Romo a Jet??

jetsfellow

On 12/30/2016 at 6:50 AM, gEYno said:

Can you name one positive about Christian Hackenberg besides his body type?

I don't know the guy, I'm not around him all the time, I haven't seen practices or him play very much- other than what everyone else has seen. I am going by what I HAVE seen and heard.  

-He has experience and has shown success playing in a Pro Style offense.

-He has good work ethic, is a film rat, good character, good leadership traits. Just overall seems to have is head on straight and is a smart, hard, working kid with great leadership characteristics you look for in a QB. Coaches seem to love his attitude.

-He is able to take control of the offense, read the defense and make pre-snap adjustments.

-He goes through his progressions. This is one of the biggest things I noticed in the ONE pre-season game he played in. He actually goes through his progressions and if his #1 target is not there. Fitz still has trouble doing that and tends to force it to Marshall.

-He appears to be unfazed by the beating he took at Penn State due to the horrific O-line. Shell shock was one of my biggest concerns when the Jets drafted Hack. But in the one pre-season game where he actually played against NFL caliber players (albeit 3rd stringers). Hack showed that he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball with confidence. Yes, the throw may have been inaccurate or dropped or maybe he even ended up throwing an INT or taking a sack. But he didn't fold in front of a collapsing pocket. He looked down field. He didn't show 'shell shock'.

-He can make 'every throw'. This is talked about NFL QB prospects ad nauseum but Hack can throw the deep ball, he can throw the fade, he can gun it over the middle in a tight space, he can 'make every throw'.

So yes, Hack needs to and hopefully has been working on a number of weaknesses- accuracy, footwork, pocket awareness, learning NFL defenses, etc. Some of which are typical things rookies need to l;earn when entering the NFL. Others are more specific to Hack as a player. But when you look at him as a prospect. When you look at the measurables combined with the intangibles. He is a very promising prospect- IMHO. And his college resume (fairly so) has greatly hurt his draft stock and is very much the reason he is considered to be a 'bad pick' by so many fans. But it also doesn't tell the whole story and is not nec. representative of the type of player he can be at the NFL level.        

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we get done purging Clady, Mangold, Giacomini, BMarshall, Richardson, Revis, Henderson, and Gilchrist, we will be a very young team.  Doesn't make sense to get Romo who if the stars align and he can stay healthy, we probably win enough games to prevent us from getting our QB but too few to save anyone's job.

If I'm Woody, I say goodbye to all the high priced guys who aren't in the long term future of the team.  Win or lose, fans will go and see a young team that is developing and a draft away from their QB.  Look at Cleveland this year.

Fans will turn on an old, past their prime veterans dogging it for the paycheck.  Kind of like this past season.  Like 2014, and so many other seasons before that.

2 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Why would Romo want to go to the Jets when he could go to Denver and compete for a Super Bowl ?

Best landing spot for marketing and media exposure.  The Jets and Midgets always have that advantage.  

Maybe Romo doesn't care at all about some sort of media career after he retires, but if he does, nyc is hard to beat.

Still though, if the idea is to lose for the #1 overall pick, forget Romo.  Just give Fitz another one year deal.

I think the marketing and media thing is way overblown these days. (See Peyton, Brees, Aaron Rodgers)

I don't see Romo as a guy who wants to be a "brand"

He has made his money, I would think at this point in his career he would want a ring.

I could be wrong. 

I am not totally ready to go and toss Petty and or Hackenberg to the curb just yet. I would though like to see a vet in here. Just don't know if it is in the cards for the Jets in 2017.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:05 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Great player.

At his age, and his questionable health, the Jets should stay away from him. Especially if they plan on purging the roster anyway.

I'd much rather we purge the roster and sign a guy like Tyrod Taylor instead of Tony Romo if we're going to go that route.

JOE NAMATH IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN ROMO

Can you imagine all the Cowboy fans would show up to see Romo?

We'd be the laughing stock of the NFL

OOOPS we are the laughing stock of the NFL already.  I see Woody licking his chops for ROMO.

JETS just end the suffering

Amazing that any long term Jets fan would even mention Romo and the Jets together. How many old over the hill QB's are we going to waste time with before we finally learn to just say NO!!!'
There are just too many reasons to write why taking Romo will be a total waste of time.
There is one free agent QB the Jets should be targeting and that is Mike Glennon, period !!! If we can't sign him to a reasonable 3 year contract then we might as well, don't hate me, resign Geno and let Petty and him fight it out, loser backs up.
Yet, my first choice is a young Glennon with starting experience and chance for him to finally emerge from the shadows and lead a top NFL franchise. If he can pull it off, his earning potential is unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, PepPep said:

I don't know the guy, I'm not around him all the time, I haven't seen practices or him play very much- other than what everyone else has seen. I am going by what I HAVE seen and heard.  

-He has good work ethic, is a film rat, good character, good leadership traits. Just overall seems to have is head on straight and is a smart, hard, working kid with great leadership characteristics you look for in a QB. Coaches seem to love his attitude.

-He is able to take control of the offense, read the defense and make pre-snap adjustments.

-He goes through his progressions. This is one of the biggest things I noticed in the ONE pre-season game he played in. He actually goes through his progressions and if his #1 target is not there. Fitz still has trouble doing that and tends to force it to Marshall.

