Jump to content

17 FA QB's


kevinc855
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, we can go your route and sign someone like Hoyer and go 7-9 for the next 4 years instead and be in the same place in 2020 as we are right now with nothing to show for it.

That sounds fun.

Agree with your line of thinking.  However, Hoyer specifically would be a good QB to get us to rock bottom.  Dude is worse than Geno.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Though of course if Tyrod Taylor comes available everything in my post above is moot.  Go get him and let everything else play itself out. 

Either shoot for the moon when it comes to acquiring a QB or play the kids.  Getting a "meh" guy like a McGloin/Barkley/etc, with the expectation that he'll be the starting QB and/or take valuable practice snaps away from Petty/Hack, is not an option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Forcing this regime to make it work with Petty/Hackenberg is ideal in 2017.  That way we'll be able to properly evaluate Macc quickly.  If neither of the QB's he drafted are effective he and Bowles both need to go.  Bringing in a veteran QB to start would just delay that process.

I don't get it; picking a QB is the hardest thing for a GM to do; teams trade multiple picks to move up to get a sure fire QB and still miss out, but yeah, if Mac rebuilds the team and misses out on a 4th round QB and a 2nd round QB he should be gone...I love it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like I said, I'm all for going into 2017 with a cadre of young QB's with potential, and suffering till one clearly wins the job.  The alternative, recycling guys like Fitz, or experimenting with other teams versions of Geno Smith, is not something I want to see.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather suck rooting for and having hope that the sucking has a payout in eventually finding a new legit QB.  Plus, watching young QB's suck is more fun that watching someone like Hoyer or Fitz suck.

This is where I think we need to be moving forward.

No more Hoyer's, Sanchez', Griffin's, Fitzpatrick's.....fill in the scrub.  Let's have Petty, Hackenberg, and another draft pick lock horns.  Lets keep doing it this way until we find a QB.  When we do, let him start, and then keep drafting QB's for back-ups and potential starters down the road.

We will NEVER get anywhere until we figure out how to do the QB situation.  It worked at the start of this franchise finding Joe Willy....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2016 at 11:44 AM, Pac said:

Lets not re-sign the best QB we have on the roster in Geno and hopefully sign some other teams trash.  Good plan!

Sadly this line puts the Jets QB situation in its proper light. Geno Friggin Smith may very well be the best QB on the roster but that only means that this roster sucks QB wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agree with your line of thinking.  However, Hoyer specifically would be a good QB to get us to rock bottom.  Dude is worse than Geno.

But we are then falling for the same thing....**** it, if Hoyer can get us to the bottom, maybe Petty can too.  Lets let Petty, or Hack, or the next screw-up draft pick get us there.  Because MAYBE, they won't.  Maybe they will be IT.  But we won't know that putting Hoyer in, or Fitzpatrick, or any other bum anyone will suggest.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't get it; picking a QB is the hardest thing for a GM to do; teams trade multiple picks to move up to get a sure fire QB and still miss out, but yeah, if Mac rebuilds the team and misses out on a 4th round QB and a 2nd round QB he should be gone...I love it.

Yes.  Because he took 2 QB's with the eventual intent that Petty would be the backup and Hackenberg the starter.  That's a lot of draft capital to spend on QB only to watch as neither works out.  It's especially maddening when you see Dak Prescott come from last year's draft, and also with the knowledge that we could have traded up for Mariota in the previous year's draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

But we are then falling for the same thing....**** it, if Hoyer can get us to the bottom, maybe Petty can too.  Lets let Petty, or Hack, or the next screw-up draft pick get us there.  Because MAYBE, they won't.  Maybe they will be IT.  But we won't know that putting Hoyer in, or Fitzpatrick, or any other bum anyone will suggest.

 

So then there's nothing wrong with rolling with Petty.  At least we'll KNOW if he sucks or not and can move on as needed.

Name Petty the 2017 starter.  Bring Hack in midseason.  Pretty simple. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So then there's nothing wrong with rolling with Petty.  At least we'll KNOW if he sucks or not and can move on as needed.

Name Petty the 2017 starter.  Bring Hack in midseason.  Pretty simple. 

I like it.....I also hope they draft another guy as well....run with three QB's, one is inactive every week.

THIS IDEA TO BOWLES/MAC'S EARS!!!!!!

I wouldn't be getting rid of Mac though after two QB's....I give him a shot at 3-4 in 3 years....

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I like it.....I also hope they draft another guy as well....run with three QB's, one is inactive every week.

THIS IDEA TO BOWLES/MAC'S EARS!!!!!!

If we draft a QB for a 3rd straight year, it better be of the late round variety.

Ordinarily I'd advocate taking a QB every year until you find one, in whatever round makes sense to do so.  But this is a unique case.  No f*cking way I want this regime being allowed to invest another high pick on a QB until they prove they know what they're doing.  Best to allow the NEXT regime get the shot to take a franchise QB rather than stick them with 3 bums. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

A seemingly talented 10-6 team whose backup QB just has a career year and broke franchise records does not dump that QB for a guy with a total record of failure and attitude problems like Geno Smith, who was clearly on the outs with the franchise at that point, no matter what the deniers and Geno-fantasy-world folks continue to think.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather suck rooting for and having hope that the sucking has a payout in eventually finding a new legit QB.  Plus, watching young QB's suck is more fun that watching someone like Hoyer or Fitz suck.

Well the Jets would have been better off not signing Fitzpatrick. That part really isn't debatable any longer. He will cost 5 million against the cap next year, so that limits them, just as he limited them all year.

Geno Fantasy World folks? He was handed the starting job when Fitzpatrick showed what he really was. He got hurt. He didn't get benched for poor performance, he got hurt.

If Geno played all year and did poorly they could have dumped him and moved on the Petty. They could have still been developing Hack. But there would have been more practice reps with only 3 QBs. Heck, maybe Hack wouldn't have had to hang out with the long snapper and punter all practice and he could have actually throw a football to some wide receivers lol.

Signing Fitz was the mistake that keeps on giving. A lot of people were called names for suggesting that last year. The 5 million dollar cap hit next year is the parting gift.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Well the Jets would have been better off not signing Fitzpatrick. That part really isn't debatable any longer. He will cost 5 million against the cap next year, so that limits them, just as he limited them all year.

Geno Fantasy World folks? He was handed the starting job when Fitzpatrick showed what he really was. He got hurt. He didn't get benched for poor performance, he got hurt.

If Geno played all year and did poorly they could have dumped him and moved on the Petty. They could have still been developing Hack. But there would have been more practice reps with only 3 QBs. Heck, maybe Hack wouldn't have had to hang out with the long snapper and punter all practice and he could have actually throw a football to some wide receivers lol.

Signing Fitz was the mistake that keeps on giving. A lot of people were called names for suggesting that last year. The 5 million dollar cap hit next year is the parting gift.

Great post Maxman and being the person I am I blame this all on Macc who in my opinion has downgraded many positions on this team. 

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well the Jets would have been better off not signing Fitzpatrick. That part really isn't debatable any longer. He will cost 5 million against the cap next year, so that limits them, just as he limited them all year.

Geno Fantasy World folks? He was handed the starting job when Fitzpatrick showed what he really was. He got hurt. He didn't get benched for poor performance, he got hurt.

If Geno played all year and did poorly they could have dumped him and moved on the Petty. They could have still been developing Hack. But there would have been more practice reps with only 3 QBs. Heck, maybe Hack wouldn't have had to hang out with the long snapper and punter all practice and he could have actually throw a football to some wide receivers lol.

Signing Fitz was the mistake that keeps on giving. A lot of people were called names for suggesting that last year. The 5 million dollar cap hit next year is the parting gift.

It's not your money, so why does the money matter to you . . Oh, never mind, you covered that . Nice post.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Well the Jets would have been better off not signing Fitzpatrick. That part really isn't debatable any longer. He will cost 5 million against the cap next year, so that limits them, just as he limited them all year.

Yes, and if we judge every move via hindsight, the Jets would have been better off NOT FIELDING A TEAM IN 2016.:rolleyes:

Woulda saved alot of money for that 2017 cap right, saved us fan time, and frustration, so CLEARLY with the value of hindsight we KNOW we should have cut every player and forfeit every game.

We done being silly yet?  Just curious.

The decision was made at that time, not with "Lolpatmyselfonback" 20/20 hindsight we have now.  The decision at that time was absolutely the right decision, was universally considered the right decision by those in the know in the sports media, and just because a tiny minority of Geno Fantasy fans were still clinging to the Geno fair chance needs weaponz dream does not make it any less the right decision at that time.  Letting Fitz walk and handing the keys to the failure Geno after a 10-6 year and an very good offense.....be assured, had we done that, we'd be no better now, and both Bowles and Macc would be getting fired, no doubt in my mind.

