cost to trade for jimmy garrapolo [sp]

jetfan39

n case any interested teams were wondering what the price tag for New England Cheaters quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo would be, now we have an idea.

On “Kirk and Callahan” on WEEI in Boston, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said the starting point in negotiations would be a first- and fourth-round pick. That’s what the Minnesota Vikings gave up for Sam Bradford a few months ago.

That price is fair, considering Bradford had proven to be mediocre – a trend that has unsurprisingly continued this year – and Garoppolo still has the mystery element to him. But would you give a first and fourth for Garoppolo?

Here’s what we know about Garoppolo. He has the pedigree of a late second-round pick. He has a sparkling 107.4 rating, but that comes over just 93 career passes. He has five touchdowns and no interceptions, and has generally looked good in his limited NFL action. He has played well within the Cheaters’ scheme, though there are moments you are reminded he’s very inexperienced (for more read these two Greg Cosell breakdowns here and here). ESPN has also said the Cheaters might not trade Garoppolo, but it’s just smart business for the team to put that message out there and protect his trade value. Maybe the Cheaters hold onto him, but let’s assume they’ll listen to all trade offers.

If you could just bottle up what Garoppolo has shown over 93 NFL passes and assume he’d keep doing that in a different environment for the next 10 years, you’d be thrilled to trade just a first and fourth for him. But we know that’s not guaranteed. Brock Osweiler had seven promising starts with the Denver Broncos last season, he was a former second-round pick and the Houston Texans gambled a big contract on him. That didn’t work out. Osweiler was benched for Tom Savage two games ago. No matter how good Garoppolo has looked in limited action, you’d be trading a lot for a player who will be making his third career start on opening day next season.

And unlike a potential Garoppolo trade, the Texans didn’t even have to give up any draft picks to get Osweiler. Garoppolo’s rookie contract is up after 2017, so a team would have to give up the picks in a trade and give him a mega-deal to him before he hits free agency – no team is sending a first- and fourth-round pick to New England for one year of Garoppolo. So a team has to understand it is investing valuable draft capital and perhaps an Osweiler-type contract (even if it doesn’t reach the $18 million a year Osweiler and Bradford got, it won’t be cheap), and is doing so on a quarterback who has 93 career passes. The risk is obvious.

So now that we know generally what the Cheaters will want when the trade window opens this offseason, teams in need of a quarterback have to ask themselves if Garoppolo’s small NFL sample size is worth a major commitment.

i doubt i would pay that price for a qb with his limited experience

No QB or team will succeed with a ghetto-jabbering HC like this ... 

"It’s not the effort, it’s the concern. Those are blown things that we blow week in and week out. That’s consistent. So those things make it seem like the effort isn’t there, but the effort’s there. Blowing same things week in and week out makes it seem worse than it is.”

No! 

All of their backups have been trash.  Garoppolo will be the same.  Normally I like to spell a player's name correctly.  If that is right, fine. If not, he isn't worth the 10 extra seconds to look it up. 

Let them swindle some other franchise.

Oh yeah... and Belicheat will trade within the division.   See Drew Bledsoe.

8 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Garropolo is better than those 2 losers

We have no way of knowing this at all.  Matt Flynn was another one.  Schaub wasn't bad for a few years.  We shall see no doubt some team will cough up a big price for an unproven guy from the pats system,

This means one of two things-
The pats don't think Garappolo is a franchise type player
or
Belicheck is packing it in after Brady quits and doesn't care who the Pats qb of the future is

Or option 3 that it doesn't matter who their qb is because their offensive line is permitted to hold on every play and their recievers can push defenders and use picks without fear of being flagged.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Why would the pats not want to keep a great qb prospect when brady is at the end of his career? 

Brady has already said he's playing until he sucks. He's still by far the best QB in the world and looks healthy.  You ride that b*tch out for another 3-4 years.

Well Belly isn't trading him here so it doesn't matter. And if Belly wanted to trade him here you can't take him because Belly wouldn't do that if Jimmy was going to be good.

Belly sees you when you are sleeping. He knows when you're awake.

I actually think he's going to be a legitimately good qb in this league.  On par with Mariotta.

He has good arm strength, excellent accuracy, and a totally elite release time.  From a IQ point, he has shown the ability to read defenses and has the smarts in learning the position and getting better.  He also has pretty good feet and athletic ability to scramble.  Pocket presence  isn't great yet, but it's gotten better each time I've seen him.

Hes worth much more than a first rounder, and I highly doubt the Pats give him up.

7 hours ago, SR24 said:

You could put any elite qb behind this offensive line and under this coaching staff of buffoons and they'd still fail 

^^This. At the same time Pats can put any QB in that system and make him look good. No QB has left the Pats and had success anywhere else in the Belichick era.   

His sample size is definitely too small so far. I mean BB made Matt Cassel look like an MVP that one year, before he fell back to earth when he left. If I'm a team going after JG I'd be worried about the same thing.

I'm sure they'll be asking for a 1st round pick though, and they might get it from someone.

10 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Flynn had one good half playing against the worst secondary in the NFL.

Garropolo had a good game facing a top 3 pass defense.

Big difference.

Where does Arizona rank in defense? How many points have they given up? 

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We have no way of knowing this at all.  Matt Flynn was another one.  Schaub wasn't bad for a few years.  We shall see no doubt some team will cough up a big price for an unproven guy from the pats system,

Schaub was decent.

Matt Hasselback was good.   That's about all I got.

Jimmy has a couple of starts. He has not proven he is worth that kind of a price. Chances are the way NEP operates they will try to trade him. If they believe Brady has at least two years left and he says he wants to play longer. Besides NEP won't trade with us. That is unless we gave them a boatload of talent and picks. And it was a completely lopsided deal. We are on the market for a starting Qb. I'd start with Tyrod and then work down. 

Archived