Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

I feel the roster is not as dreadful as it seems. I think it's been upgraded, youth and talent wise. BUT, there are no playmakers on it, no ELITE players. This draft should remedy that somewhat. Or not...who knows?

I agree, we have zero playmakers at all. Even Marshall who was a very nice receiver, was not a home run threat, and this team desperately needs one. I think everyone hoped Devon Smith would turn into that playmaker, but he is having a hard time getting on the field, let alone being a playmaker.

This is what happens when you spend so many of your high draft picks on defense for so long, and none of those on pass rushers.

I do think there are a lot of holes on the roster, but I think your right on in that a few playmakers and many of those holes don't look so bad.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C Mart said:

There was also the perception that, by Ryan adding his twin brother to the staff and having essentially three defensive coordinators, there were simply too many cooks in the kitchen. During the Bills’ four-game winning streak early in the season, Ryan said defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman had assumed play-calling duties; but Ryan also said Rob was responsible for red-zone calls; then a few weeks ago, Ryan said he himself had been making calls all along. If they were winning, it wouldn’t have mattered, but when calls got in late, or players appeared to be confused about their assignments, this only heightened the scrutiny. You can understand that Ryan wanted to help rehabilitate his brother’s career, but instead, it ended up playing a role in hurting his own.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/12/27/

Fantastic thank you very much!

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if the team fires Bowles it sends a message to the next guy that anything but instant success will result in firing.

Which makes finding the next guy even tougher.  

Nonsense.  People need to forget about how many years should a guy have, do you need instant success and all of those lame formulas.  Keeping a guy who has done an awful job just so he can do an awful job the next two years so you can say, hey we gave him 4 years!  Is dumb.

I knew there was no way Bowles as going to be fired after this year but this is truly one of the cases where he could and should be fired with no worry about only two years.

He did not do one thing well this year as far as a head coach goes, he was terrible in everything.  When you are bad at every aspect of being head coach there is little hope you are going to be good in the future.  EVen Rex who I was very happy to see go still had a couple of things going for him when he got turfed.

I foresee another spin the wheels year next year, we will shed a bunch of players, bring in a bunch of new vets so that we can go 8-8 and see 'progress' all the while not truly rebuilding.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if the team fires Bowles it sends a message to the next guy that anything but instant success will result in firing.

sorry but that is garbage-the next guy will come here for money and opportunity -if woody pays well they will be lining up

parcells came to NJ after everybody said nobody would want to com here and the team was TERRIBLE

Fire him and fire him right after the next game

his team is terrible, he has made terrible coaching decisions and even worse his team does not respect him as shown in them not going to meetings and quitting on game day-I cant believe even one fan thinks he should be coming back

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

This HC is exactly what Johnson deserves.

Agree wholeheartedly ... Johnson actually deserves some other things (think old testament) as well.

Unfortunately .. we're co-recipients of his deserved sodomy

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Good, firing him be a knee jerk reaction to fans. They have a plan, stick with it

no firing him would be a reaction to his terrible performance and him loosing his team

I keep hearing about the "plan" was the plan to suck something so awful tickets go for $5 and have NO HOPE

Jets sadly just have to look at the Giants for how to properly run a team-they got rid of a guy that won two rings because it wasnt working anymore-we keep a guy because he is "new" even though the team regressed greatly and does not respect him and quit on him -

41 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you keep Bowles next year, you really ought to be giving him two more years.  Next year should rightfully be a debacle, but if the put a few pieces in place, maybe you let him see it through.  It's absurd to keep him just to fire him after a season we all know will be a disaster.  Also, I've generally shifted my opinion to thinking this falls more on Macc than Bowles.  No coach produces a winning record with this train wreck of a roster.

It's both of them. A HC can deserve to get replaced even with the right roster in place, and I know you agree. Here -- 

Fox in Denver:

• 2011 = 8-8 record (and even won a playoff game) with Tebow. 
  • 2012 = 13-3
  • 2013 = 13-3 (and a SB appearance)
  • 2014 = 12-4. Fired. 

Plus Fox was a previous SB coach with Carolina before that. He had a lot more ground to stand on than does Bowles. Still, Elway fires Fox in favor of Kubiak, and then:

• Peyton Manning turns into trash & can barely reach his WRs anymore
  • they lose TEs Julius + Tamme to FA & replace them with gimpy Owen Daniels
  • they dump Welker with his zillion concussions
  • on the OL: they lost Franklin & Montgomery in FA, then traded Ramirez during the draft, then Clady tore his knee in OTAs a month after that.
  • they lose starting FS Rahim Moore to FA. 
  • Ward missed 1/4 of the season, as did Wolfe. Ware fully misses 5 games and parts of others.

Kubiak would have had no shortage of valid excuses for Denver dropping to 9-7 (or worse) last year instead of winning the SB. 

This roster Maccagnan has furnished him with is an embarrassment - particularly in light of the major investments into it - but Bowles truly sucks on his own.

Good decision if this report is true. This was obviously a bad season. But after the very good season he and Maccagnan had in 2015 turning around a franchise that Rex and Idzik had virtually destroyed

With Coach Bowles back and Macc freeing up some cap space the results will definitely be significantly improved in 2017 and beyond

Good times await the real Jet fans that loyally support their team thru good and bad times.

Thank you Woody for not caving to the media jackasses and the fire everybody every season pitchfork wavers

Real Jet fans support you and know we are moving in the right direction for long term success

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t think they do have a plan, at all.  Or at least the gms plan is totally different than the coaches plan.

Hmm, have you given thought to THIS being the actual plan:

• Resign vets with expiring contracts
  • LOSE
  • Have excellent draft position and draft excellent players
  • Have fans accept a 'rebuild' whatever that means

I like this plan.

It would be a chickensh-t move by a chickensh-t owner to keep this chickensh-t HC.  

I have zero faith in Bowles ability to coach this team or make sound decisions on his staff.  His big move last year was to fire Bobby April for poor Special Teams play and he managed to hire someone who's been worse!

I can't stomach this guy anymore..  In the end the team is supposed to be entertaining and this is the least I've cared in as long as I can remember.

The silent and brooding bullsh-t only works if you're winning.  When you try and pull it off at 4-11 and the undisputed worst team in the league it's a farce.

The whole thing is a ******* joke.

They need to take this entire coaching staff and half the roster, shove them in a rocket, and blast it towards Alpha Centauri. 

get these ******* clowns OFF MY TEAM!

This is the right move. It gives Bowles a chance to fix this team and itself and gives us more time to find the right replacement if Bowles doesn't work out. I'm sure plenty of people are going nuts but the reality is that your dream coaches are spoken for. Coughlin is already connected to buffalo and jaxonville and harbaugh is not leaving Michigan. Peyton isn't swapping teams. On a side note none of these crazy qb ideas are going to happen either we are not getting bortles or cousins or brees or rivers or dak Prescott so let's just stop all this silliness and hope our team gets lucky through the next draft and off-season

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Good decision if this report is true. This was obviously a bad season. But after the very good season he and Maccagnan had in 2015 turning around a franchise that Rex and Idzik had virtually destroyed

With Coach Bowles back and Macc freeing up some cap space the results will definitely be significantly improved in 2017 and beyond

Good times await the real Jet fans that loyally support their team thru good and bad times.

Thank you Woody for not caving to the media jackasses and the fire everybody every season pitchfork wavers

Real Jet fans support you and know we are moving in the right direction for long term success

that his b.s-I am a real fan that has spend a few hundred thousand on the jets and have been going since 1974-my father since inception-real fans and paying fans skipped games this year-I have skipped three games more than I have missed in 30  years combined

Well every current and future coach must be rooting like nuts for Bowles now.  Because if Bowles does turnout to be successful, it will mean that having a year where you are absolutely dreadful at your job and fail at all of your responsibilities means nothing.

I'll root for the guy to do awesome if he's brought back, but damn, what does a guy have to do to get fired?

However if Bowles even so much as hints that he may want Fitz back because "he gives us the best chance to win", I'll kidnapp the guy myself and keep him locked away watching tape of decent QBs for a year.  Basically forcing Woody to replace Bowles with another coach.

I'd do 5 to 20 years to prevent one more year of $hitz.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Well every current and future coach must be rooting like nuts for Bowles now.  Because if Bowles does turnout to be successful, it will mean that having a year where you are absolutely dreadful at your job and fail at all of your responsibilities means nothing.

I'll root for the guy to do awesome if he's brought back, but damn, what does a guy have to do to get fired?

However if Bowles even so much as hints that he may want Fitz back because "he gives us the best chance to win", I'll kidnapp the guy myself and keep him locked away watching tape of decent QBs for a year.  Basically forcing Woody to replace Bowles with another coach.

he has a plan-his players quit on the team and dont show up to meetings he makes them captains

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

he wont play hack in an exhibition game because he does not want his confidence shaken lol might as well bring back fitz too-give him another year under the great system-let me start out the year with another post saying how awful fitz is and he should not have been brought back again

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Far too early to say that.  We'll be playing a last place schedule and Macc set up the salary structure where he can cut a bunch of guys and bring new ones in.  There is a real chance for a rebound next year if we play our cards right.  It might be fool's gold though as we followed up 10-6 with this crappy season.

