Report: Jets’ Bowles to Return in 2017

JetNation

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

People also have to remember the Jets were an average team the first half of the season and then the injuries hit. Not a ringing endorsement for Bowles, but things would be much better with a healthy team

It's like saying the food sucks but the chef is great. Good coaches find a way to get players to step up and find a way to maximize whatever it is they do well. Then everyone says, "Wow, the team has talent, the team has depth." Belichick lost his HOF superstar QB for four games and somehow got no-names Garoppolo and Brissett to impersonate the HOF superstar QB. They didn't miss a beat. 

When the Jets show up week after week unprepared, unmotivated, unfocused, undisciplined, FG kicker misses chip shots, etc., they aren't mentally coached properly. The food sucks because the chef sucks. And bringing in talent that's developed elsewhere doesn't fix the root problem.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's like saying the food sucks but the chef is great. Good coaches find a way to get players to step up and find a way to maximize whatever it is they do well. Then everyone says, "Wow, the team has talent, the team has depth." Belichick lost his HOF superstar QB for four games and somehow got no-names Garoppolo and Brissett to impersonate the HOF superstar QB. They didn't miss a beat. 
When the Jets show up week after week unprepared, unmotivated, unfocused, undisciplined, FG kicker misses chip shots, etc., they aren't mentally coached properly. The food sucks because the chef sucks. And bringing in talent that's developed elsewhere doesn't fix the root problem.

I stated the chef sucked. I also said nobody was calling for his head last season. So he must improve quickly, but I can understand if Woody doesn't want to start the coaching carousel yet

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

coach Todd Bowles was asked about his team’s effort level being a problem on Tuesday.

“Not at all. We’ve talked about it. It’s not the effort, it’s the concern,” Bowles said at a press conference. “Those are blown things that we blow week in and week out. That’s consistent. So those things make it seem like the effort isn’t there, but the effort’s there. Blowing same things week in and week out makes it seem worse than it is.

really, If this is not an indictment that this stiff should get canned then maybe I am living in the same alternate reality that the current occupant of the White House is.  I sure hope I am not....  

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Far too early to say that.  We'll be playing a last place schedule and Macc set up the salary structure where he can cut a bunch of guys and bring new ones in.  There is a real chance for a rebound next year if we play our cards right.  It might be fool's gold though as we followed up 10-6 with this crappy season.

This crappy season was a total surprise to everyone who thought the Jets might be halfway decent if Fitzpatrick could revive at least some of the magic of 2015. He - of course - did not and has had the worst statistical season of his career. Darrelle Revis - the linchpin of the secondary - went AWOL and had the worst season of his career. Mo Wilkerson played like a shadow of his 2015 form and rookies took quite awhile to get "up to speed" and some would say they haven't at all. It isn't all Bowles fault, but what I would say to Woody Johnson is how can a coach be so blind to the total lack of effort this team has given. He says guys have 'blown things' -  I assume he is speaking of assignments - but when the same players make the same mistakes over and over and are still trotted out there to do it again speaks volumes on how blind Bowles is to 'lack of effort'. Or maybe he is just a big fat liar trying desperately to cover his a$$. Also, how do you explain Fitzpatrick coming in so out of shape that he had the worst statistical season of his career? Maybe the fact that he knew Bowles wouldn't say anything - or better yet - do anything about it. That is reason enough right there to pull the plug on this head coaching pretender.

Don't like what I have seen from the CS this year at all. But Big Picture:you have a 10 win season and probably a 4 or 5 win season. Suspect for stability's sake Bowles is getting the benefit of a doubt unless there is something we don't know. Grant that stability for it's own sake might be throwing good money after bad. But you cannot keep blowing things up every 2 years and expect that will work. 

There have to be changes, period. Offense is too passive, defense underachieved, specials were worse than both. Bowles at a minimum has to come up with a plausible plan to fix things. 