The fact that it didn't work out is what it is, not every decision works out.  Just look at us blowing a 2nd on Geno Smith if you require an example, 4 years and nothing but embarrassment.  In four years Geno won us barely more games that Fitz did in one year.  

If we use that wonderful hindsight, we'd have been better off cutting Geno too for 2016 and replacing him with anyone else, after all what the hell did HE bring us in 2016?  A year developing some #3 kid > a year of Geno doing nothing then getting hurt right?

And 5 mil vs the cap.  Woe is us, there goes our 2017 Super Bowl, right?  Dear lord Max, come on.....

Quote

Geno Fantasy World folks? He was handed the starting job when Fitzpatrick showed what he really was. He got hurt. He didn't get benched for poor performance, he got hurt.

I'm sorry, I'm getting seriously bored with people who still think Geno didn't fail and fail badly in his tenure of here.  It's bordering on clinical at this point.

You want to keep believing the Geno dream, if only fair chances, and weapons, and injury isn't his fault and oh woes is us victim victim have at it.  It's pure distilled and dishonest fantasy, a bagful of woulda, coulda, shoulda dreaming and hindsight judgement that completely ignored the reality at that time those decisions were made.

You want Geno back in 2017 too Max?  Too bad, ain't happening.    

At least Fitz fans like myself admit our guy failed.  Geno fans, like Sanchez fans before them, refuse to do so......till Geno goes and sucks somewhere else for a while, then those former Geno Fans will quietly forget their Geno support and pretend it never happened when they move on the next thing.  Same Old Jets Fans.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes.  Because he took 2 QB's with the eventual intent that Petty would be the backup and Hackenberg the starter.  That's a lot of draft capital to spend on QB only to watch as neither works out.  It's especially maddening when you see Dak Prescott come from last year's draft, and also with the knowledge that we could have traded up for Mariota in the previous year's draft. 

We tried to trade up and couldn't - some team get lucky when they suck and there is a franchise QB there; some don't. It was too expensive.

Dak would suck on this team it is just bad. You can play hindsight and all, but it doesn't change the fact that Dak is playing being the best OL in the league and Petty the worst.

A 4th and a 2nd are NOT a lot of capital for a QB. The skins paid 3 firsts (or something like that) for RGIII. That is a lot of draft capital for a QB. Had we traded up for Mariotta, that would have been a lot of draft Capital. The Browns over the years have spent a lot.

A 4th for a QB that is likely going to be our backup (Pats used a 2nd BTW) and a roll of the dice with a 2nd is NOT a lot of capital. In fact, if you lock at the draft board points, a 2nd and a 4th doesn't add up to the 1st Denver spent on Lynch (not to mention the pick they had to trade to move up to get him) - who still isn't starting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well the Jets would have been better off not signing Fitzpatrick. That part really isn't debatable any longer. He will cost 5 million against the cap next year, so that limits them, just as he limited them all year.

Geno Fantasy World folks? He was handed the starting job when Fitzpatrick showed what he really was. He got hurt. He didn't get benched for poor performance, he got hurt.

If Geno played all year and did poorly they could have dumped him and moved on the Petty. They could have still been developing Hack. But there would have been more practice reps with only 3 QBs. Heck, maybe Hack wouldn't have had to hang out with the long snapper and punter all practice and he could have actually throw a football to some wide receivers lol.

Signing Fitz was the mistake that keeps on giving. A lot of people were called names for suggesting that last year. The 5 million dollar cap hit next year is the parting gift.

This team would have been laughed at if they didn't sign Fitz. That would be SOJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, and if we judge every move via hindsight, the Jets would have been better off NOT FIELDING A TEAM IN 2016.:rolleyes:

Woulda saved alot of money for that 2017 cap right, saved us fan time, and frustration, so CLEARLY with the value of hindsight we KNOW we should have cut every player and forfeit every game.

We done being silly yet?  Just curious.

The decision was made at that time, not with "Lolpatmyselfonback" 20/20 hindsight we have now.  The decision at that time was absolutely the right decision, was universally considered the right decision by those in the know in the sports media, and just because a tiny minority of Geno Fantasy fans were still clinging to the Geno fair chance needs weaponz dream does not make it any less the right decision at that time.  Letting Fitz walk and handing the keys to the failure Geno after a 10-6 year and an very good offense.....be assured, had we done that, we'd be no better now, and both Bowles and Macc would be getting fired, no doubt in my mind.

