TE dept. : Austin Seferian-Jenkins says he's Jets' answer at tight end: 'No doubt in my mind' ~ ~ ~

kelly

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seferian-Jenkins: Jets' faith in me 'going to pay off'

Last summer, Austin Seferian-Jenkins was in the news for the wrong reasons, like getting tossed from Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice. By fall, he was booted from the Bucs' roster following a DUI arrest.

In 2017, the New York Jets tight end has received only high praise.

Connor Hughes of NJ Advanced Media called ASJ "the most impressive player on the field" during OTAs. Rich Cimini of ESPN reported the Jets "like what they've seen" from the maligned tight end.After losing 30 pounds, thanks in part to quitting alcohol, Seferian-Jenkins promises to make the most of his second chance."I feel like a different person on and off the field," he told the team's official website. "The weight loss has been tremendous and I'm just really happy I have the opportunity to show the Jets taking a chance on me is going to pay off. I'm just trying to work every single day on the team like everybody else."

ASJ still has to serve a two-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy stemming from his DUI arrest.

When he returns, the 24-year-old has an opportunity to earn a substantial share of the targets in a stripped-down Jets pass catching corps. After jettisoning Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall this offseason, New York's wideouts are painfully inexperienced. No. 1 receiver Quincy Enunwa has 80 career catches, Robby Anderson has 42, Charone Peake has 18, Jalin Marshall has 14, recent addition Marquess Wilson has 56 in four seasons, and rookies ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen round out the group. At tight end, ASJ is battling fifth-round pick Jordan Leggett for snaps.

After rarely targeting the tight end last year under Chan Gailey -- the Jetsused 10 personnel (one running back, zero tight ends, four receivers) on 33 percent of snaps last year, most by far, per Football Outsiders -- the Jetsappear to be headed for a change under new coordinator John Morton."I think a lot of that has to do with the weight loss and I think that's kudos to Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty and John Morton," Seferian-Jenkins said of his positive offseason. "Coach Morton has definitely made an emphasis to use the tight end and it's on the tight end room to make sure we do the best we can to take full advantage of those opportunities."

ASJ's athleticism has never been in question, but his inability to stay healthy and out of trouble has knocked a once optimistic future off the rails. He has one last chance to change the course of his career.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000818610/article/seferianjenkins-jets-faith-in-me-going-to-pay-off

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp, which begins July 29 :

Position: Tight end

Projected starter: Austin Seferian-Jenkins (faces two-game suspension).

Projected reserves: Eric Tomlinson, Jordan Leggett.

Notables on the bubble: Brian Parker, Jason Vander Laan.

Top storyline: The tight end is back. New coordinator John Morton runs a West Coast-based offense, and the tight end is a big part of that system. The new approach was on display in minicamp, as the tight ends were featured in some team periods. Under Morton's predecessor, Chan Gailey, the Jets' tight ends were used primarily as blockers. The new way -- the way used by 31 other teams -- will add more balance to the passing attack. Welcome to the modern NFL, New York.

Player to watch: Seferian-Jenkins was one of the offseason stars, but can he maintain that momentum with the pads on? If he can, it would be a heck of a story. He dropped 25 pounds, went to rehab and quit drinking, vowing to turn around his life and career. With his skill set -- a 6-foot-5 frame and above-average speed -- he has the ability to thrive as a receiver. The man has talent (42 catches in his first two seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers), but he has always lacked focus and commitment. Maybe he has turned the corner. This is a contract year for Seferian-Jenkins, so there's no shortage of motivation.

Wild card: Leggett, a fifth-round pick from Clemson, had a rough spring, but the team still loves his upside. In college, his receiving metrics compared favorably with those of O.J. Howard, whom the Jets probably would have chosen at No. 6 overall if Jamal Adams had been off the board. Leggett's problem is that he's not a good blocker. To become an every-down player in this offense, he'll have to improve a lot in that area.

Training camp will be a success if ...: A starting-caliber player emerges to replace Seferian-Jenkins for Weeks 1 and 2. Slapped with a suspension stemming from a DUI arrest last September, Seferian-Jenkins can practice and play in the preseason, but he must sit out the first two regular-season games, at Buffalo and at Oakland. Tomlinson is the next man up in the pecking order, but he's primarily a run-blocker. Parker has some game experience (nine games with the Kansas City Chiefs), but we're not talking about a grizzled vet.