The funny thing is that we are all getting worked up about a report based on a report on the Daily News. It would only be better had Manish himself had quoted another 'unnamed' source. It of course could be true, but then again, it could just be another mistake or made up piece. We won't know for sure until Black Monday. Enjoy the weekend.

7 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

The funny thing is that we are all getting worked up about a report based on a report on the Daily News. It would only be better had Manish himself had quoted another 'unnamed' source. It of course could be true, but then again, it could just be another mistake or made up piece. We won't know for sure until Black Monday. Enjoy the weekend.

Myers is quoting a source saying "they don't anticipate any changes." Not what I would call a guarantee.  As you say till after Sunday's game for a definitive decision.

11 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Bowles said he doesn't believe that to be the case. Despite the turmoil, he's not likely to be fired. Jets owner Woody Johnson is thought to be leaning toward retaining Bowles.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18367351/new-york-jets-teammates-irked-wr-brandon-marshall-half-rant‬

5 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

F that. Waste of time. This guy has no fire. Team has no direction and he CAN'T make halftime adjustments. Bad move. Need someone with focus and energy. 

They could literally hire anyone off the street and they would do a better job than Bowels.

But Woody doesn't care, just like Mike Francesa said, the results of the presidential race is all he cares about he probably told Bowles to botch the Colts game on purpose just to make Mike Pence feel good.

4 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

F that. Waste of time. This guy has no fire. Team has no direction and he CAN'T make halftime adjustments. Bad move. Need someone with focus and energy. 

This.

The most important trait of a head coach of a rebuilding team is the ability to draw a strong effort every day in practice, every game, every play.

If Todd Bowles can't succeed with the veterans assembled on this team now, just imagine how bad it will be going forward.   If he couldn't get the likes of Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall, and Matt Forte to assume leadership roles and lead by example, how is this going to work next year with all of them gone?   And what does this say about the malcontents who will be back next year, like Mo Wilkerson or maybe Sheldon Richardson. That what they got away with was justified, that their behavior is okay?  And what message does this send to free agents? Please come join our country club, we will pay you over your market value for you to perform under your market value?

Bowles has to go.   He has many flaws but the biggest is his inability to motivate and that is going to be job #1 next season. 

SAR I

45 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Gary Myers wrote the article though.

Can everyone please stop acting like this one 'source' holds any weight? 

EJ Manuel is going to tear us up en route to a 31-10 victory over the Jets and Bowles is going to be flushed. 

We need positive thinking guys. I already bet $100 on the 3.5 spread.

Worst case scenario:

Bring back Bowles

Sign Tony Romo

Draft Fournette

Keep Harris, Mangold, Marshall

go 8-8

keep Bowles in 2018

Romo gets hurt

Hackenberg sucks

go 4-12

fire Bowles

2019: we're stuck in the same situation as we're in today. This is the Jetsiest thing that can happen too.

11 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

KC just beat down Denver, who are a bit above average. One of the toughest places to play in the NFL. Again, the Jets were a better team earlier on. Not great at all. They did beat the Ravens . They had a brutal schedule

The Jets did not have a "brutal" schedule this year. 

• Cincy sucks. They've got only 5 wins and 1 came against the crappy Jets. 2 more vs the Clowns. The 5th against the Eagles in the middle of a 5 game collapse. Brutal, lol. 
  • We lost badly enough in the tough early games - against KC (who's kind of a paper tiger anyway), Pittsburgh, & Seattle - that the schedule excuse is lame.
  • Arizona isn't half the team they were a year ago, and they still blew us out of the water. 
  • Flacco barely made the field when we played the Ravens, who were already a slumping team on a 3-game skid. All 3 of their prior wins came against slumping/terrible teams in their own right. 