The fact that it didn't work out is what it is, not every decision works out.  Just look at us blowing a 2nd on Geno Smith if you require an example, 4 years and nothing but embarrassment.  In four years Geno won us barely more games that Fitz did in one year.  

If we use that wonderful hindsight, we'd have been better off cutting Geno too for 2016 and replacing him with anyone else, after all what the hell did HE bring us in 2016?  A year developing some #3 kid > a year of Geno doing nothing then getting hurt right?

And 5 mil vs the cap.  Woe is us, there goes our 2017 Super Bowl, right?  Dear lord Max, come on.....

I'm sorry, I'm getting seriously bored with people who still think Geno didn't fail and fail badly in his tenure of here.  It's bordering on clinical at this point.

You want to keep believing the Geno dream, if only fair chances, and weapons, and injury isn't his fault and oh woes is us victim victim have at it.  It's pure distilled and dishonest fantasy, a bagful of woulda, coulda, shoulda dreaming and hindsight judgement that completely ignored the reality at that time those decisions were made.

You want Geno back in 2017 too Max?  Too bad, ain't happening.    

At least Fitz fans like myself admit our guy failed.  Geno fans, like Sanchez fans before them, refuse to do so......till Geno goes and sucks somewhere else for a while, then those former Geno Fans will quietly forget their Geno support and pretend it never happened when they move on the next thing.  Same Old Jets Fans.

 

Got news for you, I thought Herman Edwards was a good HC and on to something but got sabotaged by injuries to Chad and a  poor support from management . How long has he been gone ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, and if we judge every move via hindsight, the Jets would have been better off NOT FIELDING A TEAM IN 2016.:rolleyes:

Woulda saved alot of money for that 2017 cap right, saved us fan time, and frustration, so CLEARLY with the value of hindsight we KNOW we should have cut every player and forfeit every game.

We done being silly yet?  Just curious.

The decision was made at that time, not with "Lolpatmyselfonback" 20/20 hindsight we have now.  The decision at that time was absolutely the right decision, was universally considered the right decision by those in the know in the sports media, and just because a tiny minority of Geno Fantasy fans were still clinging to the Geno fair chance needs weaponz dream does not make it any less the right decision at that time.  Letting Fitz walk and handing the keys to the failure Geno after a 10-6 year and an very good offense.....be assured, had we done that, we'd be no better now, and both Bowles and Macc would be getting fired, no doubt in my mind.

The fact that it didn't work out is what it is, not every decision works out.  Just look at us blowing a 2nd on Geno Smith if you require an example, 4 years and nothing but embarrassment.  In four years Geno won us barely more games that Fitz did in one year.  

If we use that wonderful hindsight, we'd have been better off cutting Geno too for 2016 and replacing him with anyone else, after all what the hell did HE bring us in 2016?  A year developing some #3 kid > a year of Geno doing nothing then getting hurt right?

And 5 mil vs the cap.  Woe is us, there goes our 2017 Super Bowl, right?  Dear lord Max, come on.....

I'm sorry, I'm getting seriously bored with people who still think Geno didn't fail and fail badly in his tenure of here.  It's bordering on clinical at this point.

You want to keep believing the Geno dream, if only fair chances, and weapons, and injury isn't his fault and oh woes is us victim victim have at it.  It's pure distilled and dishonest fantasy, a bagful of woulda, coulda, shoulda dreaming and hindsight judgement that completely ignored the reality at that time those decisions were made.

You want Geno back in 2017 too Max?  Too bad, ain't happening.    

At least Fitz fans like myself admit our guy failed.  Geno fans, like Sanchez fans before them, refuse to do so......till Geno goes and sucks somewhere else for a while, then those former Geno Fans will quietly forget their Geno support and pretend it never happened when they move on the next thing.  Same Old Jets Fans.

 

I don't want geno back. I am not patting myself in the back. You are the one labeling people.

I want what I wanted last year, a bunch of young qb's battling it out. Move on when a guy gives you a reason to.

Fitz gave them reason to, they just didn't listen. It was a terrible mistake. Hopefully they learn from it.

Bordering on clinical? Yeah, no personal attacks.

5 million pissed away is a big deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't want geno back. I am not patting myself in the back.