By the numbers: By now, you're probably well aware of the Jets' abysmal receiving stats over the past two seasons, but here's the most mind-blowing number of them all: The tight ends had zero -- zero! -- catches in the red zone in 2016, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Three targets, no catches. Wow.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69555/remember-the-tight-end-jets-hope-to-breathe-life-into-dead-position

• 2 weeks later...

-- This was the final play of the Jets' eighth training camp practice, an untimed down in a last-second situational drill just outside the goal line. The offense would either score, or the defense would win the day.

Quarterback Josh McCown took the shotgun snap, and floated a ball high for Austin Seferian-Jenkins near the back of the end zone. The big-bodied tight end high-pointed the ball with Demario Davis draped all over him, and held on despite a few last-second desperation swipes from the linebacker.The referees signaled touchdown, and Seferian-Jenkins spiked the ball with such ferocity Rob Gronkowski would be proud.

"I like 1-on-1 plays," Seferian-Jenkins told NJ Advance Media. "I like myself against anybody 1-on-1."

You'd be hard-pressed to find a player more impressive than Seferian-Jenkins these first three weeks of camp. Armed with a renewed sense of determination, and a suddenly-chiseled 6-6, 265-pound frame, the fourth-year pro has dominated most who attempt to cover him.

On Monday, it was Davis. On Tuesday, Seferian-Jenkins beat two defenders for a red-zone touchdown, and made another long catch up the seam while covered by cornerback Morris Claiborne. He looks very much like a legitimate offensive weapon.And boy could the Jets use one of those.As part of general manager Mike Maccagnan's offseason roster purge, the Jets cut receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. This week, they lost top wideout Quincy Enunwa for the season with a neck injury. Charone Peake and Robby Anderson, two players who have struggled mightily throughout camp, are suddenly atop the depth chart. A less-than ideal situation.

If Seferian-Jenkins can continue his strong play into the regular season -- although he's suspended the first two games --  he could be the team's No. 1 option in the passing game. At least right now, though, that's not on his mind."I'm not worried about anything like that, or thinking anything like that," Seferian-Jenkins said. "We'll see who's the No. 1 guy. I have no problem being No. 20 as long as we win games ... I'm going to do my part. When I have my opportunities, I'm going to cash in on them."

To this point in his career, Seferian-Jenkins has been a bit of a disappointment. A second-round pick by the Bucs in 2014, he has just 55 career receptions in 25 career games. He's known more for his off-field troubles -- two DUIs and a damning video leak by TMZ-- than on-field success.This offseason, Seferian-Jenkins knew he needed a change. So he sought help to get his personal life in order. Once he did, the rest started to take care of itself. He cut alcohol and fast food out of his diet completely, lost 33 pounds, and returned to One Jets Drive for organized team activities, seemingly, a new man. His head coach took notice"He lost a lot of weight, he re-shaped his body, dedicated (himself)," Bowles in early August. "Obviously all the things you heard, he made a dedication to himself, so that's a credit to him. He's come in lighter, quicker, leaner and he's moving a lot better."

For now, though, the only people to see this "new Austin," as Seferian-Jenkins calls himself, are those at the Atlantic Health Training Facility, a few reporters, and several fans who made random trips to practice. Most throughout the NFL still believe he's the disappointing second-round pick who didn't make it in Tampa Bay.

When the Jets open the preseason against the Titans this Saturday, Seferian-Jenkins will have a chance to show the world that's not the case anymore. Are the nerves starting to set in? Pressure to prove naysayers wrong?

Not exactly.

"I'm super chill," Seferian-Jenkins said. "I don't get nervous or any of that sh--. I'm just ready to play, man."  

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/austin_seferian-jenkins_continues_to_shine_at_jets.html#incart_river_index

As everyone says how bad we are at WR, I keep thinking about ASJ and how he can be a safety valve for our QB but I forgot about the 2 game suspension.  Either way, I am really excited about ASJ and Leggett.

