Dalvin Cook worth a look tonight

Pointdexter

I know RB is not as pressing as OL and QB but Cook and Fournette are true potential NFL game changers. And the value of taking one of these guys at #6 is about right.

We are so devoid of big time talent. Cook is about as exciting as it gets.

On the other side Jabril Peppers is someone worth watching, although I think we all agree that the idea of drafting a safety again in rd 1 is nauseating. 

27 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

I know RB is not as pressing as OL and QB but Cook and Fournette are true potential NFL game changers. And the value of taking one of these guys at #6 is about right.

We are so devoid of big time talent. Cook is about as exciting as it gets.

On the other side Jabril Peppers is someone worth watching, although I think we all agree that the idea of drafting a safety again in rd 1 is nauseating. 

Cook looking great so far.

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dalvin Cook is just what this Jets team needs a young explosive 3 down weapon at RB I'd love him to be the Jets first round pick, then OL, then Mahomes.

I believe in BPA in the first. But that is positional. I wouldn't pick a punter, kicker or LS in the first. For the top 10, no G, C, TE, and, IMO, no RB. RB only has 3-4 years avg. in this league. And, RB rarely makes a team SB ready. In general (and specifically this year), you can find them in lower rounds. You go LT, QB, Pass rusher, CB, WR.

Granted there are exceptions, but I don't like RB that high; especially in this passing league.

I think, at the very least, Dalvin showed why he's in the conversation at #6. You might be able to get rbs in later rounds but there are usually only a handful of "difference-maker football players" in any one draft. DC is certainly that. And you never regret having a guy like that on your team. 

If the draft falls the way it's being mocked now, I'd draft Cook in rd 1, Watson in rd 2, and then allocate the rest of our resources to building an OL to support these guys.

But then again, what do I know.

Holy crap I want dalvin cook. We need difference makers. Unless there is an OLB with ALL the tools there, I would be extremely happy with Cook.

...plus, I think it would be fun to watch all the happiness leave his body when the Jets draft him. There would be memes everywhere.

Jets are a rebuilding team completely devoid of playmakers because of the QB & Oline. While it seems terrible right now, Shell looks to be the real deal @ RT. So, say Mangold redoes his contract (only way I'm keeping him), and the Jets either resign Winters or trade Sheldon to the Cowboys for Ron Leary? 4 of the starting Oline would be done. Now your talking about finding a LT & depth. Carpenter/Mangold or Johnson, Winters or Leary, Shell. 

Jets got ravaged by injuries in 2016. In my scenario above the starting Oline is almost complete, so if Delvin Cook is considered a difference maker, he's a no brainer to take pressure off of your young QBs.

I look at this rebuild in a 2/3 year way. Now if Macc thinks there is a STAR CB or edge rusher @ 6 we need those too. But you need to surround a young QB with playmakers & make it easier for them. Miami would have the same record as the Jets this year without Ajayi putting up the numbers he did in 2016.

I know that it is commonplace to say RBs should not be drafted in the top 10, but I question that philosophy. A game changing RB is going to get between 20-30 touches a game if you include catches. He is absolutely going to impact your offense (certainly more than a WR). Granted, you need a good OL for the RB to be effective, but doesn't the same thing go for a QB? Look at David Carr in Houston, his career was derailed because his line sucked and he never recovered. 

I have no problem going with Fournette or Cook at number 6. We have the foundation of a solid offensive line in place with Carpenter, Johnson, Winters (if he resigns) and Shell. We need to address the LT position, but we are not as far off on the line as many believe. 

Archived