helping them along their merry way with easy victories.

The rest of your post is just a bunch of undeserved excuses. Kind of weak tea coming from someone who's repeatedly gone on & on for years about why no excuses should be provided to those previously running the team. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, I misread nothing.

1. The insinuation was, first, that the schedule was brutal. As in the whole schedule, with no qualifiers. Over and over it was repeated without qualification.
  2. Then when it's pointed out that 2/3 of the schedule was anything but, which is hardly newsworthy, then the comment was changed to, oh no it was the early schedule that was brutal. Not only that, but that it set the tone for the rest of the season, which is preposterous given the Dolphins getting out to basically the same 1-win start themselves. They were 1-4, with a lone, lucky OT win against the freaking Browns. 
  3. Now it's still pointed out that even the opening schedule - while not a 6 game long cakewalk - was still not "brutal" and a decent team could/should have still finished 3-3 or 4-2, now the next additional qualification is it's brutal by "Jets standards" whatever that means. 3 of the early games were against opponents who will finish with losing records.

A schedule is either brutal or it is not brutal, and our schedule was not.  We got "annihilated" because our roster is bad and our coaching is bad. Hell, we even got annihilated by a couple of teams that missed the playoffs outright before the final game, despite the Jets helping them along their merry way with easy victories.

The rest of your post is just a bunch of undeserved excuses. Kind of weak tea coming from someone who's repeatedly gone on & on for years about why no excuses should be provided to those previously running the team. 

I'm not seeing your point other than helping us kill an otherwise dreary post-Christmas Thursday.

The schedule was brutal for the Jets.  If we were a team that fears no one, like the Atriots, I don't think we'd have spent all summer debating how brutal the schedule was.  That was not an insinuation or qualified; it's just a matter of fact.  The type of team you are determines how hard/easy your competition is.  I think that's a truth that's self-evident.

Speaking for only myself, I was one of the somewhat optimistic ones who felt that if we could get off to a 3-3 start then we'd only have to go 1 game over .500 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and the playoffs, that only the two games against New England could stand in our way.  But I was also one of the ones stating quite emphatically that we were going to go 1-5 and it would be up to Bowles to hold the team together, it's how I got to my prediction of 7-9.

There are no excuses.  This team is the same as last year's team with 1) a harder schedule, 2) a brutal six-game open, 3) Fitzpatrick regressing, 4) bad risks on raw youngsters, 5) free agent acquisitions that underperformed who they replaced.  We are what I said last year and what I said this July-  a John Idzik 4-12 disaster in the middle of a 5 year rebuild.  I still believe that to be the case.  What I had hoped to avoid is upon us now-  a head coach that's called into question over leadership and a GM that's called into question over his QB selections.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm not seeing your point other than helping us kill an otherwise dreary post-Christmas Thursday.

The schedule was brutal for the Jets.  If we were a team that fears no one, like the Atriots, I don't think we'd have spent all summer debating how brutal the schedule was.  That was not an insinuation or qualified; it's just a matter of fact.  The type of team you are determines how hard/easy your competition is.  I think that's a truth that's self-evident.

Speaking for only myself, I was one of the somewhat optimistic ones who felt that if we could get off to a 3-3 start then we'd only have to go 1 game over .500 the rest of the way to get to 10-6 and the playoffs, that only the two games against New England could stand in our way.  But I was also one of the ones stating quite emphatically that we were going to go 1-5 and it would be up to Bowles to hold the team together, it's how I got to my prediction of 7-9.

There are no excuses.  This team is the same as last year's team with 1) a harder schedule, 2) a brutal six-game open, 3) Fitzpatrick regressing, 4) bad risks on raw youngsters, 5) free agent acquisitions that underperformed who they replaced.  We are what I said last year and what I said this July-  a John Idzik 4-12 disaster in the middle of a 5 year rebuild.  I still believe that to be the case.  What I had hoped to avoid is upon us now-  a head coach that's called into question over leadership and a GM that's called into question over his QB selections.

SAR I

Nope.

Back when you surely figured the schedule was going to be harder than it ended up being, even with the Jets missing the playoffs, and even without getting off to a decent start, you were still predicting a 7-9 or 8-8 record.

That 7-8 win prediction of yours was based upon Cincy & Arizona ending up as serious playoff teams again, which they aren't, and probably either Indy or Baltimore returning to the playoffs after a year off, which neither did. This would presumably change your own metric to being at least 8-8 if they only won one game over the 7-9 prediction, to a 10-6 record if they beat both these non-playoff teams over a prior 8-8. We have 4 wins.

You are making repeated excuses, followed by typing the words "There are no excuses" -- after which you proceed to enumerate a bunch of excuses.

The HC is called into question because he appears to be a bad HC. The GM is called into question because he appears to be a bad GM (not remotely because of his QB selections alone).

22 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I can't say I'm particularly surprised, especially given that it's only two years in.  I wouldn't have been too upset if he were fired, but I'm ok with another year to see how it goes.  In terms of it being "historically bad", that is just further evidence of how much Jets fans having nothing more than short-term memories, which is the same reason that we often see laughable praise for former Jets' failures.  Don't get me wrong, Bowles and the Jets have certainly sucked this year, but anyone who thinks it's historically bad for this team, clearly hasn't been paying attention.  If anything, this season has lots and lots of (not so) good company in Jets' history.

I know you're an old man and all, and clearly remember every Jets season even dating back to the Titans days, but in my 20 years of following this team, there hasn't been one this bad in that span, at least.  No team has straight up quit like this one did, and there's literally nothing likable about the team at all.  So while maybe you can't say its the worst season in Jet history, it's certainly near the bottom, and that says something, given just how many bad seasons this franchise has had. 

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I can't believe the litany of lame excuses

This franchise is headed to a dark, dark place

I hear you, brother. 

In all seriousness, despite all my comments, I do hope somehow the light does goes on for both of these two. First, because Bowles genuinely seems like a good person and I like rooting for good people. Maccagnan, because he's got the opportunity to clear a bunch of contracts to sign us up for new ones, so I hope he gets it right. 

Based on the past 2 years, though, neither of those desires I have seem likely to occur. I'm sure there will be cheers with the next batch of temporary-fix, expensive veteran acquisitions. We'll still end up well short of where we want to be, and the blame will again fall to the players instead of the man that brought them in at great expense.

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

I agree that the team has been terrible the second half of the season. The team is bad now. But if the Rams , Browns and 49ers were in the first half of the year , things would've began differently. Never would've lost the Ram game if Petty didnt play

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

There is neither evidence nor any concrete basis for this belief of yours, other than a fan's desire that it be so. Bad teams, like the Jets, are fully capable of winning 2-3 early games against doormats before reality comes and steps on them. There is never a shortage of teams that start out ok and then fade, and Fitzpatrick is obviously capable of blowing any football game, including against the Rams' top 10 pass defense. For all you know he'd have thrown 3-4 picks with one getting returned the other way. There are no "sure" wins with a bad QB, and any Jets fan should know this by now.

Some examples: Bills in 2011, Bills in 2012, Texans in 2014. Familiar QB starting for those teams. Then the non-doormats hit the schedules.

Also this year:

• the Eagles started out 3-0 (3-9 thereafter)
  • Buffalo 4-2 (3-6 thereafter)
  • Denver 4-0 (4-7 thereafter)
  • Minnesota 5-0 (2-8 thereafter)
  • Rams 3-1 (1-10 thereafter, with the lone win coming against the Jets)

Point being, no early starts guarantee anything beyond that early start.

With the Jets, even if you moved the games around, there would be no fairy tale. No happy ending. This team and its coaching simply was not good, and all belief to the contrary was based on a fluffy schedule a year prior, during which the team still ultimately failed. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hear you, brother. 

In all seriousness, I do hope somehow the light does goes on for both of these two. First, because Bowles genuinely seems like a good person and I like rooting for good people. Maccagnan, because he's got the opportunity to clear a bunch of contracts to sign us up for new ones, so I hope he gets it right. 

Based on the past 2 years, though, neither of those desires I have seem likely to occur. I'm sure there will be cheers with the next batch of temporary-fix, expensive veteran acquisitions. We'll still end up well short of where we want to be, and the blame will again fall to the players instead of the man that brought them in at great expense.