-He appears to be unfazed by the beating he took at Penn State due to the horrific O-line. Shell shock was one of my biggest concerns when the Jets drafted Hack. But in the one pre-season game where he actually played against NFL caliber players (albeit 3rd stringers). Hack showed that he can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball with confidence. Yes, the throw may have been inaccurate or dropped or maybe he even ended up throwing an INT or taking a sack. But he didn't fold in front of a collapsing pocket. He looked down field. He didn't show 'shell shock'.

-He can make 'every throw'. This is talked about NFL QB prospects ad nauseum but Hack can throw the deep ball, he can throw the fade, he can gun it over the middle in a tight space, he can 'make every throw'.

So yes, Hack needs to and hopefully has been working on a number of weaknesses- accuracy, footwork, pocket awareness, learning NFL defenses, etc. Some of which are typical things rookies need to l;earn when entering the NFL. Others are more specific to Hack as a player. But when you look at him as a prospect. When you look at the measurables combined with the intangibles. He is a very promising prospect- IMHO. And his college resume (fairly so) has greatly hurt his draft stock and is very much the reason he is considered to be a 'bad pick' by so many fans. But it also doesn't tell the whole story and is not nec. representative of the type of player he can be at the NFL level.        

Yeah, but I bet besides all those things you got nothing. Plus, he wasn't drafted by da Izdik! So according to him, he can't be good.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:31 PM, jetsfellow said:

Just saw some NFL jocks saying they think Romo could be a Jet next season? Discuss........

Remember these are the same Jocks that said Macc should have given Fitz 16+ million a year 9 months ago.  They talk from a teleprompt and not from between there ears.

What use would Romo be here with no Dallas line to protect him.  Remember he took those injuries the last 2 years under one of the best o lines in the NFL, just imagine how quick he would break in 2 up here!

On December 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM, jetsfellow said:

I too say pass on the human glass man and look at Tyrod Taylor or Glennon.Two stop gap qb's and possibly more and look towards the 2018 draft for a young stud and also . see what we have in Hack during the preseason.

I want Glennon but I'm starting to get concerned that the bills aren't cutting tyrod which means 4-5 teams bid on Glennon and his price is outrageous

We should have just traded our first rd pick for him last season instead of wasting $12 million on $hitzgarbage

I want Glennon but I'm starting to get concerned that the bills aren't cutting him which means 4-5 teams bid on Glennon and his price is outrageous

We should have just traded our first rd pick for him last season instead of wasting $12 million on $hitzgarbage

Please God somebody else destroy their franchise by signing the immovable Glennon Statue

On 1/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, PepPep said:

-- He has shown significantly more failure than success at the college level, and a demonstratively overrated first season.

-- Fair.

-- Have we seen any evidence to support this?

-- OK

-- Having the arm strength to make every throw doesn't mean you can make every throw.  His accuracy is exceptionally bad.        

11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is what I saw in the limited action he got in pre-season. 

11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

-- Having the arm strength to make every throw doesn't mean you can make every throw.  His accuracy is exceptionally bad.        

Arm strength has nothing to do with it. He can be very accurate. He is just maddeningly inconsistent with his accuracy. He has the skill to make every TYPE of throw is what I meant. He has touch. Just very inconsistent with his accuracy. 

2 hours ago, J-Diddy said:

DeFillippo is the leading OC and he happens to be an Air Coryell guy.  Hmmm... interesting same system ROMO is used to.

Its happening folks.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Unfortunately you may be right.  

Eagles denied Jets permission to interview their QB coach John DeFilippo for offensive coordinator job, per league source.

Just now, PepPep said:

Arm strength has nothing to do with it. He can be very accurate. He is just maddeningly inconsistent with his accuracy. He has the skill to make every TYPE of throw is what I meant. He has touch. Just very inconsistent with his accuracy. 

We'll have to disagree re: what we saw of him in the preseason.  I saw a guy who couldn't move the offense against 3rd stringers.

Accuracy is consistency, no?  Being accurate only occasionally sounds more like being lucky than being accurate.

35 minutes ago, gEYno said:

We'll have to disagree re: what we saw of him in the preseason.  I saw a guy who couldn't move the offense against 3rd stringers.

Accuracy is consistency, no?  Being accurate only occasionally sounds more like being lucky than being accurate.

Well, its fine to disagree. 

Accuracy, IMO, is being able to throw on target. Hitting the WR in stride or in a spot where only he can catch it, or hitting him right in his hands.

Consistency is being able to do something regularly.

I have seen some beautiful throws from Hack, tough, accurate throws- it was not luck. And I have seen some throws that go 2 feet over his WR and look like he is throwing it at nobody in particular.

He is very inconsistent with his accuracy and hopefully he has improved upon that.     

2 hours ago, thadude said:

I want Glennon but I'm starting to get concerned that the bills aren't cutting tyrod which means 4-5 teams bid on Glennon and his price is outrageous

They would have taken a second IMO.   I think Fitz coming back squashed that deal. 

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Well, its fine to disagree. 

Accuracy, IMO, is being able to throw on target. Hitting the WR in stride or in a spot where only he can catch it, or hitting him right in his hands.

Consistency is being able to do something regularly.

I have seen some beautiful throws from Hack, tough, accurate throws- it was not luck. And I have seen some throws that go 2 feet over his WR and look like he is throwing it at nobody in particular.

He is very inconsistent with his accuracy and hopefully he has improved upon that.     

That is the definition of an accurate throw.  But, just about anyone can make an accurate throw.  To be a good QB, you need to do it consistently.

Archived