Brandon shell

Jets Daily Dosage.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, #bman said:

Well Shell is a starting RT next year, Burris is a starting CB, Anderson will be in the mix at WR. If Lee takes a big jump it wasn't a terrible draft.

Lee can make the jump, I really believe that... Shell will be in the spotlight too because of the pick it cost them this coming year... They'll be talking about him a lot this offseason when they review the Jets draft and mention why they don't have a 4th.

He has been getting help, but he's played the role really well... If they can adequately solve the RT position it opens them up to spend money and picks on other ends.

I'd love to see them get Cam Robinson in this draft... If you come out of back to back drafts with good starting RT and a good starting LT, that's a pretty good couple of years...

11 minutes ago, #bman said:

Well Shell is a starting RT next year, Burris is a starting CB, Anderson will be in the mix at WR. If Lee takes a big jump it wasn't a terrible draft.

If it all plays out like this, to me it would be More than...it wasn't terrible. It would be a very good draft.

21 minutes ago, #bman said:

Actually Anderson was a FA, but during that draft class, so I guess it counts.

If you take into account that Jenkins may latch on and our punter, while not great at all, has potential it is a better than average (and certainly better than Jets typical draft). Peak is a long shot but may stick. And heaven forbid that Hack becomes a middle of the road QB in 2 years, this draft would be damn good. It is looking better than the Idzik most players out of the league in 2 years draft :-)

13 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Lee can make the jump, I really believe that... Shell will be in the spotlight too because of the pick it cost them this coming year... They'll be talking about him a lot this offseason when they review the Jets draft and mention why they don't have a 4th.

He has been getting help, but he's played the role really well... If they can adequately solve the RT position it opens them up to spend money and picks on other ends.

I'd love to see them get Cam Robinson in this draft... If you come out of back to back drafts with good starting RT and a good starting LT, that's a pretty good couple of years...

Mcc reasoning for trading '17 4th for Shell was the Jets FO believes they will get a '17 comp pick in the 4th.

So they got their own '17 4th a year earlier while still getting a '17 4th 

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Actually Anderson was a FA, but during that draft class, so I guess it counts.

If you take into account that Jenkins may latch on and our punter, while not great at all, has potential it is a better than average (and certainly better than Jets typical draft). Peak is a long shot but may stick. And heaven forbid that Hack becomes a middle of the road QB in 2 years, this draft would be damn good. It is looking better than the Idzik most players out of the league in 2 years draft :-)

and '15 draft...Harrison washed out..Smith are Petty are still TBD. However, it seems so far MM hit on Leo, Mauldin and Simon

31 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What we need is to quit blaming the current regime for the last 40 years . It took 40 + years to create this mess, but a new regime is supposed to fix it in 1 yr . 

I didn't expect them to fix it in a year - but, after two years, I certainly would expect to see the team in a better position than when they took it over. 

It's nice to have some occasional good news coming out of this team.  The Shell pick was pretty poorly received, even if not quite as much as some of the others, and got extra criticism for trading a pick next year to get him, but if he can keep this up and improve from here, it will certainly have been well spent.  Even if only a couple of games, you're hardly expecting any starts out of a rookie 5th rounder, and he seems to be doing better than any of the three other veterans who played the position before him.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn't expect them to fix it in a year - but, after two years, I certainly would expect to see the team in a better position than when they took it over. 

I think they actually ARE in a better position. Younger at LB, at least. Better and younger at WR. Baby steps for sure. But the record could have been better this year with better performance from key vets. They didn't get it and now they can jettison those guys.

Better draft position.

Does it seem like we've been above average (compared to other teams) with our later round picks, but probably below average with our early picks?  I think our 2nd round horror has been well-documented.  But our late round picks are pretty decent, going back to Brad Smith and Leon Washington in the 4th IIRC, and Bilal in the 5th I think?

Just now, thshadow said:

Does it seem like we've been above average (compared to other teams) with our later round picks, but probably below average with our early picks?  I think our 2nd round horror has been well-documented.  Going back to Brad Smith and Leon Washington in the 4th IIRC, and Bilal in the 5th I think?

Our 1st rounders have been average if you judge fairly. Our 2nd rounders have been the equivalent to most teams 7th round picks. Maybe a little worse. 

Just now, phill1c said:

Based on what? needing to post a uniquely negative opinion?

I don't think saying he projects to guard is a negative opinion.  I think he can be a great guard.  Basically I think his potential is more of a mauler inside than at tackle.....he hasn't filled out yet or been in a true  weight program very long.  When he does, he can be an elite guard while I don't think he has quite the upside potential at T

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mcc reasoning for trading '17 4th for Shell was the Jets FO believes they will get a '17 comp pick in the 4th.

So they got their own '17 4th a year earlier while still getting a '17 4th 

Oh interesting, thanks for the info! I completely missed that! Oops...

So that's suddenly not so bad, if that works out.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Our 1st rounders have been average if you judge fairly. Our 2nd rounders have been the equivalent to most teams 7th round picks. Maybe a little worse. 

It may turn out that way, but to be fair, Smith was hurt for over a year, and Hack was never going to get to play. Right now they look like a nightmare (and likely for better or worse, Smith will be buried on the depth chart) but if Hack turns out to be a starter, he will be a steal. If he sucks - yeah the 2nd round busts will continue...

51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He looks like he is showing real imporvment form pre season, he's the one that got petty killed the 1st time.

I still think that was either on the center or Petty. The ball seemed to be snapped on an earlier count than anyone else realized. Neither tackle moved, that is just strange. Petty said it was his fault.

Awesome! I have been watching Shell here and there during the games and he seems to play to the whistle on every snap. There were quite a few runs where he took out defenders on all three levels. Very excited about his future on this team.

11 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I think they actually ARE in a better position. Younger at LB, at least. Better and younger at WR. Baby steps for sure. But the record could have been better this year with better performance from key vets. They didn't get it and now they can jettison those guys.

Better draft position.

This is a very good point. And Macc didn't mortgage the future. He can walk away from most of these contracts.

3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Oh interesting, thanks for the info! I completely missed that! Oops...

So that's suddenly not so bad, if that works out.

as reference.

"As the draft unfolded, the player slid to a point where we felt it would be worth investing and trading a [2017] fourth-round pick to get the player we liked in the fifth round," GM Mike Maccagnan explained. "We took the player now from an investment standpoint and gave up a fourth-round pick going forward.

"Some of that also had to do with the fact that we had compensatory picks that we’re projected to have next year after what happened in free agency. We’ll still potentially have a fourth-round pick next year that’s a compensatory pick. We just used it a little bit earlier this year. We didn’t actually trade the compensatory pick. We traded our actual draft pick we have in the fourth round next year."

Maccagnan thinks Shell has "a lot of ability and potential. We thought from a value standpoint where we took him was very good. He’s a big, long athletic offensive tackle who has the chance to potentially develop into a good backup, possibly a starter in time. He’s like a lot of players. He probably needs some work. We’re excited about where we took him and felt the investment for making the trade was well worthwhile."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Trade-Up-Take-T-Brandon-Shell-in-Round-5/bd5a5107-7a3e-4771-9fc6-9b9793a72ca4

54 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What we need is to quit blaming the current regime for the last 40 years . It took 40 + years to create this mess, but a new regime is supposed to fix it in 1 yr . 

Ok, if by regime you mean our current GM and his staff.  Just leave Bowles out of it.  

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I still think that was either on the center or Petty. The ball seemed to be snapped on an earlier count than anyone else realized. Neither tackle moved, that is just strange. Petty said it was his fault.

WJohnson has taken blame..He had the wrong snap count

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Wesley Johnson watched his quarterback writhing on the turf and knew it was all his fault.

Bryce Petty was sandwiched last Saturday by Miami's Cameron Wake and Ndamukong Suh while throwing a pass in the New York Jets' 34-13 loss, suffering a bruised chest that looked to be a lot worse at first. X-rays and a CT scan were negative, and Petty will start Saturday at New England.

Petty, coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Chan Gailey all called the play a "miscommunication," but Johnson shouldered the blame.

