Todd Bowles likely back, but several big-name Jets will receive pink slips

Gas2No99

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

You wanted Futz. The over payed, under performing, weak armed, water pistol QB. We could have had that same performance from Geno for less money. Furthermore, we would know or not if he is a decent QB for the short term and the other QB's would have been provided reps during this season.

Your short sighted, just point to this guy or that guy approach is shallow. It really showed with Futz and again it is glaring with TB. You cannot deny any of the things I have stated about Geno Smith, TB or Macc. You have yet to defend your position here, again. 

Any coach would have issues with the y this team was poorly configured. Woody knows this and so does Macc. 

Macc has added 3 young LB'ers and we still do not have a specific answer as a speed rusher rom the edge. I see posters here saying he should pick a coach!!! For real? Can he be trusted to do so when he has yet to pick a QB or and a legit edge rusher? He also signed that stupid contract to a QB nobody wanted. The Jets got fleeced by Futz. 

TB makes errors? Yes. He held on to Futz too long. Could be due to the contract size. I would have benched or cut him after KC.

Macc needs more help thanTB does. His mistakes costs this team 2016. Open your eyes bro. Just what am I stating that is questionable? Also please note; Smith is the best QB on the team. He is a FA. If he walks the Jets will have lost another 2nd round pick who they never developed. Adding insult to injury, they will be left with worse players at that position and have to over pay for someone else's crappy QB.

For some reason I believe that Macc can look at his past performance and grow from it.

For some other reason I don't feel the same way about Bowles.  Bowles staff is an absolute mess.  I think Bowles and Woody had a large part is many/most of Mac's big decisions.  But I also think Woody's org structure did not make it imperative to find players for Bowles' system.  Bowles will get tarred if his players flop.  Bowles takes the first heat if the team is no good.

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

For some reason I believe that Macc can look at his past performance and grow from it.

For some other reason I don't feel the same way about Bowles.  Bowles staff is an absolute mess.  I think Bowles and Woody had a large part is many/most of Mac's big decisions.  But I also think Woody's org structure did not make it imperative to find players for Bowles' system.  Bowles will get tarred if his players flop.  Bowles takes the first heat if the team is no good.

I hope that you are right here. The fans should be afforded the accountability regarding the many strange decisions that happen there. The buck has to stop somewhere and not just fall upon the fans. We have been down this road for decades.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Jets.

Once again, I totally agree. Why is it "the right thing to do" to bring the zombie back?

PS - These guys that want Bowltite back next year are nuts.

37 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Once again, I totally agree. Why is it "the right thing to do" to bring the zombie back?

Once again, why do you think that this GM can choose a HC? Based upon his track record here, how does he get to do that?

6 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is twisting things a bit. The signing of Futz to a ridiculous amount of money forced the hand of TB no matter whom else was here. The signing made some sort of sense before he missed the entire OTA/TC period. Still even then he was asking for too much for the Jets to pay.

The Jets clearly would have been better off going with Smith rather than signing Futz. I said that when they signed him and this season proved my point.

How can anyone honestly state that Macc should get to pick a coach? Based on what?

That Futz thing is classic, did you make that up yourself, or did you have help?

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Doubtful.  The GM looks more and more like a Charley Casserly scratch my back placement.  Don't' think ol' Charley isn't telling his half-witted puppet to avoid the NY media to buy himself a couple more years.  I won't even get into Bowles.

15 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

This is good.  It's like Kotite's 3-13 season.  He was brought back for the 1-15 year and that led to major culture changing (Parcells, etc) initiatives afterwards.  Be patient my friends- this dolt will lead us to the promised land.

I'm going to die of old ******* age waiting. 

10 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I have that view and don't think I am nuts.  I just thiink firing Bowles is Woody's easy way out.  It says that Bowles failed but everyone else did their jobs.  The new coach then gets at least 2 years and the real problem is never fixed.

The Jets don't need another first year HC.  At least Bowles is hopefully learning.   

If all goes as expected, 2017 could be the perfect year to tank.   Cut the veterans and use some cap space for better OL than we have.  Maybe sign Gilmore or someone who will play for 4 years.  Hopefully Woody realizes that his org does not work and hires a football czar.  But the only way this gets better is if Bowles is the last HC who reports to Woody.

On separate notes, its a huge plus for Macc If Shell can play RT.  If the Jets pick 6, it is not unlikely that Cam Robinson is there waiting.  Peppers, Fournette, Garrett are all gone.  And who is going to teach the QBs to go through progressions.  They don't teach it in his or college.   I think people are overlooking the failures in QB development (even Geno) and strength and conditioning).

56 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have that view and don't think I am nuts.  I just thiink firing Bowles is Woody's easy way out.  It says that Bowles failed but everyone else did their jobs.  The new coach then gets at least 2 years and the real problem is never fixed.

The Jets don't need another first year HC.  At least Bowles is hopefully learning.   

If all goes as expected, 2017 could be the perfect year to tank.   Cut the veterans and use some cap space for better OL than we have.  Maybe sign Gilmore or someone who will play for 4 years.  Hopefully Woody realizes that his org does not work and hires a football czar.  But the only way this gets better is if Bowles is the last HC who reports to Woody.