If you say so.

Quote

I want what I wanted last year, a bunch of young qb's battling it out. Move on when a guy gives you a reason to.

Then we agree.  

Quote

Fitz gave them reason to, they just didn't listen.

In 2015?  No, he simply didn't.  We were 10-6, were a win-now roster with older talent, and had just put out the best O we'd seen here since Vinny.

No professional NFL GM kicks that QB to the curb to play....Geno Smith.  

Geno, on other hand, had given the organization two horrendous years and a massive PR black eye with his immaturity and inability to pay his debts to unbalanced LB'ers.

If anyone "gave reason" to be cut last offseason, it was Geno Smith.  

Quote

It was a terrible mistake. Hopefully they learn from it.

I hope they learn from all their mistakes.

Quote

5 million pissed away is a big deal.

No, it simply isn't.  It won't make a lick of difference next year.  We will not lose a single meaningful player because of it and we won't lose a single game because of it.  

While I'd rather have it available than not, it's simply not the huge debilitating loss it's been portrayed as, the same way the Fitz signing, when considered at the time it was made, was not the so-called "huge mistake" only hindsight, and of course mass injuries, the worst defense in the NFL, horrible specials, and yes, Fitz horrible dropoff in play, have combined to make it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't want geno back. I am not patting myself in the back. You are the one labeling people.

I want what I wanted last year, a bunch of young qb's battling it out. Move on when a guy gives you a reason to.

Fitz gave them reason to, they just didn't listen. It was a terrible mistake. Hopefully they learn from it.

Bordering on clinical? Yeah, no personal attacks.

5 million pissed away is a big deal.

It's $12m not $5m for Fitz. The $5m is just an accounting line-item. But he cost the full $12m on the 2017 cap. That's the additional amount the Jets could spend elsewhere if not for re-signing Fitzpatrick. Not only wouldn't there be the $5m dead hole in the cap, but the spending limit would be another $7m higher. 

It's not that you aren't right; it's that you're more right than you realized.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's $12m not $5m for Fitz. The $5m is just an accounting line-item. But he cost the full $12m on the 2017 cap. That's the additional amount the Jets could spend elsewhere if not for re-signing Fitzpatrick. Not only wouldn't there be the $5m dead hole in the cap, but the spending limit would be another $7m higher. 

It's not that you aren't right; it's that you're more right than you realized.

Thanks. I am not a cap guru, but I think I understand what you are saying. And contrary to what others are saying, it is a big deal. Don't see how it is even open for discussion, signing Fitz was a huge mistake.

The signs were there. A QB that never made the playoffs keep his streak alive.

Jets blow playoff chance with 22-17 loss to Bills

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw interceptions on each of New York's final three drives and the Jets' playoff hopes were dashed with a 22-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

 

They should have moved on last year and given Geno\Petty\Hack\Anyone else a longer look. Because it was clear that the answer was never going to be Fitz. If the staff gets fired, I can't knock the move because they misread this situation so badly. Like I said though I hope everyone is back and that Bowles and Macc learn from this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've yet to see any support for why we should have gone with Geno.  Lots of after-the-fact back patting on Fitz, but nothing on why Geno was the right choice.   He was the worst QB in the NFL his two years as starter, then forced us to play Fitz (who had a 10-6 year and broken records here) because he was stupid and didn't pay his debts.

Even if you think it was "obvious" Fitz shouldn't have been resigned, why on earth should we have given the job back to Geno Smith, given his resume up to that point?

You (fairly) critique Fitz as "a QB who never made the playoffs", yet you think it was logical to give the team to Geno, a QB who'd never led a winning season or been anything other than the worst QB in the league?  Is the entire basis of your argument "well, Geno is young" and thus you ignore all the horrible he showed in three years?

Listen Max, I get it, Fitz failed horribly this year, along with our supposedly great defense, our running game, and our ability to not get injured.  The entire team took a massive step back in every phase of the game.  So the short-term gamble on the win-now roster failed, Fitz failed, everyone failed.  So in hindsight, as I said, it was a bad move (as was Revis, Forte and a host of other win-now moves).  Got it.

What I do not understand is what makes you think giving the team to Geno Smith instead, a proven bust and failure to that point, was the "right choice" and how we'd be better off today had we done that.    Takes a massive amount of optimistic theorycrafting to presume we're in any different a place now than we are had we done just that.  