The Jets tight ends as a group had by far the least production of any tight end group in the NFL during the Chan Gailey years. New offensive coordinator John Morton seems likely to try to get the tight ends more involved. However, the lack of production in recent years went beyond scheme. The Jets tight ends simply weren't very good. General Manager Mike Maccagnan went about the task of attempting to fix the position over the past year. Every tight end on the current roster was not with Jets on opening day of 2016. It's been a total overhaul of the position. Let's take a look at the current group of tight ends on the roster and see if there is much hope for an upgrade.

The Incumbent

The incumbent starting tight end for the Jets is Austin Seferian-Jenkins (ASJ). ASJ will open the season with a two game suspension. When he gets back he will be under some pressure to produce, as his career thus far has been a disappointment.Seferian-Jenkins is a 6' 5", 260 pound tight end out of the University of Washington. ASJ had a very productive junior year at Washington, catching 69 passes for 850 yards and seven touchdowns. He regressed his senior year, catching only 36 passes for 450 yards and eight touchdowns. In his senior campaign ASJ was suspended for a game for a DUI conviction, suffered a broken pinkie which required surgery, and played through a stress fracture in his right foot which ultimately required surgery and prevented him from working out at the NFL combine. The senior year issues were foreshadowing for Seferian-Jenkins' NFL career to date.

ASJ was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with the 38th overall pick in the second round of the 2014 NFL draft. Like most tight ends ASJ struggled early and ended his rookie season with just 21 catches for 221 yards and two touchdowns. Despite the modest production ASJ finished his rookie year with virtually the same production as fellow rookies Richard Rodgersand Eric Ebron, who trailed only the Jets' Jace Amaro among rookie tight ends.  ASJ did so despite missing seven games due to injuries.  ASJ missed two games early with complications involving his surgically repaired foot, and he missed the last five games of the 2014 season with a back injury.  Despite all this ASJ led all Tampa Bay tight ends in receiving yards.2015 saw improvement on the field, and more injuries keeping ASJ off the field.  ASJ started the 2015 season with a bang, going for 110 yards and two touchdowns in the season opener before injuring his shoulder in the second game of the season. ASJ missed the next nine games before coming back in game 12.  He finished leading all Tampa Bay tight ends in receiving yards and touchdowns in the 2015 season despite playing only seven games. His final 2015 numbers of 21 catches for 338 yards and four touchdowns are modest. However, prorated for a full 16 game season those numbers look like a tight end on the verge of stardom. Had ASJ managed to stay healthy all 16 games and maintain the same production he would have finished ninth among NFL tight ends in yards, tied for fourth in touchdowns, and second only to Rob Gronkowski in yards per catch.  ASJ's prorated numbers would have led all sophomore tight ends in all three categories.

By 2016 Tampa Bay became disenchanted with ASJ's inability to stay on the field, his indifferent blocking efforts and his struggles with alcohol. After two games in 2016 with the Buccaneers ASJ was arrested on a DUI charge. It was the last straw in Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers cut ASJ and the Jets signed him.  ASJ made his Jets debut in the fifth game of the 2016 season, and promptly injured his ankle, missing four of the next five games.  ASJ also ended the season early with a hamstring injury in the 15th game of the year.  ASJ finished the 2016 season playing in only nine games, which was nonetheless a career high. In three NFL seasons ASJ has missed time with injuries to his foot, back, shoulder, ankle and hamstring. When he comes back from his two game suspension to start the 2017 season ASJ will have missed exactly half of his 50 NFL games to that point with injuries and suspensions. On the field he has shown signs of becoming a top pass catching tight end. ASJ's blocking has been a disappointment for a man his size, but his work as a receiver has been promising, if he can just manage to stay on the field. However, missing half of your first 50 games does not tend to endear you to coaches. 2017 may be ASJ's last chance to prove he can stay healthy and productive on the field. If he manages to do so ASJ has the talent and in limited games an emerging track record that suggests he can become a good, maybe even excellent NFL receiving tight end. However if ASJ again proves unable to stay on the field in 2017 this may be his last chance as an NFL starter. Sooner or later teams move on from players who spend too much time on the exercise bike. ASJ's time may soon run out.

