Rodney Harrison: Younger players are 'making fun' of Darrelle Revis' decline

Ken Schroy

Rodney Harrison: Younger players are 'making fun' of Darrelle Revis' decline By Darryl Slater

One game remains in this miserable season of decline for Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, who might not be back with the organization next season. How bad has 2016 been for Revis? Well, he has zero interceptions, after having five last year (in his first season back with the Jets). It has also been this bad:

"This has been a very embarrassing year for Darrelle, very embarrassing," Rodney Harrison, a former NFL safety and current NBC Sports analyst, told ESPN.com. "These young guys, they're making fun and they think Darrelle Revis is such a bum where they can go out and beat him. Oh, man, come on, dude. That's going to be his motivation. "I have all the respect in the world for Darrelle. I think he's one of the greatest cornerbacks to play. But the problem is this: When you relax as a football player and people see that on tape, they're going to take advantage of it because you've been so great for so long.

"They're laughing at you. They want to make a name off you. That's what you see. You see these wide receivers coming out more motivated and taking him deep." Revis, who turns 32 in July, is due to count $15.3 million against the Jets' salary cap next season. But he would count just $6 million if they cut him -- and just $5 million if he signs for the minimum elsewhere after being cut. Harrison also questioned Revis' motivation to ESPN.com. After Revis won a Super Bowl with the Cheaters in the 2014 season, the Jets gave him a contract that included $39 million fully guaranteed upon signing. "He had so much success with the Cheaters, and the motivation isn't there," Harrison said. "It's like he won a Super Bowl ring, made a lot of money and I don't know if I see that same Darrelle Revis that came in when he was a rookie. I don't see that same hunger from Darrelle." 

I can't stand Rodney Harrison, but he is right on Revis.

the young receivers were making fun or him last season too.  he's playing so far off it's nothing for a qb to hit the receiver for a near 10 yard gain.  and they can just about do it at will.  but what did revis expect anyway?  in all sports the younger better players will embarass the older guys.  it just happens.  hopefully revis does the right thing for the jets by retiring instead of trying to embarass himself further by signing elsewhere.

If I have to hear Revis bitching....  I've done enough in the past.

What?  What sacrifice have you made?  Did you ever play for 1 penny less than your value?  Did you hold out every time you thought it would benefit you?  When you act like that, the minute you aren't worth your contract, you are going to get called out for it.

For me, the biggest indictment of Todd Bowles as an incompetent coach is his inability to motivate and get his players to perform to their potential. 

Bill Belichick would have shipped Revis, Wilkerson, and Richardson out of town after about four games. 

Nothing will change until Bowles is gone. I get that he "needs to learn" as a coach, but this season was inexcusably pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

For me, the biggest indictment of Todd Bowles as an incompetent coach is his inability to motivate and get his players to perform to their potential. 

Bill Belichick would have shipped Revis, Wilkerson, and Richardson out of town after about four games. 

Nothing will change until Bowles is gone. I get that he "needs to learn" as a coach, but this season was inexcusably pathetic. 

Agree the talent level of all Jets players has dropped off considerably theres more than meets the eye here.

6 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Belichick in his second season?

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The guy has been a flat out douchebag for his entire career and has literally quit on the field multiple times this season. Welcome to adulthood Darrelle, reap what you sew.

It's actually interesting to see him struggle as he learns that there's not as much overlap in getting rich and building a legacy as he may have once hoped.

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Touché. But my point remains. I can't name one positive thing about Bowles. 

The little optimism I have re: Bowles is only in terms of how little I think of the team and that I'm not sure what another coach could have done with this roster.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

It's actually interesting to see him struggle as he learns that there's not as much overlap in getting rich and building a legacy as he may have once hoped.

Yup. The guy made money his sole ambition, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But don't get cunty when you come to realize it hasn't earned you the unconditional respect of your peers. You don't get to hold up your team multiple off-seasons with holdout after holdout and then play the woe is me card. You can do one or the other, but not both. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

You don't do that to one of the best players in Jets history. The NFL is a business Revis making money was smart football on his part. 

Revis is definitely a good businessman,  but I root for the name on the front of the jersey.   He stinks,  so I would bench and cut him.  I would rather see young guys play. 

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

The little optimism I have re: Bowles is only in terms of how little I think of the team and that I'm not sure what another coach could have done with this roster.

This is where I'm residing too. On top of that, Mo Wilkerson and Snacks are all defensive guys who had Career Years under him last year.  You could honestly include Pryor, who, at times flashes greatness in his natrual position at SS...even with the rough year he's had between injury and being forced out of position.  Get a real coverage safety next to him and I think he will be fine.  Whatever functioning pieces we have on offense are still out there trying too.  Not succeeding, but trying nonetheless.

This team, unfortunately, still has some guys (looking at you Revis and Sheldon) who are just bad attitudes and they need to be purged.  Also, I'm pissed at Mo for sh*t he's said and his play this year, but he looks hurt out there.  His failed rehab falls on him...but I don't think this is going to be a regular thing for him.

I love guys who hold the club hostage for the big bucks, get the big bucks then whine about it when their performance declines and they are called on it.  Here is my opinion........if you have to whine about what your legacy should be, it is not going to be what you think it should be.  The easily-visible lack of effort this year has tarnished Revis' legacy.  That was his choice, nobody else's.  I don't begrudge any of these guys any last dollar they can get for themselves.  But don't expect extreme loyalty from the club when you did not exhibit loyalty to anything but your bank account.  If you want more money, take the buyout and get more from someone else.  And when you are not good enough to get more money, take what you can get or move on.  

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yup. The guy made money his sole ambition, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with that. But don't get cunty when you come to realize it hasn't earned you the unconditional respect of your peers. You don't get to hold up your team multiple off-seasons with holdout after holdout and then play the woe is me card. You can do one or the other, but not both. 

"It's a business.   Me holding out is business.   It's a business."

"Wait, you want to cut me because I make too much and I'm not good any more?  You have no class"

Nope.  Not being a hypocrit at all...

Archived