Since you're so concerned about dead money, how much dead money is sitting on our defense for 2017?  Thats where I'd look for bad signings and underperforming players first, given it was supposed to be our best unit, the unit that won us games.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Thanks. I am not a cap guru, but I think I understand what you are saying. And contrary to what others are saying, it is a big deal. Don't see how it is even open for discussion, signing Fitz was a huge mistake.

The signs were there. A QB that never made the playoffs keep his streak alive.

Jets blow playoff chance with 22-17 loss to Bills

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw interceptions on each of New York's final three drives and the Jets' playoff hopes were dashed with a 22-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

 

They should have moved on last year and given Geno\Petty\Hack\Anyone else a longer look. Because it was clear that the answer was never going to be Fitz. If the staff gets fired, I can't knock the move because they misread this situation so badly. Like I said though I hope everyone is back and that Bowles and Macc learn from this.

It's more than that. For all the eye-rolling that went on when the "stat" of dropped interceptions was cited, whether it's for Fitz last year or Sanchez way back when, it is important for determining future likelihood of success or failure. Relying on the opponent's defense to repeatedly give you a Get Out Of Jail Free card, every time a pass is thrown directly at them, is not a sound plan. It is a plan that was as well thought out as saying, "Gee, I hope we get super lucky again."

What made it that much worse, as you're pointing out, is that such a commitment to bring him back, in the GM/HC/owner/a few players kissing his ass, plus the financial commitment as well, meant they were going to keep beating this dead horse until well into the season. There was no serious effort made to bring in any replacement for 2016, either through the draft, trade, or FA. So this "we had no choice" decision in July was borne of prior stupidity.

It's a foolish GM painting himself into a corner followed by complaining about a perceived predicament of being painted into a corner. Even painted into a corner, though, it was a bad decision, even in late July, and not merely a bad decision due to the benefit of hindsight. It not only made the team look weak, but it made the team's coaching staff and front office look weak over a bad player nearing the end of his forgettable career. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2016 at 11:39 AM, Snell41 said:

No. We have been running band aids from FA for years. We need to draft a guy in the first round. We finally have a top 5 pick, use it on a QB. Trade up if you have to. Every FA is garbage.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The problem is there isn't a QB to draft in the first round and if the Jets take one there it will be a MAJOR REACH. The kid will fail and the Jets will be worse off for it. Got to go FA market, there simply isn't any choice. There is no guarantee that Petty or Hackenberg will be the guy and I don't want Fitz or Geno Smith back, so it all adds up to taking a flyer on Jay Cutler in a trade or Mike Glennon (yuck) in a trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, and if we judge every move via hindsight, the Jets would have been better off NOT FIELDING A TEAM IN 2016.:rolleyes:

Woulda saved alot of money for that 2017 cap right, saved us fan time, and frustration, so CLEARLY with the value of hindsight we KNOW we should have cut every player and forfeit every game.

We done being silly yet?  Just curious.

The decision was made at that time, not with "Lolpatmyselfonback" 20/20 hindsight we have now.  The decision at that time was absolutely the right decision, was universally considered the right decision by those in the know in the sports media, and just because a tiny minority of Geno Fantasy fans were still clinging to the Geno fair chance needs weaponz dream does not make it any less the right decision at that time.  Letting Fitz walk and handing the keys to the failure Geno after a 10-6 year and an very good offense.....be assured, had we done that, we'd be no better now, and both Bowles and Macc would be getting fired, no doubt in my mind.

The fact that it didn't work out is what it is, not every decision works out.  Just look at us blowing a 2nd on Geno Smith if you require an example, 4 years and nothing but embarrassment.  In four years Geno won us barely more games that Fitz did in one year.  

If we use that wonderful hindsight, we'd have been better off cutting Geno too for 2016 and replacing him with anyone else, after all what the hell did HE bring us in 2016?  A year developing some #3 kid > a year of Geno doing nothing then getting hurt right?

And 5 mil vs the cap.  Woe is us, there goes our 2017 Super Bowl, right?  Dear lord Max, come on.....

I'm sorry, I'm getting seriously bored with people who still think Geno didn't fail and fail badly in his tenure of here.  It's bordering on clinical at this point.

You want to keep believing the Geno dream, if only fair chances, and weapons, and injury isn't his fault and oh woes is us victim victim have at it.  It's pure distilled and dishonest fantasy, a bagful of woulda, coulda, shoulda dreaming and hindsight judgement that completely ignored the reality at that time those decisions were made.