Current reports out of Jets camp are that ASJ is a new man.  He has shed 30+ pounds, has quit drinking, and looks like the best receiver on the field for the Jets. Time will tell if the changes stick and if ASJ can finally shake the injury bug, but if things go right there is reason to believe ASJ could develop into a top tight end and the best target on the Jets in 2017.

The Rookie

IF ASJ doesn't work out as a receiving tight end the next man up is likely to be 2017 fifth round draft choice Jordan Leggett. Leggett is a 6' 5", 258 pound rookie out of Clemson. As a junior at Clemson Leggett had 40 catches for 525 yards and eight touchdowns. He topped that with his senior numbers of 46 catches for 736 yards and seven touchdowns for Clemson's 2016 National Champion team. Leggett has all the physical attributes of an outstanding NFL tight end. He has prototypical size for the position, enormous hands, and runs a 4.7 forty, a nice time for a man his size. Legget has outstanding lateral quickness for a man his size, having run the third fastest tight end short shuttle at the NFL Combine, despite being one of the biggest tight ends in the draft. Leggett has tremendous body control and the ability to make in air adjustments on the ball. Leggett also developed a reputation for shining brightest in the biggest games. There is a lot to like about Leggett as a prospect. There are also some troubling things. Leggett developed a reputation in college for being lazy and for disappearing in games he wasn't excited about. He also has been a poor, disinterested blocker throughout his college career. Leggett has all the raw tools to develop into a special, dual threat traditional tight end, but it remains to be seen if the Jets can manage to get Leggett to realize his full potential. With ASJ on the sidelines serving a suspension the first two games of the season it will likely fall to Leggett to fill his shoes as the Jets number one tight end. That's a lot to ask of the rookie; we'll see if he can rise to the challenge.

The Veteran Pickup

The Jets picked up veteran tight end Chris Graggless than two weeks ago. Gragg is a 6' 3", 250 pound athletic freak out of the University of Arkansas. Gragg was originally drafted by the Buffalo Bills in the seventh round of the 2013 draft. At the 2013 NFL Combine Gragg wowed people with a 4.5 forty yard dash, a 37.5" vertical leap, and a 125 inch long jump. It was a tour de force.  As a point of reference, if Gragg had competed against the uber talented 2017 tight end draft class those numbers would have been the second fastest forty time, the third highest vertical, and the fourth longest long jump at the combine. Gragg is a superb athlete. As a football player, however, he has yet to put it all together. Over three years in Buffalo Gragg played in 32 games and caught 24 passes for 251 yards and two touchdowns. His best year was in 2015 when he had 12 catches for 150 yards and did a good job blocking. Suffice it to say Gragg has not to date lived up to his athletic potential.

Chris Gragg missed the entire 2016 season after he tore his ACL last August. He became an unrestricted free agent when the Bills failed to re-sign him and the Jets picked him up when his knee returned to full health. Prior to the injury Gragg was drawing rave reviews in Bills camp in 2016, and there were hopes he was finally finding his way in the NFL. While his body of work to date is underwhelming, the tight end position is a notoriously difficult position to develop in the NFL, and some guys just take a few years to come into their own. Perhaps Gragg will prove to be a late bloomer. With his off the charts athleticism and his blocking abilities he was at least worth a flier. If the Jets get lucky they might even find themselves with a legitimate dual threat traditional tight end with special athleticism on their hands.

The Project

The Jets signed Jason Vander Laan as an undrafted free agent in 2016. Vander Laan failed to make the team and spent much of the year out of the NFL before being brought back to the Jets practice squad late in December. The Jets reportedly like Vander Laan quite a bit, but he is a raw, long term project.

Jason Vander Laan is a 6' 3", 245 pound former quarterback out of football powerhouse Ferris State. Vander Laan never played tight end at any level of football, but the Jets thought so much of his abilities they signed him anyway and went about trying to convert the quarterback into a tight end. Watching his college tape visions of Tim Tebow come to mind, without the groupies and without the reluctance to change positions. Vander Laan's best athletic attribute is his running ability. He ran sparkling short shuttle and three cone drill times of 4.16 and 6.76 at his pro day, numbers that would have put him among the elite had he been at the NFL Combine as a tight end. It is difficult to imagine somebody who was never asked to block, run a route or catch a football his entire football career until he reached the NFL contributing much after spending nearly his entire rookie season out of the NFL. Realistically Vander Laan is probably at best a year away from competing at the NFL level. Nonetheless, the Jets seem to like him, he is a tough, relentless competitor with some running ability, and there may be an extra opening with ASJ sidelined for the first two weeks of the season. Maybe Vander Laan surprises and makes the team out of the gate.