Most of our games were not tough matchups: the Rams, the Clowns, the 49ers, the wk 2 Bills (in disarray, having sideline meltdowns), the Bengles, the slumping Ravens, a Bills team tanking wk 17, the Cardinals, and the (otherwise) 6-win Colts. Even the 2 games vs Miami aren't exactly "brutal" matchups; the only half-decent team they've faced on their current run (post-bye Baltimore) absolutely anihilated them. 

Thats 11 games right there, where none were "brutal" matchups. In the 5 "brutal" ones we were so soundly beaten in 4 of them that the excuse rings hollow. That doesn't happen to half-decent teams; it happens to garbage ones.

You cannot credibly blame 2016's woes on the schedule. That's a cop out excuse.

• Cincy sucks. They've got only 5 wins and 1 came against the crappy Jets. 2 more vs the Clowns. The 5th against the Eagles in the middle of a 5 game collapse. Brutal, lol. 
  • We lost badly enough in the tough early games - against KC (who's kind of a paper tiger anyway), Pittsburgh, & Seattle - that the schedule excuse is lame.
  • Arizona isn't half the team they were a year ago, and they still blew us out of the water. 
  • Flacco barely made the field when we played the Ravens, who were already a slumping team on a 3-game skid. All 3 of their prior wins came against slumping/terrible teams in their own right. 
Most of our games were not tough matchups: the Rams, the Clowns, the 49ers, the wk 2 Bills (in disarray, having sideline meltdowns), the Bengles, the slumping Ravens, a Bills team tanking wk 17, the Cardinals, and the (otherwise) 6-win Colts. Even the 2 games vs Miami aren't exactly "brutal" matchups; the only half-decent team they've faced on their current run (post-bye Baltimore) absolutely anihilated them. 
Thats 11 games right there, where none were "brutal" matchups. In the 5 "brutal" ones we were so soundly beaten in 4 of them that the excuse rings hollow. That doesn't happen to half-decent teams; it happens to garbage ones.

KC is actually one of the best teams in the NFL. They swept the Raiders , their only 2 losses. Guess the Raiders are frauds as well

Just now, DetroitRed said:

KC is actually one of the best teams in the NFL. They swept the Raiders , their only 2 losses. Guess the Raiders are frauds as well

The Raiders are fine. Those weren't the only 2 losses; they also lost to the Falcons. They're fine, but for a 12-win team they're not exactly dominant, and one could argue they're fairly weak for a 12-win team. Go look at the competition they faced. The best teams they beat this year were the Osweiller Texans and the just-ok Broncos. The rest of them were losers.

KC kind of the similar in that regard. They got by Atlanta, who somehow choked away a game they had in the bag. When was the last time you saw a pick-2 (return on a 2 pt conversion) for the game winning score late in the 4th quarter? Credit them for winning not losing, of course, but that was a choke job by Atlanta. They won't be winning the SB this year, and it's doubtful they'll even be in it. Really no one would be amazingly shocked to see them go 1-and-done.

Regardless, winning a game against a good opponent doesn't make either one of them powerhouses. Look at the 2014 Jets: our sorry-ass 4-12 team beat the piss out of the 11-win Steelers (never mind the meaningless 80 yd TD with a minute remaining).

Oh yeah, and we didn't play the Raiders anyhow. We played KC, and they're tougher more than "brutal". Plus they kicked the crap out of us so what does it matter? If we'd scored more than a FG all game long then maybe you could make a case for complaining about the schedule. They beat us 24-3 (17-3 even without the late pick-6), and that's also despite a stupid rule erasing their possession on the 1 yard line. Even still, they were just playing over-conservative ball control all game long because they correctly knew they'd win so long as they didn't take unnecessary chances. When KC did pass a bit early-on, they did so with little difficulty.

15 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Bowles stays as it appears, we really need to have a major shakeup in the coaching staff - at a minimum I'd like to see Chan go but I'd also like to see a full time defensive coordinator brought in - the defense looked completely lost at times this season - lost to a level I've never seen in an NFL team before 

If we keep Bowles and the entire coaching staff, I'll be extremely disappointed 

I expect at least one of the OC or DC to be fired, perhaps both. 