On separate notes, its a huge plus for Macc If Shell can play RT.  If the Jets pick 6, it is not unlikely that Cam Robinson is there waiting.  Peppers, Fournette, Garrett are all gone.  And who is going to teach the QBs to go through progressions.  They don't teach it in his or college.   I think people are overlooking the failures in QB development (even Geno) and strength and conditioning).

Geno Smith was a Jet for 4 yrs and had 3 different OC, with the last 2 years under Gailey and Kevin Patullo  .  Bryce petty has the same last 2 yrs as Geno Smith and Hackenberg has last yr .  That people is not how you develop anyone, especially these kids who come out of these college spread offenses   .   But go ahead and continue the trend .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Geno Smith was a Jet for 4 yrs and had 3 different OC, with the last 2 years under Gailey and Kevin Patullo  .  Bryce petty has the same last 2 yrs as Geno Smith and Hackenberg has last yr .  That people is not how you develop anyone, especially these kids who come out of these college spread offenses   .   But go ahead and continue the trend .

Bull. You're either a good QB or you aren't. Coaching shouldn't matter. Some systems benefit some QBs more than others but for the most part the QBs value should be independent of the coaching staff. Enough excuses. 

I don't get most posters here. Who roots for their team to suck? Loosing begets loosing. How many games do you think the Jets could have played better in, but they got used to losing and gave up? Has loosing year after year done anything for the Cleveland fans? Is there an Andrew Luck waiting for us? Even if there was, we still wouldn't get it. Considering the Jets luck, do you think sucking next year will get us a top pick right when a franchise QB is there?

As far as replacing the coach goes. There are 3 types of coaches, rookies, retreads with previous failures, and retreads with success. It is true that there are only 32 teams, so if you want to coach, any team will do, however:

retreads with success can pick and choose and there are always a choice of spots. They are more worried about the legacy and so they aren't going to go to a bad situation. An owner that doesn't give their staff time to fail, a team with a ton of holes or a team without a franchise QB are not places these guys are going to go. Plus these guys have been out of the league for a while or they are unpredictable and just because the Jets were to have the #1 pick in a good year, it doesn't mean they are going to jump.

Next are retreads without Success. Many of these are only going to get one more chance, so they are likely going to be choosy. They have seen enough to know, going where the GM is in a third year after the previous GM only got 2 years is not a stable situation. Again, Jets aren't necessarily a good choice here. Of course, some of these retreads are desperate - are these the coaches you want?

That leaves rookie HCs. Well, I know how much many here want another rookie HC. But here is the thing. A rookie HC is going to make mistakes (more than an seasoned HC), so if every time a rookie HC has problems you let them go, you will never have a winner or a stable coaching staff.

I am not happy with this season, but I just can't see rooting for them to fail. If Bowles isn't the guy, we will find out next year and he will be gone. If Mac has done his job and the team has more talent, then we will be able to attract a good coach. If not, he will be gone too.

Just remember, be careful of what you wish for.

5 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't get most posters here. Who roots for their team to suck? Loosing begets loosing. How many games do you think the Jets could have played better in, but they got used to losing and gave up? Has loosing year after year done anything for the Cleveland fans? Is there an Andrew Luck waiting for us? Even if there was, we still wouldn't get it. Considering the Jets luck, do you think sucking next year will get us a top pick right when a franchise QB is there?

As far as replacing the coach goes. There are 3 types of coaches, rookies, retreads with previous failures, and retreads with success. It is true that there are only 32 teams, so if you want to coach, any team will do, however:

retreads with success can pick and choose and there are always a choice of spots. They are more worried about the legacy and so they aren't going to go to a bad situation. An owner that doesn't give their staff time to fail, a team with a ton of holes or a team without a franchise QB are not places these guys are going to go. Plus these guys have been out of the league for a while or they are unpredictable and just because the Jets were to have the #1 pick in a good year, it doesn't mean they are going to jump.

Next are retreads without Success. Many of these are only going to get one more chance, so they are likely going to be choosy. They have seen enough to know, going where the GM is in a third year after the previous GM only got 2 years is not a stable situation. Again, Jets aren't necessarily a good choice here. Of course, some of these retreads are desperate - are these the coaches you want?

That leaves rookie HCs. Well, I know how much many here want another rookie HC. But here is the thing. A rookie HC is going to make mistakes (more than an seasoned HC), so if every time a rookie HC has problems you let them go, you will never have a winner or a stable coaching staff.

I am not happy with this season, but I just can't see rooting for them to fail. If Bowles isn't the guy, we will find out next year and he will be gone. If Mac has done his job and the team has more talent, then we will be able to attract a good coach. If not, he will be gone too.

Just remember, be careful of what you wish for.

Great post. 

I was a big fan of Bowles when we hired him and happy with the job he did last year as a rookie head coach. He was not perfect. He made a lot of mistakes but the 10-6 record seemed to hide his flaws. This year the record reflected his flaws but also the lack of talent on this team. This team is really poorly put together. Overpaid older vets expected to lead this year grossly underperformed and need to be purged. 

I wanted Bowles to be fired but as i thought about it it would be a poor kneejerk reaction. Coaching alone is not why this team is so bad. Firing Bowles would basically be saying we have a good team that bad coaching dragged down. This is not true. We are bad team with terrible talent that a newbie coach could not overcome. Bowles deserves another year. If he doesnt improve next year(im not talking number of wins, im talking does the team play hard are they making the same mistakes, is he making the same mistakes) then he needs to go. 

We also need to help this guy.

He needs to replace his assistants an coordinators. Bring in Fangio as DC. Bowles has Parcells ties, convince Mangini to come on board as Asst HC/Secondary. Get Charlie Weis as QB Coach and Anthony Lynn or Ken Whisenhunt as OC. John Fassel to coach ST?  TB needs experienced assistants. 

Purge the roster of the cancers- Revis, Richardson, Pryor, Fitzpatrick, Folk. Get rid of the old and underperforming- Mangold, Gilchrist, Giacomini, Skrine, Clady. Keep Harris at reduced pay he is a leader and model for the young players. Then use the Draft and UDFA to replenish the roster with young talent but also talent with character- guys who love football, are smart and work hard (the kind of players Mangini was assembling that took Rex to the AFCCG back to back years). Sign cheaper, lower profile free agents that fit this profile to supplement the draft. Focus on the O-line and strengthening the secondary this year. Do that and if we cant move forward in 2017 the we move on from Bowles. 

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, Warfish said:

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Jets.

Our owner acts like he does not know a damn thing about football so why own a team ? I mean he will spend money when needed but he has no pulse on his organization at all.

These guys that own football teams are supposed to be smart men so why are they turning a sport into rocket science ? Why should any owner have to seek council on whether or not his football coach is an idiot ? I mean at this stage and at his age you would think he's got to be saying in his luxury suite CALL TIMEOUT YOU MORON !!!!! WHY ARE WE MAKING THE SAME GOD DAMN MISTAKES OVER AND OVER ???? WHY IS THIS COACH LOSING THE LOCKER ROOM ???

This is a guy who fired Eric Mangini who had this team on a very good path with classy players who cared about the team. It certainly was not Mangini's fault Favre had arm issues.

If the Jets retain Todd Bowles I feel like I have nothing to look forward too and I'm always excited about the Jets in the offseason.

Woody please go out and get a real coach and everything will fall into place. There's a reason why the same teams do well every year and its not just about the players.

2 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

You're wrong . He does. Do some basic research .

Why would that kid be a good owner? Because his grandma sewed him a Jets sweater?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah I'm not going to argue with someone who thinks Woody Johnson is a good owner.

Woody Johnson was born with a silver spoon and a millionaire at birth. Handed ownership of Johnson and Johnson. I prefer the person that worked himself up the economical ladder. 

4 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

You're wrong . He does. Do some basic research .

Why would that kid be a good owner? Because his grandma sewed him a Jets sweater?

Woody Johnson is 131-140 as owner so take a seat and learn to research before you speak. Now you look dumb.

Woody Johnson is 131-140 as owner so take a seat and learn to research before you speak. Now you look dumb.

Actually not. His record is not bad at all. He has been a Better owner than most. Not great , but Winning seasons and playoffs are more important than overall record anyway. He has been above average

The point is, why would this kid be a good owner over Woody?

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, Gen X Jet said:

This is good.  It's like Kotite's 3-13 season.  He was brought back for the 1-15 year and that led to major culture changing (Parcells, etc) initiatives afterwards.  Be patient my friends- this dolt will lead us to the promised land.

THIS is a plan?

Since Woody took over, 10 teams have more playoff wins than the Jets. 21 teams are behind us or tied. This idea that we have been the Lions , Bills or Browns since Woody took over is ridiculous.
Again, he has not been great, but far from horrible. Most likely better than some kid with a couple of good investments and grandma's sweater. He is making the right call on Bowles. He gets one more year to prove it

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

If anyone knows who Gary Vee is, he's trying to buy the Jets. He's the motivational speaker that invested in all of the social medias that blew up. I'm ready for Woody to hand him the keys.

Gary Vee has a net worth of 10 million he couldn't even pay Mo..LOL

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Gary Vee has a net worth of 10 million he couldn't even pay Mo..LOL

He also made his money after taking over his families multimillion dollar business.  Hardly a hard climb up the economic ladder. 

Then again he also thinks that Woody was handed the keys Johnson & Johnson 

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Actually not. His record is not bad at all. He has been a Better owner than most. Not great , but Winning seasons and playoffs are more important than overall record anyway. He has been above average

The point is, why would this kid be a good owner over Woody?

Take your L.

you tried correcting me for saying Woody doesn't have a +.500 record, and told me to do basic research when you were wrong. L O L

Woody was born into being a 1%'er and a silver spoon.

That 'kid' was born broke and worked his way up the economic ladder. 

If you can't understand that I don't want to have this conversation with you and your love for Woody.

Archived