I'm sure Bowles is a nice guy in real life but he's not a NFL Head Coach.  Let him go back to Arizona

5 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I'm sure Bowles is a nice guy in real life but he's not a NFL Head Coach.  Let him go back to Arizona

Bowles is cannon fodder for 2017. Cut every overpaid oft injured veteran. Play the youngsters. Pick the best QB in the draft in 2018. Fire Bowles & get an offensive minded coach in here that actually has Head Coaching experience (Sean Payton?), hope that a DC like Schwartz or someone like him is available so Sean can concentrate on the offense & we can finally develop a QB or 2! Can you imagine the Jets actually in position to trade a QB for a 1st rounder?

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles is cannon fodder for 2017. Cut every overpaid oft injured veteran. Play the youngsters. Pick the best QB in the draft in 2018. Fire Bowles & get an offensive minded coach in here that actually has Head Coaching experience (Sean Payton?), hope that a DC like Schwartz or someone like him is available so Sean can concentrate on the offense & we can finally develop a QB or 2! Can you imagine the Jets actually in position to trade a QB for a 1st rounder?

We're looking at a 2-14 or 3-13 next season maybe worse with Bowles and Petty/Hack so you're probably right

The best part is it looks like Gailey is going to be the sacrificial lamb -- so Petty will have to take a break from Madden to learn a new playbook and Hack will have a new playbook to not learn

If Teflon Todd does escape this debacle with his job,  as I suspect he will,  bet the ranch that there will be no major changes to the Coaching Staff.  " Special Teams" coach, did that last year,  Defensive Coordinator, that's his boy, Offensive Coordinator, Bowles loves him, doesn't know/care a wit about offense. So what are we looking at? A "sacrificial lamb" offering of a line or positions coach?  That kind of change won't effect the tsunami of change needed for this team. This is EXACTLY why this non "Head" coach must be shown the door and the bus needs to be backed up as soon as possible. When the most passionate players on your defense are a marginal safety, and a rookie linebacker who has yet to find his way changes need to be made.  NOT dissing Leo, bye the way, he is golden.

't

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope.

Back when you surely figured the schedule was going to be harder than it ended up being, even with the Jets missing the playoffs, and even without getting off to a decent start, you were still predicting a 7-9 or 8-8 record.

That 7-8 win prediction of yours was based upon Cincy & Arizona ending up as serious playoff teams again, which they aren't, and probably either Indy or Baltimore returning to the playoffs after a year off, which neither did. This would presumably change your own metric to being at least 8-8 if they only won one game over the 7-9 prediction, to a 10-6 record if they beat both these non-playoff teams over a prior 8-8. We have 4 wins.

You are making repeated excuses, followed by typing the words "There are no excuses" -- after which you proceed to enumerate a bunch of excuses.

The HC is called into question because he appears to be a bad HC. The GM is called into question because he appears to be a bad GM (not remotely because of his QB selections alone).

Wait.  So saying the schedule is hard and saying we're going to go 7-9 and then watching us go 4-12 somehow means the schedule was easy?  That's your thesis?  If the schedule wasn't hard we'd have won more games.  The schedule was hard for these Jets.  That's what I said back in August, that's what I'm saying now.  It turned out the team was worse than even I expected, primarily because Fitzpatrick couldn't duplicate his prior performance against bad teams and Bowles couldn't get the team focused on winning games they had the ability to win.  Once they made the move to Geno all bets were off, certainly the last month thrown to Petty ends all rational conversation about a potential 7 win season.

If you clarify what exactly you're challenging me on beyond this I'll be happy to answer.

SAR I

After the half way point of this year the record was pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  The head coach did not do well in even a single thing you need to be good at or at least adequate as a head coach,  If he was decent even in one or two areas a person could use those to say he deserves more time.  He failed epically at everything,

On 12/28/2016 at 2:53 PM, kmnj said:

sorry but that is garbage-the next guy will come here for money and opportunity -if woody pays well they will be lining up

parcells came to NJ after everybody said nobody would want to com here and the team was TERRIBLE

Not really, Parcells got complete control. You rarely see that anymore, with analytics and business men involved everyone has a hand in the pot and the owners ear.

You're asking for ego's and $ to be sacrificed, large ask.

