Two views of Todd Bowles

Ex-Rex

Both views were expressed in the Daily News by Manish Mehta - who advocates Woody Johnson giving Bowles a public vote of confidence, and Gary Myers who - like many Jets fans want Bowles fired. Manish's main argument seems to be that Bowles won 10 games in 2015 and therefore deserves a chance to prove 2016 was an abberation. Myers, on the other hand makes more plausible arguments for his dismissal. Myers points out that at 10-5 and needing to defeat Buffalo to get into the playoffs were notably flat. I noticed this too and I agree with Myers on that point. Manish says Woody Johnson will look impulsive and would make qualified candidates 'back away' from coming to the Jets. That argument is so dumb that I have a hard time believing it came from a professional reporter. When I watch Todd Bowles press conferences it makes me cringe with some of the things he says. He first said after the game against Indy that he felt the team's effort was in question, then when he realized how much that indicted him he backtracked and said the effort was there, but they didn't play smart. That also is an indictment of Bowles but of a lesser degree. I simply think Bowles was exposed as a head coaching pretender this season. It is easy to coach when players are having career years like Fitz and Wilkerson and a few others did in 2015, but a true test of a good head coach is when things go bad. Can he rally the guys to play inspired, tough football? Bowles is incapable of that. He - like another bad HC Rich Kotite - is of the belief that professional football should play hard because they are professional football players. That thinking may work on certain teams that have a foundation of winning and have players in the locker room that are true leaders, but it won't work with the Jets because they have neither of these things. These Jets are finger pointers of the highest order. Sheldon Richardson, and Leo Williams have stated players are going through the motions, or words to that effect. That is the biggest indictment of Bowles, along with other flaws like game management and the fact that his special teams coach and defensive coordinator suck. Mr. Johnson would look like he cares more about his team and the fans than what the media will think if he does the right thing and FIRE TODD BOWLES.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Gary Myers is a Jet hating Giants fan but I have to agree with him.

Bowles is a waste of time.  That said, maybe the bright side is if we go 0-16 next season we get Lamar Jackson and I might see a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

I really really hope you are never the Jets GM. Lamar Jackson is a run first QB. He basically is Cam Newton but much more frail and much more likely to get hurt. No thanks. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are going to be infinitely better pure pocket passers. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I really really hope you are never the Jets GM. Lamar Jackson is a run first QB. He basically is Cam Newton but much more frail and much more likely to get hurt. No thanks. Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are going to be infinitely better pure pocket passers. 

Ok.  I'll lump you in with the posters who said Jameis Winston was "100% lock to bust" just 2 years ago on this board

This franchise is cursed and headed to a very dark place for many years.  So root for Petty his ceiling might be a NFL JAG, or Hack whose ceiling might be special ED.

Meanwhile Brady and Eli will collect more rings.

10 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Ok.  I'll lump you in with the posters who said Jameis Winston was "100% lock to bust" just 2 years ago on this board

This franchise is cursed and headed to a very dark place for many years.  So root for Petty his ceiling might be a NFL JAG, or Hack whose ceiling might be special ED.

Meanwhile Brady and Eli will collect more rings.

Dr D - you need to step back. I deleted part of the post yesterday that had personal attacks in it. I had hoped you would realize that the words you were using are not acceptable. Calling people special needs, and the way you are doing it....not cool.

Beyond that though, your posts lately are brutal. Take a deep breath. Exhale.

It has been a terrible season but you have like a million one liners telling us all how much the Jets suck. Yes, we know it was a bad year. Repeating the same thing over and over again, is tough to read.

Archived