The Blocker

Of the five tight ends on the Jets roster Eric Tomlinson is the only one it is difficult to conjure up any scenario where he excels in the NFL. Tomlinson is a lumbering 6' 6", 265 pound blocking tight end out of UTEP. Tomlinson ran an offensive line-esque 4.98 forty yard time coming out of college. Suffice it to say Tomlinson is not viewed as an elite athlete or major receiving threat at the tight end position. Tomlinson, if he makes the team, would have the role of a traditional blocking tight end.  He has the prototypical size and strength for such a role, but Tomlinson simply isn't a good blocker. His technique is poor, he fails to engage much too frequently, he does not use good leverage, he whiffs at an alarming rate, he lunges when he should be squaring up; he just struggles mightily to do the one job asked of him.  The Jets thought enough of Tomlinson to bring him back after he had a minor role in 2016. Perhaps he will prove me wrong and develop into a plus NFL blocker. However, the best scenario for the Jets would be for Tomlinson not to make the team because one of the other guys, all of whom have far more promise in the passing game, proves a better blocker and makes Tomlinson superfluous.

The Outlook

Because the Jets are so painfully thin at wide receiver there is an opportunity here for a couple of the tight ends to step up and become major weapons in this offense. That would be especially helpful if one of the young quarterbacks becomes the starter, as a good tight end catching outlet passes can be a young quarterback's security blanket. The obvious candidate to step up and become a major threat in the passing game is a seemingly rejuvenated and re-dedicated ASJ. If he can permanently tame his alcohol demons and manage to beat the injury bug ASJ has the ability to emerge and develop into one of the finest tight ends the Jets have ever had. It's a lot to ask of the oft injured ASJ, but there is promise there, especially considering the glowing reports coming out of training camp. ASJ just might be the surprise of the season and the savior of the passing attack.

Jordan Leggett and Chris Gragg represent two more tight ends with special athletic talents. Leggett will battle rookie growing pains and a poor reputation, and Gragg will fight to show he is fully healthy and finally ready to deliver on his enormous athletic gifts. These two might be long shots to deliver the goods in 2017, but combined with ASJ it is difficult to remember a time when the Jets had such an athletic trio of tight ends in camp. Maybe Leggett proves precocious, or Gragg finally puts it all together. There is potential here to surprise on the upside in a big way, more so than perhaps at any other position on the team.

The 2017 Jets have all sorts of questions in the passing game. With a little good fortune the tight ends have the potential to provide some unexpectedly positive answers.

>     https://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/8/10/15684282/ny-jets-the-tight-ends

• 5 weeks later...

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets coach Todd Bowles said TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has "got to get in a little better shape. That's to be expected with two weeks off, but he'll get going." Bowles said it's too early to say for sure that Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday against the Dolphins. It would be a surprise if he's not. The Jets have four other tight ends on the roster, but three are dealing with injuries. Seferian-Jenkins is eligible to return from a two-game suspension.

-- The worst day was Sept. 23, 2016.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins was arrested for DUI and got fired by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. If that wasn't bad enough, it became a full-blown embarrassment when the police dashcam video emerged, showing an apparently drunk Seferian-Jenkins making crude comments in the back seat of the police car.Saturday is the one-year anniversary of rock bottom. The next day, Seferian-Jenkins 2.0 is expected to make his season debut for the New York Jets, who play the Miami Dolphins in their home opener.After serving a two-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, Seferian-Jenkins is ready to begin anew, thankful he still has the opportunity. He acknowledged a drinking problem in the offseason, attended rehab sessions and went public with his battle. He said he has gone 243 days without a drink.

"I'm fortunate to be standing before y'all, being able to play football with a clear head and a clear mind, a good perspective and healthy," he said Wednesday. "I really appreciate the opportunity to be here because I know how easily it can be taken away from you and how fragile life is. I know a lot of things are in life and everything can change in a split second. It's really a blessing to be standing here."Seferian-Jenkins, claimed on waivers after his release from the Bucs, let his weight balloon to about 290 pounds last season. In the offseason, he moved in with his agent in Las Vegas and trained dawn to dusk, dropping 30-plus pounds in the process.