14 hours ago, SAR I said:

Wait.  So saying the schedule is hard and saying we're going to go 7-9 and then watching us go 4-12 somehow means the schedule was easy?  That's your thesis?  If the schedule wasn't hard we'd have won more games.  The schedule was hard for these Jets.  That's what I said back in August, that's what I'm saying now.  It turned out the team was worse than even I expected, primarily because Fitzpatrick couldn't duplicate his prior performance against bad teams and Bowles couldn't get the team focused on winning games they had the ability to win.  Once they made the move to Geno all bets were off, certainly the last month thrown to Petty ends all rational conversation about a potential 7 win season.

If you clarify what exactly you're challenging me on beyond this I'll be happy to answer.

SAR I

No, I did not say that. That is you rewording what I said into something completely different.

I said you predicted from 7-9 to 8-8 (if I have that correct). Part of that prediction of yours was surely based on playing an extra pair of "brutal" opponents in Arizona and Cincy. It turns out they weren't playoff teams, and certainly weren't "brutal" opponents. Had you known that at the time, it logically would have changed your preseason prediction to add another Jets win or two. Your upgraded prediction would have been 8-8 on the low end (if we only split them) to upwards of 10-6 based on the schedule we now know it to be.

This year's Jets schedule was not a "brutal" one. Hard schedules are not deemed to be harder or easier based on how good or bad our own team is. A schedule is a hard one or an easy one compared to other schedules; opponents are harder in comparison to easier opponents, not in comparison to whether or not our own team is better or worse. A bad team may still be bad enough to lose to not-so-tough opponents, but that doesn't mean the schedule itself was harder, let alone brutal.

When people deem a schedule as easy or hard, no one credibly looks at it as easy or hard for the Jets. Otherwise one would just weakly claim, "OK, we suck so badly that any schedule we faced could therefore be defined as brutal." What a crock. 

This was not a brutal schedule that the Jets just faced this year. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, I did not say that. That is you rewording what I said into something completely different.

I said you predicted from 7-9 to 8-8 (if I have that correct). Part of that prediction of yours was surely based on playing an extra pair of "brutal" opponents in Arizona and Cincy. It turns out they weren't playoff teams, and certainly weren't "brutal" opponents. Had you known that at the time, it logically would have changed your preseason prediction to add another Jets win or two. Your upgraded prediction would have been 8-8 on the low end (if we only split them) to upwards of 10-6 based on the schedule we now know it to be.

This year's Jets schedule was not a "brutal" one. Hard schedules are not deemed to be harder or easier based on how good or bad our own team is. A schedule is a hard one or an easy one compared to other schedules; opponents are harder in comparison to easier opponents, not in comparison to whether or not our own team is better or worse. A bad team may still be bad enough to lose to not-so-tough opponents, but that doesn't mean the schedule itself was harder, let alone brutal.

When people deem a schedule as easy or hard, no one credibly looks at it as easy or hard for the Jets. Otherwise one would just weakly claim, "OK, we suck so badly that any schedule we faced could therefore be defined as brutal." What a crock. 

This was not a brutal schedule that the Jets just faced this year. 

Yes, I had the Jets at 7-9 with 8-8 as their ceiling back in August.

When analyzing the schedule in the preseason, I believed we'd lose the Cincinnati game because they have had the same coaching staff since forever and thus would come out of camp better prepared than us, we also had the Thursday night game on our minds, didn't like the situation.

As for the Cardinals, I felt we'd lose because we suck on the west coast, it was the second of back-to-back road games, and after losing to KC (12-4), Seattle (10-5-1), and Pittsburgh (11-5) there was no way we were going to be in the mindframe necessary to win.

At no time in my calculations did I think that pulling off unlikely wins against these two teams would be incremental to 7-9.  Had we won these two games surely we'd screw up as we always do against bad teams like Cleveland or San Francisco.  When I make predictions, I do it in a very broad manner.  I look at last year's record, I look at how we won, I look at this year's schedule, I look at how we are going to get out of the gate, I look at how we are going to finish, I look at what players we lost, what players we added, the reliability of the QB, injury upside/downside, and come to a conclusion.  Far more often than not, by doing this at 10,000 feet I am almost always right. 

Whether "brutal" or not, the schedule the Jets faced this year was harder than last year by a mile.  Last year we played 1 team you could really call an NFL elite (NE x2).  This year we faced New England x2, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Miami x2, and Seattle.  That's 7 games against playoff teams.  It's a completely different animal.  You don't like "brutal".   Okay.  When was the last time we faced a schedule with 7 out of 16 games against eventual playoff teams? 