"I appreciate them all saying it was a 'miscommunication,' but yeah, I snapped it early," Johnson told The Associated Press on Thursday. "That's why none of the other guys were moving."

In replays, the ball is seen snapped by Johnson — starting in place of the injured Nick Mangold — to Petty, but the rest of the offense line doesn't appear ready to block . That left Wake and Suh with clear lanes to Petty in the backfield.

"That was a mistake that turned into a bad one," Johnson said. "It was on me"

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

But it is, and that's what the fans need to realize . Sometimes, before you can go forward, you have to take a step back .Last yr  we entered the season with an Old OL, no QB , issues at WR depth, issues at the TE position  and inexperience in the linebacking core . Due to injuries and our record, lots of young guys got playing time and experience and some have shown promise .

Last yrs OL :

LT -  Clady  -  over 32 and off injured

LG - Carpenter -  27 and solid

OC - Mangold - over 31 and off injured

RG : Brian Winters - huge question mark

RT : Rotational  -  injured Giacomini  was our fail safe .

Next yr potential OL :

LT - Who knows

LG - Carpenter - Solid

OC - Johnson - developing nicely

LG - Winters - developing nicely and needs a contract

RT : Shell : developing nicely

The TE position has some nice prospects in ASJ, Tomlinson and Bowman  compared to what we started with last yr

The WR core is young, fast, with a mixture of size and experience .

QB is still a mess, but what else is new .

The defensive line is in flux, but I think really solid . We have some young players that were injured early who showed promise

There are about 20 guys on our roster starters and vets who are over the age of 29  or at 29, and we can do without every single 1 .The team is changing and getting younger, and developing nicely . We're experiencing growing pains .

48 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

This might be a perfect draft to trade down a bit to grab Robinson however there are quit a few high end free agent olineman available idk how mac does it but he's got to get this oline rebuilt

16 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Better draft position.

Not to be argumentative but he took the team over with a massive amount of cap space and flexibility and, for the most part, doled out bad contracts to old vets. 

Next year this team is going to be awful - at least it should be as all bad actors the old, slow, vets need to be cut - and this team needs to start from scratch.   Marshall, Richardson, Mangold, Harris, Giacomini and Revis all need to be cut.  It didn't need to be this way had Mac managed free agency, the draft and cap in a more efficient way.

Do you think we can actually let some of these youngsters develop? I can't believe how critical this fan base is in regards to rookies. I understand that Idzik f*cked us royally but Maccs picks have not been terrible (contrary to some on this board).

Shell looks like a player, comes from awesome stock & might just lock up our RT spot. He's already better than Breno & he's barely gotten his feet wet. Burris has made plays & plays his azz off! That was a BS holding call in the endzone last week, kid has grit & toughness. Butler was SMOKED as a rookie in New England but kept fighting & got better & better, that could happen for Burris.

Lee is playing along side another rookie (Jenkins) and probably the slowest starting LB in the NFL in Harris (Had Idzik listened to Jet fans Vontez Burfict would be here as an UDFA) and we wouldn't be paying Harris a zillion dollars.

The one thing that we all didn't expect this year is the absolute HUGE FALLOFF from the veteran players. Revis, Harris (I knew he was done last year), Mo, Sheldon, Gilchrist, Skrine, Clady, Mangold. Its like all of these young guys had to do ALL THE WORK! Marshall has been banged up all year, dropping passes, running backwards, Decker has been hurt all year. Even though we had sh*tty TEs, you still need them to block & EVERY SINGLE one got injured, and we picked up ASJ who was cut for drinking & not knowing his playbook,lol.

Lets see what Macc learned from last year. (I don't think Macc was high on Fitz, I think Revis was Woody) so his misses are Gilchrist & Skrine, maybe Forte (5 mill is not a lot & we can cut him after next year), Macc even held his ground on Mo & its a FACT he tried to move him. This is a big draft & free agency coming up. Hi picks, & we'll have a lot of money. If Bowles stays, there will be a huge cleaning house of the undesirables based off what weve seen this season.

Gonna be interesting.

Archived