You want Geno back in 2017 too Max?  Too bad, ain't happening.    

At least Fitz fans like myself admit our guy failed.  Geno fans, like Sanchez fans before them, refuse to do so......till Geno goes and sucks somewhere else for a while, then those former Geno Fans will quietly forget their Geno support and pretend it never happened when they move on the next thing.  Same Old Jets Fans.

 

I'm glad we resigned Fitzpatrick so guys like you can't use the "we should've resigned Fitzpatrick" excuse. And for the record no Geno supporter I've seen claims that he was good, but he's a young QB who's shown something that warrants giving him a look with better coaching and better weapons. Consider that he looked good/decent with a healthy Decker and later on in the season when they added Harvin. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's more than that. For all the eye-rolling that went on when the "stat" of dropped interceptions was cited, whether it's for Fitz last year or Sanchez way back when, it is important for determining future likelihood of success or failure. Relying on the opponent's defense to repeatedly give you a Get Out Of Jail Free card, every time a pass is thrown directly at them, is not a sound plan. It is a plan that was as well thought out as saying, "Gee, I hope we get super lucky again."

What made it that much worse, as you're pointing out, is that such a commitment to bring him back, in the GM/HC/owner/a few players kissing his ass, plus the financial commitment as well, meant they were going to keep beating this dead horse until well into the season. There was no serious effort made to bring in any replacement for 2016, either through the draft, trade, or FA. So this "we had no choice" decision in July was borne of prior stupidity.

It's a foolish GM painting himself into a corner followed by complaining about a perceived predicament of being painted into a corner. Even painted into a corner, though, it was a bad decision, even in late July, and not merely a bad decision due to the benefit of hindsight. It not only made the team look weak, but it made the team's coaching staff and front office look weak over a bad player nearing the end of his forgettable career. 

Probably a good thing for the Falcons that they did not use dropped interceptions to make any decisions about Matt Ryan last year to this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I've yet to see any support for why we should have gone with Geno.  Lots of after-the-fact back patting on Fitz, but nothing on why Geno was the right choice.   He was the worst QB in the NFL his two years as starter, then forced us to play Fitz (who had a 10-6 year and broken records here) because he was stupid and didn't pay his debts.

Even if you think it was "obvious" Fitz shouldn't have been resigned, why on earth should we have given the job back to Geno Smith, given his resume up to that point?

You (fairly) critique Fitz as "a QB who never made the playoffs", yet you think it was logical to give the team to Geno, a QB who'd never led a winning season or been anything other than the worst QB in the league?  Is the entire basis of your argument "well, Geno is young" and thus you ignore all the horrible he showed in three years?

Listen Max, I get it, Fitz failed horribly this year, along with our supposedly great defense, our running game, and our ability to not get injured.  The entire team took a massive step back in every phase of the game.  So the short-term gamble on the win-now roster failed, Fitz failed, everyone failed.  So in hindsight, as I said, it was a bad move (as was Revis, Forte and a host of other win-now moves).  Got it.

What I do not understand is what makes you think giving the team to Geno Smith instead, a proven bust and failure to that point, was the "right choice" and how we'd be better off today had we done that.    Takes a massive amount of optimistic theorycrafting to presume we're in any different a place now than we are had we done just that.  

Since you're so concerned about dead money, how much dead money is sitting on our defense for 2017?  Thats where I'd look for bad signings and underperforming players first, given it was supposed to be our best unit, the unit that won us games.  

 

There is some delusion that Geno was going to magically get it this year, and all that was holding him back was a lack of weapons. The reality is he is an immature dickhead who most of his teammates hate passionately. We live in the fantasy football/Madden era, where that does not matter. Except in real life, it does matter. Fitz sucking does not make Geno any better. In fact, the one game Geno got his chance, he left injured on a bone head play, losing the game, and Fitzpatrick and all his suckiness had to bail him out and win the game. Fitz sucks, Geno sucks worse really the end of the story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is there isn't a QB to draft in the first round and if the Jets take one there it will be a MAJOR REACH. The kid will fail and the Jets will be worse off for it. Got to go FA market, there simply isn't any choice. There is no guarantee that Petty or Hackenberg will be the guy and I don't want Fitz or Geno Smith back, so it all adds up to taking a flyer on Jay Cutler in a trade or Mike Glennon (yuck) in a trade.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...