And, by the way, the number of games I felt were against "playoff caliber competition" back in August were at 7.  Swap Arizona and Cincinnati's failure for Miami's rise and we wind up in the same spot.

SAR I

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yes, I had the Jets at 7-9 with 8-8 as their ceiling back in August.

When analyzing the schedule in the preseason, I believed we'd lose the Cincinnati game because they have had the same coaching staff since forever and thus would come out of camp better prepared than us, we also had the Thursday night game on our minds, didn't like the situation.

As for the Cardinals, I felt we'd lose because we suck on the west coast, it was the second of back-to-back road games, and after losing to KC (12-4), Seattle (10-5-1), and Pittsburgh (11-5) there was no way we were going to be in the mindframe necessary to win.

At no time in my calculations did I think that pulling off unlikely wins against these two teams would be incremental to 7-9.  Had we won these two games surely we'd screw up as we always do against bad teams like Cleveland or San Francisco.  When I make predictions, I do it in a very broad manner.  I look at last year's record, I look at how we won, I look at this year's schedule, I look at how we are going to get out of the gate, I look at how we are going to finish, I look at what players we lost, what players we added, the reliability of the QB, injury upside/downside, and come to a conclusion.  Far more often than not, by doing this at 10,000 feet I am almost always right. 

Whether "brutal" or not, the schedule the Jets faced this year was harder than last year by a mile.  Last year we played 1 team you could really call an NFL elite (NE x2).  This year we faced New England x2, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Miami x2, and Seattle.  That's 7 games against playoff teams.  It's a completely different animal.  You don't like "brutal".   Okay.  When was the last time we faced a schedule with 7 out of 16 games against eventual playoff teams? 

And, by the way, the number of games I felt were against "playoff caliber competition" back in August were at 7.  Swap Arizona and Cincinnati's failure for Miami's rise and we wind up in the same spot.

SAR I

Miami is a paper tiger like the Jets in 2015. Good for them that they won 9 of their last 10, but they weren't clobbering great teams themselves. The best opponent they faced over the last 2 months was the post-bye Ravens (no powerhouse themselves) and Miami got utterly humiliated. They may have beaten Pittsburgh, but they always lose head scratchers every year (just like getting annihilated by the Eagles in week 3). The Dolphins are not a difficult opponent except for an awful team. As our respective schedules are so similar, Miami's a good example of how easy our schedule would have seemed if we weren't dog crap ourselves.

A decent team, which we aren't, has little trouble sweeping Miami. Hell, it took a 4th Q KOR TD for them to edge out a truly bad Jets team in November -- a team so bad that even Matt Moore dismantled us a month later. If the Jets sweep Miami instead of the other way around, Miami isn't a playoff team; they'd be 8-6 facing the Patriots, so there's that. So, Miami isn't a good team because so many teams that played them are awful.

This was not a brutal schedule. 3 of the first 6 games were against good teams; big deal. In the remaining 10 games, the only really good teams we faced were the 2 matchups vs New England. 

Usually when a coach stinks this bad you do not keep him around to give you a 5-11 season or a 6-10 season as a followup, because at the end of the next year you still will not know what you have.   And 5-11 or 6-10 is probably the best we can expect next year.  It is going to be a long slog.  Might as well bring int he new man now.

7 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Usually when a coach stinks this bad you do not keep him around to give you a 5-11 season or a 6-10 season as a followup, because at the end of the next year you still will not know what you have.   And 5-11 or 6-10 is probably the best we can expect next year.  It is going to be a long slog.  Might as well bring int he new man now.

I don't think the HC stinks, I think the team stinks. Whys are you conceding next year already? We went form 4-12 in '14 to 10-6 on '15.  Who knows what next year will bring?

53 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't think the HC stinks, I think the team stinks. Whys are you conceding next year already? We went form 4-12 in '14 to 10-6 on '15.  Who knows what next year will bring?

If they do it right, next year should be even worse than this year and that's a good thing. 

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

yes we do not have talent.  so next year will stink.  but the coach did everything wrong this year.  if I hear him say one more time that they handle things internally there I will sh*t.  Mo Wilk has been doing stuff all year that they have handled internally, and still are.  When a coach does everything wrong, regardless of talent, he should go.

Archived