Exactly, the Giants turned their defense around with a few solid FA signings and a few draft picks. I'm hoping ridding the locker room of the stale old malcontents may give this team a boost for next season. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Exactly, the Giants turned their defense around with a few solid FA signings and a few draft picks. I'm hoping ridding the locker room of the stale old malcontents may give this team a boost for next season. 

same giants that got rid of a hall of fame coach because they did not like the direction the team was going in ....

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's the first item on the offseason to do list. Two year evaluation period is over. All contracts are in a position to be cut up without major cap implications. Second item is to get Mo Wilk on a weight watchers program.

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

same giants that got rid of a hall of fame coach because they did not like the direction the team was going in ....

It was time for a change / new voice. Nothing against TC, who I really like, but it was a time for both sides.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Or we can replace them with smart pickups like what the Giants did this past offseason (e.g. Snacks, Janoris Jenkins, Vernon) and potentially sign a talented QB (e.g. Tyrod Taylor, Glennon, etc), draft well and have things turn around quicker than expected.

I realize we need a lot to go right and the odds are against that.  I'm just saying that it's far too early to determine that right now. 

Fwiw, I agree that we need a full rebuild and I'd like one.  Then again, in today's NFL, is there really such a thing?  By the time a player that you draft pans out, it's time for their 2nd contract and you might lose them in FA.  Belichick was a master of replacing players but he usually traded down and added draft picks.  The Cowboys are doing an outstanding job as well as they have Randy Gregory and Jaylon Smith still in the pipeline to an already dominant-looking team. 

What the Cowboys did the last several drafts is the opposite of what we did.  Tyron Smith, Martin, and Frederick were all first round picks.  The build the best OL and we take non-pass rushing DEs.  There is avery simple reason why Dak stepped into a great situation and has blossomed.  The same reason we keep stringing out.

Signing a 34 year old Whitworth solves our LT problem for maybe two years.  Problem is by the time we get a QB, we'll be looking for another LT.

I like Taylor and Glennon.  But a year or two too late on both.  Neither can succeed behind any potential OL we'll have.  Draft Robinson or Ramczyk and Pocic or Eflein and solve LT and C Just like we did in 06.  Play Petty and Hack.  If they are as bad or fragile as they appear, we bottom out next year and draft Darnold, Mahoney, or Browning.

This year's crop is too questionable.  Trubisky looks great but only one year as a starter, and Cleveland could take him #1.  Watson is inaccurate and not a pocket passer (so a major project).  Not sure Kiser is the answer either.  IMO, his ceiling is below average game manager.

17 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So did we. For all we know, the Giants will be in cap hell in 2 years

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Completely disagree.  It sends the message that being arguably the worst team in the NFL isn't acceptable with with a payroll that's touching the ceiling.

Hardly a demand for "instant success".

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Completely disagree.  It sends the message that being arguably the worst team in the NFL isn't acceptable with with a payroll that's touching the ceiling.

Hardly a demand for "instant success".

Name me a coach who won 10 games plus his first year and got fired after his second.

Why woUld any quality coach come to a place where winning 10 games the first year doesn't guarantee at least two more years.

People have to realize that coaches care more about their own situation rather than accepting losing

27 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If they get sucked into big contracts for anything outside of core positions that can help and be here in a rebuild, we are completely Fk'd. I am OK with them signing Glennon to a deal, but if they start shelling out big contracts to aging vets, we are totally screwed, because we have a much bigger problem than Bowles or Maccagnan, and that is that Woody is even more incompetent than I think he is.

I'm totally fine if they sign good, young players to FA contracts. They're going to make some cuts and will have room to spend. As long as he isn't going to use it on old bandaids that will seem to make him look good/smart for 1 offseason (or the better part of 1 regular season), I have no problem with the spending even as they head into a likely losing season again. 

Decker, for example, was a good veteran signing. Ditto Ivory, though he was picked up via trade. Same with Carpenter. At least that was the idea with Skrine & Gilchrist, though neither is worth the contract awarded. Mo would fall into that category as well, but MM should have known better since he surely knew what was going on behind the scenes. 

Woody's failures are well known. I think he gets credit (blame) for some things he had nothing to do with, but separately hiring the HC and GM - and then having each report to him separately - is incomprehensible. Maybe if he was a football guy - or historically successful at picking players & staff - rather than a football fan I could get past it, but holy crap with this already.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Decker, for example, was a good veteran signing. Ditto Ivory, though he was picked up via trade. Same with Carpenter. At least that was the idea with Skrine & Gilchrist, though neither is worth the contract awarded. Mo would fall into that category as well, but MM should have known better since he surely knew what was going on behind the scenes. 

The thing about that is if Mo had been doing that the whole of his career and been successful, why would he expect a drop off? I don't know if I worded this properly, so if you don't understand I will try to clarify

Archived