Season grades for all 31 1st round picks

Jet Life

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Of course he could. But the Jets have a bunch of players who would thrive in one system and a bunch of players who would thrive in another. He's been trying to fit square pegs into round holes and I think that it has rubbed some of the defensive players the wrong way. 

Bowles has no fing clue what system he is playing that is the problem.  He is another I'm smarter than everyone else hybrid coach.  The jets were mostly a 3-4 team last year with a true NT.  Mac drafted two 3-4 olbs in jenkins and mauldin and went out and got bowles his small lb play maker.  Suddenly the two drafted guys are hardly playing, lee is now david harris apparently and shel rich is playing all over the place,

These fancy hybrid systems, (see rex) seem to put half the players in poor spots on half the plays.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know what's really great? The linebacker that the Falcons took literally right after we drafted Hackenberg is ******* awesome.

I also love all the people saying that OBrien and houston loved Hackenburg,  Houston traded up to get one spot in front of the jets in the 2nd round and took a friggin center,

FWIW, over the last couple of games, Lee's PFF rating has significantly increased:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nyj-ne-grades-brady-Cheaters-barely-challenged-by-jets/ Lee - 76.5

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mia-nyj-grades/ Lee - 74.5

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ne-nyj-grades-2/ Lee - 75.7

Lee is trending upwards after dealing with an injury earlier in the season. It's a funny thing about rookies, they actually improve sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I also love all the people saying that OBrien and houston loved Hackenburg,  Houston traded up to get one spot in front of the jets in the 2nd round and took a friggin center,

They had already committed their future into a 26 year old Osweiler. 

11 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Bowles is an idiot because Macc is getting him players ill equipped for his system? Really?

You think Macc didn't consult Bowles before drafting Lee?  Seriously?

Bowles wanted a NYJ version of Deone Buchanan of Arizona...speedy LB, 'Hybrid' LB/S.

Not sure he knows how to use him (since all I've been hearing recently is he's replacing Harris) or if he'll ever be that but....

Just now, greenwave81 said:

You think Macc didn't consult Bowles before drafting Lee?  Seriously?

Bowles wanted a NYJ version of Deone Buchanan of Arizona...speedy LB, 'Hybrid' LB/S.

Not sure he knows how to use him (since all I've been hearing recently is he's replacing Harris) or if he'll ever be that but....

I didn't say that and didn't imply it either. I wasn't referring to a single player but many of the defensive players that were brought in that don't seem to fit the scheme or players let go that were perfect for it or players that were retained when they shouldn't have been. 

14 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

But most of Idzik's guys stuck around for at least 1 year, too and these guys are indeed playing but they're playing on a 4-11 team.

The 12 pick draft really killed Idzik. His first draft was not all time horrible. Richardson, Winters. Bohannon (who was here for a couple of years)

They should have gotten more out of the next draft

I would say the problem is that we drafted Lee to be a big play guy. He's not, nor ever intended to be, the David Harris type that plugs holes in the running game.

Lee was drafted to be a big play hybrid player who gets the big sack-strip of the QB, the int when he the QB doesn't see him drop back into coverage, etc. He was supposed to be our disrupter, our sudden change guy, our scoop and score guy. He, remarkably, has had none of that. And he sure as hell won't ever be a gap stuffer. So tell me again what good he is, absent dramatic improvement. 

27 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Tackles are how David Harris has played for a long time. In fact learning tackling technique is getting harder in the league.

No. That's not how David Harris played for a long time in the NFL. The number of tackles are meaningless. Where you make the tackles, how you make the tackles, and when you make the tackles are more important. If a guy makes 15 tackles. It they're all after the running back has gained 4 yards who cares? I'd rather a guy make 5 tackles all within the line of scrimmage than 15 after a 5 yard gain. I think you just don't understand football st this point. 

Lee is not an olb, he has no pass rush utility and is way too light.  He is a hybrid safety/mlber that's used in nickel and sub packages.  He has shown good range and tackling ability, but his cover skills have been a disappointment.  fortunately thats teachable.

I'd like to see Lee play under a decent head coach and with a semi-functional Defense at the least before I write him off completely.

Bowles got nothing from his talent on D this year, in point of fact nearly every player on this Defense underperformed their talent materially.

Lets get a real Head Coach in there, and a real honest-to-god D-Co, and then lets see if Lee is worth keeping.

Till then, I refuse to judge a rookie playing in this sh*theap of a Defense with their level of poor coaching and leadership.

Imagine if we took a kicker in round 1.  Even if that kicker ended up the best kicker of all-time....would that make it a good pick?  Of course not.  That's what we're talking about here:  Asset allocation. 

Al Davis might disagree.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You know what's really great? The linebacker that the Falcons took literally right after we drafted Hackenberg is ******* awesome.

Deion jones was my sleeper pick last mock draft season I would have missed on him though because I would have tried to get him in the third round. Hack is the guy Mac wanted he didn't want to wait and possibly miss his chance at the kid maybe hack will end up being the better pick still.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived