Todd Bowles likely back, but several big-name Jets will receive pink slips

Gas2No99

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly I can't see how you can keep a head coach whose team quit playing in week 11 on Monday night in front of everyone. It sucks that it's his 2nd year but he lost the team. That's grounds for dismissal.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd agree, if you can prove they quit. Tough thing to prove.

Most fan(atic)s want him gone. I have yet to read a beat writer who believes the team quit on him. They have a much better feel of the day to day stuff. If someone could prove they quit , I'd be on board. Otherwise, I think it's the best call to give him a year

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Most fan(atic)s want him gone. I have yet to read a beat writer who believes the team quit on him. They have a much better feel of the day to day stuff. If someone could prove they quit , I'd be on board. Otherwise, I think it's the best call to give him a year

Watching the team sleepwalk through the last 5 weeks is enough for me.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

On 12/31/2016 at 9:59 AM, Warfish said:

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Jets.

we are basically going to waste next year, then bring in a new guy new system and waste that year.

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

well, if they did not quit, and their talent is lmid level, then he is the worst game manager and game planner in the league

On 12/31/2016 at 0:31 PM, Jetdawgg said:

Macc needs more help thanTB does. His mistakes costs this team 2016. Open your eyes bro. Just what am I stating that is questionable? Also please note; Smith is the best QB on the team. He is a FA. If he walks the Jets will have lost another 2nd round pick who they never developed. Adding insult to injury, they will be left with worse players at that position and have to over pay for someone else's crappy QB.

How many times must I hear this? Geno being the best QB on the team is nothing to crow about. It simply points out how bad the QB situation really is. The point is Geno is not a 2nd round draft pick on anyone's board but the Jets. Hell there was speculation he could fall all the way off the board. Geno Friggin Smith is not an NFL starting QB. No matter how bad sh*tz is, No matter how much sh*tz was paid, it will still not make Geno Friggin Smith an NFL starter. When will people learn?

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

How many times must I hear this? Geno being the best QB on the team is nothing to crow about. It simply points out how bad the QB situation really is. The point is Geno is not a 2nd round draft pick on anyone's board but the Jets. Hell there was speculation he could fall all the way off the board. Geno Friggin Smith is not an NFL starting QB. No matter how bad sh*tz is, No matter how much sh*tz was paid, it will still not make Geno Friggin Smith an NFL starter. When will people learn?

You are arguing against factual content using your opinion. SMDH

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

You are arguing against factual content using your opinion. SMDH

How do you figure that? Geno Friggin Smith has not proven a damn thing on or off the field. His immaturity cost him his starting gig and his performance had them looking to bring in a vet to compete with him. If Geno Friggin Smith had showed any kind of growth or improvement on the field sh*tz is never signed. Those are facts plain and simple. Want more facts? sh*tz has a Career year(for him) and it costs the Jets 12 mil because they have no faith in Geno Friggin Smith. His immaturity, his incompetence, and his lack of a football IQ has cost this team too much in his limited tenure.

He has tools but not the capacity to use them. Unless He wises up He is out of the NFL in a couple of season's. Geno Friggin Smith based on the FACTS is not an NFL starting QB PERIOD. WHAT ELSE YA GOT?

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

How do you figure that? Geno Friggin Smith has not proven a damn thing on or off the field. His immaturity cost him his starting gig and his performance had them looking to bring in a vet to compete with him. If Geno Friggin Smith had showed any kind of growth or improvement on the field sh*tz is never signed. Those are facts plain and simple. Want more facts? sh*tz has a Career year(for him) and it costs the Jets 12 mil because they have no faith in Geno Friggin Smith. His immaturity, his incompetence, and his lack of a football IQ has cost this team too much in his limited tenure.

He has tools but not the capacity to use them. Unless He wises up He is out of the NFL in a couple of season's. Geno Friggin Smith based on the FACTS is not an NFL starting QB PERIOD. WHAT ELSE YA GOT?

Just what have you been watching?  Smith is by far the most talented and best QB on this roster.

Smith - rocket arm, good running ability, can make all the throws won 8 games as a rookie with no weapons at WR's. 

Futz- no playoffs in 11 years. Threw 6 picks against KC. Took reps from the young QB's  fleeced the Jets for $12MM with $5MM still due next season.

Fitz was signed because the Jets had no experienced QB at all after Smith. 

Petty and Hack are not even in this conversation.

I need to stop here as you are all screwed up with your thoughts. Your hatred of Smith consumes all of your efforts here. You are wrong so let's move on

4 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Just what have you been watching?  Smith is by far the most talented and best QB on this roster.

Smith - rocket arm, good running ability, can make all the throws won 8 games as a rookie with no weapons at WR's. 

Futz- no playoffs in 11 years. Threw 6 picks against KC. Took reps from the young QB's  fleeced the Jets for $12MM with $5MM still due next season.

I need to stop here as you are all screwed up with your thoughts. Your hatred of Smith consumes all of your efforts here. You are wrong so let's move on

What have you been reading? I say He has the tools in my post. He just lacks the maturity or football IQ to use them. If He did sh*tz is never even on the field. I said in my previous post that saying Geno Friggin Smith is the best QB on the roster only proves how terrible our QB situation is. You seem to think I'm defending sh*tz or any other QB on this team. I'm not. If you could comprehend what you read you would already know this. So once again take your head out of your arse and actually comprehend something you read. Other than that I can't help you.

I

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

What have you been reading? I say He has the tools in my post. He just lacks the maturity or football IQ to use them. If He did sh*tz is never even on the field. I said in my previous post that saying Geno Friggin Smith is the best QB on the roster only proves how terrible our QB situation is. You seem to think I'm defending sh*tz or any other QB on this team. I'm not. If you could comprehend what you read you would already know this. So once again take your head out of your arse and actually comprehend something you read. Other than that I can't help you.

I

Your post's say many things that have not been well articulated. 

No doubt that the Jets QB situation is in dire straights. The Jets need to hold onto Smith It is smarter to hold onto to young players if they are the best players at any position until they can be replaced. Even if the Jets sign another QB, Smith would be the best back up here. 

Most cannot comprehend that until like Sanchez, they go elsewhere

On 12/31/2016 at 2:44 PM, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Another solid SOJF chimes in "hoping and praying for an epic disaster"

Pathetic

With "fans" like this the Jets don't need enemy fans

And you are just be a blind homer.

If a Jets team was 8-7 going into week 17 and out of the playoffs I would root for a win regardless. I am not a crazy draft position guy. But you need to wake up to reality- this is one of the WORST rosters in all of football. That's undeniable. If ever there was a year to look for 1-15, next year is it. 

Imagine the Jets had a top pick with a franchise QB available along with a bunch of cap space. Don't you think that would make for a very attractive coaching or GM position? Throw in the fact the owner will be over in London - all of the sudden people will want to come here. 

I am 39 years old. This team has never had a true franchise long term QB since I've been alive (Kenny O was close). We have one of the worst owners in sports. We have no QB. We have no pass rusher. At best Bowles is an average coach. The verdict is still out on the GM.

Picking 6th or 9th or 11th most likely that wont land you a franchise QB. We've tried to find a mid round QB (ala Russel Wilson); that has produced Geno, Petty and Hack. You buy any of their jerseys? 

There are a couple potential franchise QBs in 2018. I'll gladly suffer through a terrible season for a top pick. Is a top pick a sure thing, no. But give me some real hope. 

On 12/31/2016 at 9:59 AM, Warfish said:

How do you seriously bring back a Head Coach who completely and utterly lost his team.  And make no mistake, Bowles has completely and utterly lost this team.  

Bowles, a Defensive Guy calling the D, put out one of the worst Defenses I've ever seen, yet a Defense whose talent is NOT the problem.

Yet we're going to bring him back, and keep a situation where the Head Coach doesn't answer to the GM, his personal unit vastly underperformed, and he completely lost his team?

Same Old God Damn Jets.

Man when you put it like that.....   

1 hour ago, KINGDIRK said:

If a Jets team was 8-7 going into week 17 and out of the playoffs I would root for a win regardless. I am not a crazy draft position guy. But you need to wake up to reality- this is one of the WORST rosters in all of football. That's undeniable. If ever there was a year to look for 1-15, next year is it. 

Imagine the Jets had a top pick with a franchise QB available along with a bunch of cap space. Don't you think that would make for a very attractive coaching or GM position? Throw in the fact the owner will be over in London - all of the sudden people will want to come here. 

I am 39 years old. This team has never had a true franchise long term QB since I've been alive (Kenny O was close). We have one of the worst owners in sports. We have no QB. We have no pass rusher. At best Bowles is an average coach. The verdict is still out on the GM.

Picking 6th or 9th or 11th most likely that wont land you a franchise QB. We've tried to find a mid round QB (ala Russel Wilson); that has produced Geno, Petty and Hack. You buy any of their jerseys? 

There are a couple potential franchise QBs in 2018. I'll gladly suffer through a terrible season for a top pick. Is a top pick a sure thing, no. But give me some real hope. 

Better yet, imagine the,Jets tank the season and there isn't a franchise QB to draft?

Who will you blame?  HC?  GM?  Better yet, Woody?

tank 2017.  There's a solid plan. 

1 hour ago, KINGDIRK said:

Better yet, imagine the,Jets tank the season and there isn't a franchise QB to draft?

Who will you blame?  HC?  GM?  Better yet, Woody?  Better question, why would you fire the HC and GM for following this plan?  Why would they tank the season if would cost them their jobs.  

Tank 2017.  There's a solid plan.  

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who will you blame?  HC?  GM?  Better yet, Woody?

tank 2017.  There's a solid plan. 

First of all you cannot tank in football. You have to dress 46 players that all have vested interest in playing well. However when you have an absolutely terrible roster like the Jets, perhaps you dont spend in free agency. Perhaps you allow all the young players your GM has selected in the past 2 years play. You dont do something retarded like sign a Romo (why he would come here is beyond me). I dont want to hear about a stop-gap (Cutler) OR a bridge QB (Glennon). You drafted Petty and Hack. Time to reap what you sowed. If you define that as tanking - you are dead wrong.

Second, you are right about the possibility of no franchise QB to draft at the top in 2018 Draft. You need to terrible AND lucky. The Jets are already terrible. Just need a little luck. 

Third, if you think some free agency moves are going to take this team anywhere in 2017,you are clueless.

52 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

First of all you cannot tank in football. You have to dress 46 players that all have vested interest in playing well. However when you have an absolutely terrible roster like the Jets, perhaps you dont spend in free agency. Perhaps you allow all the young players your GM has selected in the past 2 years play. You dont do something retarded like sign a Romo (why he would come here is beyond me). I dont want to hear about a stop-gap (Cutler) OR a bridge QB (Glennon). You drafted Petty and Hack. Time to reap what you sowed. If you define that as tanking - you are dead wrong.

Second, you are right about the possibility of no franchise QB to draft at the top in 2018 Draft. You need to terrible AND lucky. The Jets are already terrible. Just need a little luck. 

Third, if you think some free agency moves are going to take this team anywhere in 2017,you are clueless.

Yeah, I would have to be clueless.  Tons of cap space and a draft to come and you already have it all figured out.

And to not agree with you makes someone clueless.  

Did the Browns Tank in purpose this year? I saw a lot of young guys working their asses off, giving good effort, but losing to better teams..... gaining good experience for the future. 

Cut/Trade

Breno, Clady, Mangold, Marshall, Richardson, Harris, Revis, Gilchrist, Pryor, Forte.

Bring in young guys and build an Oline in the draft. Plug in the top pick of 2018.

Stop the cycle 

I don't get why everybody is assuming a top pick next year... I've said this in other threads but we played as bad as we could possibly play, our veterans massively underachieved, and we still went 5-11

We will cut those veterans & redeem a ton of money off of them, use that money to replace them with better players, and have a few high round draft picks to come in and play. We will have a better than last season - without a doubt.

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't get why everybody is assuming a top pick next year... I've said this in other threads but we played as bad as we could possibly play, our veterans massively underachieved, and we still went 5-11

We will cut those veterans & redeem a ton of money off of them, use that money to replace them with better players, and have a few high round draft picks to come in and play. We will have a better than last season - without a doubt.

Was interesting listening to Willie McGinest, the ex Pat on NFLN.  He said the Jets, if they were to get a QB would be a playoff contender.  Said he didn't care how much talent you have on defense, when your QB plays like Fitz, when you can't score, players know you will be hard pressed to win games and it takes the edge that even a talented unit needs to get off the field.  That forcing 3 and outs is hard no matter the personnel and that the Jets problems all over were due to horrendous QB play.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Was interesting listening to Willie McGinest, the ex Pat on NFLN.  He said the Jets, if they were to get a QB would be a playoff contender.  Said he didn't care how much talent you have on defense, when your QB plays like Fitz, when you can't score, players know you will be hard pressed to win games and it takes the edge that even a talented unit needs to get off the field.  That forcing 3 and outs is hard no matter the personnel and that the Jets problems all over were due to horrendous QB play.

Willie McGinest with the hot take. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The AFC is garbage right now. We can easily gain 5 wins with good/great QB play. Easily. Look at the playoff teams. For ****s sake, it's a 2-3 team race. There literally hasn't been an easier time to make the playoffs in the AFC for the past 15 or so years.

We just squander everytihng.

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why is this so hard to believe!!!

Chad Pennington said EXACTLY the same thing last week!!!

Must be a Conspiracy... :) 

25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why is this so hard to believe!!!

Chad Pennington said EXACTLY the same thing last week!!!

Must be a Conspiracy... :) 

Sorry CB, but our defense was awful all yr, and not even Fitzpatrick deserves blame for it >

On 1/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, Jetdawgg said:

There was never a big discrepancy between Geno and Fitz as QB's.  FItz just got lucky to face the easy schedule in 2015.

Petty and Hack are a joke.

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Sorry CB, but our defense was awful all yr, and not even Fitzpatrick deserves blame for it >

Because the defense under-performed and was notable for its lack of big plays IMO nothing excuses what we saw from Fitz this year...

Nothing..................

Yea the defense played poorly... 

But Fitz is the defacto leader of the team and his play infected everyone, even the players have said so...

Archived