58 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

The Jets had a brutal EARLY schedule, that set the tone for the year. Then the injuries hit. That was the point

What a crock. The schedule early was not a complete cake walk, but it wasn't brutal either. If we were good we'd still have been 3-3 (maybe 4-2) after the first 6 games. We sucked, so we started out 1-5 and even that was thanks to Buffalo's coaching meltdown. After that start with 3 very winnable early games, the schedule then got even lighter still.

Even if you somehow believed KC, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and NE are all unbeatable, there are/were still 11 very beatable opponents on our schedule. We have just 4 wins. Just like last year with 15 very winnable matchups, when we came away with 10 wins that so many so massively overrated us.

Tell us about the significant differences between our schedule and Miami's that make up for the 6 game disparity in our respective records despite our equal 1-4 starts. Best I can tell it's the same schedule other than 2 games.

Then tell us all why it's only if the Jets get out to a slow start it sets the tone for the year. However if the Dolphins start out 1-4 (with their lone early win a lucky OT squeaker against the Clowns), that doesn't set the tone for the year, and they can win 9 of their next 10. 

Enough with the excuses for this sorry roster and its sorry coaches. This is a bad football team.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Great points Sperminator

A better HC/QB combo and we are 8-7 or 9-6 and in the playoff hunt

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What a crock. The schedule early was not a complete cake walk, but it wasn't brutal either. If we were good we'd still have been 3-3 (maybe 4-2) after the first 6 games. We sucked, so we started out 1-5 and even that was thanks to Buffalo's coaching meltdown. After that start with 3 very winnable early games, the schedule then got even lighter still.

Even if you somehow believed KC, Seattle, Pittsburgh, and NE are all unbeatable, there are/were still 11 very beatable opponents on our schedule. We have just 4 wins. Just like last year with 15 very winnable matchups, when we came away with 10 wins that so many so massively overrated us.

Tell us about the significant differences between our schedule and Miami's that make up for the 6 game disparity in our respective records despite our equal 1-4 starts. Best I can tell it's the same schedule other than 2 games.

Then tell us all why it's only if the Jets get out to a slow start it sets the tone for the year. However if the Dolphins start out 1-4 (with their lone early win a lucky OT squeaker against the Clowns), that doesn't set the tone for the year, and they can win 9 of their next 10. 

Enough with the excuses for this sorry roster and its sorry coaches. This is a bad football team.

I can't believe the litany of lame excuses

This franchise is headed to a dark, dark place

14 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

His QB may have crapped the bed but so did his defensive line, secondary, offensive line, special teams, wide receiving corps, and just about every facet of this team. And, by the way, his journeyman QB went 10-5 last season and won 5 out of 6 games down the stretch, making coach look pretty good. Unfortunately, his journeyman QB could not overcome all the team's flaws this season, and truthfully, even top QB's would have trouble winning games with this squad. It is beyond uninspiring to think of this clueless coach walking the sidelines again next season. This is a guy who is supposed to be a defensive guru and his defense was nothing short of atrocious against the pass and so incredibly undisciplined game after game. In fact, there is not a thing I can think of that Todd Bowles did well in 2016. 

right and the defense performance is what everyone should be pointing fingers at.  yeah, fitz played over his head last season but this season the defense couldn't stop teams and gave the offense horrible field position.  it seems the defense was better at stopping a first down at third and short as opposed to third and long.

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We're going 0-16 next season. In the long run maybe it's for the better we get Lamar Jackson in the draft plus once Trump fires Woody from being ambassador he can focus on football and hire Harbaugh

Woody focusing on football is why we are in this mess.

I agree that the team has been terrible the second half of the season. The team is bad now. But if the Rams , Browns and 49ers were in the first half of the year , things would've began differently. Never would've lost the Ram game if Petty didnt play

Archived