Oh, the irony. Some people lose their way when they go to Vegas. Seferian-Jenkins rediscovered himself. Now he'd like to serve as an example to others.

"If someone can learn from what I've done, I'd love that," he said. "If I can ever help someone in my situation or a similar situation, I'd love to be there for them. I know how it is. I know how lonely it is. I know how tough it is and how easy it is not to talk about it, and how easy it is to ignore and not face it head-on.

"Example? You can call it that. I just want to be a friend to somebody who needs the help."Coach Todd Bowles wouldn't say Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday, but it's trending in that direction. Unlike past years, the Jets would like to utilize the tight end in their passing attack. After two games, the tight ends have only seven catches.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71436/austin-seferian-jenkins-is-243-days-into-new-lifestyle-and-ready-to-play

Austin Seferian-Jenkins returned to the Jets' lineup for the first time in 2017 and reflected on what it was like to have to watch from the sideline.rn

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/newyork/playPopup?id=20807203ed to the Jets' lineup for the first time in 2017 and reflected on what it was like to have to watch from the sideline.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who dropped about 32 pounds in the offseason, said today, "It's like playing in a whole different body." In his season debut yesterday, he caught five passes and played in 48 of 63 snaps on offense. He also was pleased with his improvement as a run blocker.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

~ ~ TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins : The phantom fumble goes on his record, but that shouldn't detract from a superb performance. He finished with a career-high eight catches and a touchdown, and it should've been two touchdowns. When was the last time a tight end was such an integral part of the Jets' passing attack ? Dustin Keller ?

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72138/jamal-adams-coaching-decisions-under-scrutiny-in-jets-loss

27 minutes ago, kelly said:

~ ~ TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins : The phantom fumble goes on his record, but that shouldn't detract from a superb performance. He finished with a career-high eight catches and a touchdown, and it should've been two touchdowns. When was the last time a tight end was such an integral part of the Jets' passing attack ? Dustin Keller ?

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72138/jamal-adams-coaching-decisions-under-scrutiny-in-jets-loss

Dude IF he stays off the sauce, continues to commit himself to the game like he has in the last 10 Months he will be a top TE in this league for a long time, and the Jets better not let him slip away.

37 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude IF he stays off the sauce, continues to commit himself to the game like he has in the last 10 Months he will be a top TE in this league for a long time, and the Jets better not let him slip away.

If Mac let's him make it to the end of the year without a new contract, there is a decent chance he goes somewhere else.  We can basically mark him to market this year (less the suspension) and then sign him for a fair amount for a few years after that.   So both sides can win.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Mac let's him make it to the end of the year without a new contract, there is a decent chance he goes somewhere else.  We can basically mark him to market this year (less the suspension) and then sign him for a fair amount for a few years after that.   So both sides can win.

He should be signed if he keeps this trajectory.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

If he continues to play like this, and IMO he won't just play like he has I think he actually gets better as the season goes on becoming a premier offensive threat that opposing teams will have to game plan specifically for, and that IMO won't even stop him as he gets more playing time, knowledge of the offense, hopefully offensive game plans to get him the ball at all costs like the Chiefs do with Kelce, and Saints did with Graham, and if I am right you have to franchise tag him if you can't, or don't want to risk a long term contract on him in case he falls off the wagon, but you don't let him walk away again unless he falls off the wagon.  

I've seen enough of these cases in the NFL, and ASJ seems to be on the right path to fixing his issues off the field, the way he carrys himself, the apparent hard work he put in during the offseason away from the team when it's the most likely, and easiest time for a player to go back down the wrong path, and the way he spoke yesterday after the game that's a person who's committed to trying to better himself each, and every day staying positive at all costs, and understands he has been blessed to not only been given the talent to play this game, but given a 2nd chance to be successful, and he isn't gonna mess it up this time.

Well that's my perception of him right now, and IF the Jets do sign him long term I would be able to finally find a player I'd be willing to spend some money on to get his jersey since 2009 Revis!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived